RPG Thread XVII - Talk of RPGs past.

• Please log in to reply
1502 replies to this topic

#1 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

It looked like the old thread was closed, so it falls upon me to make a new one.

All we ever do is talk about old games anyway.

On that note, Persona 1, Persona 2 IS, and Persona 3 (Portable and Answer) are on sale on
the PSN store this week.
($4.99, $14.99 and $9.99 respectively)

Finished (nearly) Devil Survivor 2 a few months ago, so I'm a little burnt out on the whole SMT thing, but these have always been one of the best tactically complex RPGs.

Which should I pick up? I loved P2: Eternal Punishment back on the OG PS. Did not care for the setting and on-rails structure of Persona 3.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#2 ihadFG

ihadFG

Adamustache

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

When you say on-rails structure of P3, are you talking about the portable version?

My Tradelist

#3 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

I only played the PS 2 version of Persona 3 FES.

What I meant by on rails is how some choices were made for you. Oh it's nighttime, you can't go shopping; sorry, you can't go to the dungeon and fight now, etc, etc. The combat was fine. (I played the version where you could control the characters)

I also hated how it echoed your decisions back at you. "Take a rest? Yes/No." "You choose to rest."

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#4 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

What I meant by on rails is how some choices were made for you. Oh it's nighttime, you can't go shopping; sorry, you can't go to the dungeon and fight now, etc, etc. The combat was fine. (I played the version where you could control the characters)

It always made sense to me. When you have other commitments that day, like meeting with the team, you aren't going to be able to do other things. While that may be a pain in the ass, usually you have enough warning.
Posted Image

#5 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

Talk of RPGs Past because lately, modern RPGs just aren't the same.

I am very much looking forward to Tales of Xillia and Ni No Kuni, though. Anything else I should have on my radar (non-portables)? The newest RPG released I played is Tales of Graces f, I think.

#6 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

Nippon Ichi's "The Witch And The Hundred Knights"

http://www.nisameric...games/witch100/
Posted Image

#7 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

New thread, yippee. Not much to contribute. I beat Birth by Sleep the other day. The final playthrough felt really tedious. I still need to get one more Xenohort's report then onto the final chapter.

Overheard some guy at GS say, "Assassian's Creed 3 is probably my favorite RPG this generation"

#8 j-cart

j-cart

PAPER TRAILS on a mountain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

New thread, yippee. Not much to contribute. I beat Birth by Sleep the other day. The final playthrough felt really tedious. I still need to get one more Xenohort's report then onto the final chapter.

Overheard some guy at GS say, "Assassian's Creed 3 is probably my favorite RPG this generation"

Being very loose with the definition of RPG, AC3 can be considered one. Just like how every Zelda game is considered a RPG.

In other news, SWTOR goes F2P Nov 15th. For those of you thinking about playing, come to the official thread!

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=331023

#9 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

(Takes a deep sniff)...

Ah, new thread smell.

...still playing FF XIII-2, enjoying it much more than XIII.

#10 luxuria

luxuria

Memories of You

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

When did SE release Final Fantasy XIII?

#11 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:07 AM

March 2010 in the West. Hopefully XIII-3 lands this Spring.

On the subject of past RPGs, I'm playing through FFIV for the first time (the PSP version is very nice), and currently trying to figure out how to dispose of Soego in Planescape Torment.

#12 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:47 AM

Whoa, it's been awhile since a new thread got started.

Currently plugging away at Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life. Recently got the blue feather, but am still only able to ship milk and eggs from my storage room.

Haven't been playing it much this week, though, thanks to Halo 4 :-P
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#13 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:52 AM

Very excited about Paper Mario: Sticker Star this Sunday. Though from what I've read it's the least rpg-like entry yet.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#14 likeme

likeme

LOVE ME SOME RPG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:02 AM

I just beat tales of grace f and the game was awesome. My wife is happy now since I was hooked on the game and could not put it down

#15 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:07 AM

All we ever do is talk about old games anyway.

Hey, now. We talked about Project Eternity. That game just looks old.

Very excited about Paper Mario: Sticker Star this Sunday. Though from what I've read it's the least rpg-like entry yet.

Even more than the Wii game?

March 2010 in the West. Hopefully XIII-3 lands this Spring.

On the subject of past RPGs, I'm playing through FFIV for the first time (the PSP version is very nice), and currently trying to figure out how to dispose of Soego in Planescape Torment.

Ah, the Dead Nations.

Don't miss learning to speak to Stale Mary, too.

Edited by The Crotch, 09 November 2012 - 04:22 AM.

Posted Image

#16 luxuria

luxuria

Memories of You

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:29 AM

Been trying to play Disgaea 3 but I just can't get into it. I find the MC to be obnoxious. ~_o Anyone play Ragnarok Tactics yet? If so, is it any good?

#17 raiden_86

raiden_86

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

Picking up P2 during the psn sale, Going on a business trip soon so my psp is going to get some much needed love in the form of FFT & Valkyria Chronicles 2.

Just got Balthier in FFT and man is he OP. Incredible speed and equipment and 10 levels above everyone else.

#18 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:13 AM

Everything is overpowered in FFT.

Posted Image

#19 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:34 AM

Nippon Ichi's "The Witch And The Hundred Knights"

http://www.nisameric...games/witch100/

Thanks! I forgot the name of this one after hearing about it on 8-4 Play podcast, Amazon deleted my browsing history. Kept second guessing myself when trying to remember what it was, confusing it with Wrath of the White Witch, which I knew was Ni No Kuni, haha.

I just beat tales of grace f and the game was awesome. My wife is happy now since I was hooked on the game and could not put it down

Now time to start New Game+ :)
(Or Lineage & Legacies, if you didn't already)

#20 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:56 AM

Mugen Souls just came out. No opinions?
http://www.amazon.co...rds=mugen souls

Ragnarok Tactics/Odyssey?

So I plan on picking up at -least- Persona 2. Is Persona 1 pretty dated? (hmm. first person dungeons?)
I know Persona 4 Golden is coming out for the Vita. No PSP version?

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#21 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

Mugen Souls just came out. No opinions?
http://www.amazon.co...rds=mugen souls

Ragnarok Tactics/Odyssey?

So I plan on picking up at -least- Persona 2. Is Persona 1 pretty dated? (hmm. first person dungeons?)

Haven't opened any of them. X-Com and Mugen Souls are at the top of my list, yet I find myself playing FTL and other indie games.

elessar123.png

#22 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

Lots of people rip on Persona 1 but I'm a firm defender of it. My opinion towards it is probably nostalgia if nothing else but damn I love that game. P1 is no more dated than an old school FF or DQ game. Plus it's got the choicest battle music, listening to it wants me to do another playthrough:

#23 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:33 PM

Everything is overpowered in FFT.

not archers and their charge + 20
Every day's great at your Junes!

#24 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

Alright, fair enough. And I vaguely recall geomancy being shit.

Did War of the Lions fix that infinite-resurrection female accessory bug?

Posted Image

#25 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

let's not forget about cloud. omni slash activates when the map is over.
Every day's great at your Junes!

#26 Das_Regal

Das_Regal

It's Pizza Time!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:42 AM

Geomancy was amazing when you first got it, just not later. The abilities don't scale that impressively.

But nothing beats an assassin squad of dual-fist-wielding, teleporting monks with bracers. I unintentionally made a DBZ squad every time I played.

#27 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

Radiant Historia is pretty cheap on Amazon right now. Is it worth getting?
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#28 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

I've heard nothing but good things about Radiant Historia. It's probably one of the last few :ds: RPGs I haven't played. (And DQM 2)

Is Persona 4 (golden or non-golden) coming out for the PSP or just the vita?

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#29 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

Is Persona 4 (golden or non-golden) coming out for the PSP or just the vita?

Just the Vita, as far as I know. It is why I picked up P4 for the PS2.
Posted Image

#30 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:03 AM

i had so much fun with fft. i remember rage frogging mini everyone on both teams and letting it job point boost for hours. i also raised everyone's brave to 100, and lowered their faith to 0 so magic does no damage, and with my blade grasp skill i get 0 damage from all physical damage. i am badass. lol

i also had a team full of hydras and dragons and the guy that was in love with a dragon. and a team full of ninjas and the robot. such a great game!

found the strategy i used 10 years ago it seems, lol. http://www.gameinfor...sy-tactics.aspx

and found this like my frog trick i used to do and watch tv.
Wild Frogs!

First, get a wizard that knows frog. It's secondary skill should be Yin Yang Magic and should know Blind Rage. At the beginning of the battle, use frog on all the enemies, and then use frog on your units(except the wizard). Use Blind Rage on your units. When your entire team is Blind Raged, use the autofight "run like a rabbit" feature and sit back. After a few hours, and you should have won the battle, and gained a ton of experience and JP.

Velo214.png
sig.gif