Ni No Kuni out January 22, 2013

• Please log in to reply
637 replies to this topic

#1 chicagocubsfan

chicagocubsfan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:31 PM

Got an update email from Amazon. Now has Release Day Delivery.

Playing:
:3ds: Pokemon X  :whee: 
:psp:- Killzone Mercenary
:wii:-Wind Waker HD  8-)
:ps3:- Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix, rain   ;)
PSN is chicagocubsfan

#2 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

It sounds like its going to be a solid game throughout, but the cartoon-ness just.....eh.....looks so juvenile, even for how nice it looks. I have faith in Level 5 abilities, and I did really enjoy DQVIII, but I would have preferred a different look

#3 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

I think Level 5 excels at making cell shaded games look great. Plus they are working with the famous animation group Studio Ghibli. Gameplay vids of the game look amazing.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#4 chicagocubsfan

chicagocubsfan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:04 AM

Studio Ghibli + Level 5= win in my book

Playing:
:3ds: Pokemon X  :whee: 
:psp:- Killzone Mercenary
:wii:-Wind Waker HD  8-)
:ps3:- Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix, rain   ;)
PSN is chicagocubsfan

#5 pippin

pippin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

There's going to be a "Wizard's Edition" for Europe, I really hope they do something similar for North America. Spoiler is a picture.

Spoiler

#6 mitch079

mitch079

Microsoft, trollin' like Doink on Crush.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:49 AM

You can pre-order the Wizard's Editon on Namco's website. It's 99.99 plus shipping.

#7 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:56 AM

300 page book that likely costs $10 max, plushie ($5-10?), and DLC that's probably already on the disc...all for an extra $40? Pass.

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#8 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

Anyone have a free shipping code?

#9 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

how is the game anyway? didn't the japanese version came out already? any reviews?

#10 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:30 PM

It sounds like its going to be a solid game throughout, but the cartoon-ness just.....eh.....looks so juvenile, even for how nice it looks. I have faith in Level 5 abilities, and I did really enjoy DQVIII, but I would have preferred a different look

Only kids care about things looking too kiddy.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#11 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:13 AM

how is the game anyway? didn't the japanese version came out already? any reviews?

Ni no Kuni (8/9/10/9, 36 points): Although a bit overshadowed by all the blockbuster Western games coming out, Level-5's PS3 RPG still earned high marks. "The graphics really make you feel like you're exploring an anime world," Famitsu said. "Combined with the impressive music, the atmosphere is perfect. The map's easy to read, too, and it's a snap to see what you're supposed to be doing next. Everything's well-made here, and anyone can enjoy it."

Another reviewer wasn't quite so impressed: "The fact that the Magic Master book is now in-game is something that could divide opinion, I think. It's a well-made, orthodox sort of RPG, but there's no denying that there's little in the way of new ideas here, either."

Link: http://www.1up.com/n...eck-kuni-modern

The PlayStation 3 version of Ni no Kuni scored 36 out of 40 from Famitsu.[27] The magazines PSM3 and Computer and Video Games gave the Japanese version of the game a 91% score,[28] as well as the Best RPG award of E3 2012.[29] In contrast to the DS version, its initial shipment was around 164,000, and in the first week an estimated 65,000 to 67,000 copies were sold

Link: http://en.wikipedia...._Kuni#Reception

Sales charts for JPN 167,000 in total: http://www.vgchartz....-no-joou/Japan/

The handheld version seriously outsold the PS3 version, other than the obvious (since most JPN players play handhelds) that makes little sense to me.

Looking forward to it, as they say don't expect more than what you see and you should enjoy it just fine.
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#12 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:18 AM

It sounds like it didn't do too well in Japan. I can't imagine it being a commercial success here either.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Valhalla Knights 3 - :-|

:ps3: Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#13 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:56 AM

I'm interested in the LE, but I have to order from Scamco's site and pay shipping? Fuck that, I'll just get the regular version. I don't even know if this game is any good. I've heard mixed things. It's Level 5, so it's pretty much guaranteed to be a Fuck up in some way.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#14 Seshka

Seshka

Part-time Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:10 AM

It's been confirmed that NA is also getting the Wizard's Edition.

http://www.siliconer...th-america-too/

suzuhasig_zps1d222231.png

#15 wampa8jedi

wampa8jedi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:13 AM

I definitely want to play this, but will probably wait for a discounted price on it...
[chipinsig]e944447abb96f9f0[/chipinsig]

#16 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:42 AM

I'm interested in the LE, but I have to order from Scamco's site and pay shipping? Fuck that, I'll just get the regular version. I don't even know if this game is any good. I've heard mixed things. It's Level 5, so it's pretty much guaranteed to be a Fuck up in some way.

I know that Famitsu isn't the paragon of what it once was, but I believe that they did manage to pull off a good game. Everything I've seen of it impresses me, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt until I see a reason to doubt it's quality.

As I mentioned before just know what your getting before you get into it, it's going to be a anime looking, pokemon inspired, old school JRPG, if you go into it with that mind set I think you (or anyone will be pleased), it's not for lack of quality or talent I would say.

Heck, I bought Blue Dragon a few months ago, and even though it is 100% old school, I enjoyed it a lot more because of that fact, more so than I did "playing" FF13 or FF13-2 (more like watching)

And I do agree with Vinny, the sales aren't going to be massive, sadly JRPGs don't move massive numbers these days, plus its a new IP, if it was DQ it would have sold 500k easily, also it was on PS3 instead of PSP/DS, so that's another slight against it, also the DS version came with the wizard's book that you needed to reference to pull off spells and such with the touch pad (if I remember right).

As long as they market it right, I think it'll do just fine here as long as they don't go gonzo expecting half a million in sales each in Europe and the US.

Some initial impressions...

http://www.siliconer...big-wide-world/

"I was able to play 20 minutes of Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch in English and by the end of the session I was convinced a Namco Bandai rep was going to have to rip the controller from my hands."

Haha...

This isn't the video I'm looking for but this guy goes over everything with the game...spoilers of course....

Edited by uncle5555, 02 July 2012 - 01:00 AM.

The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#17 district_9000

district_9000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:06 AM

agreed. practically be paying double for the book and some other shit. im hoping it will go to other retailers, but im not gonna get my hopes up.

#18 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:56 AM

Not much love here... but the demo drops tomorrow.
http://www.joystiq.c...n-psn-tomorrow/

I've got too much crap to do but I'm gonna try to squeeze this in somehow...

Edited by Vinny, 04 December 2012 - 05:39 AM.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Valhalla Knights 3 - :-|

:ps3: Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#19 McFryyyyyy

McFryyyyyy

Mogwai Fear Satan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:47 AM

Plan to play the Demo to get a feel for it.

Kamagii.png

#20 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

Really looking forward to the demo. Can't help but feel that this would have been perfect on the PS Vita.

#21 Qontrol

Qontrol

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

Really looking forward to the demo. Can't help but feel that this would have been perfect on the PS Vita.

This! I just found this thread and kept hoping the next post would talk about the Vita version. I seriously thought about buying a DS for this game because I love Ghibli so much. I would have loved it on Vita but I'm still glad it's coming to PS3.

#22 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

This! I just found this thread and kept hoping the next post would talk about the Vita version. I seriously thought about buying a DS for this game because I love Ghibli so much. I would have loved it on Vita but I'm still glad it's coming to PS3.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to it on PS3, not so much on 3DS. I just feel the visuals for this game (being as amazing as they are) would have been a real treat to see on the Vita...and since it's an RPG, having cloud saving would have been nice.

#23 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

Impatiently waiting for the demo. Might make or break my Newegg preorder.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#24 b3b0p

b3b0p

Where's r0ckst34dy?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:19 AM

Can anyone post their impressions of the demo?

#25 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

Graphics look fantastic, but I'm not really feeling the battle system. Feels really slow and uninteresting. Might be because it's a demo, but it's lowered my interest in the game.

I'm sure there are people who would like the battle system though.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#26 coolz481

coolz481

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

I don't know if it's possible to create a good demo for an RPG. Graphics are nice on this one though.
\\:D/

#27 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

I don't know if it's possible to create a good demo for an RPG. Graphics are nice on this one though.

Lunar 1 and 2, Dragon Quest 8, FF8 had great demos. I know there are other JRPGs that had good demos that I am forgetting at the moment.

After playing the demo, I am completely convinced that no one would give a single Fuck about this game if the Ghibli name weren't attached. I'll probably still get it since I have it preordered for $50 at Newegg, so I can always sell it at or near cost if it sucks.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#28 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:20 AM

Behind the scenes #1

I'm so ready for another Level-5 console JRPG.
sudo mklove

#29 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

The demo I felt did not leave a great impression because it basically threw you into the game without any real sort of tutorial. Once I got a little hang of it it got better. Still sure the game will be great but the demo was not.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#30 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:26 AM

I fully expect RPG demos to be crap at this point and especially JRPG demos.

Most devs tend to either do some vertical slice from some trade show or just toss you headfirst into the slow-ass opening sequence and neither is kind to a genre known for taking ~10 hours of game-time to warm-up to.
sudo mklove