Photo
- - - - -

XBLA: Double Dragon: Neon - 800 Points - Out now. Free soundtrack!

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:15 AM

KNeu1VHR2eQ

Double Dragon: Neon is a reimagining of the original Double Dragon game, complete with lots of new levels, enemies, and features. It sports some great co-op elements like high-fiving the other player for buffs and the ability to revive the other player by rewinding his 'cassette.' This Double Dragon is a love-letter to the 80's with a sense of humor and silliness thrown in for good measure. I played it at E3 and really enjoyed it.

Get the soundtrack for free at doubledragonneon.com.

Edited by eastx, 13 September 2012 - 05:45 PM.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#2 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

Looks good. Feels like it is missing something. Maybe I'm just spoiled by more recent beat'em ups like Scott Pilgrim.

#3 HydroX

HydroX

Quintessential Studmuffin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:44 PM

When seeing the boss fight it sort of reminded me of Donkey Kong Country.

I'll likely pass. I still have the original on my 360 hard drive and it never gets much play.

#4 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:14 PM

Is it a new game, or a reskin of the original? I'm not likely to buy it either way, but I'm curious about it.

Crunchewy.png

#5 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:43 PM

wow...they really did a great job on the bounce physics.

it looks both great and horrible.

#6 mrx001

mrx001

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

Hmmm...I'll give them 800 points.

#7 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

Is it a new game, or a reskin of the original? I'm not likely to buy it either way, but I'm curious about it.

Well a "reskin" would imply it plays identically to the original, and that definitely isn't the case here. It looks like a remake that kind of adheres to the original, although not as much as something like TMNT Re-Shelled did (which redid all the visuals and made very slight alterations to gameplay but layout-wise was the same as the original).

it looks both great and horrible.

I agree with you other than the "great" part. Looks like a Dreamcast-era game.
Posted Image

#8 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:32 PM

Well a "reskin" would imply it plays identically to the original, and that definitely isn't the case here. It looks like a remake that kind of adheres to the original, although not as much as something like TMNT Re-Shelled did (which redid all the visuals and made very slight alterations to gameplay but layout-wise was the same as the original).

The looks great part was mainly due to the bounce physics...2 things i didn't like at all were the health/energy meter design and how the 3-D graphics don't match the 2-D graffitti in the background.

#9 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:31 AM

Let's check out a Dreamcast-era beat-em-up, shall we?

ci0-evGe070

Hyperbole, my greatest enemy! ;)

-Paul Acevedo

#10 Danimal

Danimal

CheapAssing it Since 2003

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

Looks like it could be all right. I'm interested enough that I'll pay attention to what kind of word-of-mouth it gets when it comes out. If I'm hearing good things, and if it's not more than 800 points, I'll probably jump in.
Posted Image

#11 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:30 AM

Here's me and a friend playing Neon at E3:

nu8R4GNcZTw

And the promised interview with the game's producer. Question inspired by Joe (but surely not answered to his satisfaction)!

WV7txEL13PY

And here's an article about my favorite E3 XBLA games, including Neon and others. Please visit and leave a comment as that helps us look good to the developers, etc.

-Paul Acevedo

#12 DurbanBrown

DurbanBrown

to the MOON

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

ill buy this

Zombies-Sig.jpg

last.fm: shroomer1999                                                                  Designed By Lilchiji

#13 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:29 AM

Kind of reminds me of TMNT Re-Shelled, and that sucked. It would look more fun if they moved faster, they walk too slow. Not interested, i already have the old DD on xbox.

TwitterIcon2.png the7thnumber.png

#14 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:53 AM

Kind of reminds me of TMNT Re-Shelled, and that sucked. It would look more fun if they moved faster, they walk too slow. Not interested, i already have the old DD on xbox.

They certainly don't move any slower than the original Double Dragon, or most beat-em-ups. It's also nothing like Re-Shelled since this is a total re-imagining rather than a remake of a classic game with worse controls/combat.

-Paul Acevedo

#15 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:19 AM

Double Dragon Neon's Achievements are 'Wizard' cool

Seriously, it has a fun Achievement list that reveals a few new things about the game. In my article I comment on the most noteworthy of them.

-Paul Acevedo

#16 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:15 PM

Doesn't look as bad as I initially thought. Still, even for 800 points I don't know about this one yet. Just a generic beat em' up, not that there's anything wrong with that but I have 4 or 5 of them already.

#17 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

Good gravy that game looks like shit.

#18 akilshohen

akilshohen

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:56 PM

So hyped for this, this is my video from E3.

#19 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:16 AM

I still don't understand why no one hasn't just ripped off atlus' style and made a new double dragon based on that.

#20 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:03 AM

What's this Atlus style you speak of?

#21 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

This game looks absolutely terrible.

#22 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

What's this Atlus style you speak of?

Double Dragon Advance. I think million made it but Atlus published it. That game is the fucking shit and just about the perfect beat em up.

#23 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

I never played the DD Advance game. Looks good.

I always thought beat em' ups could benefit from a game to kick the genre into a new level. Still waiting

#24 MutantLeagueDave

MutantLeagueDave

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

I'm looking forward to this. I'll probably wait on a sale as I l did for x-Men and Simpsons Arcade. But for a re-imagined Double D? I am happy someone made it. Thanks for the Youtube gameplay and interview as it made brought more excitement my way. I really hope it's good. Let's go back to the 80's!

#25 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:49 PM

I'll wait for a sale.
Posted Image

#26 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:47 PM

Seems ok but this is definitely a 5 dollar game. This is one you'll never touch again once you finish it. Fighting system is a bit deeper than the original games. GREAT music.

Still looks and feels like a Dreamcast game...Dynamite Cop-py. Some humor you'll hate yourself for laughing at for being so corny. Demo is decent length so you'll definitely know if you want more of the same after you're through with it. For now the demo is plenty for me. See you in December when it's on sale.

...of course, if XBox Live didn't suck compared to PSN+ these days, the price wouldn't matter, since PSN+ members are getting this one for free.

Edited by KaneRobot, 12 September 2012 - 02:19 PM.

Posted Image

#27 DurbanBrown

DurbanBrown

to the MOON

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

IGN gave it a 3

Zombies-Sig.jpg

last.fm: shroomer1999                                                                  Designed By Lilchiji

#28 madcyantist

madcyantist

Impulsive Buyer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

HUGE DD1 and DD2 fan here. WOW. This does not look attractive to me in the least. Going to have to check out the trial before I make a decision but fairly certain this is going to have to hit 400 points or lower... for me to purchase.

#29 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:50 PM

Double Dragon Advance. I think million made it but Atlus published it. That game is the fucking shit and just about the perfect beat em up.

This game is pretty bad but I still had fun with it, of the 2 levels I played last night. It could also be that I got it for free with PSN Plus. It is still makes you wonder though why something like this would come out when Double Dragon Advance destroyed this game on every level. That game is a gem. I would love an HD port of that!

jkam2.png

Quitter (My Band)    -    Trade List    -    Join Bing Rewards

#30 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

Guys, if you don't like the game, try to explain why with your words. That's much more interesting. All the major review sites besides IGN are loving it though.

My latest story:
Double Dragon: Neon doesn't support online co-op at launch. Get the soundtrack for free now!

-Paul Acevedo