Photo
- - - - -

Play Star Wars: The Old Republic FREE this weekend(17th till the 21st)

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:06 PM

http://www.swtor.com...ourceid=eag3770

FAQ(also posted below under spoiler):

http://www.swtor.com...aq/game#q400211

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#2 RiPPn

RiPPn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

Nice, going to give this a try even with all the bad press, thanks op!

125365.png

#3 ephermal

ephermal

The Dragonmaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

I play; it's a decent game; is it worth 15 a month, I honestly don't know. I have unsubscribed but got my jedi knight to 50 and completed the class missions. It is fun gets repetitive quick!

#4 daminion

daminion

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

my son has been begging me to get this for him. i'll let him try it this weekend to see if it's really something he wants to spend his money on.

#5 Flacksguy

Flacksguy

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

Well, my motto is:
If it's free it's for me

So I'll give this a try after work.

#6 Versafied

Versafied

Formerly known as vlv723

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

Thanks IATCG. Gonna try this as well this weekend. May be a free to play MMORPG soon enough.

But damn, 25 GB download.

#7 Bosamba

Bosamba

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

They should have gone with the Guild Wars 2 business model with this game (Pay $60 but with no subscription fee). I played for the first 30 days and didn't renew. I would have gladly still played it, but there just wasn't enough content to justify the subscription fee.

Thanks for the post IATCG.
:grouphug:

Wondering which platform to buy the game for? Use Mr. Slimm's Blog http://misterslimm.w...ce-off-results/

Interested in a PC game but not sure if your rig can run it? Go here http://www.systemreq...tslab.com/cyri/

#8 mkaliaz

mkaliaz

Scurvy Dog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

I subbed for 4 months. If you like MMOs and Bioware games, you will enjoy this....for a while. Just keep in mind this really is a single player game they converted to an MMO. In my opinion, it doesn't have lasting appeal.

#9 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

How many of these free weekends are they going to have? It doesn't really seem worthwhile given the size of the download, especially since you can only participate in one of these.

#10 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

They should have gone with the Guild Wars 2 business model with this game (Pay $60 but with no subscription fee).

Yeah, except for who controls the license. Lucas would never allow it.

#11 LazyTriangle

LazyTriangle

flashbang dance

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

But damn, 25 GB download.

Wow that's huge, I want to give it a try but a 25GB download will take forever on my connection

AnQAzfm.png

#12 HisDivineOrder

HisDivineOrder

Embrace the Dealness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

I've played a bit of this game and I thought it was fine for giving you a decent story (especially for SWKOTOR fans) in MMO trappings.

But its MMO trappings are subpar compared to other games, especially WoW. I don't think it's worth the $15 per month. I played a few months after release and it was virtually a single player experience for me, which is fine by me since that's what I wanted. I wish they'd just released a single player sequel to KOTOR instead that I could pay for once and not pay monthly for.

#13 HydroX

HydroX

Quintessential Studmuffin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

Well, my motto is:
If it's free it's for me

So I'll give this a try after work.

Weird. Mine is:

If it's free, then it's for me, and I'll take three.

*hoard*

#14 RiPPn

RiPPn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

Been playing a couple hours in, playing a bounty hunter. Game is pretty fun, but yeah seems like a single player game where you can see other players running around doing single player tasks. They probably should have adopted the Diablo 3 experience rather than make it an mmo. But greed told them they could soak people for 60+ for the software and another 15 a month, I personally don't think I'll play beyond the free weekend unless I can get the software for 10 or 20 and maybe play for a month or 2 to complete a couple of different characters missions.

125365.png

#15 Calipso

Calipso

Der Metzgermeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:13 AM

I like the OP and his contributions but one star thread for the terribad game. Get to 50, get battlemaster....game over.

Enjoy your 100 million dollar SINGLE PLAYER online RPG. Even with a guild of almost 100 (recruits and members) couldn't save this shit game for me.
Currently playing:
:pc: - Red Orchestra 2
:pc: - Killing Floor
:pc: - SimCity 4
:360: - Uno
:360: - Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

#16 speedwerd

speedwerd

That Groupees OP Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:22 AM

Might be cool

I have a gut feeling that TOR will go free to play here soon.
Also they patched the best bug in the game a while ago :(
Spoiler

#17 JetTone

JetTone

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:28 AM

They still have over a million subscribers so it's not a failure, but just not the mega success they expected. I doubt it'll go free to play since they haven't even started merging servers yet. And Warhammer, another EA mmo still hasn't gone free to play.

#18 Nintendokid54

Nintendokid54

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:30 AM

Wow that's huge, I want to give it a try but a 25GB download will take forever on my connection

even with fios i think that will take a while for me too...

76561198020429748.png

#19 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

Wish I'd have seen this last night. Hopefully it'll DL during the day and when I get home will be done... that's just a massive DL right there.
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#20 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

They still have over a million subscribers so it's not a failure, but just not the mega success they expected.

2.1 down to 1.2. Pro-tip: losing almost half your playerbase in the first quarter is not growth.

#21 nervousxtian

nervousxtian

proofisindeepudding

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

never freaking mind.. downloading now

#22 Calipso

Calipso

Der Metzgermeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:48 PM

2.1 down to 1.2. Pro-tip: losing almost half your playerbase in the first quarter is not growth.

In bizarro world it is.
Currently playing:

#23 JetTone

JetTone

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:55 PM

I never said the game was growing and in fact besides WoW and EVE, MMOs lose population over their lifetime from the first month so this is normal. Having a population of 1 million plus would've been deemed a great success but because of the crazy stupid numbers WoW has it's now a failure.

#24 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:22 AM

I subbed for 4 months, but now my server is a ghost town, so I'm waiting for a server merge. Other than that it's a terrific game!

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#25 Calipso

Calipso

Der Metzgermeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

I subbed for 4 months, but now my server is a ghost town, so I'm waiting for a server merge. Other than that it's a terrific game!

Have you played since launch? If by terrific you mean terrible then I agree.

I loved this game and spent more time playing it per week then my full-time job.

Gets old fast. No sandbox, no user based content. I would have much rather prefered a KOTOR III.
Currently playing:

#26 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

I never said the game was growing and in fact besides WoW and EVE, MMOs lose population over their lifetime from the first month so this is normal. Having a population of 1 million plus would've been deemed a great success but because of the crazy stupid numbers WoW has it's now a failure.

My point was there's a bigger picture and I don't see them retaining a comfortable profit margin for long.

#27 reininop

reininop

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

I don't know what it is (besides my server that has never had more than 100 people on at once), but I feel this game is more repetitive than most MMO's.

I enjoyed the beta, and the differences it had from other MMO's, but having played a Jedi Knight to 50 and a Sage to 14 right now, it just feels like an on-rails single player game now.

Crafting is non-existent. You hit a button and pay lots of money to have one of your NPC companions go look for crafting mats, he returns sometime later. In the upper tiers, he won't return for over an hour. Then you hit another button for him to go make the item when you have all the mats. He will again return in an hour. There are so many schematics, but they are all generic names (Might Hilt 22).

Though their is different gear in the game, the only gear you will use is the modifiable gear that all has the same base stats and you just put in class specific mods. There are 3 - 4 modifiable slots in each piece, but you are basically looking for the same modification to put in each piece of gear. I'm a jedi knight sentinel, so I look for a bunch of might and assault enhancements. Every two levels, I look for or craft the next modification and stick it in the same armor I had the other one in. There's really never the sense you're going to get a really cool piece of gear.

Though playing an MMO, it feels like a single player RPG. The problem with that is that you never get that badass superman feeling you would have playing a single-player one. There will always be guys standing on some corner somewhere that you can't hope to take down alone, but in the story you take down every sith lord you encounter. Kind of a disconnect I had trouble rectifying.

PVP isn't bad, but it's a game of crowd control. You will spend more time stunned then you will fighting if you are taking on more than one person. And it takes a real pro to win a 2 on 1 fight. 3 on 1, doesn't matter how good you are, you will barely get a hit off between the stuns.
[URL="http://social.bioware.com/brc/541664"][/URL]

#28 JetTone

JetTone

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

My point was there's a bigger picture and I don't see them retaining a comfortable profit margin for long.

I'm not actually sure they're making a profit right now, or at least not a comfortable one. I remember reading a month or two back that they needed a population of at least a million to pay for upkeep and current development. So considering the $200 million or however much it originally cost to develop they're in a world of trouble if they need a million strong population just for upkeep.

With my seemingly pro-EA phase out of the way, this game is terrible. It is mostly a single player experience. 90% of the content is wholly soloable with the group stuff being a pain to do since they have a very piss-poor LFG interface. And to do the main group quests you need to hang back on the fleet hoping to get a party together so you can't actually do anything but sit around and wait on the fleet. And as you advance in level expect each planet to have less and less people on it and thus less and less grouping and chatter till around a dozen or less at the final planet.

Then there is the suppose major strength of this game which is the story but each class story is only about 10 percent if even that of the journey to 50 so you'll be doing 90% of the same quests over and over. And then then the bugs which I won't get into. Yea, this game has problems.

#29 InvaderZim

InvaderZim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

The fact that they charge a monthly fee is the real stinger...

#30 AnchorsAway

AnchorsAway

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

I think once 1.3 is out (LFG Tool & free server transfers) and people are sick of Diablo 3 (I already am, that's another story though), they'll return to check out what's new. There's not a whole lot on the horizon besides Guild Wars 2's beta weekends, there won't be anything new concerning world of warcraft until the expansion launch and the Tera hype seems to be dying down now.