Magic Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013- Out Now- 800 pts

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

So the new Magic came out today on XBLA. Anyone else get this? It's about a 1.4 GB download. Also what is up with the free MP add-on?

Details on the game:
Decklists- http://www.wizards.c...cklists#nefarox

Info- http://www.wizards.c...ital/d13/whatis

If you buy the game, you can redeem a code as before to get a certificate to take to a local store to get some promo cards. PS3 owners got the best one, alternate art Vampire Nocturne (a $20 card that came out in Magic 2010, then got cycled out and of course comes back after I sold my playset of him.) 360 owners get Primordial Hydra and Steam/iOS owners get Serra Avatar.

Edited by MSUHitman, 20 June 2012 - 09:51 PM.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#2 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

im so getting this.
when it goes on sale...because none of my buds will be playing this, they're all playing Diablo 3 and when Borderlands comes out..yeah.

#3 monkeyfizix

monkeyfizix

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

If you've spent any amount of time playing paper MtG, the $10 asking price is nothing compared to the cost all of these decks would run you in real life.

So yeah, I'm going to be purchasing it as soon as work is over, and dedicating a good portion of my evening to unlocking decks.
Posted Image
I visit this board to make myself feel less guilty about my spending habits.

#4 sp8001

sp8001

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:36 PM

I won a code for this game... Debating whether to keep it or trade it. I'll have to watch some videos and see if it is something I might like.

#5 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:42 PM

If you've spent any amount of time playing paper MtG, the $10 asking price is nothing compared to the cost all of these decks would run you in real life.

So yeah, I'm going to be purchasing it as soon as work is over, and dedicating a good portion of my evening to unlocking decks.

Well get ready as each of the 10 decks have 30 cards this time to unlock.

I won a code for this game... Debating whether to keep it or trade it. I'll have to watch some videos and see if it is something I might like.

Have you not played the original version or Magic 2012? It's a modified version of those.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#6 sp8001

sp8001

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

Have you not played the original version or Magic 2012? It's a modified version of those.

Nope. Never touched either of those games and never tried the game IRL.

Is it hard to get into? Or should I be able to catch on pretty quick? Are there any sort of tutorials or manuals in the game to help out a new player such as myself?

I know it is going to show up in this weekends Cheeve Challenge, so I might end up keeping it for that reason.

#7 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:55 PM

You can download the demo, it has a tutorial match it walks you through. If not, there's tons of videos on YouTube that can teach you both about Magic in general and also just the game. Wizards produced their own specific for YouTube some years ago that were pretty good and taught me Magic 3 years ago.

42869.png

#8 garrett007

garrett007

Before You Go-Go

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:06 PM

If I never played the past two, should I just start with 2013? Or should I start with the older ones?

#9 Danimal

Danimal

CheapAssing it Since 2003

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:38 AM

If I never played the past two, should I just start with 2013? Or should I start with the older ones?

I don't think it really matters; it's all MtG, just different decks. Off the top of my head, I don't recall how much they changed between the original XBLA game and 2012, but of the two, I preferred 2012. I'm guessing 2013 will be pretty similar, apart from different decks obviously.

Looking at the deck lists quickly, there's an interesting mix of older and newer sets represented, but I wish there were more cards from Avacyn Restored, especially for the white decks. I only saw 2 cards from the set, and I think both were deep unlocks. Just looked quickly, though- I could have missed some. Maybe DLC decks will have more? Not a huge deal, I'll be buying it either way.
Posted Image

#10 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:26 AM

I'm bracing myself for CPU bullshit again. Between the first two XBLA Magic games and Clash of Heroes, it's a wonder I have any functioning controllers.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#11 DurbanBrown

DurbanBrown

to the MOON

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:41 AM

got it and played some. very good, gonna enjoy this

Zombies-Sig.jpg

last.fm: shroomer1999                                                                  Designed By Lilchiji

#12 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:00 PM

Just start with this one; only reason to play 2012 now is for Archenemy as that mode has been replaced by Planechase since that's the alternate game type Wizards is selling at retail currently. 2013 is a tweaked version of 2012 that was already pretty close to as good as this game is going to be.

The original is lacking in so many features I wouldn't touch it now unless you're achievement hunting or just really love it. Just beware many modes in the original have no online component.

2013 seems easier than 2012 so far. I've taken the green deck straight through the first two campaign sections with no problems.

One thing that annoys me is still no Planeswalker cards, even though they are shown when you get to the "boss fights" on each plane with Garrus, Liliana, etc.

#13 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

Nope. Never touched either of those games and never tried the game IRL.

Is it hard to get into? Or should I be able to catch on pretty quick? Are there any sort of tutorials or manuals in the game to help out a new player such as myself?

I know it is going to show up in this weekends Cheeve Challenge, so I might end up keeping it for that reason.

Outside of the tutorial, there is a large section in the options that is essentially the digital version of the instruction pamphlet that is in each starter deck that explains everything.

Other things would be to leave tips on that give you a visual explanation of effects when they happen, and keep the option selected that forces you to hit y to complete each phase of your turn.

#14 DurbanBrown

DurbanBrown

to the MOON

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

start with 2013

Zombies-Sig.jpg

last.fm: shroomer1999                                                                  Designed By Lilchiji

#15 garrett007

garrett007

Before You Go-Go

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for the replies, got 2013 in a trade and I'll start it up later!

#16 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

X, when are you going to have a deck guide for this game?! My inferior deck building skills need your expertise. :)

I have Garruk's deck 2/3 unlocked through normal play and spent my free key from 2012 on Ajani's life gain/counters deck.

Edited by MSUHitman, 04 July 2012 - 06:35 PM.

42869.png

#17 monkeyfizix

monkeyfizix

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:53 AM

Having unlocked the decks without knowing what they were beforehand, I'm a little disappointed that 9/10 are mono-color decks. Now, every deck does a good job of doing something different than the other, so I can understand their logic, as mono-color is easier to manage for beginners.

That said, I don't think I ever really started to "get" MtG until I started making dual color decks of my own (much less opposing colors- my first blue/red deck was a full three years after I started playing).

Still, I've enjoyed what I played this weekend so far.
Posted Image
I visit this board to make myself feel less guilty about my spending habits.

#18 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:30 AM

All 5 of the first set of DLC decks will be dual color, PC users have found the deck lists in the game's code.

#19 DurbanBrown

DurbanBrown

to the MOON

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

All 5 of the first set of DLC decks will be dual color, PC users have found the deck lists in the game's code.

bad ass, i was hoping for this

Zombies-Sig.jpg

#20 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

Cubs Fan Too :(

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

I will likely snag this on both xbla and steam to play with some different sets of friends from time to time. The $10 price point makes it easy to double dip. If we get enough CAGs interested, we should do a tournament sometime.

#21 Tha Xecutioner

Tha Xecutioner

Faith: Restored

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

X, when are you going to have a deck guide for this game?! My inferior deck building skills need your expertise. :)

Will post my decklists shortly.

I have Garrus' deck 2/3 unlocked through normal play and spent my free key from 2012 on Ajani's life gain/counters deck.

Freudian slip? 8-)

0sm4.png

#22 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

Yep. I need to go through ME 3 EC now that Dawnguard has been gone through for the most part.

42869.png

#23 Trakan

Trakan

Mark IV Style Motherfucker!

• Super Moderators

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

Do not sully the good name of Magic with Mass Effect talk.

#24 Tha Xecutioner

Tha Xecutioner

Faith: Restored

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

Here are my current decklists after finally unlocking (manually, without keys) all the cards in each deck and getting in some online play. I will definitely answer any "why ___ and not ___?" questions and, later on, I will even kind of explain what I'm trying to do with each deck.

Note: I play a lot of competitive Magic IRL (and even work for one of the Southeast's largest tournament centers) and I tend to take the same approach to building these decks as I would for something that I'd take to a local, regional, or national tournament (i.e. no more than 60 cards, a focus on mana curve, and streamlining the deck to be as efficient as possible). However, I do make some cuts/additions based on the fact that I will be playing a lot of Two-Headed Giant online.

Garruk's Pack Instinct
Spoiler

Jace's Dream Puppets
Spoiler

Krenko's Goblin Gangland
Spoiler

Liliana's Obedient Dead
Spoiler

Odric's Peacekeepers
Spoiler

Nefarox's Exalted Darkness
Spoiler

Yeva's Ancient Wilds
Spoiler

Talrand's Crosswinds
Spoiler

Ajani's Celestial Light
Spoiler

Chandra's Born of Flame
Spoiler

Edited by Tha Xecutioner, 06 July 2012 - 09:18 AM.

0sm4.png

#25 Danimal

Danimal

CheapAssing it Since 2003

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:52 AM

Here are my current decklists after finally unlocking (manually, without keys) all the cards in each deck

:shock:

Garruk's Pack Instinct

Spoiler

Jace's Dream Puppets
Spoiler

Krenko's Goblin Gangland
Spoiler

Liliana's Obedient Dead
Spoiler

Odric's Peacekeepers
Spoiler

Spoiler

Yeva's Ancient Wilds
Spoiler

Talrand's Crosswinds
Spoiler

Ajani's Celestial Light
Spoiler

Chandra's Born of Flame
Spoiler

:bow:
Thanks very much for putting these lists together. I've always been terrible at paring down a deck to make it faster or more efficient, so I'll be referring back to these often.
Posted Image

#26 JStryke

JStryke

Angel With A Shotgun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:07 AM

I don't recall seeing it posted here, but I thought the MTG games had limited customization options? Perhaps I'm wrong though and somebody could enlighten me?

card.png

#27 Trakan

Trakan

Mark IV Style Motherfucker!

• Super Moderators

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

I don't recall seeing it posted here, but I thought the MTG games had limited customization options? Perhaps I'm wrong though and somebody could enlighten me?

It has been in the past and it still is here, but it's better than ever. There are 30 unlockable cards perk deck as opposed to the ~15 last year's had. On top of that, there are at least 10 more cards coming for each of the 10 decks in the main game. There are also 5 more decks that were leaked with 10 unlocks each coming as DLC.

#28 JStryke

JStryke

Angel With A Shotgun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

It has been in the past and it still is here, but it's better than ever. There are 30 unlockable cards perk deck as opposed to the ~15 last year's had. On top of that, there are at least 10 more cards coming for each of the 10 decks in the main game. There are also 5 more decks that were leaked with 10 unlocks each coming as DLC.

Perhaps I should have specified on my question. Now, not having being a regular MTG player, I may be wrong in thinking that the minimum deck is 60. Regardless, if they are limited, it seems that posting decklists would be limited. But seeing as they were (and still 60, at least from the first two I saw), it seems you can actually change the decks this time around? I don't expect full customization, but I remember in the first one, I recall only being able to add cards, but not able to take them away. It seems you actually can edit the decks this time around though? Obviously limited in the card pool though.

card.png

#29 zewone

zewone

Thursday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

Perhaps I should have specified on my question. Now, not having being a regular MTG player, I may be wrong in thinking that the minimum deck is 60. Regardless, if they are limited, it seems that posting decklists would be limited. But seeing as they were (and still 60, at least from the first two I saw), it seems you can actually change the decks this time around? I don't expect full customization, but I remember in the first one, I recall only being able to add cards, but not able to take them away. It seems you actually can edit the decks this time around though? Obviously limited in the card pool though.

Yes. Since 2012, you can take out the crappy starting cards.

#30 DurbanBrown

DurbanBrown

to the MOON

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

Here are my current decklists after finally unlocking (manually, without keys) all the cards in each deck and getting in some online play. I will definitely answer any "why ___ and not ___?" questions and, later on, I will even kind of explain what I'm trying to do with each deck.

Note: I play a lot of competitive Magic IRL (and even work for one of the Southeast's largest tournament centers) and I tend to take the same approach to building these decks as I would for something that I'd take to a local, regional, or national tournament (i.e. no more than 60 cards, a focus on mana curve, and streamlining the deck to be as efficient as possible). However, I do make some cuts/additions based on the fact that I will be playing a lot of Two-Headed Giant online.

Garruk's Pack Instinct

Spoiler

Jace's Dream Puppets
Spoiler

Krenko's Goblin Gangland
Spoiler

Liliana's Obedient Dead
Spoiler

Odric's Peacekeepers
Spoiler

Spoiler

Yeva's Ancient Wilds
Spoiler

Talrand's Crosswinds
Spoiler

Ajani's Celestial Light
Spoiler

Chandra's Born of Flame
Spoiler

hey thanks, may take a look at this.... i just have all cards i can fit in every deck.

Zombies-Sig.jpg