Newegg 32gb PNY USB Stick for $13.99 for Xbox 360

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 sassylaurie

sassylaurie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Newegg has a shell shocker deal coming up this morning at 10am PST - $13.99 for this 32gb USB drive:

http://www.newegg.co...em-_-singleitem

With the Xbox 360 now able to accept up to 32gb USB memory per device, this is a good deal to expand your storage - especially for those who have a 4gb model.

Note - I believe you can only use up to 2 devices at a time on your 360.

#2 foreinter

foreinter

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Does that mean I can use 64gb memory on the xbox?

#3 simmias

simmias

Likely to be eaten by a grue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Tempted, but it has pretty bad reviews on Newegg. Decent reviews on Amazon. It doesn't look like it will win any speed contests, but is fast enough for the 360.

#4 sassylaurie

sassylaurie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

I am not certain if there is a total cap, but I have a 32gb stick and a 2gb stick with my profile, so I know it will recognize at least 2 at a time. Since the 360 now supports up to 32gb per USB drive, it should support up to 64gb, but I am not 100% on that.

#5 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

I might pick one up. Note that it doesn't show directly in that link yet. It's not unlocked yet. Have to click the 2nd picture to see the listing for it. Thanks OP!

If you put Rock Band or Dance Central tracks on a flash drive, do the games see them?

#6 sassylaurie

sassylaurie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Tempted, but it has pretty bad reviews on Newegg. Decent reviews on Amazon. It doesn't look like it will win any speed contests, but is fast enough for the 360.

I have a PNY 16gb, same model that works on my 360, but I use it with my Blu-Ray player now for watching avi's.

#7 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Are we sure this thing will be fast enough for the 360? People on newegg are saying it's super slow. I'm wondering if it's going to pass the tests the 360 does.

#8 MoCiWe

MoCiWe

Space Smuggler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

Are we sure this thing will be fast enough for the 360? People on newegg are saying it's super slow. I'm wondering if it's going to pass the tests the 360 does.

I wish I'd know that as well, my 360 is getting full and this would help with a nice little boost of space for cheap.

659629.png?68329996

#9 simmias

simmias

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

Some of the Amazon reviewers have talked about using it for their 360.

Edit: Seems like those are reviews for the 16gb. I hate how Amazon aggregates all their reviews for different products. But it looks like the speed issue is with write speed, not read spead.

Edited by simmias, 03 January 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#10 Saraquael

Saraquael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

If you put Rock Band or Dance Central tracks on a flash drive, do the games see them?

Yup. We used to keep our tracks on flash drives for when we go over to friends' places to play.

#11 LordFlux

LordFlux

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

I have two 32GB USB drives on my 360 and it works just fine.

#12 Saix_XIII

Saix_XIII

Video Game Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

I am waiting for this drive to be around $10-12 like it was on Black Friday when I missed.

http://www.amazon.co...2gb sandisk usb

I would never use that for personal data/PC use due to it's size and making it easy to lose, but it is what I think is ideal for the 360 due to it not sticking out far from the system.

532919.pngsig.gif

Repetition in a game is NOT a bad thing, almost all games are repetitive. What matters is if YOU enjoy the game, then the repetition becomes enjoyable and doesn't feel monotonous or boring.
My Trade List

#13 dcm1602

dcm1602

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

Im gonna jump on this when it goes live

With Halo 4 eating up almost my entire original HDD dont have much of a choice.

if anyone knows a reason this wont work with the 360 please mention it before the deal goes live

#14 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

I am waiting for this drive to be around $10-12 like it was on Black Friday when I missed.

http://www.amazon.co...2gb sandisk usb

I would never use that for personal data/PC use due to it's size and making it easy to lose, but it is what I think is ideal for the 360 due to it not sticking out far from the system.

Yeah, that would be good, but don't plug it into the front ports - you will probably never be able to get it back out again. LOL.

#15 Danger Zone: Archer

Danger Zone: Archer

Not really here.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

hell yeah i need one to back up my files on.

K_ON__No__Thank_you_Animated_by_AlextheH

#16 ctclements

ctclements

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

I'm kind of out of the loop on adding storage to the 360, I have a 250gb drive and haven't even filled half of it. My father has a 20gb drive and it's completely full of Rock Band songs. I saw above that you can play songs off of this, can you also install full games to it or things like the Halo 4 multiplayer? Does it essentially act as a normal hard drive would?

#17 Skull One

Skull One

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

I'm kind of out of the loop on adding storage to the 360, I have a 250gb drive and haven't even filled half of it. My father has a 20gb drive and it's completely full of Rock Band songs. I saw above that you can play songs off of this, can you also install full games to it or things like the Halo 4 multiplayer? Does it essentially act as a normal hard drive would?

It acts exactly as a HD does. Have installed Indie, XBLA and DVD games to my 16GB USB with no issues. The thing I like best about it however is the ability to copy the contents of the USB drive to my PC. I do it once a week so that all of my game saves are protected. Considering I have 325 games, that is a lot of work that I don't want to ever lose. Plus I can move the stick between all three of my Xboxes. Which means I never have to worry about the Cloud storage being down or not having enough space.

#18 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Some of the Amazon reviewers have talked about using it for their 360.

Edit: Seems like those are reviews for the 16gb. I hate how Amazon aggregates all their reviews for different products. But it looks like the speed issue is with write speed, not read spead.

On newegg people describe it has having "dog slow reads" and even slower write. I think I'm going to skip it. If it was just slow writes that would be OK for my needs, but I don't want the slow reads.

#19 The Acacia Strain

The Acacia Strain

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

Too late on this one..

#20 dcm1602

dcm1602

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

Anyone else buy this garbage?

Mine came in today and it keeps saying "cant configure: Your device failed the data loss test and cant be configured) for my 360

Pretty shitty...

#21 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

I wonder if you got a defective one, or if it's just way to slow for the Xbox. That was the worry.

#22 sabanoo

sabanoo

I like pie.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

I wonder if you got a defective one, or if it's just way to slow for the Xbox. That was the worry.

Yeah, probably just too slow for the Xbox. Try it on a PC to see if it's actually busted. I have a couple that are too shitty for the Xbox but they work fine for normal usage.

#23 aaronrodgers

aaronrodgers

Yo...Siggy, Phido!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

What's a good usb stick for the 360 then that's not too much more expensive than this?

95438.png

LT1B2oV.png

#24 Slermy

Slermy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:02 AM

I am not certain if there is a total cap, but I have a 32gb stick and a 2gb stick with my profile, so I know it will recognize at least 2 at a time. Since the 360 now supports up to 32gb per USB drive, it should support up to 64gb, but I am not 100% on that.

Two at a time is indeed the limit.

#25 KrizB

KrizB

Flrying into FWEE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:09 AM

My nephew needs a storage device for Halo 4 so I spent an hour or two this morning looking up info on USB drives.

Most users/reviews agree that when it comes to budget USB drives for the 360, PNY are bad while Sandisk are good- but they might be a little to big for the slots.

zantar45.jpg

#26 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

Missed the deal but this thread was still useful. Back when they first started allowing USB sticks to be used on the 360 they said there was a limit per device of 16GB... didn't know until now that that apparently changed.

#27 simmias

simmias

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

Anyone else buy this garbage?

Mine came in today and it keeps saying "cant configure: Your device failed the data loss test and cant be configured) for my 360

Pretty shitty...

Got mine today, and it worked just fine. Took about 30 seconds to configure. You should send yours back.

#28 Kolgar

Kolgar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

My nephew needs a storage device for Halo 4 so I spent an hour or two this morning looking up info on USB drives.

Most users/reviews agree that when it comes to budget USB drives for the 360, PNY are bad while Sandisk are good- but they might be a little to big for the slots.

I've done more research and trial-and-error looking for thumb drives than I care to say, but I've had good luck with PNY Attache drives on both 360 and PS3. On 360, my go-to has become the Lexar Firefly Jumpdrive (both 16 and 32gb flavors work fine). I got a Transcend Jetflash 32 which corrupts after every reboot of my 360; haven't tried it with a PS3.

Good luck!

#29 dcm1602

dcm1602

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

Got mine today, and it worked just fine. Took about 30 seconds to configure. You should send yours back.

Weirdest thing ever

I read your comment tried it again, and it worked fine.

I tried 4+ times the other day when it came in and got that error message every time.

Wasnt even like I took it out and put it back in. Its been in my Xbox the whole time.

Interesting

#30 NightCat

NightCat

Backtoad_Overload

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

bought 2 and 0 work on 2 360's... so meh about it.. works slow on laptop n pc. Ths deal was a bust... returning them.