2013 Thrift Store Thread

• Please log in to reply
1463 replies to this topic

#1 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

I figured I kick off the new year with a new thread.

I'll try to update the top with particularly great finds and tips and tricks.

#1: Don't get discouraged! Keep looking and eventually you will find the good stuff.

#2: Branch out! Look for other thrifts to go to. http://www.thethriftshopper.com/ is a good source for finding new thriifts. I've had some luck with google places and yelp also.

#3: Branch out more! If you are looking for flips, try to learn about other items that may be worth reselling (see peep with his cameras and lenses). If you aren't looking for flips, try looking at clothes or kitchen items for yourself or family.

Edited by yourlefthand, 28 January 2013 - 03:19 PM.

#2 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

I'll post my last find here: Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Saga (in jewelcase) for $1 and Creative Audigy 2 ZS notebook edition brand new for $10.

#3 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Reposting here, since it was technically this year:

Hit Goodwill for day one of the new year and had a decent day. I found a TON of plush, new with tags, most of which should sell pretty quickly. I also found a near mint copy of The Hobbit (the original animated film) on DVD. Cheapest price on Amazon is $35, and it should sell fairly quick. The only thing that sucks is my GW raised their DVDs back up to $3.

I also picked up Ghost Hunters Season One and an odd copy of Ghost in the Shell DVD. The case is clear and the insert is the double-sided white hair version, and the disc itself is region free. It looks way too good to be pirated, but maybe an import or something.

Spoiler

Added a second pic showing the disc and inside of the case:

Spoiler

Edit: The only thing I found that is troubling is the word "Boardcasting"

Edited by sp00ge, 02 January 2013 - 04:47 PM.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

Make your pledge today towards this years Extra-Life Charity 24-Hour Marathon!  All donations over $25 will receive a free 3d-printed and hand painted gift!  PM me for details!  http://www.extra-lif...nt/brokenpinata  JUST ADDED:  A progressive raffle!  The more donations received, the more prizes that are added! Check out my Twitch page for info! 

#4 Seraphinianus

Seraphinianus

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

isn't that GITS: Innocence?

#5 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

isn't that GITS: Innocence?

Nope, it's the original GITS. I watched it last night.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

Make your pledge today towards this years Extra-Life Charity 24-Hour Marathon!  All donations over $25 will receive a free 3d-printed and hand painted gift!  PM me for details!  http://www.extra-lif...nt/brokenpinata  JUST ADDED:  A progressive raffle!  The more donations received, the more prizes that are added! Check out my Twitch page for info! 

#6 faa8146

faa8146

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Finishing up my mini-adventure from the last thread:

Went to Goodwill when they opened at 9 this morning. Pokémon was gone, but Fire Emblem was still there. $5, disc & case only, no manual.

Spoiler

#7 RedRingOfDeath

RedRingOfDeath

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Was on my local round of thrifting yesterday. Picked up Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Collectors Edition w/Gold Cart) at the value village - complete in the box for $20. Looked it up on ebay with my phone just before buying it and the cheapest complete copy on ebay is going for around $70 to $80. This should definitely sell fast.

...pics or it didnt happen, right?

Posted Image

...did I mention that the cartridge was in excellent shape? And the manual was not bad either. The box is a little bent on one side, but such is life. Cant complain in the least for $20. :D <- happy me.

I also got a mini arcade from 1981 of Frogger (small green arcade) by Sega at the value village (missing battery cover though)...the same store that last week I got 2 copies of Windows 7 (ultimate and pro) complete retail for $5 each (made a quick $200 flip on those). The value village here is awesome and they dont price gouge like the GW. I still go to the GW, but you can only find deals on stuff that they dont look up online like some electronics like graphing calcs, movies/CDs/DVDs, and stuffed animals/toys (I scored 4 TI-83+ graphing calcs at the GW for $10/each and sold all of them for $40/ea on craigslist). ;)

I know many of the GW employees around my area and they freely admit that they look most things up online in order to price them to get as much $$ as possible.

I know the muffin man!

#8 Monoxide1986

Monoxide1986

Recovering Flipper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

I also found a near mint copy of The Hobbit (the original animated film) on DVD. Cheapest price on Amazon is $35, and it should sell fairly quick.

Thanks for this bit of information. I have a copy I inherited from my father-in-law that I thought was trash. Might have to dig it out and sell it while all this Hobbit craze is going on.

#9 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Nothing big for me last weekend, I did pick up :ps2: Kingdom Hearts 2, black label for $2.50, never got around to playing any of the games from the series, and I heard this is a good enough place to start (though I'm sure I'm going to miss out on a few things).

#10 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

I an jealous of your store's ability to get in video games. My local thrift store only has disc-based games and most of them are either old sports games, DDR games, or old Player's Choice/Greatest Hits titles.

#11 lude21

lude21

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:04 AM

Grabbed today - $1.99 each

Pokemon sapphire gba
Donkey kong country gba

The guy brought these out of the back for me, he also said he had a Mario smash melee GC CIB in the back but he couldn't find it :( hopefully tomorrow. It pays to make friends with the employees. Pretty cool guy though, I gave him a snes power adapter today cuz he needed one for his system.

Oh and in case anyone missed it, the other day I grabbed The Cirque Du Soliel 12 disc collection for $1.99!!! Flips for around $150 :)

#12 evuong

evuong

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

Recent finds:

Pelican universal arcade stick for ps2/xbox/gamecube - $7
Posted Image

And all of these for $3 each
Posted Image

Also picked up for the gameboy:
Kid Icarus - $2

#13 Dark Lord Greg

Dark Lord Greg

The Urban Legend

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

man you guys get all the good stuff all my thrift stores have garbage around here and the only store that does get good games sells them pretty much at ebay prices

Dark+Lord+Greg.png

#14 RedRingOfDeath

RedRingOfDeath

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

man you guys get all the good stuff all my thrift stores have garbage around here and the only store that does get good games sells them pretty much at ebay prices

I go thrifting every day after work. That is the only way to get the deals...go every day, or almost every day. In the last month (from what I can remember anyway), I have gotten at least 5 Gameboy Advance SPs (usually pay around $10 each for them and sell them for almost $40 each) 3 Gameboy Advances, 5 NES games complete in the boxes with EVERYTHING (mint too), a bunch of Genesis, NES, SNES, Gameboy, and N64 games (too many to recall and list). Also got 5 copies of Windows (2 copies of Win7 and 3 of Vista - one was the Vista Product RED edition so I got more for that one). A couple copies of Microsoft Office (2007 and 2003 - sold both). A Dreamcast complete. 2 N64s complete. A gamecube complete. A modded Xbox 1. A clear, see-thru original Gameboy. 4 Gameboy colors. 1 Gameboy Pocket with matching camera. A kinect pretty-much NIB. Many GJ Joe & Ninja Turtles action figures. A complete set of Pokemon KFC special edition plushes. 14 or 15 Nintendo Wii Games. 5 Texas Instruments graphing calculators (4 TI-83+'s in 1 day, and a TI89 Titanium a week prior). 2 complete sets of Tiger Laser Tag guns with glasses (sold for $60 for each pair). A Sega Genesis 3 console (the mini Sega console). A Sega Nomad portable console. A PSOne console complete with both controllers and all cords. A PS2 slim console w/all cords and HD component AV cable. A vintage Texas Instruments Speak & Spell from 1983 complete in the box, as well as a Texas Instruments Speak & Read from 1980 in great shape. Many NERF guns & accessories - too many to count (over 20). Some Xbox 360 games. Some PS3 games. A metal detector I sold for $100 (paid $15). An Xbox 360 phat model I sold for $80 (paid $10 because they said it was RRoD'ed but it worked perfect - they probably turned it on and tested it without the AV cord in it probably...) Many HDMI cables. Seasons 1 - 11 of South Park on DVD in excellent shape. A couple seasons of Reno 911 on DVD. A couple seasons of Chapelle's Show on DVD. A stand-alone DVD duplicator tower with 4 Plextor drives in it. A Blu0Ray player with built-in WiFi. A couple 12" Sony 1200 watt sub woofers. A Magellan GPS. A like-new Kenwood car receiver. 2 sirius satellite radios with all cords. A couple cell phones. A vintage GI Joe jet. A Halo Warthog. Lots of cheap board games. A CPU/GPU liquid cooling system. A wireless video surveillance system w/2 cameras. Some Makita, DeWalt, Black & Decker, and Craftsman power tools and chargers/battery packs. Also picked up a stack of sealed Disney VHS movies still in the original shrink wrap. A 27" monitor with HDMI inputs. etc. etc. etc. The list goes on... There is more stuff, but that is all I can remember off hand. I have found a couple pretty rare PC games as well, and a vintage set of pool balls that look pretty darn old. Also got a bunch of free weights and a bar so I can work out at home instead of having to go to the gym every time.

As far as the mint, complete NES games go, I scored the 5 of them in one trip a week ago for $5/ea at the local value village (except for Hoops which I paid $3 for) - Hoops (complete, mint), Kings Quest V (complete, mint), Shadowgate (complete, mint), The Chessmaster (complete, mint), Swords and Serpents (complete, mint), and Wizardry (complete, mint). They all have all their paperwork in them, and some of the stuff is still in the original bags inside. It blew my mind how someone could take such good care of them just to donate them to the value village 25 years or so later. Crazy.

I drop a lot of money at the local thrift stores to support my eBay habit. Its a great, fun hobby and I make good money at it too so I cant complain. The hardest part is being a reseller instead of a collector, as it is hard for me to sell some of the stuff I find like the 5 mint, practically NIB complete NES games I found, and the CIB copy of N64 Zelda Ocarina of Time Collectors Edition I found recently (gold cart - complete in box with everything!).

I go thrifting every day practically though. Its one of my hobbies, it gets expensive though so I have to sell quite a bit of the stuff I buy online in order to support my habit, heh. ;)

I know the muffin man!

#15 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

I go thrifting every day after work. That is the only way to get the deals...go every day, or almost every day.

I think I mentioned this in the previous thread, but this advice is totally YMMV. Going to the thrifts here every day would be a complete waste of time, they simply don't stock the shelves enough to make it worth it.

Anyways, the only decent find at Goodwill this evening was a 2012 Furby that was salvaged from Target which I picked up for $10. The box is a bit crushed, and was taped shut, and it's missing any manuals or documents that came with it, but the Furby itself is still brand new. It should flip for $35 - $40.

#16 lude21

lude21

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

Went back today and the guy found it :)

Super smash bros. melee GC $2.99 (no manual)

#17 lude21

lude21

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

I think I mentioned this in the previous thread, but this advice is totally YMMV. Going to the thrifts here every day would be a complete waste of time, they simply don't stock the shelves enough to make it worth it.

Damn, your GW sucks! It's probably one of the GW's that puts all the good stuff on their site.

#18 Olengie

Olengie

Yukari & Rise are the Best Girls.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

Anyways, the only decent find at Goodwill this evening was a 2012 Furby that was salvaged from Target which I picked up for $10. The box is a bit crushed, and was taped shut, and it's missing any manuals or documents that came with it, but the Furby itself is still brand new. It should flip for $35 - $40.

I know how you feel man. Most of my finds at GW aren't really game-related and are usually Plushies, Books, Toys, Board Games, and a few Dvds. The Video Game Department for my area is sorely lacking or is not being taken off. Even when I find something good, the discs are usually stolen anyway. I don't think they stock the old stuff, thinking that its trash or something. Either that, or some Employee buys almost all the good stuff when they see it. :lol:

The best things I got there was a Sega Dreamcast with Wires and 2 Controllers/2 VMUs for $15, a Gamecube with Mario Kart DD for $10, Skylanders Starter Set for $30, couple Skylander Figures for .99-2.99, and 15 volumes of Naruto Shippuden for 15. Maybe I'll strike this year.

Damn, your GW sucks! It's probably one of the GW's that puts all the good stuff on their site.

Mine probably does that, they have some people who would know their videogames. Otherwise, it's just girls in their early twenties to their middle forties working there.

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#19 evuong

evuong

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:44 AM

My gw seems to restock whenever there is space or when the DVD/game section is not filled

#20 TheHeef

TheHeef

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

The last few times I've gone to the GW's around my house, I've seen one or two games, with eBay price tags. All but done.

I've had better luck at Savers or Half-Price Books.

#21 Olengie

Olengie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Went to GW today. It was funny to see about 30 copies of :360: DJ Hero 2 for 9.99. Other than that, nothing worth noting.

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#22 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

Went to GW today. It was funny to see about 30 copies of :360: DJ Hero 2 for 9.99. Other than that, nothing worth noting.

I hope you grabbed them all! Those are a great flip! ;)

#23 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

I think Olengie meant the software. If it did come with the controller, he'd probably be more ecstatic.

Batsugunner.png

#24 Olengie

Olengie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

Yeap, sorry. Should've mentioned that it was Disc-Only

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#25 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

I was just joking around. Isn't dj hero pretty dead at this point?

#26 wheels

wheels

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:15 AM

I found a dreamcast console only today for $10, it powers on but I can't find my av cable to test it out.

Also got 2 nirvana cd's and a bad religion cd for $1 each!

#27 chetofvern

chetofvern

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:53 AM

Posted Image

Found all this today on a run in Boise Idaho for 11 dollars total :)

#28 lude21

lude21

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:00 AM

Posted Image

Found all this today on a run in Boise Idaho for 11 dollars total :)

Nice finds! Especially at .99 cents each!!

#29 chetofvern

chetofvern

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:09 AM

Yeah i was pretty shocked to find non greatest hits cases but in the ff7 case it was disk 1 2 and 3 greatest hits version but a extra disk 3 non greatest hits o well still awesome !

#30 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:24 AM

My local thrift store actually had DJ Hero II Legends of Rock controller for $20. I can get it for $3 on eBay. XD