North Korea

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

So I think this is one of the most fascinating parts of the world. Completely isolated like a rainforest tribe, but with the technology handy to be a threat (though how credible of one is debateable) to their neighbors. The whole country is awash in propaganda and families have portraits of the dear leader and not of themselves. It's simply amazing.

One of my new favourite websites is a propaganda news outlet:
http://www.kcna.co.jp/index-e.htm
It's an interesting read to say the least. Not only that, but it's coded in what appears to be the internet from 1995...

The land of darkness:
Posted Image

That speck of light you see is the capital, Pyong Yang. The rest of the country is just nothing.

With a Lat of 39.9.10, they're roughly equal to northern Missouri but the climate is totally different due to winds from Siberia during the winter and monsoon season during the summer.

Feel free to share thoughts, opinions and facts.
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2

#2 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

It just strikes me as odd that the people have never fought back against the regime. I wish that they could experience what it feels like to be a free people, and hope at some point the rage inside all of them boils into rebellion.

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#3 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

I wish I could find the video again. I once watched this excellent documentary shot inside NK. The part I remember best is where a doctor from Nepal helped someone with severe vision problems (can't remember what exactly). After the bandages were removed and they were able to see, they thanked the dear leader. Not the doctor who did this for them, dear leader. They got up and thanked a portrait of Kim Jong-il.

See, many people have this idea that religion doesn't exist in NK, and that isn't true. They worship the Kims.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#4 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:41 PM

They still worship the dead guy, don't they? Is he still technically ruling the country?

UjCoyFa.png

#5 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

nah, it's his kid now.

That video is a NatGeo Expose thing and it's on nflx right now. It's simultaneously hilarious and sad.

I think the lack of revolt is because of the rewards given to those who are loyal. High ranking people live like kings and they've got gulags that keep people in line. If you're a dissident, you usually just get killed but your family has to live in a prison camp. That's your entire extended family...
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2

#6 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

They're so well brain washed that most of the them could not be convinced that their government does anything wrong. The younger ones, maybe, they haven't been indoctrinated as long. But there is little to no chance of convincing the older population. Sure the loyalists know it's mostly bullshit, although ?I'm sure they're buying it a little as well. Technically I believe Kim Il-Sung is still considered their leader, despite being dead for years.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#7 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

It just strikes me as odd that the people have never fought back against the regime. I wish that they could experience what it feels like to be a free people, and hope at some point the rage inside all of them boils into rebellion.

Well there a lot of reasons for that. I'm a bit of a North Korean obsessive (a cutting edge weeaboo!) so let me just gloss over it.

Basically, if you're born a North Korean you are fucked. Unless by pure luck you are born into the elite then your existence is a daily struggle for sustenance. Supermarket? Lol. What the Fuck is that? No time for fighting when you can't even eat.

Poor education that only gets you to roughly the end of grade school, radios installed in every house blasting propaganda that cannot be turned off, big brother watching everything you do, a paranoid culture of fear that punishes even the slightest redress, etc. Feels bad, man. It's worse than many other regimes throughout history in a lot of ways. Couple this with the fact that the entire infrastructure is controlled by the loyalist military and that the country is pretty well fortified via tunnels and bunkers. You get the idea. There's also NO outside support for a rebellion and it would not end pretty.

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#8 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:02 PM

If there ever was a real attempt at rebellion the government would most likely fall. If for no other reason than you can't have much of a country if you kill a large majority of the population, who are you going to rule over? Besides that, I don't see the major industrial countries of the world just sitting back and watching, it would be the Korean War part deux.

#9 eLefAdEr

eLefAdEr

All Systems Go

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:27 PM

An internal rebellion/civil war has next to no chance of being successful. Any hint of conspiring against the regime and you're thrown into a work camp (which is basically prison).

The brainwashing is so engrained across all ages in their society that it will take generations to undo.

Edited by eLefAdEr, 07 June 2012 - 09:10 PM.

#10 Guest_Pliskin101_*

Guest_Pliskin101_*

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:12 PM

Good thread and I believe the following are appropriate add ons to it...

A Brief History of Korea

http://www.localhist....org/korea.html

The Korean War: An Overview

http://www.bbc.co.uk...hickey_01.shtml

#11 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:25 AM

They have a great subway system. They only show off two stations and one wonders if the rest of it even exists. Reminds me of the Los Angeles subway!

My opinion that the "subway system" in North Korea is used more for defense/military than transportation.

#12 Duo_Maxwell

Duo_Maxwell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:43 AM

They have a great subway system. They only show off two stations and one wonders if the rest of it even exists. Reminds me of the Los Angeles subway!

"It's some kind of large hollow tube, completely devoid of human life..." Ah, it's the Los Angeles Subway"

#13 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:57 AM

This is a good read on why NK remained loyal

http://news.national...er-kim-dynasty/

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#14 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

Yeah I'll never understand people.

Why doesn't NK rise up?

Why do people believe in austerity?

Why would poor and middle-class Americans voluntarily vote Republican?

It's ponderous man.

#15 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

Ignorance. I don't mean ignorance as it's often used, as a synonym for stupidity, I mean actual ignorance.

#16 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

I'm sure people try to rebel now and then...

PaulManda.png

#17 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

Yeah I'll never understand people.

Why doesn't NK rise up?

Why do people believe in austerity?

Why would poor and middle-class Americans voluntarily vote Republican?

It's ponderous man.

Ignorance. I don't mean ignorance as it's often used, as a synonym for stupidity, I mean actual ignorance.

Because they live in a system if you get caught, your whole family get punish? They also live in a system where your friends and family will report you if they suspect of anything?

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#18 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

It's government enforced ignorance, they aren't able to really know what is happening outside. They know what they're told, and that's about it.

#19 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

Interesting article here from some UK journalists who managed to sneak into NK.

http://www.thesun.co...orth-Korea.html

MST3K.gif

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#20 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

I see that the Sun's comment section is about as bad as Yahoo's.

#21 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:59 AM

For the first time since 2010, a North Korean soldier made it across the DMZ, full of landmines and soldiers, to South Korea after he killed two superior officers.

http://www.bbc.com/n...d-asia-19855313

A North Korean soldier has defected to the South across the two countries' heavily armed border, South Korean officials have said.

The soldier said he shot dead two officers before crossing over just after noon (03:00 GMT) on Saturday.

Correspondents say defections across the land border are rare, with the last soldier fleeing in 2010.

More than 20,000 North Koreans have gone to the South in the last 60 years, mostly via China and SE Asia.

The two countries are still technically at war after the 1950-53 conflict, which ended in a ceasefire not a peace treaty.

About a million soldiers and a million land mines line the Demilitarised Zone.

The soldier was quoted as saying that he killed his platoon and company commanders while on guard duty.

A defence ministry official said six gunshots were heard and guards saw the soldier cross the demarcation line on a western section of the tightly guarded border.

They used loudspeakers to establish that he wanted to defect and guide him to safety, they added.

The official said he was in protective custody and was still being interrogated.

There has been no confirmation of the North Korean casualties and no unusual activity observed on the North Korean side of the border.

#22 Knoell

Knoell

Achievement Unlocked

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

I just read somewhere that they are in the Year 100 instead of 2012 because they go by the birth of Kim II Sung.

#23 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

So how does that work? Does he get to stay? Does he get charged with murder despite the fact that he would have been killed for attempting to defect?

PaulManda.png

#24 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

I just read somewhere that they are in the Year 100 instead of 2012 because they go by the birth of Kim II Sung.

Is that any crazier than basing the year off of a religious figure that might not have existed?:roll:

What makes "2012" so much more special than "100?"

#25 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

Japan and Taiwan also use the same thing. Right now it is Heisei 24 for Japan and Minguo 101. Of course the Gregorian calendar is still commonly used so they can be on the same page as the rest of the world. But really of all the things you could make fund of North Korean, this is something that been done for hundreds of years in Asian.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#26 PottyPops

PottyPops

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

Is that any crazier than basing the year off of a religious figure that might not have existed?:roll:

I there is little to no doubt Jesus of Nazareth (as a man) existed. He was mentioned in numerous non-biblical manuscripts as well as in the Koran. The doubt lies in whether or not He was the son of a one true God. But in either case, you do have a point.

#27 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

I there is little to no doubt Jesus of Nazareth (as a man) existed. He was mentioned in numerous non-biblical manuscripts as well as in the Koran. The doubt lies in whether or not He was the son of a one true God. But in either case, you do have a point.

Great username.

PaulManda.png

#28 Knoell

Knoell

Achievement Unlocked

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

Japan and Taiwan also use the same thing. Right now it is Heisei 24 for Japan and Minguo 101. Of course the Gregorian calendar is still commonly used so they can be on the same page as the rest of the world. But really of all the things you could make fund of North Korean, this is something that been done for hundreds of years in Asian.

Actually this has been criticized as an attempt to add a sort of divinity to his reign. They have also named him the "Eternal President"

Your examples aren't much the same either, as one marks the reign of an emperor and the other marks the start of a revolution.

Also I thought it warranted a footnote in the topic, because of what these people have done to their country, and how they are so infatuated with forcing people to adore their "great leader", that it only makes sense for them to take this one step further.

#29 Knoell

Knoell

Achievement Unlocked

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

You have a despot and his family that is infringing on many peoples rights, and you have a man that you say may not have existed 2000 years ago.

Not to mention the spread of the Gregorian calendar was a result of the need for uniformity.

#30 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

In response to North Korea's continued attempt to develop long range missiles, the US has assisted South Korea and Japan with their own missile range limits. South Korean missiles are now capable of reaching a distance of up to 800km, bypassing a previously imposed limit of 300km first established in 2001.

http://www.bbc.com/n...d-asia-19861583