Nintendo E3 2012 Week (CHAT IS UP)

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#1 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:54 PM

This is the week that has been in our dreams and nightmares for the past year. E3 2012. This week Nintendo will finally allow the Ninjas to back down so third parties along with themselves can announce software that is in development for Wii U, as well as some 3DS stuff. Who knows what will be announced, but there is only one thing for certain: Our bodies are not Reggie.

ENTER THE CHAT HERE

The Schedule
#1 - Nintendo Direct from E3
Sunday, June 3rd @ 6pm EDT/3pm PDT

#2 - Nintendo E3 Presentation
Tuesday, June 5th @ 12n EDT/9am PDT

#3 - Developer Discussion (Pre-Recorded)
Tuesday, June 5th @ 2:30pm EDT/11:30am PDT

#4 - Nintendo 3DS Software Showcase
Wednesday, June 6th @ 9pm EDT/6pm PDT

New Games Already Announced for Wii U thus far
Injustice: Gods Among Us (Warner Bros.)
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformer (Sega)
Rayman Legends (Ubisoft - Exclusive)
ZombiU (Ubisoft - Exclusive)
Avengers: Battle for Earth (Ubisoft)
Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft)
Rabbids Playland (Ubisoft)

Edited by KingBroly, 05 June 2012 - 03:31 PM.

Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#2 coolz481

coolz481

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:56 AM

Can't wait to find out what EAD, Good Feel and Retro Studios have been up to. Hopefully some more console 2D goodness is coming our way soon! Would love to hear about a North American release of DQX while they're at it.
\\:D/

#3 wampa8jedi

wampa8jedi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

Interesting move on Nintendo's part to split the conferences up so much... here's to hoping that it's because they have a lot to talk about!
[chipinsig]e944447abb96f9f0[/chipinsig]

#4 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

Interesting move on Nintendo's part to split the conferences up so much... here's to hoping that it's because they have a lot to talk about!

I hope one of the shows is dedicated to the Vitality Sensor.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Valhalla Knights 3 - :-|

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#5 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

Today's Nintendo Direct will not have any Wii U game information. Which means I suspect a lot of trolling to occur. I know it's just game concepts, but I imagine we'll see a Wii game on there, and how it could possibly play on Wii U.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#6 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:52 PM

3 hours to go for today's Nintendo Direct.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#7 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

Today's Nintendo Direct will not have any Wii U game information. Which means I suspect a lot of trolling to occur. I know it's just game concepts, but I imagine we'll see a Wii game on there, and how it could possibly play on Wii U.

I'm expecting lots of videos of models playing games that are never shown in bright white rooms.

#8 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:31 PM

That was awesome.

Wii U Pro Controller Confirmed
Voice Chat with old people Confirmed
Miiverse Confirmed
UI Confirmed
Messaging Confirmed
Surprise Pictures Confirmed

Also, what looked to be New Super Mario World was shown.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#9 wampa8jedi

wampa8jedi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:38 PM

Very impressed with the social component of the system. I'm already sold on the system day one, but was pleased to see that Nintendo is taking a significant step into the online world.
[chipinsig]e944447abb96f9f0[/chipinsig]

#10 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

Posted Image

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#11 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

Man that was stupid. A couple interesting ideas, a few strange ones. The controllers look awkward (don't like the super high position of the sticks) but I'll try them out before I pass final judgement.

Part of me is saying "Don't get burned like with the Wii. Not worth it to buy a system for only a handful of games"

A bigger part of me is saying "If Zelda, Mario, or Metroid available at launch, must have!"... C'mon Nintendo, have a shitty launch lineup so I can save some money...
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#12 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:53 PM

I am sure there are plenty who will love the social features on the Wii U but I just do not feel it. You can already see what kind of nonsense is written on most comment boards and to be inundated with that every place I go will get old old old. It is most likely my age but I just want to play games...the social stuff is of no interest to me on ANY system.
Posted Image

#13 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:54 PM

Part of me is saying "Don't get burned like with the [INSERT NAME OF CURRENT-GEN NINTENDO CONSOLE HERE]. Not worth it to buy a system for only a handful of games"

A bigger part of me is saying "If Zelda, Mario, or Metroid available at launch, must have!"... C'mon Nintendo, have a shitty launch lineup so I can save some money...

I fixed this for you so you can just pop in the name every 5 years instead of having to type all of that out! :D

I feel exactly the same way as you do. Ugh.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#14 coolz481

coolz481

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:57 PM

Interesting stuff, particularly if they have found a way to incorporate the Demon's Souls hint system into all of their software offerings. Seems as if the single-touch pad is confirmed too. I can't wait to see the titles Tuesday!
\\:D/

#15 mrx001

mrx001

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:58 PM

Is Nintendo trying to offend me?Goes to show you how Nintendo views its market or fans.

Edited by mrx001, 04 June 2012 - 12:26 AM.

#16 Scobie

Scobie

CAG City Rocker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:32 AM

Posted Image

You see, we laugh, but some of my most loyal gaming friends are in the mid- to late-60s. Vietnam Vets, and they will destroy you on Rainbow Six, COD, and Ghost Recon.
Posted Image

#17 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:41 AM

Very impressed with the social component of the system. I'm already sold on the system day one, but was pleased to see that Nintendo is taking a significant step into the online world.

I find this odd too... for a company that gave us and where so adamant about friend codes and were all about "oh! think of the children!!", this seems like a significant leap.

I'm still waiting to see some real games though... a new Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros., Pikmin, anything besides ports of games we already played last year. And I'm still holding out hopes of HD upscaling for Wii games but I doubt that will happen.

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#18 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:17 AM

And I'm still holding out hopes of HD upscaling for Wii games but I doubt that will happen.

My understanding of this - based on what people have said in other threads and on other sites - is that (beyond Nintendo's official word of saying it won't happen) it wouldn't be possible unless the emulation is done through software. This is why Dolphin on PCs can handle it, because you're effectively telling the software to run games at higher resolutions, which is why it needs more powerful hardware.

This means that - like with the Wii - the emulation is almost absolutely going to be hardware based, which will ensure backwards compatibility since the hardware is essentially the same.

In other words, it's not going to happen, and there's little reason to continue hoping for so.

As a side note, Sony's take of this - by doing BC via cloud gaming in Gaikai or whoever they are going to announce a partnership with tomorrow - is actually really interesting, and is a strangely elegant solution. I imagine in the future that most everyone will follow that model, since it has certain advantages over traditional models.

Also, holy shit - Scobie is alive.

Posted Image

Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#19 pjb16

pjb16

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:18 AM

I am sure there are plenty who will love the social features on the Wii U but I just do not feel it. You can already see what kind of nonsense is written on most comment boards and to be inundated with that every place I go will get old old old. It is most likely my age but I just want to play games...the social stuff is of no interest to me on ANY system.

Same here.

#20 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:37 AM

My understanding of this - based on what people have said in other threads and on other sites - is that (beyond Nintendo's official word of saying it won't happen) it wouldn't be possible unless the emulation is done through software. This is why Dolphin on PCs can handle it, because you're effectively telling the software to run games at higher resolutions, which is why it needs more powerful hardware.

This means that - like with the Wii - the emulation is almost absolutely going to be hardware based, which will ensure backwards compatibility since the hardware is essentially the same.

In other words, it's not going to happen, and there's little reason to continue hoping for so.

As a side note, Sony's take of this - by doing BC via cloud gaming in Gaikai or whoever they are going to announce a partnership with tomorrow - is actually really interesting, and is a strangely elegant solution. I imagine in the future that most everyone will follow that model, since it has certain advantages over traditional models.

Consoles have dedicated hardware which doesn't have to worry about an OS or background applications running so they should be able to do it (and strangely, my PC can run Wii games better than they can PS2 games), whether through some add on hardware or software.

My logic (which is in no way technical) is that if Sony could do it via hardware on the early PS3s and through software on the 2nd gen PS3s, why can't Nintendo do the same with the Wii U? Sure the Wii is more power than the PS2, but the Wii U is likely going to be noticeably more powerful than the PS3. I'm guesing cost is a factor but seeing as how people have been clamoring for a HD Wii, it seems like such a useful addition.

My money's on Nintendo wanting to get in on the HD "remake" market... but either way, I get it, it's a pipe dream.

Overall, I'm pretty sick of all these companies wanting to double dip on the games we already purchased though (unless they're actual HD remakes).

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#21 Scobie

Scobie

CAG City Rocker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:40 AM

Yeah man. Never really went away... mainly read through the boards without logging in. Thank you and thanks to all the others for keeping things going here and keeping the faith.
Posted Image

#22 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:41 AM

Vin, I can't tell if you trying to intentionally miss the point or not, and then parlaying that into some typical "this is anti-consumer" rant to cover your tracks.

Posted Image

#23 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:07 AM

Is Nintendo trying to offend me?Goes to show you how Nintendo views its market or fans.

It is because the hardcore gaming market hasn't been Nintendo's market for a long time, ever since Sony and then later Microsoft took it away.

Nintendo knows that they need to grow the market for themselves, and that market isn't just among the core gamer community.

That's not to say that they can't do a better job with the core gamer (and I don't think creating OMG 1337 gaming system is a good solution for them, given the amount of money Sony and Microsoft can throw around.), but I don't expect whatever Nintendo does is going to ever blow them away, because Nintendo is going for a broader audience.

Personally, I see a lot of good things in that presentation to make consoles a better social hub for gamers, and to extend things beyond just gaming. What I also see is also a good platform for Skype-like abilities that don't require much overhead to set up. It is going to be interesting to see if they are going to try to tie into other social networks.
Posted Image

#24 Schuey

Schuey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:48 AM

all this wii u news is fantastic, but i still expect release dates for paper mario 3d and luigi's mansion 2 to be announced.

#25 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:51 AM

Everything about this smells exactly the same as every other Nintendo Press Conference over the last decade.

A. Nintendo is late to the game. Announcing features like online communities and connectivity amongst various devices have all been done by other consoles for years now. Oh boy, HD content, that would be really exciting if this was 2006!

B. Pushing secondary features like social networking connectivity, online features, and the ability to connect with other devices is great, but at the end of the day, this is a VIDEO GAME CONSOLE. It's not computer, it's not a tablet, it's not a television, and it's not a cell phone. I want a video game console that plays video games. If I want to keep in touch or connect with my friends, I'm not going to do it on my Wii. Here is a quote directly from Nintendo's Facebook page:

"Nintendo Global President Satoru Iwata says that Wii U will bring people together, uniting them whether they’re in the same room or great distances apart."

Seriously? Microsoft has had their online network running for almost a decade now, and Sony's has been around for 5 or 6 years. People have been connecting through Facebook for years now, and e-mail longer than that. People don't need anymore help connecting or uniting, they're already there.

Is Nintendo even in the Video Game business anymore? It's almost as though they're more interested in everything except the games. To me, Nintendo is now the WWE of video games. WWE made millions in the pro wrestling business, promoting wresting matches, and marketing wrestlers. If you were to ask them today what it is that they do, they would say that they are in the global entertainment business. What they do isn't Pro Wresting anymore, in fact they're embarrassed the concept. Nintendo is the same way, except with Video Games.

The Wii U is not a video game console. They don't consider themselves in competition with MS or Sony, they're in a market of their own. So, my question is, who is Nintendo's market? What will the WiiU be able to do that other devices won't? If Nintendo can't answer this question, and I don't have faith that they will, then they've lost me as a consumer.

#26 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:55 AM

Everything about this smells exactly the same as every other Nintendo Press Conference over the last decade.

A. Nintendo is late to the game. Announcing features like online communities and connectivity amongst various devices have all been done by other consoles for years now. Oh boy, HD content, that would be really exciting if this was 2006!

B. Pushing secondary features like social networking connectivity, online features, and the ability to connect with other devices is great, but at the end of the day, this is a VIDEO GAME CONSOLE. It's not computer, it's not a tablet, it's not a television, and it's not a cell phone. I want a video game console that plays video games. If I want to keep in touch or connect with my friends, I'm not going to do it on my Wii. Here is a quote directly from Nintendo's Facebook page:

"Nintendo Global President Satoru Iwata says that Wii U will bring people together, uniting them whether they’re in the same room or great distances apart."

Seriously? Microsoft has had their online network running for almost a decade now, and Sony's has been around for 5 or 6 years. People have been connecting through Facebook for years now, and e-mail longer than that. People don't need anymore help connecting or uniting, they're already there.

Is Nintendo even in the Video Game business anymore? It's almost as though they're more interested in everything except the games. To me, Nintendo is now the WWE of video games. WWE made millions in the pro wrestling business, promoting wresting matches, and marketing wrestlers. If you were to ask them today what it is that they do, they would say that they are in the global entertainment business. What they do isn't Pro Wresting anymore, in fact they're embarrassed the concept. Nintendo is the same way, except with Video Games.

The Wii U is not a video game console. They don't consider themselves in competition with MS or Sony, they're in a market of their own. So, my question is, who is Nintendo's market? What will the WiiU be able to do that other devices won't? If Nintendo can't answer this question, and I don't have faith that they will, then they've lost me as a consumer.

CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#27 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:57 AM

Really glad to see they have a traditional controller for the system.

I was shocked at how similar it looked to the 360 controller, which isn't a bad thing as the 360 controller is one of the most comfortable/ergonomic controllers I've used.

Also excited for the Nintendo Network, although I hope they can somehow compensate customers who have already downloaded games on their Wii.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#28 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:58 AM

Posted Image

#29 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:59 AM

Someone clearly doesn't visit these boards that often.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#30 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:03 AM

He only shows up on the N boards to troll. Been that way for years now.

Posted Image