#1 Knoell

Knoell

Achievement Unlocked

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:43 AM

http://kotaku.com/59...dium=Socialflow

What do you all think?

My opinion

If this were true than any type of accent or slang could be construed as racist and portraying said speakers of that accent or slang as whatever the character was, wacky or not.

I guess the Bond movies portay all Brits as licensed killers.

#2 IRHari

IRHari

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:08 AM

The Fuck is bordlands 2?
"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power." -Bill Clinton

#3 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Proper Internet "netiquette" is to put Kotaku articles you want to share into Pastebin so they do not get hits and ad revenue. They are part of the Gawker network which is basically a company that race and gender-baits readers to harvest hits. The fake issues are fun to argue about, but it's getting out of control. Gaming has not yet been ruined by the social justice types, but that is their goal.

#4 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

Proper Internet "netiquette" is to put Kotaku articles you want to share into Pastebin so they do not get hits and ad revenue. They are part of the Gawker network which is basically a company that race and gender-baits readers to harvest hits. The fake issues are fun to argue about, but it's getting out of control. Gaming has not yet been ruined by the social justice types, but that is their goal.

Just because of this, I'm going to not only go click-crazy, but I'm also going to click on their ads. Thanks for the tip!

Why can't we talk about those things? Oh right, because racism and sexism doesn't exist anymore.:roll:

#5 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Kotaku has raised fake issues in the past, but do also bring up real ones. They are like all media; they create some stories to truly be for debating and others just for revenue. It's not fair imo to blame them for a problem that exists in all media
(\__/)
(='.'=)
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Posted Image

#6 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

When did Fox News buyout Kotaku?

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#7 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

Why can't we talk about those things? Oh right, because racism and sexism doesn't exist anymore.:roll:

No, they exist, and everybody is pretty much on board.

Besides, practically every big game coming out is sexist or racist these days. Far Cry 3 is being hit with the same nonsense Uncharted was. Cyberpunk 2077 is the most recent with the next big "controversy" right around the corner. I'm glad games aren't boring yet. I would love to see a sci-fi game where the racism isn't just between aliens and humans. I doubt that even the Mass Effect timeline is enough to erase class, racial and gender conflicts.

#8 renique46

renique46

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:27 AM

The Fuck is bordlands 2?

The sequel to bordlands

#9 Dark_Sage

Dark_Sage

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

Just because of this, I'm going to not only go click-crazy, but I'm also going to click on their ads. Thanks for the tip!

Enjoy Kotaku while your spite lasts. I don't think it's the kind of place you're gonna like though.

#10 Jruth

Jruth

No trite shit crew gamer bro

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

I can't stand this stuff.

Haven't you figured it out yet fanboys? Your mommy can't afford both consoles! Be grateful with what you got and shut the Fuck up.

- starving African bro

#11 CaptainJoel

CaptainJoel

Church of Falcon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

This whole thing is bullshit. I talk pretty much exactly like Tiny Tina and I'm white. Doesn't make me racist, I just grew up with what most would term urban youths at a very formative time in my life. Also, T Pain and Lil Jon are the bomb. Those people that complained have very narrow views of people if they think that shit is racist.

#12 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

As a video game character I thought she was funny, just because it's such an outlandish character. Though if I heard someone speak like that in real life I'd probably roll my eyes. Keep in mind that the BL characters are meant to be over the top and exaggerated.

Also kinda sad that I've met people who speak not unlike Scooter as well here in the south.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#13 anarch

anarch

And all that could have been...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

This is a non-issue. Everything in Borderlands is over-the-top and nonsensical. Never mind that Tiny Tina is an insane tween obsessed with explosives and mass murderers, but next someone will probably equate that with terrorism and school violence.

#14 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

As a video game character I thought she was funny, just because it's such an outlandish character. Though if I heard someone speak like that in real life I'd probably roll my eyes. Keep in mind that the BL characters are meant to be over the top and exaggerated.

Also kinda sad that I've met people who speak not unlike Scooter as well here in the south.

100% agree on all accounts. Should southerners bitch about how over the top the Ellie and Scooter thing was? How bout Eastern Europeans for how Markus is a scheming money grubber. Frick-sake. They use accents, dialog, innuendo, as well or better than 99% of devs. It's funny, offensive in content, but overall, handled incredibly well. Tiny Tiny brought literal LOL moments out of my buddy and I while we played it.

Shame on the writer to interact with a handful of complainers. He probably should have just let it go, but I can see how someone calling your work "racist" could bring out a pretty immediate, and emotional response. Do these guys throw a fit every time Cole Train opens his mouth in Gears? Or whenever the gritty, urban, black guy gives his, -every single performance from a Quentin Tarrentino movie, ever?

Misguided criticism IMO. Would people have said it was more or less "racist" if Tina was black?

#15 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Wouldn't it be more racist if no white person can speak like a black person?

And Roland doesn't speak like that. It'd be racist if Tina some like a white chick, and Roland a black dude.

#16 highoffcoffee496

highoffcoffee496

I gotta believe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

Developer Who Called Borderlands Character Racist Is Now Out Of A Job

http://kotaku.com/59...ow-out-of-a-job
(\__/)
(='.'=)
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Posted Image

#17 Knoell

Knoell

Achievement Unlocked

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:00 AM

Looks like he worked for a contractor, and was not fired, he quit.

#18 DurbanBrown

DurbanBrown

to the MOON

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

so dumb

Zombies-Sig.jpg

last.fm: shroomer1999                                                                  Designed By Lilchiji

#19 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

Good Fuck him.
I agree with one of the comments on that kotaku article ''white people stop being offended for black people''.

#20 CaptainJoel

CaptainJoel

Church of Falcon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

People talk like Tina in the south too. Tennessee was where I grew up and toooons of people talk like that.

Wouldn't it be more racist if no white person can speak like a black person?

My thoughts exactly.

XD His tweets are hilarious. Dude is clearly bitter over the ordeal.

#21 Knoell

Knoell

Achievement Unlocked

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

Good Fuck him.
I agree with one of the comments on that kotaku article ''white people stop being offended for black people''.

But they think they are such saints for doing it lol

#22 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

People talk like Tina in the south too. Tennessee was where I grew up and toooons of people talk like that.

Yeah, me too. I know....lol. Dude didn't deserve to be fired for raising a dispute.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#23 Ziv

Ziv

Jerk Extreme

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

He quit. He must have thought he deserved it.

#24 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

Ah, the wording of some of that made it sound like was fired. Didn't read all his ranting, maybe he got more specific there.

#25 bordjon

bordjon

tastes good on the bun.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

The Fuck is bordlands 2?

My kinda place!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 WorhoornchigH

WorhoornchigH

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

Strange that I cant find any cites online about it, but I have heard Shinetown used as a name for the part of town where poor black people live. I wonder if that usage might have influenced the person in the OP to assume that sunshine was a racist term.

#27 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

I'm very angry about Assassins Creed III because there are a lot of native americans with face paint. Not every native american wears face paint. That's racist!

Not being Native American allows me righteous indignation about said offense without actually having suffered any actual harm because of discrimination against native americans.

thank you.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#28 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

Strange that I cant find any cites online about it, but I have heard Shinetown used as a name for the part of town where poor black people live. I wonder if that usage might have influenced the person in the OP to assume that sunshine was a racist term.

It's possible that you're confusing the terms Sundown/Sunset Towns with Shinetown and actually means the opposite of what you think it does. A Sundown/Sunset town means that it's a place that wouldn't be safe for black people when it gets dark because the whites in the town would beat and/or kill them.

Regardless, that developer has a point in that the character is problematic because it does follow a a trend of white girls using the vernacular, which is why that dev called it a trope and not all out racist, but the issue of racism is far more complicated than just using the vernacular.

I personally haven't played the game yet, so I can't say whether it is or isn't and I'm leaning towards it not being racist from what I've read, but I could be convinced otherwise.

I'm very angry about Assassins Creed III because there are a lot of native americans with face paint. Not every native american wears face paint. That's racist!

Not being Native American allows me righteous indignation about said offense without actually having suffered any actual harm because of discrimination against native americans.

thank you.

Only Chinese people can be upset about the Chinese Exclusion Act, only Japanese people can be upset about internment camps, only Native Americans can be upset about their genocide, and only black people can be upset about slavery. Do I got that right? Thanks for clearing that up!
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#29 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

Only Chinese people can be upset about the Chinese Exclusion Act, only Japanese people can be upset about internment camps, only Native Americans can be upset about their genocide, and only black people can be upset about slavery. Do I got that right? Thanks for clearing that up!

Yes, because those things are totally the same as when a character in a video game uses face paint. Or when a black character uses a term no one uses anymore.

And please, save me the "it starts with a video game and ends with hitler!" type rant you're about to start on. You're too predictable, dohdough. But we've gone down this road before. I'm glad your righteousness is good for you though. God bless.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#30 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Yes, because those things are totally the same as when a character in a video game uses face paint. Or when a black character uses a term no one uses anymore.

It's perfectly reasonable to call out a developer and publisher for using ignorant stereotypes when depicting marginalized people. Things like face paint are culturally significant and a minute of research into it like a goddamn google search should've taken care of that and would've shown a modicum respect instead of relying on cultural stereotypes as a substitute.

I don't even know where the Fuck you're going with the second example. At least provide some context if you're trying to troll-bait me.

And please, save me the "it starts with a video game and ends with hitler!" type rant you're about to start on. You're too predictable, dohdough. But we've gone down this road before. I'm glad your righteousness is good for you though. God bless.

Not to mention that it's like you completely ignored my response to the other CAG in the same exact post that you quoted which partially addresses this and your initial bullshit. The only one predictable here is you for your kneejerk reactions, which is not only demonstrated in this thread, but several other threads as well. At least I provide and follow the context. You? You're just lampooning yourself at this point.
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!