Photo
- - - - -

Half Life: Black Mesa Source Released! (Free)

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Link2999

Link2999

Demon Lord

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

Not Half Life 3, but close enough ^_^
Black Mesa is a community driven project that was given Valve's seal of approval. Anyways, here's some links in case you want to check it out:

Steam Page: http://steamcommunit...ls/?id=94128543
Download Links (Will update as more become available): http://www.mediafire...khmzyygg4vetko0

#2 NEP

NEP

Oogaboogabooga

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

I had no idea this was finally coming out. It's been years, hasn't it? Thanks for the heads up!

#3 Link2999

Link2999

Demon Lord

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

I had no idea this was finally coming out. It's been years, hasn't it? Thanks for the heads up!

Ya, Valve gave up on it I guess but it's been handed off to be a community driven project. I don't think they could complete the entire thing, but there's a good amount of it done and it's free.

#4 jack612

jack612

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

Ya, Valve gave up on it I guess but it's been handed off to be a community driven project. I don't think they could complete the entire thing, but there's a good amount of it done and it's free.

It was never a Valve project.

#5 Link2999

Link2999

Demon Lord

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

It was never a Valve project.

Who was making it originally then? I thought years back they announced it but then it just kind of evaporated. Was it always just a community mod?

#6 tranceFusion

tranceFusion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

what is the deal with this? It's a stand-alone download right now but at some point later it will release through steam?

#7 Hoarder

Hoarder

Steam Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

what is the deal with this? It's a stand-alone download right now but at some point later it will release through steam?

It garnered enough votes for Steam Greenlight. It'll most likely show up in the Steam Store eventually as a free mod.

#8 BuDdyLe

BuDdyLe

Dat CAG though.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

^^^Totoro conspiracy :). The original black mesa was pretty fun, I think it actually had coop too so might be nice to run through iit again with a friend. But yeah, valve needs to hurry up with another episode.

***Damn just watched the trailer, definitely gonna play! plus its free. But the side tab only says singleplayer , oh wells.

"They should fist that f :cold: ker with a RockSalt Gauntlet"

#9 jack612

jack612

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

Who was making it originally then? I thought years back they announced it but then it just kind of evaporated. Was it always just a community mod?

It's always been a community mod. It's been these same guys since day one. They've just taken forever to get anything out.

#10 FlyingMonkey9

FlyingMonkey9

Genetically Modified CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:55 PM

HOLY CRAP! Can't believe the remake is actually out, havent heard anything about it since 2006 lol

#11 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the post, OP. I've been waiting seemingly forever for another HL. Gaben should be ashamed of himself.

#12 FatherChesz

FatherChesz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

Damn, http downloads are hammered right now. Hope the torrents work better when I make it home.

#13 Shimrra

Shimrra

Hello Ladies !!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:10 PM

ITS OUT
Posted Image

A beautiful 35-year-old ain’t as as good lookin’ as an ugly 19-year-old. Women expect us to like them but they don’t even like each other” Patrice O’neal

Shimrra74.png2rfy52g.jpg

#14 honkyjesus

honkyjesus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

"Almost" as good as HL3? errrrrrrrr

#15 supershammy

supershammy

Hand-rolled and ice cold.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

Please note in the OP this is not the full game, this is all gameplay up to the Lambda Core. The second part (Xen) is still being worked on and will come in a second, separate release some time from now.

The Black Mesa team announced its first ship date earlier this month, focusing on play “all the way up to Lambda Core.” A second part is still in the pipeline, however. “We are still working hard on Xen and BMDM” the team said, “but instead of making you wait we are giving you Black Mesa as soon as it’s ready.”

http://www.slashgear...eborn-14247596/

#16 BernardoOne

BernardoOne

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:01 PM

You are thinking about Half-Life:Return to Ravenholm. Different game. Black mesa was always a community mod.

#17 AsherFischell

AsherFischell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

Please note in the OP this is not the full game, this is all gameplay up to the Lambda Core. The second part (Xen) is still being worked on and will come in a second, separate release some time from now.

You, sir, have just saved me a lot of irritation. Thank ya, kindly.

#18 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

I haven't played half life in years but I am pretty sure the mod covers like 90 percent of the game.

#19 twztid13

twztid13

Infinite backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:44 PM

:bow:

#20 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:53 PM

I'm still waiting to get my 6870 from the Defense Grid Kickstarter... it was supposed to ship early Sept but they're still waiting to get all the cards (and other hardware) so that they can ship everything at once (instead of shipping them out as they get them). Seems kinda dumb because when they have all of them, it'll take a lot of time to pack/prepare the cards one by one.:roll:

But until I get my new card, I can't play this...:-(

Currently playing:
:ps3: God of War: Ascension - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#21 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:09 AM

I'm still waiting to get my 6870 from the Defense Grid Kickstarter... it was supposed to ship early Sept but they're still waiting to get all the cards (and other hardware) so that they can ship everything at once (instead of shipping them out as they get them). Seems kinda dumb because when they have all of them, it'll take a lot of time to pack/prepare the cards one by one.:roll:

But until I get my new card, I can't play this...:-(

They actually gave out graphics cards for the kickstarter? How much did you have to pay? I need an upgrade, but I'm running two in crossfire and can play this game fine.

#22 PenguinMaster

PenguinMaster

Sacrilicious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:42 AM

I haven't played half life in years but I am pretty sure the mod covers like 90 percent of the game.

14 out of 18 chapters... and I never cared for the Xen stuff anyway.

Digital distribution is the death of the preservation of the arts.

Game Collection: http://backloggery.c...r=penguinmaster
Blu-ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...action=overview

#23 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

Can this be played outside of Steam?

#24 Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

No because it installs to Steam. I thought you need Half Life 2 installed in order to play this?

#25 mkaliaz

mkaliaz

Scurvy Dog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

This pissed me off a little bit until I remembered how crappy the Xen chapters were so maybe this is what Half Life 1 should have been anyways! :)

Argh, just replayed the source version like a month ago but it probably deserves another playthrough. Trailer looks amazing!

#26 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

They actually gave out graphics cards for the kickstarter? How much did you have to pay? I need an upgrade, but I'm running two in crossfire and can play this game fine.

Yeah, they were giving out lots of good items. The 6870 was for a $105 donation (you could get a 6770 for $70)... plus you get the original Defense Grid game and expansion when it's finished. I needed a new card and that was a great deal (since these cards are still going for ~$150) but I didn't expect to have to wait this long.:-/

http://www.kickstart.../defense-grid-2

Currently playing:
:ps3: God of War: Ascension - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#27 Statix

Statix

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:13 PM

This project just shows how incredibly long it takes for a full-scale game to be completed by even the absolute most dedicated and concerted amateur modders. I remember reading about this remake years and years ago--nearly a decade, perhaps--and it STILL isn't fully finished. Games that are completed in a 2-3 year life-cycle by a fully-financed game studio are a completely different animal than even the efforts of most talented of the volunteer modding community.

Kinda lends perspective to how amazing it is that studios like Treyarch, Naughty Dog, or DICE can pump out entirely new, original games, year after year after year.

#28 bob101910

bob101910

Cammy's Cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

No because it installs to Steam. I thought you need Half Life 2 installed in order to play this?

Just need the free SDK thingy, no Half Life 2.

I've played through a few chapters last night. Compared to the original, this one is amazing.

My Completed Games   (Last Updated: 07/10/14 *Most Recent: Guacamelee - X1*)   

This Week on YouTube: FIFA 14(X1)   - Next Week on YouTube: Project Spark (X1)

This Weekend on Twitch:  I'll be watching EVO

#29 Neuropod

Neuropod

Fine work, skeleton!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

It really is awesome. Feels like a nostalgia-goggles version of Half-Life, or in other words, Half-Life as you remember it rather than Half-Life as it is. Unless of course you've played HL recently (I haven't touched it since right before Orange Box came out.)
76561197996844513.png

#30 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

Never played the first, so I'll wait until the story is complete. Now if Star Trek Excalibur would ever release....