• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 snakemaster2389

snakemaster2389

Temporarily Banned

• Temporarily Banned Users

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

Posted Image

Suprised no one made one yet here on CAG so here it is. Feel free to share your thoughts on the film and what theories you have and things like that. I advise anyone who plans to see it, you must watch it in 3D to get the full experience.

Twitter: @marcandretta check out my reviews @ http://bgbureau.com & www.marcandretta.tumblr.com Check Out My Youtube Channel!http://www.youtube.com/snakemaster2389 NEED A REVIEWER/WRITER? PM ME!!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Soodmeg

Soodmeg

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

#3 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

As I said the big movie thread yesterday, I was very let down as well. Was slow at times, and felt like lots of needed exposition got cut. Maybe there will be a directors cut on BR/DVD that will flesh things out more.

But definitely don't go in expecting it to be on par (or similar to) Alien. It's not a scifi horror movie at all, and only connects loosely with Alien.

I just saw it in 2D as I don't care much for 3D and mainly just see it as a gimmick to sucker more money out of people for already overpriced movie tickets. I go to the movies for the stories, not for the visuals anyway. And that's the main weakness here is the plot is pretty simple, and lots of things that happen kind of come out of nowhere--again probably because of cut scenes.

#4 kodave

kodave

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

The 3D was useless. I don't recommend it.

#5 snakemaster2389

snakemaster2389

Temporarily Banned

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

3d was great, wasn't any gimmick pop outs, it felt comfortable. And yes the movie does leave lots of stuff unansewered but this movie is different than the other Alien movies. I liked it alot and it felt like half Blade Runner and half Alien to me and there was some tense moments but don't go expecting this movie to be like Alien or Aliens. Ridley Scott said there would be no director's cut as the movie is around 2 hr and 4 mins anyway and the first Alien was only 1hr and 50 mins. If you love Ridley Scott and hard sci-fi then def check out Prometheus. I want to see it again because its one of those movies where you just want to see it again and see what you missed out on the first time through.
Twitter: @marcandretta check out my reviews @ http://bgbureau.com & www.marcandretta.tumblr.com Check Out My Youtube Channel!http://www.youtube.com/snakemaster2389 NEED A REVIEWER/WRITER? PM ME!!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

He also said that around 27 minutes of stuff got cut the other day, so who knows.

No directors cut and I definitely won't buy it on Bluray. If there's a longer cut, I'll at least Netflix it to see if I enjoy it more.

#7 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:48 PM

I saw the movie....it is by far the most disappointing movie I have ever seen. If you are an Alien franchise fan than I would advise not even seeing it because its so loosely connected to the canon of the franchise (in fact that change something that has been around for 30 years out of sheer convenience to them) that it will only frustrate you. If they didnt named the movie after the ship you would never even know it was part of the same universe. Read some reviews before you see it because if you come in thinking it is at all connect to the Alien franchise you will be disappointed.

It answers nothing from the original Alien movie like why the ship had Alien eggs as cargo, who were the space jockeys, where did the Aliens come from, why were they engineered. Then it adds a bunch of questions that it doesnt bother answering.

If you think of it has a indie movie then its alright....not good not great just there...at a certain point its clear that Scott is just throwing shit at the wall to see if it sticks

Spoiler

It does have really cool landscapes and the 3d is superb.

I feel like the main reason you didn't like it because you went in with the absolute wrong expectations. It's been said this is NOT a direct prequel to Alien and only eludes to the fact that it take place in the same universe as Alien. I would suggest watching it again and just taking it as it's own movie, but you seem really upset.

I am actually happy that they didn't explain everything to you, it leaves so much to think about. They did give you a lot of hints as to what was going on, so if you have any sort of imagination, you can figure things out for yourself. They also left it pretty open for a sequel so maybe we'll get more direct answers in that.

Anyway, to answer some of your questions:
Spoiler

I loved the movie and can't wait to see it again.

#8 snakemaster2389

snakemaster2389

Temporarily Banned

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

I feel like the main reason you didn't like it because you went in with the absolute wrong expectations. It's been said this is NOT a direct prequel to Alien and only eludes to the fact that it take place in the same universe as Alien. I would suggest watching it again and just taking it as it's own movie, but you seem really upset.

I am actually happy that they didn't explain everything to you, it leaves so much to think about. They did give you a lot of hints as to what was going on, so if you have any sort of imagination, you can figure things out for yourself. They also left it pretty open for a sequel so maybe we'll get more direct answers in that.

Anyway, to answer some of your questions:

Spoiler

I loved the movie and can't wait to see it again.

i agree with u too. movie is great and i need to see it again. its a great movie that makes u think and wonder.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:54 PM

I think most was explained
Spoiler

I do remember that they planed on 3 movies so maybe more will be explained. The one thing I did not like is that the tech seems so much more advanced than in the Alien movies. I know them were made a long time ago but I would have liked for this movie to use the same tech.

Also I saw little point in the 3D other than when
Spoiler
. I did like seeing it in IMAX but could have done without the 3D. I'm going to hold out for a directors cut before I buy it. I felt the film had parts missing however nothing felt like it was needed. It just seemed like something was missing in between some of the scenes.
Posted Image

#10 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

I really enjoyed it. I wasn't looking for super-direct connections to Alien.

I don't really want to spoiler-tag up my post but overall, I really enjoyed it and I absolutely love the first two Alien movies.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#11 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:23 PM

I think most was explained

Spoiler

I do remember that they planed on 3 movies so maybe more will be explained. The one thing I did not like is that the tech seems so much more advanced than in the Alien movies. I know them were made a long time ago but I would have liked for this movie to use the same tech.

Also I saw little point in the 3D other than when
Spoiler
. I did like seeing it in IMAX but could have done without the 3D. I'm going to hold out for a directors cut before I buy it. I felt the film had parts missing however nothing felt like it was needed. It just seemed like something was missing in between some of the scenes.

Spoiler

I thought it was pretty good. Loved Fassbender's performance, and the visuals are pretty amazing on an IMAX screen (I wish you could go to an IMAX without 3D, because that was a waste.).
Posted Image

#12 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:49 PM

Loved this movie, but mostly because Hollywood has practically abandoned sci-fi and this was just the shot I needed. As a fan of Borgias, seeing Sean Harris in this was an awesome surprise as well. Although, his character seemed ill-conceived for a geologist lol. Seemed like he would have been a better fit as the security/merc detail.

That said, the imagery is fantastic and creative; more of this please, Hollywood. This movie really makes me wonder how good Dead Space could have been with good writing, since the intensity and fear is very real on a psychological level during certain events. Excellent pacing, brilliant sets, and the universe it's set in feels very natural rather than over the top like Star Trek or Star Wars.

I think Scott did a good job allowing this one to stand alone from the Alien franchise, even with the connections, so I give it a 9/10. Not everyone will enjoy it, but it's a breath of fresh air to see well-done sci-fi again. Perhaps we could get a new Bladerunner, Ridley? :pray:

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#13 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:57 PM

I absolutely loved the movie. I went to it expecting small allusions to the Alien franchise, but by no means was I expecting any direct references. Because of that, it instantly became one of my favorite sci-fi movies. I'll definitely be buying it on Blu-ray and I can't wait to watch it again.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#14 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

Haven't seen it yet but I plan to. Watched Aliens last night as a warmup.

Perhaps we could get a new Bladerunner, Ridley? :pray:

It's in the works. He's even talking to Harrison Ford about coming back.

#15 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

Haven't seen it yet but I plan to. Watched Aliens last night as a warmup.

There was no need to rewatch Aliens for this movie.

To be perfectly honest with you guys, this movie could have done well without any connections to the Aliens universe.
Spoiler

#16 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

There was no need to rewatch Aliens for this movie.

I know, did it to set a mood and get psyched up for Prometheus, not for a story connection.

#17 Soodmeg

Soodmeg

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:54 PM

#18 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:57 AM

There are some very mixed opinions in here...

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#19 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:15 AM

$$$$a please I came in with the wrong exceptions. It was a classic bait and switch...the movie had barely anything to do with the Alien franchise and Scott and his marketing only dropped 30 hints that it does to get people that many more people to see it.

I would not have saw this movie if it had not constantly shown the Space Jockey in the nav deck, constantly alluded to being about them and what they are about. Like I said, its fine to make whatever movie you want but clearly this movie wasnt suppose to represent anything to do with the Alien franchise so why pretend that it does.

Also, I dont engaged in fake theory...by that I mean I hate the lazy water cooler debate. Lets just throw a scene in here...not explain any of it then let the viewer come up with thousands of theories as part of your ethos. Its lazy.

Now to your point of trying to explain things....no. None of those things are true. That is what I hate about this movie....it deliberately goes against all of the canon of the franchise. Space Jockey ARE NOT HUMANOIDS...period. They state in the original movie that those were bones and in the Predator universe there were always humans with nothing supporting that Space Jockeys pre-date Predators. Since they have been using earth since they found it. They did not create fucking xenomorphs they were the first victims of xenomorphs. It was already explained in other canon forms of media. The pyramid in AvP is actually a Jockey pyramid and they are ones who sacrificed themselves to them.

Spoiler

Spoiler
but Alan Dean Foster who worked with all of the scripts to write the official novels explained and supported almost all the original theories.

Again....I am not saying that you cant make your own movie...but this movie go against the entire 30 years of Alien canon. So it would have be better for him to make his own stand alone movie...I probably still wouldnt have liked it because of the plot holes but at least I wouldnt hate him for it.

O'Bannon explained everything...the ship was not an attack ship, it was not carrying biological weapons, it landed there, notice the entire planet was dead...Space Jockeys found some eggs, decided to take them with them for study. Eggs open....jumps on the face of the pilot before he can take off. He also explains why there is only 1 space jockey in the ship that is 4 times the size of grand canyon.

Again, Scott was vetoed and virtually everything he wrote was re-written because everyone else thought what he was doing was idiotic. Scott isnt the father of Aliens, O'Bannon, Shusett, and the Brandywine are. You guys are going off the words of the guy who directed a movie not the ones who created the universe.

Also I admit I am a huge fanboy for the Alien Franchise which is why I know all of this.....the movie goes against everything of the last 30 years. It would be like if someone told you Sonic isnt an hedgehog he is actually a human with a blue afro. It would be like if Peter Jackson decided that Frodo was just a short human....the movie itself I didnt like but I hate it because it goes directly against the everything I actually loved about the Alien Franchise...(which other than directing the first one had very little to do with for 30 year years.

EDIT:

I know that I am ruining this thread because as I said.. everyone has their golden franchise that they know everything about...I was never into star wars or star treck...I was into Alien. So I wont be debating anything as to not guck up the thread but know that almost everything in this movie was just Scott being an ass because he always wanted to go this direction and no one else on the team did.....almost everything has been explained by the people who first thought it up and most of it was directly opposite of what is in this movie.

The fact that you consider anything from AvP canon makes this post pretty funny to me.
Posted Image

#20 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:59 AM

Avoided all the pre-buzz and saw it in 3D Saturday afternoon. Left feeling it was a "good" movie, but not great. Well directed, certainly. Well shot. Excellent sound and visual fx. Well acted.

Aside from a couple interesting shots, the 3D was generally a waste.

The editing and the story left much to be desired. Plot holes. Stupid choices (honestly, those guys got lost on the way back?). Scenes of characters coming to certain understandings/conclusions, but no pre-scenes supporting those realizations. There's just an awful lot missing.

And
Spoiler

Really need to NOT watch this as an Alien prequel, as that sets up a poor expectation of what the finished product is. That said, I'll eventually see it again - ESPECIALLY if some footage is restored. As-is, it's leaking story ideas all over the place and leaving a muddy puddle underfoot.

#21 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

I didn't read anything up on this beforehand and saw it blind. I didn't even know it had any relation to the Alien films until
Spoiler
, then I remembered "oh yeah, I remember hearing something about that somewhere."

A little long but it's Ridley Scott so I wasn't expecting it to be condensed. They don't make too many movies like these these days, so it was pretty cool in that regard. I probably won't see it again, be it in theater or at home, but it was fine.

Didn't waste the money on the 3D version, I've been done with 3D for a while now.

I know that I am ruining this thread because as I said..

You overestimate the importance of your post. You didn't like it but you like the Alien franchise. Okay, great.
Posted Image

#22 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

The fact that you consider anything from AvP canon makes this post pretty funny to me.

That's what I got stuck on in the post. I don't see how you can count AvP canon unless it is the comics. The movies have been nothing but crap.

I really hope that if the next 2 movies are made a better job explaining things is done. I thought this would take place on LV-426. When I saw the ship land it looks like it does on LV-426. The next in this series need to fix what this did and bridge the gap to Alien. I also think the timeline is off but I don't know why.
Posted Image

#23 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:32 PM

The AvP movies could have been amazing but ended up being so fucked up. I remembered how excited I was when AvP:R was coming out and the trailer made it look like the badass the first one should have been. Now see that series needs a reboot.

#24 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

Put into a decision of making AvP canon or Prometheus canon; Prometheus is clearly the more logical choice. Ridley Scott has been wanting to make a prequel for years to tell a story explaining the setup for Alien.

AvP on the other hand is based on a comic book and an Easter egg from Predator 2. Not to mention the quality if Prometheus is far beyond either AvP movie.

Yeah the AvP stuff was fun to get our Xenomorphs fix but everything about it was wrong. Hell, those movies Fuck up canon themselves, 10 minute facehugger gestation anyone? Or perhaps the fact that the Xenomorphs, despite having a queen in the pyramid make absolutely no attempt to start a hive and just kill everyone they come in contact with...

The novels, comics, AvP movies, etc are fun side stories but they just can't be resolved in canon.

#25 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:22 PM

I liked the movie, I didn't go in expecting another Alien film or a direct sequel so I wasn't as disappointed as other people. As with Scott's films the production design and cinematography was pretty much spot on - it looked fantastic.

I liked that there were many unanswered questions, and sets the film up nicely for Prometheus 2. Something the film has generated is alot of talk / discussion with audiences - just like this thread. Which is good, normally most films these days don't offer up such discussions.

I think if they ever were to reboot or restart the AVP films they need to completely change the tone. The stupid teen characters getting sliced up needs to go. I think the film needs to be back in space / on a different planet and have a dark serious tone.

I would also like to see another Predator film maybe similar to the original.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#26 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:24 PM

I honestly was expecting something scarier.

#27 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

I honestly was expecting something scarier.

You prefer peek-a-boo scares? This movie had some uncomfortable, intense scenes IMO.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#28 Bunneh3000

Bunneh3000

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

:applause:
Look, I like most of the previous Aliens movies minus Aliens 3 and the AvP debacles. This movie is set so far in the 'past' that I don't think it trumps anything. Granted, I haven't read too many of the books or any other material aside from a few novels that Steve Perry did.

Great sci-fi doesn't explain everything and I thought they had a decent balance of 'oh, that connects' and 'wtf... well if that then why ___". Honestly I'm not sure if I care if it connects to the 'canon' of the old movies mainly because I don't think the old movies explained enough in the first place. Not to mention half of the movies were just bad all together. To me, you keep Alien and Aliens and throw out the rest.

It's a little slow at the beginning but it works out. I think the next film will probably be more action packed. This one just builds it.

GO AND SEE GOOD SCI-FI PEOPLE!
Posted Image

#29 Soodmeg

Soodmeg

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

#30 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

To me, you keep Alien and Aliens and throw out the rest.

That's almost the exact thing I said to my friends this weekend. As much as Aliens is my favorite movie franchise, I really don't like the majority of the entries in the series. Alien, Aliens, Prometheus are my faves; Alien 3 and Resurrection are alright; AvPs are fun what-if side stories but let's face it, the questions of canon aren't the only reason they didn't include those movies in the Alien anthology set, they suck...