Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V4! Insert witty comment here.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11094 replies to this topic

#1 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V4! You can find the V1 thread (Nov 2010-July 2011) here, V2 thread (July 2011 - Feb 2012) here, and V3 thread (Feb-July 2012) here. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

This is a Wiki post. Please read this
Spoiler
for instructions on updating the thread.

Steam Games and DLC on Sale - Updated 8/9

Daily Deal(s)

Midweek Madness Deal(s)

• ---
Weekend Deal(s)

Other Deals
Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 8/9

Amazon

• Amazon - Current Deals
  • ---

GamersGate
Greenman Gaming

• ---

Preorder Deals - Updated 8/9
Group Buys - Updated 8/14

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff - Updated 4/3

There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

Spoiler

Summer Sale 2012

Spoiler

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Edited by eastx, 14 August 2012 - 10:56 AM.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#2 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

This information is taken from the CAG Steam discussion thread. Please visit it to talk about Steam in general and Steam games!

Steam features

• Play from anywhere: Games you buy on Steam are permanently tied to your account. Download them again on other computers! *See DRM bullet point for exceptions
  • DRM: Most Steam games only use Steam's DRM. If a game uses another form (such as Batman: Arkham Asylum), the store page will say 3rd-Party DRM.
  • Play offline: Most Steam games can be played offline. When an internet connection isn't available, choose to start Steam in Offline Mode.
  • Steam Achievements! Many games have exclusive Achievements that you and your friends can keep track of. Get a Steam card graphic for forum signatures here.
  • Steam Cloud! Many games like Torchlight offer Cloud support. Your save file is hosted online and accessible from wherever you play the game, so no need to manually transfer it to other computers. Look for the Steam Cloud Posted Image image on a game's store page.
  • Automatic patching: Steam automatically downloads updates for your games whenever they are released. If you'd rather patch manually, click on that game's Properties/Update from the Library menu.
  • Friends list: The Steam friends list is also an instant messenger. Text message friends, voice chat, and easily invite friends to most games. You can also see which friends own the same games as you and compare Achievements from the Library menu.
  • Gifting games! You can buy games and then gift them to other people. Wishlists make this easy; maintain your own and view your friends' lists, too.
  • Incredible sales! There is a sale virtually every weekend, Black Friday, during the holidays, and more.
  • Steam Play: Purchase a game once and play it from both Windows and Mac! Look for the Steamplay icon Posted Image on games' store pages.

CAG Steam Groups

By joining a CheapAssGamer Steam group, you'll be able to find CAGs to play with, participate in group events, and more. This is a list of all known CAG groups. If you start a new group, please PM me with details. Note that while most of these groups are public, the private groups require an invite to join.

FAQ

I bought a retail copy of a game.
OR
I bought a game from another downloadable games provider besides Steam.

Can I download it from Steam without rebuying it?

You can do this for some games (especially those whose retail versions automatically use Steam). Most games don't support the feature though. See the full list here.

How do I add non-Steam games to my Steam library? Why would someone want to do that?

From the Library menu, choose Add a Game and then Add a Non-Steam Game. Select the game's executable file and you'll now be able to launch it directly from Steam. This is a good idea for two reasons. One, launching all of your games from the same place is convenient. Two, when you launch a Non-Steam Game from your Steam library, people on your friends list will be able to see what you're playing.

Why is X game more expensive on Steam than other retailers? Is buying from Steam not a good deal?

Steam generally offers games at their current MSRP. That means if Capcom wants to charge $30 for Street Fighter IV, that will be the regular Steam price. Yes, you might find the retail version on clearance at Target for less. But that's clearance, which you can't expect every other retailer to match. However, Steam has tons of sales which usually beat everyone else's prices.

When are the big Steam sales?

During the big Steam sales, Steam sells multiple games (sometimes hundreds) at large discounts. There is always a sale on Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) and an extended holiday sale (starting December 24 and lasting until the beginning of January). In 2010 and 2011 there have been extended summer sales too. If you're not in a hurry to play a game and want the best possible price, it's a good idea to wait for these large sales.

Do all Steam games work with controllers?

Just about all PC games can be controlled with mouse and keyboard. But some people are more comfortable with controllers, AKA gamepads, and some games just play better that way. The Xbox 360 controller is the default gamepad for modern PC games. Many games support it, but not all. Most games with controller support have a Controller Enabled graphic Posted Image on their store pages. If a game doesn't have that graphic and doesn't mention controller support in its text description, assume it doesn't work with controllers. There is a partial list here. If you'd like to use a controller with a game that doesn't natively support it, the XPadder app works very well.

-Paul Acevedo

#3 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

Expired Sales (2011-onward)

Summer 2011 Sale
Daily Deals
6/30

7/01
Spoiler

7/04
Spoiler

7/07
Spoiler

7/08
Spoiler

7/09
Spoiler

-Paul Acevedo

#4 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

Thanks, eastx! Made a new thread.
Previous thread was here.

FYI, on our new forum software, large threads wont be an issue.

#5 lupe guillotine

lupe guillotine

mooo, i don't want to spend anymore money

#6 mcthatch

mcthatch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Debating on whether I want to get Arkham City for new achievements...

#7 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

New thread? I can dig it.

#8 Jodou

Jodou

But LAG, err CAG wasn't slowing down enough yet!

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#9 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

I am slightly disgusted in the complete lack of votes for Risen 2... : /

The game just did not appeal to the majority of the Steam crowd (and by extension I think you can safely say most US PC gamers) at all.

I keep trying to come up with reasons for it. You'd think a game where you play as a pirate would have appeal and it's not overdone either.

I think they did a piss poor job of marketing. Combat was somewhat broken at launch, they addressed this but the fixed version was not the one that got reviews.

No one is that familiar with this IP.

The difficulty curve is not balanced. It's too hard in the beginning and too easy in the end.

There's some subject matter in the game that could potentially be perceived as sexist or racist.

Not sure. I think it's a combination. More promotion would have helped but at this point they also need a better sale. Those low numbers I think in part represent lack of familiarity with the IP but also in large part the extremely meager discount.

I think they need to call a spade a spade and realize the game bombed at full price and try and get a good amount of sales by slashing the price.

#10 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

This was desperately needed. I know we were waiting but really the last thread was starting to glitch out quite regularly. Especially when I would edit the OP with all of these sales it would take forever.

Thanks eastx and CheapyD!

The game just did not appeal to the majority of the Steam crowd (and by extension I think you can safely say most US PC gamers) at all.

I keep trying to come up with reasons for it. You'd think a game where you play as a pirate would have appeal and it's not overdone either.

I think they did a piss poor job of marketing. Combat was somewhat broken at launch, they addressed this but the fixed version was not the one that got reviews.

No one is that familiar with this IP.

The difficulty curve is not balanced. It's too hard in the beginning and too easy in the end.

There's some subject matter in the game that could potentially be perceived as sexist or racist.

It has a sort of European feel that may not translate too well to the US.

Not sure. I think it's a combination. More promotion would have helped but at this point they also need a better sale. Those low numbers I think in part represent lack of familiarity with the IP but also in large part the extremely meager discount.

I think they need to call a spade a spade and realize the game bombed at full price and try and get a good amount of sales by slashing the price.

All of those are valid points and it does make sense as to why it isn't popular here.

I at first thought hopefully it will drop soon then but a console version is releasing this holiday season and so I am sure they will keep the price point high for a while.

Oh well. I suppose I will wait for the inevitable <$10!

#11 Lint21

Lint21

Probably Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

When does the Steam Summer Sale start?

#12 mrsilkunderwear

mrsilkunderwear

Just Do It.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

Oh yes, sexy new smell.

#13 Woodlands

Woodlands

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

When does the Steam Summer Sale start?

It ran June 29-July 8. Where have you been?

#14 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

Awwwww! I wanted to get to 20,000!

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#15 Woodlands

Woodlands

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

• CAGiversary!

Any game devoid of all females but 1 and is jam packed with brawny gents

Doesn't this account for about 85% of games out there?

#16 vherub

vherub

risen 2 was also going against arkham and witcher 2, and it was a lower % off. I'm kind of surprised it got even 14% of votes.
Probably be a flash sale on it anyway.

#17 JustYourAverageJoe

JustYourAverageJoe

Dances With Deals

• CAGiversary!

Argh, the thread move ate my post.

tl;dr After looking at Reddit, one of my votes must've bugged because I remember each game I voted for from every choice. And Motoki, I blame you for pushing me over the edge on the Pendulo pack. Damn my weakness for adventure games!
Posted Image

#18 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

Cheapy laying it down with a new thread

Check Out My Podcast

Rival Bits

Video Games, Movies, and TV

https://itunes.apple...d884775591?mt=2

181104.pngblade3d.png

#19 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

FYI, on our new forum software, large threads wont be an issue.

:drool:

Prod John harder.

#20 Therapy

Therapy

You Know You Need Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

New thread! Hopefully much faster :)

Ahw man batman won :( wanted The Witcher 2

#21 TheHelix

TheHelix

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

Looks like I'm getting Dear Esther.

#22 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

Wow, I call for a new thread, and 45 minutes later we get a new thread.

If you guys want anything else done around here, let me know.

#23 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

I feel sorry for Risen 2; Mostly because I was hoping it would mean Risen 1 would go on sale for 75% Everything I have heard for Risen 2 was how bad it is compared to 1
Posted Image

#24 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

Risen is not a killer IP. RPGs that don't differentiate themselves don't sell well. Amalur succeeded almost entirely because of that demo, word of mouth from that demo, and to a lesser extent the names attached, and even then it kept getting marred as "generic".

Witcher 2 has the social media love. It captured the eye of the internets rather perfectly. I almost think some of it is manufactured, but they have rabid fanboys in the media now. Games without that perfect storm have a hard time Getting traction.

#25 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

Witcher 2 has the social media love. It captured the eye of the internets rather perfectly. I almost think some of it is manufactured, but they have rabid fanboys in the media now. Games without that perfect storm have a hard time Getting traction.

Also helps the Witcher is also based on a best selling series of books so had fans from that source, as well as a rich detailed lore.
Posted Image

#26 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

Okay we need to compile a list of Steam IDs of everyone who bought Dear Esther so I can unfriend them all.

#27 Therapy

Therapy

You Know You Need Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

Hmmmh somehow it feels good that I bought Skyrim in Februari already for a (slightly) better price than now (due to a coupon :D)

I still need to finish it though... already spent 90hrs in that game o,O

#28 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

Risen is not a killer IP. RPGs that don't differentiate themselves don't sell well. Amalur succeeded almost entirely because of that demo, word of mouth from that demo, and to a lesser extent the names attached, and even then it kept getting marred as "generic".

Well I would think the pirate thing would be enough to differentiate itself. Risen 2 is a lot less generic feeling at least in terms of setting than Risen 1. But just being different isn't really enough it seems.

I also wouldn't say Amalur was a success. It sold relatively well it's true, but their budget was ridiculously insane and unrealistic to the point where it would have had to have been the runaway blockbuster of the year to make a profit.

I feel sorry for Risen 2; Mostly because I was hoping it would mean Risen 1 would go on sale for 75% Everything I have heard for Risen 2 was how bad it is compared to 1

You can play Risen 1 free on Gamersgate's VOID service. http://www.gamersgat.../FG-RISEN/risen

#29 voormis

voormis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

Okay we need to compile a list of Steam IDs of everyone who bought Dear Esther so I can unfriend them all.

I honestly purchased it mainly for the soundtrack...yeah, I know...sad. But it's great (the soundtrack, that is)!

#30 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

I was one of the 14%, wouldn't have bought it for 33% off but new deals are better than repeats.