Is it time for a new PS3?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shadylane

shadylane

Believe...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:55 AM

I've had a 60gb fat ps3 since launch and just recently in the last year, I've been experiencing a lot of freezing. I'm currently playing Deus Ex and I can barely get passed the start menu without it freezing on me. Is it time? I want to hold off until the PS4 since I'm hoping that will have backwards compatibility. I truly hate the design on the last PS3 iteration btw. Where can I get the slim model before the last?

Shadylane310.png

33836.png

#2 mrcheeses

mrcheeses

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:57 AM

My last ps3 kept freezing and got YLOD a week later.

#3 PancakesAreLove

PancakesAreLove

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

I've had a 60gb fat ps3 since launch and just recently in the last year, I've been experiencing a lot of freezing. I'm currently playing Deus Ex and I can barely get passed the start menu without it freezing on me. Is it time? I want to hold off until the PS4 since I'm hoping that will have backwards compatibility. I truly hate the design on the last PS3 iteration btw. Where can I get the slim model before the last?

I think the previous slim model is still for sale everywhere. If you don't mind used, you can find tons of sub $200 ps3s on amazon warehouse or you could try Gamestop, I think they might have a promotion when you trade in your old ps3.

New Years backlog completed: 14/100

EIPsyCongroo.png

#4 shadylane

shadylane

Believe...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

This has been ongoing for a year!

Shadylane310.png

33836.png

#5 shadylane

shadylane

Believe...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:01 AM

I think the previous slim model is still for sale everywhere. If you don't mind used, you can find tons of sub $200 ps3s on amazon warehouse or you could try Gamestop, I think they might have a promotion when you trade in your old ps3.

Nice I'll check that option out

Shadylane310.png

33836.png

#6 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:15 AM

If you want to keep it around for the PS2 BC, you might wanna try to replace the thermal compound on the CPU/GPU or try replacing the power supply. I have the semi-BC 80GB PS3 (the MGS4 bundle). I first opened my PS3 to replace the grease and it took about 4-5 hours. I opened it again to replace the power supply, and it took about 2 hours (this is much easier to do).

There was nothing wrong with my PS3, but I wanted to keep it going as long as possible. After doing these two things, I noticed that PS3's fans don't go to the higher speeds as fast (before, 30-60 minutes would result in the 3rd level fan speed, now I can game for 2 hours before the 3rd level fans).

If it's not a big deal to you, then I'd dump it. It lasted a really long time and had a good run. I think GS still offers some nice promos for BC PS3s.

Currently playing:
:ps3: God of War: Ascension - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#7 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:04 AM

PS4 will not have backwards compatibility. There's just no way from a technological standpoint (this is my opinion and according to reports)
Best to invest in a new PS3 if you want PS3 games.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Posted Image

#8 AzGoat

AzGoat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

I say back it up and send it into Sony and get a refurbished 60gb for 130 or a refurbished 160gb slim for 100. No need to get a new one with the ps4 coming out next year.