Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Games

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

Well I kind of thought it was a joke at first but I guess not. All these guys jumping ship makes me wonder about the future of gaming as we know. First the guys from Bioware and now CliffyB.

http://epicgames.com...i-departs-epic/

#2 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

Maybe he will go back to making good games. Epic hasn't made a good game since Gears of War. 2 and 3 stunk and Unreal Tournament 3 has to go down as one of the all time biggest disappointments ever. When they started worrying more about their bottom line and less about the quality of the product, their product stopped delivering.

Posted Image

#3 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

Sad news but it makes me feel more secure in moving on from the GoW franchise as now I know without a shadow of a doubt it will never be the same again.

Stop trying to Scooby-Doo this. We're not going to solve this mystery for you. 

#4 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

Pretty high profile departure. Could be a career move, retire move, or a marriage move ;)

#5 dirtyvu

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

Gears 2 and 3 were better than 1.

Gears 1 cover was so rough. It was so sticky sometimes. And it was a little unpredictable what you could take cover behind and what you couldn't.

And the graphics, while great for the time, didn't hold up. My friend didn't get a 360 until Gears 3 came out and he went back to Gears 1 to have the start of the story and couldn't stand the graphics.

I think Cliffy will take a sabbatical and enjoy the vacation and then come back fresh for the next gen systems.

#6 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Enchantments?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

Wow, this is pretty epic news. Har jar, I made a funny!

Seriously tho, he was the life blood of epic. That's how it seemed to me at least. Next gen is going to be interesting.
Chubbyninja1319.png
~<{ Whatever we were before, we are now the Inquisition }>~

#7 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

Cliff gets his score printed in the first issue of Nintendo Power and later becomes the face of Epic.

Nintendo Power shuts down and Cliff leaves Epic.
Posted Image

#8 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:09 PM

Damn :-(

Hopefully he keeps making games!

#9 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:15 AM

Well I kind of thought it was a joke at first but I guess not. All these guys jumping ship makes me wonder about the future of gaming as we know. First the guys from Bioware and now CliffyB.

http://epicgames.com...i-departs-epic/

CliffyB does not concern me to much. I'm sure he will move on to bigger and better things. I'm a fan of the games he has made but not as big as some that will read this. What I'm wondering about are the ones from Bioware. I'm sure they will do well also however till EA took over things I was a big fan of Bioware.
Posted Image

#10 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:34 AM

Pretty high profile departure. Could be a career move, retire move, or a marriage move ;)

I think he's already married, unless you meant something else :-P

Guessing it's largely a career move. He's too young to retire, though he could very easily afford to ;)

Cliff gets his score printed in the first issue of Nintendo Power and later becomes the face of Epic.

IT'S ALL NINTENDO'S FAULT! :whee:
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#11 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:56 AM

I think he's already married, unless you meant something else :-P

Guessing it's largely a career move. He's too young to retire, though he could very easily afford to ;)

IT'S ALL NINTENDO'S FAULT! :whee:

And the industry is known to destroy marriages. He probably wants to keep his.

#12 The Ebbtide

The Ebbtide

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:57 AM

I wonder what this means for Gears of War: Judgment. And I wonder if him leaving has anything to do with the backlash towards Gears of War 3 and the greed quest Epic went on.

The series definitely went worse after 2, and they never got the tone right after the first game. There's got to be more to this than "I need a break."

#13 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:59 AM

Gears 2 and 3 were better than 1.

lol

#14 Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Keep Calm Chive On

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:07 AM

I vote...career move

Retire: Too young

Marriage: He is married/engaged to this online Cosplay girl

Career: He is leaving Epic probably because he wants to expand his range

Check my YouTube channel for exotic cars: https://www.youtube.com/user/DKGarage

#15 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:29 AM

I wonder what this means for Gears of War: Judgment. And I wonder if him leaving has anything to do with the backlash towards Gears of War 3 and the greed quest Epic went on.

The series definitely went worse after 2, and they never got the tone right after the first game. There's got to be more to this than "I need a break."

Aw crap. I love my Gears. I don't see this being a good thing for the new Gears.

#16 DurbanBrown

DurbanBrown

to the MOON

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

didnt expect this

Zombies-Sig.jpg

last.fm: shroomer1999                                                                  Designed By Lilchiji

#17 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

Hmm. I guess Judgment is a dry run for other creative voices to take over the Gears series. Three of the best games of all time IMO so I'll be eagerly awaiting whatever Cliffy gets up to next.

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#18 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

Hmm. I guess Judgment is a dry run for other creative voices to take over the Gears series. Three of the best games of all time IMO so I'll be eagerly awaiting whatever Cliffy gets up to next.

Should Gears even continue to live after Judgement? IDK. I didn't play the third one yet, but it doesn't seem to have the staying power or deeper narrative that Halo has by comparison (not that Halo is incredibly deep. It just has a richer backstory with the Forerunners IMO).

#19 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

Should Gears even continue to live after Judgement? IDK. I didn't play the third one yet, but it doesn't seem to have the staying power or deeper narrative that Halo has by comparison (not that Halo is incredibly deep. It just has a richer backstory with the Forerunners IMO).

I know some people are really into the fiction, but Gears is more about the moment to moment gameplay for me, so as long as it's got some 'roided out bros chainsawing and active-reloading through a bunch of incredibly polished TPS setpieces, I'm down for prequels or side stories or whatever. ;)

#20 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

I know some people are really into the fiction, but Gears is more about the moment to moment gameplay for me, so as long as it's got some 'roided out bros chainsawing and active-reloading through a bunch of incredibly polished TPS setpieces, I'm down for prequels or side stories or whatever. ;)

No questions the action is nice and polished, but you can carry that to a new franchise. Lord knows other franchises have adapted it (I'm looking at ME3).

#21 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

No questions the action is nice and polished, but you can carry that to a new franchise. Lord knows other franchises have adapted it (I'm looking at ME3).

Hmm... The founders of BioWare just quit last week... Maybe they're forming a supergroup with Cliffy B. to create the most badass TPS/RPG franchise ever. Gears of War with romance sidequests.

#22 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

Gears of War with romance sidequests.

Everyone's gay fantasies with Marcus Fenix can finally come true!

Also I'm betting money on Broszinksi emerging with an iOS centric venture after a period of rest.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#23 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

Everyone's gay fantasies with Marcus Fenix can finally come true!

Also I'm betting money on Broszinksi emerging with an iOS centric venture after a period of rest.

I don't think he will go mobile development. He's too passionate about 'hardcore' gamer experiences.

#24 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

Hmm... The founders of BioWare just quit last week... Maybe they're forming a supergroup with Cliffy B. to create the most badass TPS/RPG franchise ever. Gears of War with romance sidequests.

Sadly with the way the industry is shaping up I wouldn't be surprised.

I bet good money Dead Space is the next to get raped.

Stop trying to Scooby-Doo this. We're not going to solve this mystery for you. 

#25 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

Oh man... o h maan :cry:
N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Master Chief Collection, The Witcher 3
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2908-9378

#26 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

I don't think he will go mobile development. He's too passionate about 'hardcore' gamer experiences.

Epic talked quite positively about how Infinity Blade sold really well, and effectively made more money for them than Gears of War. Granted, maybe it was Mark Rein saying this (it was a while ago so I'm not sure).

Which is to say, I could see him going mobile and saying that he wants to deliver first rate/hardcore/AAA experiences in that market. Maybe he could usher in actual buttons for such devices.

Not saying it really matters. It'll be interesting to see what he ends up doing.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#27 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

I am kinda shocked but then again I am not. What I want to know is how much of these GOW Sequels were something Cliffy wanted and how much Microsoft threw cash at Epic to make it.

I think this could of been hey, were only making GOW games now. I wanna do something else but I can't, see ya.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#28 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

Would be awesome if he'd develop something for the Ouya.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#29 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

When high profile people who can make it on their own leave a company, it usually means they are going to take some time to start their own and run things the way they want. I expect the same here.

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#30 dirtyvu

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

Epic talked quite positively about how Infinity Blade sold really well, and effectively made more money for them than Gears of War. Granted, maybe it was Mark Rein saying this (it was a while ago so I'm not sure).

It didn't make more money. Rein was talking about profit efficiency. How it was easier to make more money with Infinity Blade because the team was very small and they could churn out a product much faster than Gears of War which took over a year to make.

Kind of like the $15 million movie making $100 million versus the $250 million movie making $500 million. Sure, the $250 million movie made a much nicer profit of $250 million versus the $85 million profit. But it cost a lot more to make, took a lot more resources to make, and had a much higher risk.

But in terms of pure profit, it's not even close and totally in Gears favor.