Photo
- - - - -

Biggest Disappointments of this Console Generation

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 Duck in a Pond

Duck in a Pond

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

What was the one thing you were most disappointed with during this console generation. For example, mine is the fact that I have not been able to pilot an X wing yet on console. It has to be the first generation that can say that. For the next gen, bring on more classic star wars games!

#2 Nico8912

Nico8912

Claptrap's Minion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

My Xbox 360 breaking 6 times in the course of the first 5 years of it's life cycle.

#3 VyseArcad1a

VyseArcad1a

New Mirror's Edge?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

I can think of quite a few. The Wii is the first one that immediately comes to mind. Medal of Honor being the second.

47206.png
Currently Playing:
:ps3: Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, Earth Defense Force 2025, South Park: The Stick of Truth
:3ds: Rhythm Thief, Animal Crossing: New Leaf
:psp: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, DJ Max Technika Tune, Rayman Origins

#4 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

Xbox 360 HD DVD experiment
Xbox 360 DVD drive
The Wii after the fun of WiiSports ended
PS Move

#5 MushaOne

MushaOne

etc. and so forth...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

Motion control gaming being shoved down our throats. Its a novelty that wears off very quickly. I wish they would let that die before the next gen comes but it seems unlikely.

#6 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

The lack of quality JRPGs.
Posted Image

#7 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

The Wii. Specifically, not being able to play certain awesome games with a regular old controller. Also, the graphics and the online experience.

My other major disappointment is not having enough time to play everything I wanted to play this generation.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#8 CaptainJoel

CaptainJoel

Church of Falcon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

Not having more games that I felt like I couldn't live without. Last generation there was just so many games that I felt like really changed things for me (either for my outlook on life or just my outlook on gameplay) and I'd replay them countless times and each hour felt well-spent. I can honestly only think of maybe two games like that in the gen (Dead Rising and Mass Effect) and that's disappointing to me. Then again, I do feel like the single player experience has become more backseat this gen, so I suppose I traded those amazing single player experiences I loved so much last gen for all of the online multiplayer fun I've had this gen.

#9 defpally

defpally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

The Wii. Specifically, not being able to play certain awesome games with a regular old controller. Also, the graphics and the online experience.

I don't think the Wii was a disappointment in itself. But, I double the controller comment. Dammit, I hope the Pro Controller is a cue they got the hint. Some games I just want to play the old fashioned way and not with some shoehorned, imprecise motion control. Twilight Princess I actually considered finding a used Gamecube copy just for this. And Mario Galaxy 2, one of the later levels with some sick wall jumps REALLY needs a button instead of a waggle to spin.

Great games, but let me play the way I want to play. It is fine to give the option (like in Punch Out!!! or Mario Kart) to have some fun with it, but give us a way to play regularly.

#10 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

The biggest disappointment is that it's still here. This has resulted in stagnation in video game technology. Some of the recent games that have been released do not feel as if they should be running on current hardware, such as Assassin's Creed III.

#11 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

I was not disappointed in the Wii system or games, although there are some franchises I wanted to see make an appearance that didn't.

For me the biggest disappointment was the lost promise (or should I say "false promise") of the Virtual Console. That had so much potential, and it seems Nintendo never truly embraced it.

#12 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

I do think they dropped the ball in that there wasn't anything that was a must have that could only run on the Wii or be played with the Wiimote. The older games running on emulators that they are pushing are useless and an annoying cash-grab, IMO.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#13 Abear21

Abear21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

1. Madden. Why was football so much more fun a gen ago?

2. 3rd party devs failing to optimize their games to run on PS3/Sony making the PS3 so difficult to work with.

3. Getting nickle and dimed with DLC not worth the asking price.

#14 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

Wii.

Big Nintendo fan until this gen. Just couldn't stomache no HD and hate motion controls.

Still had some great games like Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, a couple good Zelda's etc., but easily my least played console this gen and no way I'll buy a Wii U.

#15 eLefAdEr

eLefAdEr

All Systems Go

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

My Xbox 360 breaking 6 times in the course of the first 5 years of it's life cycle.

I had a nearly identical experience and I take good care of my electronics.

#16 j-cart

j-cart

PAPER TRAILS on a mountain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

Pre-orders and hardware failures.

I take care of my shit. Simple play does not equate to hardware failure. This is why it is PC game from here on out for me.

#17 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

Mass effect3

#18 dumlaox

dumlaox

Eat, Work, Game, Sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

I was not disappointed in the Wii system or games, although there are some franchises I wanted to see make an appearance that didn't.

For me the biggest disappointment was the lost promise (or should I say "false promise") of the Virtual Console. That had so much potential, and it seems Nintendo never truly embraced it.

I second that. The VC alone would have justified the purchase of the Wii just so most people could play those classics on their new TVs without resorting to emulation or dealing with the classic hardware incompatibilities. The fact that the VC output for the Wii this year didn't even count as a trickle was heartbreaking, a sentiment that is amplified by the fact that there were plenty of games on each console that could have/should have been available to us by now.

14610.png

#19 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Diablo 3

#20 SolidSnake86

SolidSnake86

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

Biggest dissapointment? Lack of good Gundam games in the U.S.

I just don't dig the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games. The last time I played a decent Gundam game was Encounters in Space for the PS2, which I'm currently replaying just to get my fix. Sieg Zeon, indeed.

#21 bkruz11

bkruz11

CAG in Training

• CAG Veteran

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

No open world 3D Pokemon game for the Wii. I knew it was a long shot and probably was never gonna happen but damn how I wanted it.

#22 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

DLC and console marketplaces in general.

I wouldn't even have a major problem with DLC and downloadable games (On consoles), if prices dropped over time, like regular markets. As it stands now, if I want DLC for, say, Mass Effect, it's still full price despite the game being released 5 years ago. Or if I want an older XBLA game like Rez HD, it's still the same goddamn price as day 1. Pretty bullshit if you ask me.
Posted Image

#23 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

I guess... the overall trajectories of Blizzard and Bioware?

I kinda feel like I'm cheating with that answer simply because of how god damn big an answer that is.

Posted Image

#24 Drizzt

Drizzt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

The fact that CoD, Battlefield, and Medal of Honor type FPS games with experience point systems are still so popular. Sorry, I'm an old school Unreal Tournament player. We never needed experience points as a reason to keep playing that game. We played for fun.

#25 buffdrew84

buffdrew84

Used PSI Cheapness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:33 AM

Not enough original IP's. Probably like this with every generation but I feel like everything that comes out is like the 7373726 iteration of call of duty

Grizzly Bear says

"Mo Honey Mo Problems"

Tradelist:

http://cheapassgamer...ad.php?t=151559

#26 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

Yay. I get to be the first to mention Lair and Haze. Two formerly amazing developers – where did it all go wrong? :cry:

#27 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

The fact that game development budgets for your average on-disk retail release have gotten so astronomically high that cool, risky games on consoles are a rarity. This is why we have so many sequels, and also why most new JRPGs are released on handhelds. Thank goodness indie games blew up when they did.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#28 Nick45

Nick45

Waiting for Persona 5!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:12 AM

For me, I would say the fact that multiplayer is taking over (I rarely touch multiplayer, with a few exceptions) and they keep taking away from the story. I would take a high quality story with enjoyable gameplay (Uncharted, Assassin's Creed 2, etc.) over a top notch multiplayer experience any day. Also, download only games. I much prefer having a disk.

#29 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:29 AM

Two disk Xbox 360 games

Repetitive sequels very single year... Assassins Creed, Call of Duty etc.

3-4 hour single player games with multiplayer

#30 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:48 AM

1. SquareEnix and JRPGs in general.

2. Diminished quality control standards in the industry. It never ceases to amaze me that a brand new AAA title requires you to download a patch/update prior to playing it.

3. Not having enough time to play all my games.

Edited by kill3r7, 04 December 2012 - 03:20 AM.