• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083Q04IQ

Use code FIREDEAL at checkout; limit one discount per customer.

Yes, it plays games.

#2 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

Yes, it plays games.

Free ones, daily! I got mine last BF. I've loved all it can do. And the size is just perfect for holding to watch a movie. Any bigger and I think it'd tire out my arms quickly.

#3 Sairou

Sairou

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

No SD card slot? D:

#4 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

No SD card slot? D:

It's actually not that big of a deal. The games that are large enough to need more space can't be played on it anyway... :) My only complaint is that apps have their own section of the storage. So it fills up even though there's open space in the books and movies side. I've got 11 games installed on mine right now and I've only used 3/4 of the available space.

That being said if you're looking to play high end tablet games this isn't the device for you... if angry birds and simple games like those are what you're looking for this is a great price.

#5 stickyfeet

stickyfeet

Don't panic!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

Yes, it plays games.

Also great for n Netflix and hbo go. Just gotta watch data usage went thru 6 gb in 2 days watching movies while on a car trip.

#6 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

No SD card slot? D:

and Neither does the ipad or Nexus 7/10. SD card isn't a standard feature.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#7 Fresh8142

Fresh8142

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

wow that's a pretty nice deal. I bought one last year for my wife and she is addicted to the thing... Which is good since it allows me more time to game

Edit: The no SD card slot isn't really an issue, it comes with cloud storage and has enough internal memory to store plenty of books, music, and apps

#8 Mugatu

Mugatu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

and Neither does the ipad or Nexus 7/10. SD card isn't a standard feature.

On Android it generally is. No reason to get defensive, he just asked a question and the answer is no.

#9 Darkon_X

Darkon_X

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

I just bought the 8gb last week for $129 and I"m relaly happy with it.

Pros:
-Inexpensive
-Change the brightness at any time
-Crapton of movies available if you have prime (Netflix+Crackle+Hulu+HBO GO at no extra cost if you are subscribed to those services)
-Seems to fit in just about any pocket
-Internet browser is surprisingly good, just as functional as a PC browser.
-5gb cloud storage through amazon services
-The device is 'open' for the most part, you don't have to install extra software to import movies or pictures into the device, simply plug and play.

Cons:
-Lack of support from 3rd party developers (no google apps, no microsoft apps)
-Advertising on the lock screen (you have to pay an extra $15 if you don't want the advertising)
-The book reading voice thing thing is 'hit or miss', but I don't read books so I don't care.
-Won't charge through just about any USB port. You can charge it through your PC but it'll give you a message saying it's not optimal and won't charge if you use it, instead you have to buy their proprietary wall charger if you want it to charge at a normal pace.
-No HD support, even at 7'' movies can look a bit blurry.

#10 SkiLLs7984

SkiLLs7984

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

My wife was wanting one of these but I have absolutely ZERO idea on how to price them or which one I should go for. =/

#11 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

wow that's a pretty nice deal. I bought one last year for my wife and she is addicted to the thing... Which is good since it allows me more time to game

:lol::applause:

#12 orangecrush

orangecrush

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

On Android it generally is. No reason to get defensive, he just asked a question and the answer is no.

Except on the flagship devices Google sells.

#13 z3razerviper

z3razerviper

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

I wont give up my nexus 7 however if you want a tablet for the kids the fire at this price is much better than getting them a crappy leapad.

#14 HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

Can it read books and shit like a regular Kindle? A family member of mine wants it regular Kindle to read books, but if I can upgrade it to this it would be better.

Posted Image

#15 johntigger

johntigger

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

I agree, its really not that big of a deal. Like you said the games for the kindle are pretty small. Plus if an sd card is really needed I believe you can get an addition 8gb for about $10

It's actually not that big of a deal. The games that are large enough to need more space can't be played on it anyway... :) My only complaint is that apps have their own section of the storage. So it fills up even though there's open space in the books and movies side. I've got 11 games installed on mine right now and I've only used 3/4 of the available space.Posted Image

That being said if you're looking to play high end tablet games this isn't the device for you... if angry birds and simple games like those are what you're looking for this is a great price.

Edited by johntigger, 26 November 2012 - 04:15 PM.

#16 mewman13

mewman13

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

It's actually not that big of a deal. The games that are large enough to need more space can't be played on it anyway... :) My only complaint is that apps have their own section of the storage. So it fills up even though there's open space in the books and movies side. I've got 11 games installed on mine right now and I've only used 3/4 of the available space.

This is my number 1 complaint. 8GB storage is pre-partitioned into something like 1.2GB for apps (read: games) and and the rest for videos/music/etc. While it's true that Angry Birds only takes up 30MB, look at some of the Humble Bundle games. Zenbound 2 is 180MB, Anomaly HD is 160MB. Chaos Rings is something like 800MB, I think.

You must also root the device in order to access the Google Play Store to get android apps, or else you are locked into the amazon store.

So don't go into it expecting a full gaming tablet or you will be sorely disappointed. That being said, I like it for what it is, and I primarily read books and browse internet (Dolphin browser, not the default browser).

Can it read books and shit like a regular Kindle? A family member of mine wants it regular Kindle to read books, but if I can upgrade it to this it would be better.

Yes it can, but be aware that the screen is different from the other Kindle models. I think it is backlit, so there is glare in sunlight, but will perform well in the dark whereas other kindles need a flashlight to read in the dark.

#17 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

I almost forgot to mention this...

AmazonLocal is offering a free voucher to get 30% off Select Kindle Accessories ($30 maximum).

http://local.amazon....eals/B00AB25HMS

#18 nillarilla

nillarilla

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

bought one for mom.... perfect christmas gift at an amazing price

#19 nillarilla

nillarilla

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

AmazonLocal is offering a free voucher to get 30% off Select Kindle Accessories ($30 maximum).

#20 orangecrush

orangecrush

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

Yes, it is pretty good for that (though not as good as the paper white).

#21 Investor9872

Investor9872

CAG Supremo!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

My wife and I stopped by a local Apple store over the weekend to checkout the Retina Ipad when we saw the Ipad Mini. That thing feels like its 4x lighter than the Retina Ipad. I really thought that the Mini was going to be my first Mac product until I read the specs (2011 A5 chip and non-Retina display). This world is just so cruel. I'm going to have to look into other tablet options.

By the way, does anyone know if the Apple tablets will work on any existing wireless router, or are they so picky and only work with their proprietary Apple wireless router?
<p>Gamefly PS3 chipped discs. Click on more pictures below to enlarge them.
Investor9872.png

#22 mewman13

mewman13

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

By the way, does anyone know if the Apple tablets will work on any existing wireless router, or are they so picky and only work with their proprietary Apple wireless router?

Yes, any wireless router should be fine.

#23 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

My wife and I stopped by a local Apple store over the weekend to checkout the Retina Ipad when we saw the Ipad Mini. That thing feels like its 4x lighter than the Retina Ipad. I really thought that the Mini was going to be my first Mac product until I read the specs (2011 A5 chip and non-Retina display). This world is just so cruel. I'm going to have to look into other tablet options.

Google Nexus 7.

Formerly known as slickkill77

#24 comaknight

comaknight

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

Thanks!

#25 m3talst0rm

m3talst0rm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

If you're looking for cheaper, cowboom.com has the Kindle Fire (Pre-Owned) for 89.99 + 5 shipping today.

m3talst0rm17.png

#26 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

Yes, it is pretty good for that (though not as good as the paper white).

I actually managed to adjust the color and text font until I enjoy it much more than the paper white. I read a lot in low-light or dark areas and being able to have white text on a black background has gone a long way to curb my eye strain. This might also be an option on the paper white but I didn't spend enough time with it to know (was borrowing a friends for the day).

#27 kilik64

kilik64

Carefree, Wherever We May Be

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

I actually managed to adjust the color and text font until I enjoy it much more than the paper white. I read a lot in low-light or dark areas and being able to have white text on a black background has gone a long way to curb my eye strain. This might also be an option on the paper white but I didn't spend enough time with it to know (was borrowing a friends for the day).

Its not. Paper white is just a e ink screen with a backlight.

e ink is the BEST for reading. Normal kindles with e ink screen still cant be beat for simply reading books.

rcerboss bet his CAG card and lost, and now wont leave. 

http://www.cheapassg...te-september-9/

#28 VA

VA

Do my nipples frighten you?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

The fire is a piece of crap IMHO. I got one for my birthday and found it unusable. After struggling with it nonstop, I gave it to the wife.

#29 flybrione

flybrione

Guitar Solo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

Bought one as a gift for my Mom and used the 30% off coupon to get a case for $7.59.
This should be perfect for her.

#30 Kaiselius

Kaiselius

Serial Self-Molester

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

How well does the fire handle image intensive homemade pdfs?
I still occasionally play DnD with my friends, but I'm getting kind of sick of hauling 20-30 pounds of books to the sessions.
Also, do you HAVE to have wifi/3g, or can you put content onto it via usb?