Photo
- - - - -

New PS3 model on the way (CECH-4001)? EDIT: Now with pics.

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

Looks like we have a new model of the PS3 going through the FCC validation rounds.

New model numbers are DECH-4001x and DECH-S4001x from the FCC documentation. Probably would end up being CECH-4001 like the past revisions we've had.

Referencing articles:
http://www.engadget....ystation-3-fcc/
http://www.theverge....-4001x-sony-fcc
http://pocketnews.co...ch-4000fcc.html (Japanese)

I guess we've gone from the fat to the slim to the super slim possibly?

Edited by shrike4242, 05 July 2012 - 06:28 PM.

#2 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

I wonder if this thing can cook marshmallows cuz I know my two PS3 slims get pretty warm in the back by where the power supply is even though they're both out in the open with lotsa room on all sides. So I can only imagine if they shrink it any further in size that you may be able to cook a hamburger on the outer plastic case.:roll:

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#3 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

this could be what's needed for a price drop to $200 hopefully that happens before Oct. that way getting a $150 PS3 will be a reasonable feet. Even better if the AC3 bundle included the new console w/320 GB HD done deal
http://us.playstatio...eed-bundle.html

#4 mitch079

mitch079

Microsoft, trollin' like Doink on Crush.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

I wonder if this thing can cook marshmallows cuz I know my two PS3 slims get pretty warm in the back by where the power supply is even though they're both out in the open with lotsa room on all sides. So I can only imagine if they shrink it any further in size that you may be able to cook a hamburger on the outer plastic case.:roll:

Since the top is already at a slant, partner up with George Foreman and make the Lean, Mean, PS3 Gaming and Grilling Machine.

#5 Nogib

Nogib

*squeezing* the *juice*

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

Posted Image

Wrong pic there shrike. That's the original "fat" PS3's footprint image you have there lol.
End of line.

#6 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

An even smaller system? Who will even want to buy a bunch of their super thin PS3 Rail systems though? It will make fatter versions go down in price and since the PS4 is being rumored for around X-Mas 2013, I don't think a brand new model of the system sounds all that appealing.

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#7 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

Wrong pic there shrike. That's the original "fat" PS3's footprint image you have there lol.

Well, crap. Time to fix that in the OP. :wall:

#8 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

Should be interesting. I like seeing new hardware. I'll never forget opening the PS2 slim for the first time. I was like I knew it was small but this thing is tiny! Wonder how small they could get the PS3.

#9 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

An even smaller system? Who will even want to buy a bunch of their super thin PS3 Rail systems though? It will make fatter versions go down in price and since the PS4 is being rumored for around X-Mas 2013, I don't think a brand new model of the system sounds all that appealing.

Not sure you understand the purpose of hardware revisions. This benefits Sony because it will be cheaper to produce. This benefits us because there will likely be a price drop ($149.99-179.99 likely). This is also good for people who were waiting for the price to drop and/or who need to replace a broken/old PS3 Fat (or first Slim).

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#10 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

Not sure you understand the purpose of hardware revisions. This benefits Sony because it will be cheaper to produce. This benefits us because there will likely be a price drop ($149.99-179.99 likely). This is also good for people who were waiting for the price to drop and/or who need to replace a broken/old PS3 Fat (or first Slim).

I was just thinking that I don't see the newest model being that big of a seller. It will end up boosting sales for the fatter versions because those prices will go down, but who wants to pay $250 for a super slim version when fatter versions are cheaper and PS4 is coming at some point soon.

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#11 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

PS2 slims were very popular for years after the PS3 launched.

#12 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

I was just thinking that I don't see the newest model being that big of a seller. It will end up boosting sales for the fatter versions because those prices will go down, but who wants to pay $250 for a super slim version when fatter versions are cheaper and PS4 is coming at some point soon.

you'd be surprised, they can't even keep the supply up for the demand of the PS2 or PSP & both systems have already been replaced. BC really pushes the demand & with the shear # of titles there will be a good demand for PS3 well into the late 2000's...Unless Sony pulls a true shocker & has BC for PS4.
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=316423

#13 gsr1379

gsr1379

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

i don't think they do not need to make the ps3 any smaller. But i would be all for lower power consumption. that is always a good thing. Or maybe a faster blurry drive

#14 waldo21212

waldo21212

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

It will end up boosting sales for the fatter versions because those prices will go down, but who wants to pay $250 for a super slim version when fatter versions are cheaper and PS4 is coming at some point soon.

Will I buy a super slim right away? Probably not without a price drop below what the 160 gig slim current goes for.

But I will probably pick up another slim if the retailers feel compelled to dump them at a cheap price to make way for the super slim.

#15 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

I'm guessing that if there is a new smaller PS3 that it's going to have a power brick and (hopefully) rear USB ports.
Posted Image

#16 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

cant be a new slim and if it is a smaller ps3 will it be called the anorexic? aside from adding bc to it and maybe diff colors theres not much they could do to get someone to buy another ps3.

#17 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

Since the top is already at a slant, partner up with George Foreman and make the Lean, Mean, PS3 Gaming and Grilling Machine.

:lol::applause:Honestly, I think MS coulda made even more money from the 360 if they sold some of their earlier models as a combo grill and game console.;)

I was gonna say, I WISH the PS3 slim had that many vent holes underneath the front of the console and all around it.

Posted Image

#18 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

what is up with the speculation of the ps3 permanent price drop, is there any truth to this?

#19 GatorBeerGeek

GatorBeerGeek

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

I'm guessing that if there is a new smaller PS3 that it's going to have a power brick and (hopefully) rear USB ports.

That would be my guess too. An internal power supply takes up a LOT of real estate and makes the heat dissipation more of a problem.

GatorBeerGeek.png

#20 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

I'd hope not. I already have a Wii and 360 power brick behind the TV. I don't want a third.

#21 gsr1379

gsr1379

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

Rear usb port would be great.. I would even be happy if there was still just Two. One in the front one in the back.

#22 Paco

Paco

GO TEAM GIRTH!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:04 AM

I slow cooked a pork with the fat PS3. I also used it as a furance for the winter. Legend has it that when sony made the slim PS3, they sent all the fat ones to canada for heat.
If you can't KOF with the best
Than Street Fight With The Rest

#23 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:25 AM

I have a 120 gb slim right now and I plan on picking up a Wii-U this fall. I might consider picking up the "new" PS3 if the blu-ray drive is faster. That plus a 320 gb HDD and a sub $200 price point.

I need a new signature.

#24 Buckeye23

Buckeye23

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:32 AM

Wings of Redemption posted a video on this last night and I agree. When have you even been like, "Damn my PS3 is too big"? Idk why Sony doesnt spend some more time improving the system rather then shrinking it....

#25 Mixer23

Mixer23

I was the Turkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:11 AM

As mentioned before, it's not about Sony trying to make things smaller to go after a certain demographic... It's about Sony cutting their own costs. Also, these components that make up the PS3 get smaller over time anyway, why keep that same huge shell if you don't have to? I don't know why everyone thinks these console companies mostly do this to try and sell more systems every time one of them does this... I assure you this is not the case.

The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used.

Do you really think I could start a fast food restaurant called McDonaldz and use the golden arches as my logo and get away with it?

#26 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

I slow cooked a pork with the fat PS3. I also used it as a furance for the winter. Legend has it that when sony made the slim PS3, they sent all the fat ones to canada for heat.

I wouldn't doubt it honestly. When I had a fat model PS3 upstairs in the wintertime it did seem to make my room about 3 to 5 degrees warmer.:)

Posted Image

#27 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#28 GatorBeerGeek

GatorBeerGeek

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

Looks like it still has an internal power supply based on the power cord connector. Is that a lift up lid for the blu ray drive instead of the suction style drive in the PS3 now? It is hard to tell.

GatorBeerGeek.png

#29 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

Looks like it still has an internal power supply based on the power cord connector. Is that a lift up lid for the blu ray drive instead of the suction style drive in the PS3 now? It is hard to tell.

People are speculating it is similar to the PS2 slim. So yeah possible top loading blu-ray drive.

#30 GatorBeerGeek

GatorBeerGeek

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

People are speculating it is similar to the PS2 slim. So yeah possible top loading blu-ray drive.

If so, it will be an interesting decision. Media furniture is not made to accommodate devices like that anymore. I could see them going to a standard tray drive, but a lift up lid seems like a bad move to me.

GatorBeerGeek.png