Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:13 AM

Bestbuy DOTD

Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy [Extended Edition] $39.99
http://www.bestbuy.c...2015&id=2470150
"Evil is Funs"

#2 PublikDefender

PublikDefender

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:32 AM

Thanks. It doesn't mention the hobbit movie cash though. I was in my local best buy today and this set didn't have the movie cash even though it is supposed to.

I'd risk it if I didn't already order the Walmart theatrical trilogy with movie cash for $12.

#3 pun123

pun123

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:22 AM

wow, great deal just saw that, but already have the original set, tempting.
did grab journey 2 for 3.99 though.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Zerok

Zerok

Your face is drunk!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

Missed the Wal-Mart deal way back, not gonna miss this one. Been playing Lego Lord of the Rings so I've been itching to watch this.

#5 chunlirocks

chunlirocks

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

is this the version with the blue/green issues i've read about ?
Any1 know ?
Thanks
:joystick: CERTIFIED GRADE A VIDIOT:joystick:

IN MY CONSOLES - NOW PLAYING:
:ps3: BLAZBLUE and DEMON's SOULS
:360: MUSHIHIMESAMA FUTARI 1. 5
:ps2: EVERBLUE 2
:wii: METROID PRIME TRILOGY
:psp: Field Commander
:xbox: XYANIDE

#6 Zerok

Zerok

Your face is drunk!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

Any1 know ?
Thanks

Yes, it is. But I've heard some people say you can barely notice it.

#7 Mason202

Mason202

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

It's very noticeable. Once you see it, you can't unsee it.

http://screenshotcom...omparison/59621
Posted Image

#8 anderson4145

anderson4145

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

Any1 know ?
Thanks

It's not an issue, it's what the director intended the picture to look like. I'd leave it to personal preference.

#9 Bosamba

Bosamba

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

Bought this and :br: Alien Anthology today from Best Buy. Thanks OP.
:grouphug:

Wondering which platform to buy the game for? Use Mr. Slimm's Blog http://misterslimm.w...ce-off-results/

Interested in a PC game but not sure if your rig can run it? Go here http://www.systemreq...tslab.com/cyri/

#10 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

It's not an issue, it's what the director intended the picture to look like. I'd leave it to personal preference.

No it isn't. If he intended it to look like that then you'd see it in the Theatrical versions too. Not to mention the flashback scenes in ROTK show the proper color. If he intended it to look like that then those scenes would be altered too.

#11 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

Good deal, green tint doesn't bother me at all. But definitely drove the videophile types on Bluray.com and other sites nuts though.

So it just comes down to how much you notice color tints, how much you pay attention to picture quality etc.

#12 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

Just a heads-up, if you just want the extended movies discs only and none of the DVD extras discs, Target has exclusive editions of each for $10 with $5 Hobbit Movie cash.

They look like this (credit Blu-ray.com):

Posted Image

#13 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

Aren't the extras DVDs that come with the Blu Ray versions all identical to those from the actual DVD extended editions? In other words, if I have the Extended DVDs, would I be losing anything by buying those cheap Target discs?

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#14 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

I believe they're nearly identical to the extended DVD sets. I think they only added a set of documentaries from Costa Botes on the making of the movies, which was only available in a Limited edition DVD set.

#15 jcp42877

jcp42877

Semper Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Are you all SURE this is the one with the green tint?

I just got my set from Amazon's DOTD, and it was the latest released one, and the issue was fixed. Sooo....
Posted Image

#16 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

I haven't heard anything about the issue being fixed

#17 larrythefatcat

larrythefatcat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

I believe they're nearly identical to the extended DVD sets. I think they only added a set of documentaries from Costa Botes on the making of the movies, which was only available in a Limited edition DVD set.

This is exactly correct. For each film in the trilogy set there are five discs: two Blu-ray discs for each film, the two bonus DVDs from the original Extended Editions and the bonus disc from the Limited Edition release (the DVD version with both the theatrical and extended versions via seamless branching on a two-sided flipper) that only contain the documentaries... if you have the DVD EE you're only missing out on the Costa Botes documentaries.

AFAIK the "issue" was never fixed: it's just not incredibly noticeable... molehill=mountain to some videophiles. At least it's not riddled with incredibly ugly DNR.

#18 anderson4145

anderson4145

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

No it isn't. If he intended it to look like that then you'd see it in the Theatrical versions too. Not to mention the flashback scenes in ROTK show the proper color. If he intended it to look like that then those scenes would be altered too.

Yes it is "Both Peter Jackson and director of photography Andrew Lesnie have confirmed that the new color grade was intentional and was created under their supervision."
from http://www.blu-ray.c...-Blu-ray/19929/

#19 jcp42877

jcp42877

Semper Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

Wish someone would've told me about those Target exclusives before I paid $44 to amazon the other day :/ ....

Then again, the box art, case art, and everything else about this case is extremelyyyy nice.

I just know Ill probably never watch the special features, and I could've used that Hobbit cash
Posted Image

#20 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

Yes it is "Both Peter Jackson and director of photography Andrew Lesnie have confirmed that the new color grade was intentional and was created under their supervision."
from http://www.blu-ray.c...-Blu-ray/19929/

There is no official or direct word from Peter Jackson about approving the transfer. It's just marketing.

Again I ask, why weren't the flashbacks in ROTK showing scenes from FOTR also tinted green? Why was the color only altered for Fellowship? Why didn't Jackson alter these for the theatricals when we know he had a hands on with that release?

#21 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

Fellowship of the Ring Extended
Posted Image

Flashback from Return of the King Extended of the same shot

Posted Image

#22 sangredekrazy

sangredekrazy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

There is no official or direct word from Peter Jackson about approving the transfer. It's just marketing.

Again I ask, why weren't the flashbacks in ROTK showing scenes from FOTR also tinted green? Why was the color only altered for Fellowship? Why didn't Jackson alter these for the theatricals when we know he had a hands on with that release?

Does this just happen for a few scenes or is it continual? I hadn't heard of this previously.

#23 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

The entire movie was given a greenish/teal tint. It's not always as obvious in some scenes though. Also it's not as obvious if you're unaware of it, or without a side by side comparison.

With that said, the picture quality and level of detail is much better than what's found in the Motion Picture Blu version, they just tampered with the color timing for some reason, but left it alone for the last 2 movies.

#24 Jommy

Jommy

Cool Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

Anyone know if the BB one has the digital copy codes inside? The copy I got from Amazon didn't have the digital copies anywhere.

#25 strife01104

strife01104

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

amazon doing same deal 11/20 for 39.99. Noticed it in the amazon thread. but it's 4 hrs only 8:20am-12:20pm PST if i am right thats 11:20am -3:20pm EST time.

http://www.amazon.co...rd_i=1000853511

#26 gldoorii

gldoorii

What the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

Anyone know if the BB one has the digital copy codes inside? The copy I got from Amazon didn't have the digital copies anywhere.

I'd like to know as well. I read on Amazon's site that the codes expired back in June this year. Anyone buy the Best Buy box and get them?

#27 CGlade

CGlade

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

Amazon has the first two movies on blu ray for like $4/ea. But not the last one. These are on different days for lightning deals. You could also pick up last now for $10 at target and have the whole set for about $18. Little better than the box deal, without some of the extras, depending on what that are worth to you.

For my part, I think I'll wait for a non-green tint version.

#28 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

Those are for the theatrical versions though, not the extended

#29 Kerig

Kerig

Brown Thursday = $149 Zelda 3DSXL!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

Greatest review I've ever read on the subject of the color issues:

http://www.amazon.co...#wasThisHelpful

I'm mighty tempted to buy the $10 Target BDs to complement my extended DVD trilogy in a fancy box.

:3ds: 1607-3007-9618

cag%20kerig.png

#30 Jommy

Jommy

Cool Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

Those are for the theatrical versions though, not the extended

Actually they are the extended versions. Says it right in the title of the item.