Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#1 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V5! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

This is a Wiki post. Please read this
Spoiler
for instructions on updating the thread.

Steam Games and DLC on Sale - Updated 12/16

Daily Deal(s)

Midweek Madness Deal(s) Weekend Deal(s)

Other Deals

Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 9/23

Amazon
  • Amazon - Preorders
  • Tomb Raider (March 5, 2013) - $49.99 $44.99

• Amazon - Current Deals

GamersGate

Greenman Gaming

Preorder Deals - Updated 10/28
Group Buys - Updated 8/14

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff - Updated 4/3

There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

Spoiler

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Edited by eastx, 28 November 2012 - 07:50 PM.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#2 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

This information is taken from the CAG Steam discussion thread. Please visit it to talk about Steam in general and Steam games!

Steam features

• Play from anywhere: Games you buy on Steam are permanently tied to your account. Download them again on other computers! *See DRM bullet point for exceptions
  • DRM: Most Steam games only use Steam's DRM. If a game uses another form (such as Batman: Arkham Asylum), the store page will say 3rd-Party DRM.
  • Play offline: Most Steam games can be played offline. When an internet connection isn't available, choose to start Steam in Offline Mode.
  • Steam Achievements! Many games have exclusive Achievements that you and your friends can keep track of. Get a Steam card graphic for forum signatures here.
  • Steam Cloud! Many games like Torchlight offer Cloud support. Your save file is hosted online and accessible from wherever you play the game, so no need to manually transfer it to other computers. Look for the Steam Cloud Posted Image image on a game's store page.
  • Automatic patching: Steam automatically downloads updates for your games whenever they are released. If you'd rather patch manually, click on that game's Properties/Update from the Library menu.
  • Friends list: The Steam friends list is also an instant messenger. Text message friends, voice chat, and easily invite friends to most games. You can also see which friends own the same games as you and compare Achievements from the Library menu.
  • Gifting games! You can buy games and then gift them to other people. Wishlists make this easy; maintain your own and view your friends' lists, too.
  • Incredible sales! There is a sale virtually every weekend, Black Friday, during the holidays, and more.
  • Steam Play: Purchase a game once and play it from both Windows and Mac! Look for the Steamplay icon Posted Image on games' store pages.

CAG Steam Groups

By joining a CheapAssGamer Steam group, you'll be able to find CAGs to play with, participate in group events, and more. This is a list of all known CAG groups. If you start a new group, please PM me with details. Note that while most of these groups are public, the private groups require an invite to join.

FAQ

I bought a retail copy of a game.
OR
I bought a game from another downloadable games provider besides Steam.

Can I download it from Steam without rebuying it?

You can do this for some games (especially those whose retail versions automatically use Steam). Most games don't support the feature though. See the full list here.

How do I add non-Steam games to my Steam library? Why would someone want to do that?

From the Library menu, choose Add a Game and then Add a Non-Steam Game. Select the game's executable file and you'll now be able to launch it directly from Steam. This is a good idea for two reasons. One, launching all of your games from the same place is convenient. Two, when you launch a Non-Steam Game from your Steam library, people on your friends list will be able to see what you're playing.

Why is X game more expensive on Steam than other retailers? Is buying from Steam not a good deal?

Steam generally offers games at their current MSRP. That means if Capcom wants to charge $30 for Street Fighter IV, that will be the regular Steam price. Yes, you might find the retail version on clearance at Target for less. But that's clearance, which you can't expect every other retailer to match. However, Steam has tons of sales which usually beat everyone else's prices.

When are the big Steam sales?

During the big Steam sales, Steam sells multiple games (sometimes hundreds) at large discounts. There is always a sale on Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) and an extended holiday sale (starting December 24 and lasting until the beginning of January). In 2010 and 2011 there have been extended summer sales too. If you're not in a hurry to play a game and want the best possible price, it's a good idea to wait for these large sales.

Do all Steam games work with controllers?

Just about all PC games can be controlled with mouse and keyboard. But some people are more comfortable with controllers, AKA gamepads, and some games just play better that way. The Xbox 360 controller is the default gamepad for modern PC games. Many games support it, but not all. Most games with controller support have a Controller Enabled graphic Posted Image on their store pages. If a game doesn't have that graphic and doesn't mention controller support in its text description, assume it doesn't work with controllers. There is a partial list here. If you'd like to use a controller with a game that doesn't natively support it, the XPadder app works very well.

-Paul Acevedo

#3 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:54 AM

Expired Sales (2012-onward)

Summer Sale 2012

Daily Deals

Spoiler

Community Choice Winners

Spoiler

Flash Sales

Spoiler

Publisher Packs

Spoiler

-Paul Acevedo

#4 mac995555

mac995555

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

Long Live Steam.

#5 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

Not really sure that we needed a new thread already, but what the hell? Why not?

Thanks eastx.

#6 Frithsblessing

Frithsblessing

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

V4 had a really short life span.
Posted Image

#7 Larce80

Larce80

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

is it strange that I actually never read the first post of any of these threads? This is quite new looking to me.
I think I should from now on...
Sign up at Greenmangaming with my link and we'll both get $2 credit when you make a purchase :)

#8 groz24

groz24

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

I also learned a few things from the first post, since I don't really look at them ever, either!

#9 zillionandnine

zillionandnine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

It's so... new and shiny. This one should last longer than the previous one since it wasn't born during a Steam sale :)

#10 Larce80

Larce80

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

It's so... new and shiny. This one should last longer than the previous one since it wasn't born during a Steam sale :)

It was a summer child
Sign up at Greenmangaming with my link and we'll both get $2 credit when you make a purchase :)

#11 jatan11t

jatan11t

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

Yay shiny new thread!
Speaking of first posts... I never knew there was actually information in it.

#12 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:58 AM

I can't believe we blew through the last thread in under a month.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#13 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

Yeah, it's pretty surreal. So what ever happened to what Cheapy was talking about? I thought it was supposed to eliminate the problems introduced by high-post-count threads?

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#14 INCyr

INCyr

Devotee of CAGthulhu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

Yay, new thread! Wonder how long this one will last - the fact that the last one last a month is just absurd.

#15 moojuice

moojuice

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

Thread V...and to think, years back, Steam was one of the most hated pieces of PC software, but now is basically the go-to platform for PC games.

#16 ObsidianSpire

ObsidianSpire

Obsidian FTW!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

Hooray, new thread. Thanks, eastx and shrike. :D

jybOVvmATuEqX.png

Support Team CAG for Extra Life 2013 in November! Join us in our quest or donate. :D LINK

Current Contest/Giveaway: 

Donate to Extra Life & win one of 12 signed Red Orchestra 2 copies!

#17 jimbodan

jimbodan

Hates you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:29 PM

First page!

Think you're good at Fantasy Sports? Check out Fanduel where you can play daily to win money on Fantasy Sports!

https://www.fanduel....jimbodan&cnl=da

fs_pc.png

#18 EarthBoundX5

EarthBoundX5

Chef Jesus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

Front page reminder! Long Live Coconut Queen!! We will never forget!

Posted Image

Do your civic duty; vote up the metacritic to solidify the gates of perfection Coconut Queen holds!

I like girls

lmao, this reminded me of this....

EDIT: Removed because it broke the front page! And because, well, it's just a bit too creepy; gotta love Danny Elfman and the 80s! Instead of forced youtube embedding, heres a link:
http://www.lmgtfy.co...ittle Girls&l=1

I'm married, so naturally I find every other woman on the planet besides my wife unattractive.

I take it your wife is a CAG? ;)

hmmmmm, or this
Posted Image

What? No link?!

Edited by EarthBoundX5, 14 August 2012 - 01:02 PM.
maximization of science

I don't like having a sig, but for CAG, I figured I'd sheep along.

163177.pngfs_pc.png
http://gamercard.xbo...een/ChefJesusX5 eebeta-badge-small.png
GAP - Since 2003
CAG - Lurked well before current join date

#19 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

I think it was all that fetish talk that killed the last one. :-$

#20 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

:whee: Has that new thread smell, any guess how long it will take for V6?

Posted Image

Also thanks DPsycho for the recommendation of Katawa Shoujo; for some reason I thought it was the exact opposite of what it actually is.

Edited by Sophita, 14 August 2012 - 12:52 PM.

Posted Image

#21 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

Wow v4 didn't even last a month, did it?
Posted Image

#22 Pajama_Man

Pajama_Man

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

The old thread was starting to smell funky.

New thread smells fresh!
Join the CAG's Steam Community HERE!
Posted Image

#23 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

I posted this on the Gamersgate thread but since some of the crowd here may not check there regularly figured I'd repost here.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI is on sale as a daily on Gamersgate at 66% off for $6.78 ($5.76 with the IGN discount).

It does not Steam activate and in fact Steam doesn't even sell it at all, but I figured it may be of interest to some people who like strategy games. According to Deals4Downloads, the cheapest it has been is this price ($6.78) on December 21, 2010 so doesn't seem like it goes on sale much.

Anyhow, I ended up buying it. I did review well there and I don't think many if any other digital download retailers in the English speaking world sell it. I'll try and give it a quick spin after work later but not sure if I will be able to post thoughts before the daily sale ends since they are on Euro time.

steam_sig.png

#24 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

I didn't think we needed a new thread yet, but then while posting last night I was starting to get pauses followed by overflow screens while the system tried to double-post, so yeah. HOORAY NEW THREAD! :D

Also thanks DPsycho for the recommendation of Katawa Shoujo; for some reason I thought it was the exact opposite of what it actually is.

You're quite welcome. I'm also glad to see that I'm not the only one who's played it. Though as someone pointed out in the last few pages of the v4 thread, I should have referred to it as a virtual novel rather than a dating sim.

#25 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

I posted this on the Gamersgate thread but since some of the crowd here may not check there regularly figured I'd repost here.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI is on sale as a daily on Gamersgate at 66% off for $6.78 ($5.76 with the IGN discount).

It does not Steam activate and in fact Steam doesn't even sell it at all, but I figured it may be of interest to some people who like strategy games. According to Deals4Downloads, the cheapest it has been is this price ($6.78) on December 21, 2010 so doesn't seem like it goes on sale much.

Anyhow, I ended up buying it. I did review well there and I don't think many if any other digital download retailers in the English speaking world sell it. I'll try and give it a quick spin after work later but not sure if I will be able to post thoughts before the daily sale ends since they are on Euro time.

I love Romance of three Kingdoms. For anyone who hasn't played them they are based on the book of the same name, and basically the plot of every dynasty warriors game. But the game play is like a much more improved and fleshed out Nobunaga's Ambition.

Though be warned if your not a fan of strategy games with a ton of depth where the tutorial sections is vital, you should proably avoid this one. It is basically a feudal Chinese 4x.

You're quite welcome. I'm also glad to see that I'm not the only one who's played it. Though as someone pointed out in the last few pages of the v4 thread, I should have referred to it as a virtual novel rather than a dating sim.

Ya plus nice to see the game isn't like how I initially thought it was going to be and instead actually promotes treating everyone equally. Definitely backlogged now :applause:
Posted Image

#26 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

I just noticed Tower Wars is releasing in a few hours. http://store.steampo...com/app/214360/

It's supposed to be $9.99 with a 10% discount at launch. Looks kind of interesting. Did anyone get in on the beta?

76561197971332172.png

#27 Woodlands

Woodlands

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

Another thread already?

• When does the Winter Sale start?
  • Should I buy Skyrim now, or will it be cheaper?
  • Is SecurROM safe?
  • When will King's Quest Collection go on sale?
  • When will Magicka go on sale?
  • If I buy Steam: The Complete Pack, will the games I already own go into my inventory?
  • When will Final Fantasy IX come to steam?
  • Does anyone like Doctor Who?

#28 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

Wow v4 didn't even last a month, did it?

Technically this is V6 since V4 had two threads. Not that it matters.

#29 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

Technically this is V6 since V4 had two threads. Not that it matters.

That was V4-2, it doesn't count.

fs_overall.png

#30 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:55 PM

Another thread already?

• When does the Winter Sale start?
  • Should I buy Skyrim now, or will it be cheaper?
  • Is SecurROM safe?
  • When will King's Quest Collection go on sale?
  • When will Magicka go on sale?
  • If I buy Steam: The Complete Pack, will the games I already own go into my inventory?
  • When will Final Fantasy IX come to steam?
  • Does anyone like Doctor Who?

You forgot
*Do you have a fetish for handicapped women?