• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

http://arstechnica.c...se-publication/

Tis a sad day for Nintendo fans everywhere.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#2 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:59 PM

:(

I'm still holding out hope that this is a case of "report first, ask questions later", which is so common these days. But, yeah, maybe not that much hope. :(
Posted Image

#3 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

That sucks. I was holding out on a cheap sub. I will probably try to get the last issue at retail.

#4 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

As a current subscriber, longtime Nintendo fan, and recently could care less about everything they do I'm not sure I give a crap. It was probably overdue at this point.

#5 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

I don't understand why they'd cease publication if they have 475 thousands subscribers, especially these days. Maybe that number is wrong, though.
Posted Image

#6 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

You need to read the article.

- Future wanted it to start shifting towards a digital publication, Nintendo said no
- Nintendo was hard to work with
- Nintendo didn't want to take over the publication (again)

I'm going to get this last issue. I just need to find out where I can get it.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#7 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

This is such incredibly sad news. I first became a subscriber with issue 21, back when they were giving away a copy of Dragon Warrior (which then became my first RPG) to new subscribers. Since then, I've maintained my subscription and haven't missed a single issue, despite the overall decline in quality of the publication. I'll never forget the wonderful memories I have of the NES and SNES era of the magazine, and how excited I'd be every month when my new issue arrived. I recently viewed a collage of early covers to the magazine, and surprised myself when I realized that I could tell you exactly *where* I was when I first read a majority of those issues. And I still have every single issue, too - I'd never let them go. *Sigh.*

Goodbye, Nintendo Power. It's been an amazing run, and I'll miss you so very much.
Posted Image

#8 MushaOne

MushaOne

etc. and so forth...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

I hate to see any video game magazine disappear. Even if it was GamePro. Nintendo Power should have grown up and stopped being such a baby magazine. When all the letters are from 12 year old girls it kind of makes a guy feel dirty just owning that magazine.

And how many times do we have to see one of those yarn mario or links anyways?

#9 ZeroFlame15

ZeroFlame15

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

I remember getting NP with issue 127, subscribed many times in my childhood, and having many issues of it still in my room today. It is sad to see it go. RIP Nintendo Power

#10 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

I dropped off shortly after Future took over. Picked up cheap subs from time to time.

Was always a fan. Remember the Nintendo Power Rewards Catalogs? Those were amazing.

#11 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

Only read Nintendo Power rarely, but when I saw the news on Ars, I was like... wow, it's the end of an era. It had been around so long I thought it would continue on forever.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: The Official PAX Prime (and possibly East) 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#12 Mixer23

Mixer23

I was the Turkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

Sad news indeed... NP was my first Gaming magazine subscription, and may have been my first ever magazine subscription. I had subs off and on over the years, but always enjoyed their issues. I almost bought another sub about 2-3 weeks ago... Glad I didn't.

The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used.

Do you really think I could start a fast food restaurant called McDonaldz and use the golden arches as my logo and get away with it?

#13 E_Man

E_Man

Classically Trained!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:20 PM

Nintendo Power hasn't been great since the last days of the SNES.

#14 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:44 AM

Was always a fan. Remember the Nintendo Power Rewards Catalogs? Those were amazing.

I actually found a couple I had saved while going through a few random boxes last month. After looking through them again, I found all sorts of stuff that made me go, "Why didn't I order that?!" At least I got all the soundtrack CDs they ever offered - some of those are worth upwards of $200 now. Crazy.
Posted Image

#15 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:43 AM

I actually found a couple I had saved while going through a few random boxes last month. After looking through them again, I found all sorts of stuff that made me go, "Why didn't I order that?!" At least I got all the soundtrack CDs they ever offered - some of those are worth upwards of $200 now. Crazy.

I didn't get much...never had much money as a kid.

I *did* get Zelda action figures...I believe it was a Zelda/Link/Ganondorf set.

Sadly, I (stupidly) gave them to my nephews a couple years later. >.<

#16 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:49 AM

Been there since day 1.

Gotta go pour one out for my homies.

>got Dragon Warrior back in the day

There was also a day where I got the Super Metroid Guide from the rewards catalog. That night, I went to a sleep over with a bunch of friends. We stayed up all night playing games, watching Mind's Eye computer animation videos, and eating junk food. One of my friends was working through Super Metroid at the time and brought it over. He got to Draygon and kept dying. I looked up the grappling beam trick and told him I could kill Draygon in seconds. He talked shit the entire time but had to stop mid-sentence when I did the trick and shut down Draygon. It was hilarious.

Gonna miss it. I haven't really been reading it these days, but it's a bastion of childhood long since left over, and has been with me for decades. I'll have to round up all my copies and make sure I'm not missing any, and then put them to rest for eternity.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#17 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:51 AM

I remember reading Nintendo Power when I was a kid... It was awesome!

I tried going to the site to see if I could subscribe to show support, but they've taken it off.
Poor Nintendo Power. :cry:
Posted Image

#18 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:53 AM

My oldest absolutely loved it and looked forward to every issue. :(
Posted Image

#19 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:09 AM

Awful news.

Someone posted this on Twitter, I mentioned it as well.. PDF of the very first issue.

http://t.co/fVY5MeGP

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#20 Dr. Venkman

Dr. Venkman

Body Piercer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:34 AM

Awful news.

Someone posted this on Twitter, I mentioned it as well.. PDF of the very first issue.

A sad, sad day for sure.

They really need to bring Wart back for at least one game, hell even a Mario Kart or Smash Bros would suffice.
I'm not yellow. I'm gold.

#21 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

Alas, Subscriber since issue 2 (with a small gap during college).

Weird through, 400K * $20 is still 8 million. Curious what the margins were.

#22 gambit444

gambit444

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

I remember reading that 1st issue over & over. They use to be stratagy guides before that was a thing. I use to hold on to every issue in case i ever got the featured game then they started with "here's the first level, that's it" then by the time the N64 rolled around it was just ads for upcoming games & crappy reviews.

This reminds me of a show like the simpsons. you were great in your day but shoulda quit before it became a poor shadow of what it once was.

#23 Rasen

Rasen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

This is such incredibly sad news. I first became a subscriber with issue 21, back when they were giving away a copy of Dragon Warrior (which then became my first RPG) to new subscribers.

Me too! (I never played it, but free game was free game) Regrettably, I let my subscription lapse, but I do miss those days.

#24 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

Awful news.

I still have my copy... plus most of the Fun Club magazines they published prior (I think issue #3 had Zelda on the cover and that was my fist issue). I must have read the one with Zelda II on the cover every night for 6 months.

This one:

Posted Image

Ahhh... the memories... I haven't subscribed since the early 90s though...

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#25 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

I like the magazine as it is now, but can't help but feel that it could use some beefening up.

Nintendo is totally being a dick about this, but this is to be expected since they dumped it. They could've kept the thing running, especially since every bob and sue owns a Wii or a DS, but they just didn't want to run a magazine to reduce their risk. Future Publishing picked it up at least, but now Nintendo doesn't want it anymore? What the hell?
Sure everything is going digital, but it still doesn't beat the feeling of holding something in your hands and reading it on paper.

Braving the pillow gauntlet.

Posted Image

#26 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

This is such incredibly sad news. I first became a subscriber with issue 21, back when they were giving away a copy of Dragon Warrior (which then became my first RPG) to new subscribers.

That's the exact issue I signed up for. I only kept the sub for a couple years though.

#27 Sway

Sway

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

After yesterday's report that the 24-year history of Nintendo Power was coming to an end, Nintendo has confirmed that the December 2012 issue will be the magazine's last. "Nintendo can confirm that Future US will end the production of Nintendo Power magazine with the last issue slated for December 2012," the company told CVG (which is also owned by Future Publishing, incidentally).

According to yesterday's report, Nintendo was "difficult to work with" and did little to help Future transition the magazine into the online era. Nintendo Power staff members will reportedly migrate to other Future publications.

http://www.joystiq.c...un-in-december/

#28 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

Am I the only one who enjoyed the Future rendition of Nintendo Power? I loved the retro game of the month, the section for dedicated fans and their creations, some truly fantastic interviews, even from devs/artists/musicians/whatever barely involved with Nintendo systems, and their reviews, which seemed a tad more objective (case in point, some Pokemon game for Wii got 6.5 along with some very valid criticism as to why it's not ERMAGHERD POKEMON 9.5/10) I don't honestly feel the old regime would have gave that game a 6.5.

I'm going to miss the hell out of Nintendo Power.

#29 johnnypark

johnnypark

Farewell My Viking!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:57 PM

Haven't read it in years but have many fond memories. I still have a few old issues lying around... I can still remember my excitement when I came home to find Link's Awakening on the cover of the issue that had just arrived.
Selling both CoD: Black Ops Declassified and Resistance: Burning Skies for $40 shipped. Check my trade list or PM me!

:3ds: 2363-5670-6657
My Trade List

Feedback on Ebay

Twitter

#30 Mixer23

Mixer23

I was the Turkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

Awful news.

That model of Wart on the cover looks an awful lot like King K. Rool.

The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used.

Do you really think I could start a fast food restaurant called McDonaldz and use the golden arches as my logo and get away with it?