Best Buy: Unadvertised 3DS game price drops/clearance - YMMV but shouldn't

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 BudzMcGee

BudzMcGee

Clearance Bin Review

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:57 PM

Was at the flagship Best Buy today and saw a bunch of stuff I hadn't previously seen marked down. These were all yellow tag priced, no manager stickers, no price override at the register so they SHOULD be universal (or mostly universal) in store price drops, but of course, YMMV. This is what this store had, if I see any more at a different store I will update. Some really good prices with the B2G1 sale ending today.

:3ds:The Adventures of TinTin - $19.99 (Been this price for a while, but marked clearance so I'm listing it)

:3ds:Decca Sports - $14.99 (also been this price for a while)

:3ds:PES (Pro Evolution Soccer) 2011 - $9.99
:3ds:James Noir - Hollywood Crimes - $9.99
:3ds:Chronicles: Samurai Warriors - $9.99
:3ds:Combat of Giants - $9.99

:3ds:Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion - $6.99
:3ds:Ridge Racer 3D - $6.99

:3ds:Dream Trigger - $5.99

My video game site ClearanceBinReview.com - The right game for the right price.
300x156xBacklog-Quest-II-300x156.jpg.pag
Want to write reviews of iPhone and XBLIG's and get FREE games for doing so? We are looking for writers! Go HERE.

Sign up for Shopkick and get free Best Buy and Target gift cards for free! Sign up through here (referral) for 50 bonus kicks!

#2 TheEliminator62

TheEliminator62

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:11 PM

Sometimes I wonder why I own a 3DS with fruity games like this.

#3 TheAggroCraig

TheAggroCraig

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:41 PM

Because every system in existence besides the 3DS has only had AAA games released for them

Posted Image

(Ex: Buy/Half/DeepDiscount/Gamestop.com/etc)

#4 KJAZZ

KJAZZ

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:41 PM

There are terrible games on every single system. Every. Single. One.

#5 Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

Nintendo consoles have it the worse of course

#6 dark_inchworm

dark_inchworm

Oyasuminasai

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:47 PM

Looks like a whole bunch of blah, except maybe Dream Trigger.

Looking to sell codes for The Gunstringer and Fruit Ninja Kinect, together or separately. Message me with your offer.

Stream KMFDM's new album KUNST in its entirety here!

#7 coolz481

coolz481

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:31 AM

Wouldn't mind picking up Ridge Racer 3D for that price. Thanks for the heads up, OP.
\\:D/

#8 scottman

scottman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:40 AM

Not really fair to judge it based on the list of games on clearance, which are typically not great games by definition of clearance.

#9 BudzMcGee

BudzMcGee

Clearance Bin Review

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:47 AM

5 of those 9 games are either directly available on Xbox/PS3 or another game in the same franchise is too. If you include the Wii, 6 of the 9 are for sure.

I snagged PES, Punchtime Explosion and James Noir for a grand total of $6.70 each after the B2G1 sale. Worth it just to try them out. James and PES trade in for $10 each currently if I don't like them, so no loss there. Punch Time trades for $6. Not making money on them really, but I'll try them, if they suck, back they go. PES is a pretty popular franchise though.

Want to write reviews of iPhone and XBLIG's and get FREE games for doing so? We are looking for writers! Go HERE.

Sign up for Shopkick and get free Best Buy and Target gift cards for free! Sign up through here (referral) for 50 bonus kicks!

#10 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:11 AM

The reason there's so much shovelware on the Wii and DS/3DS is because Nintendo moved away from their "seal of quality" era.

The "seal of quality" meant that Nintendo approved of the quality of the product and it was licensed for your system. Now, it's just the "Official Nintendo seal", which basically means that the product is licensed or manufactured by Nintendo.

Official Nintendo Seal of Quality

Spoiler

Official Nintendo Seal

Spoiler

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:15 AM

The seal of quality had nothing to do with game quality, it just was to make sure the game worked on your system and it wouldn't crap out or be glitchy or something like that. There were a few unlicensed games released for the NES too.

The NES, also had a ton of shovelware, and it was worse back then since we didn't know it was shovelware, you had to buy games blindly unless you had recommendation from a friend or bought a game based off an article in Nintendo Power. So almost every single video game system in history has a ton of shovelware.

#12 scottman

scottman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:25 AM

Ah yes, I remember the great old days of buying a game based on how fun the cover art or screenshots on the back made it look. Surprisingly, I was rarely disappointed. Such simpler times.

#13 ThatOneGuyWho

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:37 AM

I would only get Ridge Racer 3D but even at that I rather have the Vita version, oh well.

#14 jello44

jello44

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:58 AM

I would only get Ridge Racer 3D but even at that I rather have the Vita version, oh well.

The good thing about the 3DS version is that it is at least a full game and not a third of a game with the rest being DLC.

#15 discordman

discordman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:00 AM

Captain Planet makes Punch Time Explosion a buy for me at that price.

Posted Image

#16 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:03 AM

The good thing about the 3DS version is that it is at least a full game and not a third of a game with the rest being DLC.

Say it isn't so!:-#

I have the Asphalt demo on Vita and was debating between that and Ridge Racer(no demo). Either would have to be $20 or less, of course, whenever I decide to buy.

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#17 Rodster

Rodster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:11 AM

Say it isn't so!:-#

I have the Asphalt demo on Vita and was debating between that and Ridge Racer(no demo). Either would have to be $20 or less, of course, whenever I decide to buy.

Do not buy RR for the Vita, you'll get ripped off. Check Amazon and all the low reviews just for that reason alone.

#18 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

Ah yes, I remember the great old days of buying a game based on how fun the cover art or screenshots on the back made it look. Surprisingly, I was rarely disappointed. Such simpler times.

That's because you were a kid. Kids don't give a shit.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#19 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:18 AM

Do not buy RR for the Vita, you'll get ripped off. Check Amazon and all the low reviews just for that reason alone.

Just read Amazon-"Namco didn't even release a real demo because a demo would be this full crap game."

LMFAO!:lol: Damn. I watched some gameplay vids on YouTube, but didn't bother to research it more because that's my second favorite racing franchise and I felt they, actually, made it look like a Ridge Racer game.

Thanks for the heads up!

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#20 ChuckyDJ

ChuckyDJ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:22 AM

Oh yes I remember these days on Atari like when pac man came out and my parents went to 4 stores before they found one that wasn't sold out and paid $50 for it. Then they told me that I wouldn't need to go to the arcade anymore. After playing it for 2 minutes I told them I would definately still be going to the arcade. Glad I didn't buy E.T. when it came out that Christmas at least.

#21 FasterTTW

FasterTTW

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:40 AM

The seal of quality had nothing to do with game quality, it just was to make sure the game worked on your system and it wouldn't crap out or be glitchy or something like that. There were a few unlicensed games released for the NES too.

The NES, also had a ton of shovelware, and it was worse back then since we didn't know it was shovelware, you had to buy games blindly unless you had recommendation from a friend or bought a game based off an article in Nintendo Power. So almost every single video game system in history has a ton of shovelware.

While not directly related to the "seal of quality", Nintendo would only allow each publisher to release X number of games per year on the NES, which did help to improve quality.. publishers had to release the games they thought would make them the most money.

(quick google shows the yearly limit was 5 titles per publisher)

#22 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:07 AM

PES (Pro Evolution Soccer) 2011 - $9.99

Chronicles: Samurai Warriors - $9.99
Combat of Giants - $9.99

are not bad games
WOOOO I STINK

#23 BudzMcGee

BudzMcGee

Clearance Bin Review

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:11 AM

Combat of Giants wasn't bad, just very very repetitive.

#24 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:19 AM

Chronicles: Samurai Warriors play around 10 hours and not even near half done something to play when bored ...but it goes on the long list of backlog games now
WOOOO I STINK

#25 ThatOneGuyWho

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:19 AM

I know but the graphics and controls are what kill it for me. I know, I know, I'm bad but when you play the game on the PSP, PS3 and 360 and than have to play the horrible looking DS and 3DS version... it's just bad. The controls aren't too bad just not as smooth.

I'll get the Vita version when its $5 than hopefully the DLC will be on sale or free by the time I get it.

#26 ThatOneGuyWho

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:26 AM

Actually, Ridge Racer 3DS is starting to look a lot better than before. I only saw a feel videos of it and was still set on getting the Vita version but after checking out some reviews, it looks good. Not $10 but for $7 (free w/ my gift cards) its looks great.

Still might not get it now but definitely worth it.

#27 Eggman

Eggman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:33 AM

I know but the graphics and controls are what kill it for me. I know, I know, I'm bad but when you play the game on the PSP, PS3 and 360 and than have to play the horrible looking DS and 3DS version... it's just bad. The controls aren't too bad just not as smooth.

I'll get the Vita version when its $5 than hopefully the DLC will be on sale or free by the time I get it.

The 3DS has better visuals than the PSP could ever possibly produce.

#28 Versafied

Versafied

Formerly known as vlv723

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:45 AM

Wouldn't mind picking up Ridge Racer 3D for that price. Thanks for the heads up, OP.

Same here. New game doesn't show up on the website anymore. Time to find one.

#29 BudzMcGee

BudzMcGee

Clearance Bin Review

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:50 AM

Same here. New game doesn't show up on the website anymore. Time to find one.

Yeah, sorry, should of written down the SKU so that we could make a search link. If anyone can find it, post it, please and thank you.

Nevermind. Ridge Racer 3D SKU: 2364345

#30 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:59 AM

Yeah. I searched for the Ridge Racer SKU and did the SKU link creation thing and it's not working. Figured I could stock up on some games and stalk a 3DS for $50 or less from Cowboom.

Oh well, searching local Best Buy clearance on line, I see that Dream Trigger game for $5.99 and Street Fighter X Tekken Special Edition:ps3: for $34.99, Deus Ex for Windows $6.99.