Photo
- - - - -

PSN vs Disc

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want a Disc or Digital Download

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Do you want a Disc or Digital Download

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Buckeye23

Buckeye23

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:53 AM

I just recently bought a PS3 in the beginning of May. I've extensively played all the COD's, GTA4, and many other games already at friends' houses. I currently have Cod:WaW, MW3, and Wipeout HD + Fury (PSN).

I've been wanting GTA IV for a while now, and I was thinking, why not just buy it on PSN. But see, I want that disc and box to add to my collection.

Is anyone else that way? Where you want the physical disc and box to have, instead of a digital download.

#2 SolidSnake86

SolidSnake86

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:09 AM

Disc so I can re-sell it after I finish playing it.

#3 KB24

KB24

Strong Roots

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:20 AM

If the game is a burner then digital is the way to go

5r8h3bp.gif

578ad03c0ad2df0fd38c01d22c5f5d88_0cdf051

#4 bearhawk72

bearhawk72

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:12 AM

If I can get a physical copy, I will.

#5 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

I always buy physical. Due to resell possibilities. And the prices of digital are still INSANE.
NCAA Football 2013 59.99 on PSN = 45 on amazon physical copy and can resell it, doesnt take up 8gigs of space on your HDD.

Digital releases would have to be at least 50% off new release prices for me to consider buying them. A way to sell your digital releases would be nice too. Even if it is only for PSN credit.

#6 mr_burnzz

mr_burnzz

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

Always physical disc. Can't see any upside to getting digital. I have gta 4 GH ps3 sealed. Want it? $8 shipped.

Edited by mr_burnzz, 15 July 2012 - 12:54 AM.
gre

#7 gossamer

gossamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

Disc. PSN doesn't exactly have sales like a retail store does.

#8 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

Until I can get trade credit or cash on CL for digital copies it's physical for me all the way. Not to mention the PSN outage exposed the major flaw with digital only devices there will always be technical issues but anything major can be epic. It's no diiferent than hearing Amtrak is shut down for "track issues" nobody's going anywhere.

Also, in a digital only world "clearance" sales no longer exist they'll just wait you out to make the purchase. Wonder what scam they'll pull since GOTY editions won't really be needed come to think of it the only thing people will buy in-store would be CE since the swag can't be digital...well they do get people to pay for in-game clothes & other $hit.

#9 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

If it's cheap enough, I don't care at all about the benefits of discs. There have been enough deals over the past year on them that it's a great way for me to upgrade to digital by trading in my physical copy and enjoying the benefits of both formats at once.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

#10 Paco

Paco

GO TEAM GIRTH!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

Both. If it's a game I'm going to play for a long time, I'm getting digital. For fighting games like Street Fighter Digital all the way. I have a disc version of KOF 13. If I could get a digital version for 20-30 bucks, I'd buy it all over again. Same with other games that have high replayability.
If you can't KOF with the best
Than Street Fight With The Rest

#11 Mad39er

Mad39er

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

If I didn't already have GT5 physically, I'd get it digital off the PSN store. It's one of those weighing options, simply because the whole monstrosity is installed with less disc accessing and more instant access to the HDD.
Gran Turismo 5 B-Spec Primer - Now with colors!
"When I started racing my father told me, ‘Cristiano, nobody has three balls but some people have two very good ones'." – Cristiano Da Matta

"Any drunk can fall off a bar stool. It takes a real man to ride it all the way to the ground."

Referal for Dusk 514:

#12 Nogib

Nogib

*squeezing* the *juice*

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:45 AM

Disc. There is ZERO reason to ever get digital versions.
End of line.

#13 AzGoat

AzGoat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:57 AM

Disc for the resell and digital only if its free on PSN for the plus.

#14 Paco

Paco

GO TEAM GIRTH!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:43 AM

Disc. There is ZERO reason to ever get digital versions.

Yes there is. For games I will never stop playing, like King of Fighters, I would love to have a digital version. Hell I'd pay 30 bucks for a digital version of KOF 13 right now. I could put in some Jrpg and not have to get up and switch discs every time I get the craving. I played more KOF than Street Fighter this year.

#15 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

Right. I like having digital so I don't have to get up and swap out discs.
(A "install to HD" option could get rid of that though)

If I digital was 50% or more off the price of a physical copy, I'd be all for it.

I don't like digital because there's no re-sell or trade option that goes with it. Once you're done with the game, that's it. delete, it, throw it in the trash. It no longer has any value.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#16 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

I wouldn't be getting Journey if not for the physical CE coming out soon. That's my super cool story bro.

#17 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:01 PM

Whichever is cheaper and when there's a sale along with a Plus discount then we are talking about half of what the discs are at retail.
sudo mklove

#18 CheapAssHustla

CheapAssHustla

Hustle..Hustle Hard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

If you have a 500GB HDD or higher then it doesn't matter really. If you want long enough, the game you desire will be $10. Digital copies go on sale here and there, but the disc copy will always be cheaper unless it becomes extremely rare. Then it would make sense to buy the digital copy.

#19 GBH

GBH

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

I like digital versions better as long as they are not full retail prices. People saying there is no upside to digital don't understand what they speak.

#20 district_9000

district_9000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:32 AM

I'll always go disc unless by some miracle psn is cheaper. The only upside to psn for me is game sharing with my buddy

#21 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

When the Xbox 720 and PS4 come out we won't have the option anyway, but I personally prefer a disc for collection purposes and resell-possibilties.

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#22 mr_burnzz

mr_burnzz

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

When the Xbox 720 and PS4 come out we won't have the option anyway, but I personally prefer a disc for collection purposes and resell-possibilties.

Is what you said been confirmed? That's the shittiest thing they can do for the next gen consoles.

#23 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

None of that has really been proven as of yet. But if that's the case and they try going all digital then any companies doing that to eliminate the used game market can kiss my ass. Just going by the digital copy prices now on PSN for full retail releases they would lose my business completely since I'm more of a $5-10 buyer than a $30-60 one.

The only upside to that would be that Gamestop would likely die a quick death since a good chunk of their business model is selling pre-owned crap.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#24 MushaOne

MushaOne

etc. and so forth...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

This is incorrect. You will still be able to get physical and digital copies on the next gen consoles.

#25 praxus07

praxus07

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

None of that has really been proven as of yet. But if that's the case and they try going all digital then any companies doing that to eliminate the used game market can kiss my ass. Just going by the digital copy prices now on PSN for full retail releases they would lose my business completely since I'm more of a $5-10 buyer than a $30-60 one.

The only upside to that would be that Gamestop would likely die a quick death since a good chunk of their business model is selling pre-owned crap.

:roll: The only reason you hate GS so much is cuz they banned you ;)
Praxus_07.png

#26 SolidSnake86

SolidSnake86

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

Gamestop is forever. In 2098 there will only be ruined wastlelands, coachroaches, and Gamestops.

#27 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:10 AM

I knew I would start something with that post bwahahaha! No, not comfirmed but a lot of signs are pointing to "yes".

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#28 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:37 AM

:roll: The only reason you hate GS so much is cuz they banned you ;)

Nah. That was actually a blessing in disguise, since I haven't had to sift through 20-30 pre-owned copies of games at Best Buy or FYE to find a complete copy that didn't look and smell like someone wiped their ass with it.;)

Moreover, at those other places I'm not harassed for 20 minutes while the reps rattle off the names of games I'll 'never find if I don't pre-order'.:booty:

Not to mention before they gobbled up EB Games the Edge card only would set you back $5 a year and wasn't tied to a magazine that was 60% ads and 40% shill articles whoring out the games they want you to pre-order.:razz:

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#29 johnnypark

johnnypark

Farewell My Viking!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:49 AM

If it's cheap enough, digital is fine, but more than $10-15 and I'm going to want to resell it when I'm done. I don't really collect games for the sake of doing it anymore, I only keep games that I haven't finished if I really loved them.
Selling both CoD: Black Ops Declassified and Resistance: Burning Skies for $40 shipped. Check my trade list or PM me!

:3ds: 2363-5670-6657
My Trade List

Feedback on Ebay

Twitter

#30 Paco

Paco

GO TEAM GIRTH!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:50 AM

Gamestop is forever. In 2098 there will only be ruined wastlelands, coachroaches, and Gamestops.

Wrong. It's going to be wastelands, coachroches, twinkies, slinkies and aol floppy disks.