3DS XL worth the upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

I'm considering moving from my original 3DS to an XL...is it worth the upgrade? Pros? Any Cons?

jkam2.png

Quitter (My Band)    -    Trade List    -    Join Bing Rewards

#2 jojoschump2000

jojoschump2000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:36 AM

Upgraded from 3ds to 3ds xl and love it. Biggest plus for me: It is much more comfy for my hands, they don't cramp up like they did on the smaller one. Having larger screens has been a plus as well, even though you sometimes see some extra pixelation with the larger screen. If you do play the 3ds, I would say it is worth the upgrade.

#3 ctrek3

ctrek3

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

i never had the first 3ds, but i just bought the xl the week before black friday, when best buy had it for 180, and its a blast, i love it, i would say if you have the cash go for it the screen size is awesome, one of the best purchases i've made in a while, the only con i can think of jojo already mentioned, the little bit of pixelation.
Posted Image

#4 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

I like my 3DS XL except for one thing. The sound. It's extremely low, even at full. It's almost hard to hear.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#5 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

I like my 3DS XL except for one thing. The sound. It's extremely low, even at full. It's almost hard to hear.

It's not the console, it's just called getting old. =P

Spoiler

#6 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

Upgraded from 3ds to 3ds xl and love it. Biggest plus for me: It is much more comfy for my hands, they don't cramp up like they did on the smaller one. Having larger screens has been a plus as well, even though you sometimes see some extra pixelation with the larger screen. If you do play the 3ds, I would say it is worth the upgrade.

Same - I agree with all of this.

I rarely play without the headphones so this is a non-issue for me but I do think the sound could have been a little louder.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#7 Goodeye

Goodeye

Resident Halo nerd

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:06 AM

I say its worth it. The screen alone was a night and day difference for me.

Sent from my White Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express
[FONT="]Posted ImagePosted Image

[/FONT]

#8 junghu

junghu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

no regret.............just upgraded from my like-new 3DS to 3DS XL ^__^

#9 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

I also didn't have the original 3DS, I just got the XL when Kmart had that $40 coupon with it, but it's an excellent piece of hardware. I haven't used a portable system this much in years, esp since I got an iPhone, but I love the larger screens.

Only problems I would say are that the sound is a tad low when using speakers (Using headphones negates this problem), and that some original DS games that are sprite based, like Chrono Trigger DS, look a little too blurry on the XL (But you can play in the original resolution if you want, so that's not a major issue either.)
Posted Image

#10 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:53 AM

I say check your local target or wherever for a demo. I tried one and it's more comfortable, has better buttons, but new super mario looked washed out, and it's even less travel-compatible than the 3DS.

#11 Rocko

Rocko

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:00 AM

I love the matte... if there's a deal on the XL after the holidays I want to unload my launch 3DS in favor of it, I know Animal Crossing will bring me together with my 3DS for hours.

#12 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:12 AM

The XL absolutely trumps the original (I've had both and I love my XL).

Like others have mentioned, the one thing that the original does better is in the speakers department (the sound from the XL speakers is quite low). Although this is remedied if you use headphones.

-better buttons
-better battery life
-smudge-free matte finish
-less glare
-bigger screens.

The last pro is the biggest pro for me. You can play games at a distance comfortably with your hands resting in your lap (like you do with a console controller).

For me, the XL transforms the 3DS from "simple handheld" status to "console-like experience" status.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#13 Clan Mc

Clan Mc

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:15 AM

Absolutely! Didn't get the original (waited for 2nd stick, new form factor), but Adventure Time: Hey, Ice King...finally made me bite (I'd been sitting on a TON os GS credit). So far I'm loving it. Went in for Resident Evil, Mario Land 3D & Mario Kart 7 with BB's B2G1F. The only drawback so far is the lack of a decent case for it that's not the size of a backpack. With it going for $159.99 at Best Buy on the 9th, you've got no excuse. DO IT!

#14 jojoschump2000

jojoschump2000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

Decent 3ds case: I am using the HORI hard pouch for the 3DS XL. Not as big as some of the Backpack cases you mentioned.

Edited by jojoschump2000, 07 December 2012 - 07:06 PM.
Spell check changed word.

#15 aaronrodgers

aaronrodgers

Yo...Siggy, Phido!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Upgrade with no regrets! Virtue's Last Reward is awesome on it.

95438.png

LT1B2oV.png

#16 QiG

QiG

I'm all out of gum..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

Yes
Posted Image

#17 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:24 AM

GS is offerring double the TIV for your any handheld towards the purchase of a new handheld. that's $90 TIV for your 3DS towards the 3DS XL. It includes bundles as well, so $199 for the blue/red + Mario Kart 3DS is valid.

it's finally time to bite.

I might get the pink/white one coming out next week for $159.99 w/my trade in. Hopefully they can do the memory and game transfers at the store.

#18 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

GS is offerring double the TIV for your any handheld towards the purchase of a new handheld. that's $90 TIV for your 3DS towards the 3DS XL. It includes bundles as well, so $199 for the blue/red + Mario Kart 3DS is valid.

Pretty disgusting that they normally only offer $45 for a 3DS. Oh well, Gamestop will hopefully be out of business in 5 years and I won't have to deal with them anymore.
Posted Image

#19 lilboo

lilboo

Not addicted to WoW

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

It seems worth it. I've handled one at Target and it just feels and looks really nice. I don't even have a 3DS. Just a DSi still, :(

I want the midnight purple but as a 3DS XL :(

Now Playing:
:pc: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

:pc: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

:wiiu: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

:3ds: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

:3ds: Pokemon Battle Trozei

#20 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

Pretty disgusting that they normally only offer $45 for a 3DS. Oh well, Gamestop will hopefully be out of business in 5 years and I won't have to deal with them anymore.

i totally ordered from Best Buy instead, after the math the extra $45 TIV for my 3DS equates to basically the same thing as BB taking $40 off the top of all their 3DS handhelds. Now to get a superman sticker to put on my blue case. Hopefully transferring content will be a breeze then I'll sell my minty black 3DS for more than $45 on CL.

I don't hate GS enough to boycott them as they do have some good TIV, but the TIV for the 3DS I must agree is pretty disgusting.

#21 skubish

skubish

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

I like the XL much better than the regular 3DS. 3 Reasons: the size, little better battery, the screen.
Posted Image

Posted Image

3DS Friend Code: 2406 5141 9292

#22 jbuck138

jbuck138

Wario for President!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

Ok, I'm chiming in with my .02 I upgraded to a 3dsXL and love it so far. Transfer was smooth but time consuming. I did the transfer while grilling. I love the bigger screens and feel of the larger console in my hands. I can tell a difference in volume level, but feel the sound is still plenty loud. Well worth the upgrade. I gave my daughter my 3ds.

#23 Bosamba

Bosamba

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:41 AM

I must be in the minority here, but my hands hurt after using my 3ds XL for the first time today. I'm using Nerf Armor which I thought might be the problem, but when I took it off it didn't alleviate the problem.

Is this a good product for what I"m looking for? http://www.amazon.co...=I18ZTYYNM7P4R7

If it helps in giving you an idea of my hand dimensions, I was a fan of the original "Duke" Xbox controller and found it fit me perfectly.
:grouphug:

Wondering which platform to buy the game for? Use Mr. Slimm's Blog http://misterslimm.w...ce-off-results/

Interested in a PC game but not sure if your rig can run it? Go here http://www.systemreq...tslab.com/cyri/

#24 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

So I have upgraded (the transfer process was PAINFUL) and the thing I like most about the 3DS XL is it's more like a DS Lite or DSi. The stylus is where it should be, no weird loose top screen, or bulge (raised cover) on the bottom screen. I'm not crazy about the device size but having those big screens kind of makes me forget. Overall satisfied with the decision to upgrade. I also got $122 from Amazon as a trade in so that helps too :)

jkam2.png

#25 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

hey when you traded in your 3DS to amazon did you have to include the SD card to get full value? I just printed my label for like new, as I still have the original packaging and charging dock etc.

#26 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

hey when you traded in your 3DS to amazon did you have to include the SD card to get full value? I just printed my label for like new, as I still have the original packaging and charging dock etc.

I included it since the XL came with a 4GB and the original came with the 2 but I could see them overlooking that since they have to open the system to see if it's in there. Probably not worth taking a chance though.

jkam2.png

#27 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

I included it since the XL came with a 4GB and the original came with the 2 but I could see them overlooking that since they have to open the system to see if it's in there. Probably not worth taking a chance though.

yeah, that's what i figured. thanks for the quick response.

#28 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:00 AM

I'm going to keep my AR cards though. I doubt they'll dock me for not including that.

#29 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

I'm buying my first 3DS soon but am torn between the original and the XL. I like the buttons, matte finish, and form factor of the XL, and the screen brightness, clarity, and overall size of the original.

Pixelation is a huge concern for me since many of the games I liked on the DS use a fair amount of 2D art, and some of these same types of games are coming to 3DS. For instance, one of the first games I'll be getting is Etrian Odyssey IV, which uses a lot of crisply-drawn 2D character art. I probably won't play any original DS games on whatever 3DS I get, so that's not a problem.

Any advice is appreciated :)
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#30 007

Areaologist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

I'm buying my first 3DS soon but am torn between the original and the XL. I like the buttons, matte finish, and form factor of the XL, and the screen brightness, clarity, and overall size of the original.

Pixelation is a huge concern for me since many of the games I liked on the DS use a fair amount of 2D art, and some of these same types of games are coming to 3DS. For instance, one of the first games I'll be getting is Etrian Odyssey IV, which uses a lot of crisply-drawn 2D character art. I probably won't play any original DS games on whatever 3DS I get, so that's not a problem.

Any advice is appreciated :)

Honestly, the XL is the way to go. In terms of graphics, I was someone who actually didn't like the DSi XL because of the pixelation, but I have zero problems with my move from the regular 3DS to the XL. There is a slightly lesser lack of 'sharpness', as it were, but it's not enough to outweigh all of the other benefits of the XL.

Outside of the lesser speakers (which, really, I haven't had an issue with), there's almost no reason to not go with the XL. I don't even find it to be less portable.

Anyway, just my opinion... but if you're taking the 3DS plunge, the XL is the one to pick up. I really don't feel like it's hyperbole to say that the XL feels like what the 3DS always should have been. Even after only a month of XL use, my old 3DS feels so antiquated that it's not even funny.