Photo
- - - - -

Ouya - Console Preorder Thread

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#1 blinknot4

blinknot4

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

For those that are interested, the Ouya is now available for preorder for those of us (myself included) that did not get in on the Kickstarter. Hopefully this thing is turns out to be pretty cool...

The console is $99.99. Each extra controller is $49.99. Ships this spring/summer.

Amazon:
Console
Extra Controller

Best Buy:
Console
Extra Controller

Target:
Console

Gamestop:
Console
Extra Controller

Direct from the Ouya website*:
Console
Extra Controller
*Thanks to KillerRamen for the links!

Edited by blinknot4, 06 February 2013 - 01:00 AM.
Gamestop links added

Dill The Noise.

471350.png

#2 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

Well, glad this thing is actually coming to fruition. Not in love with the prices of the controllers but that's how they get you. Guess the controller looks to be bigger than the console so maybe it is a steal at $50.

#3 czissis

czissis

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

Really happy to see them launching in stores in June. I was a very early Kickstarter backer (number 27) and am super pumped to mess with it.

#4 StryderOmega

StryderOmega

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Well if I ever have $100 to blow on a toy.

xivpads.png

#5 alexkidd4

alexkidd4

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

Is this one of those systems that streams the games and you can't download them? A buddy of mine had one of those and it was terrible.

#6 FlipSide

FlipSide

Made in the Philippines

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Is this one of those systems that streams the games and you can't download them? A buddy of mine had one of those and it was terrible.

No, your talking about Onlive. Ouya is an Android based(custom) gaming console.
Posted Image

#7 leungw

leungw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

The controller was only $30 when it was on Kickstarter....

#8 Jackovasaurus

Jackovasaurus

And ya say Chi-City

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

That was a special price for the kick starter backers.

#9 TylerDurden313

TylerDurden313

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

The controller was only $30 when it was on Kickstarter....

The controller did receive a redesign after developer feedback. I'm sure that added to the cost.

OUYA controller

#10 Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear

For the Horde!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Thanks but no thanks OP. I'll skip this waste of money and save a hundred bucks. It's an off-the-wall idea that sounds like it could be awesome, but I can't imagine this thing will be anything but an overpriced novelty. I might pick one up out of the clearence bin for $20 6 months post-launch though.

#11 DurbanBrown

DurbanBrown

to the MOON

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

i will prob get one of these. its cheap enough

Zombies-Sig.jpg

last.fm: shroomer1999                                                                  Designed By Lilchiji

#12 thebert

thebert

In The Friend Zone

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

Hopefully the controller actually lives up to their promises. I won't lie, it looks like a super light, un-ergonomic, cheap piece of plastic. Hopefully the wings are long enough to provide a decent grip. I have to hand them this, at least they're listening to people and totally reworked the d-pad. Or maybe they figured out that their best chance at success it's getting a large following with the emulation scene, so a good d-pad was vital.

I'm sure it will take no time at all before someone figures out how to easily pair with a dualshock or xbox controller. I didn't request a second controller on kickstarter just for that reason.

#13 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

I'm sure it will take no time at all before someone figures out how to easily pair with a dualshock or xbox controller. I didn't request a second controller on kickstarter just for that reason.

I'll be honest, I'll probably end up shelving the controllers for USB classic controllers and joysticks, but I kinda figured the price on them would jump up so I went ahead and ordered a second while they were cheap. Worst case scenario, I can flip it and make about $10 off of it. Best case, it's an awesome controller that I'll also use with my PC.

#14 Dysheekie

Dysheekie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

I'm interested, but $99 is a bit too much for me. I'll wait to see if I can snag one for $50ish down the road.
Posted Image

#15 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

O.M.G.:-# Never heard of this! This has to have the gaming console industry petrified!!!!!!!!

I'd be interested in this after figuring out what they're going to do about that 8gb.

Hope they don't sell this to some big company too quick . $50 billion or bust.8-)

EDIT: Ah, ok............

"8GB internal storage
Allows you to save your favorite games, apps and other media directly to the console. Expandable via USB 2.0 port"

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#16 daminion

daminion

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

I backed the kickstarter with an extra controller. My 11 year old son has been interested in game programming and I can't think of a better way to help push that interest forward.

#17 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

So what's the consensus? Good? Bad? Ugly?
$100 isnt' expensive, but $50-$60 seems my price range.

#18 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

It's so small!

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#19 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Now, if they really make it as easy to root and install a stock android OS, I'll have reason to get one.

Pretty sure they said at one point that they will be providing instructions on how to root it immediately.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#20 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Pretty sure they said at one point that they will be providing instructions on how to root it immediately.

I know, I'm just somewhat skeptical of that claim. Their marketplace will be where they make all their profit, why give instructions on how to get away from it? Either it won't work that well, or they're banking on most people who buy it with those intentions being too lazy to do it.

#21 anarch

anarch

And all that could have been...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Does it play AAA titles like their surveys implied?

#22 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

The Best Buy info from the OP's link has a cleaner view of the info on this:http://www.bestbuy.c...=1312731&loc=01

#23 Johnnybeachboy

Johnnybeachboy

Need a CHEAP PS VITA

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

I discovered the kickstarter right after it ended. I was so pissed. I'm surprised this is actually of the ground though. I wish they would rep lease the copper one from the kickstarter order.

#24 HisDivineOrder

HisDivineOrder

Embrace the Dealness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Last I checked, Ouya still uses a proprietary marketplace. Fresh out of the box, if I want to play Angry Birds on it, I get to buy it yet again. Also means those thousands of apps don't exist unless a developer ports 'em. I have no interest in maintaining yet another collection of digital software through another storefront. Now, if they really make it as easy to root and install a stock android OS, I'll have reason to get one. Though I lose nothing by waiting to see how easy that turns out.

Last I checked, you can root it. Put yer stock Android. Play yer stock Android games. Use yer custom XBMC. Do a little dance none of us will ever hopefully see.

Profit.

That's what I'm waiting on.

And that controller looks horrible. I thought they were going to redesign it?

Stock Android has controller support. So... root it. Use a different controller?

#25 Asgardian

Asgardian

Crazy Ass Game Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

The controllers in the dev kit looks very cheaply made... hope they post an actual gameplay video to review the performance.

I backed out of the original kickstart, will wait for it to drop to under $30.
Have a good read of the awesome FAQ by AtlanteanMan.
Posted Image
Then post in the DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD Suggestion Thread and Information Page:
http://community.us..../thread/3416427
Show your support to bring this awesome strategy title to North America!

#26 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

Wubadubadub, is that true?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

So if I preorder online from BB they'll keep authorizing my card for the whole amount until it ships, right?

uc.png

#27 Brash_Attack

Brash_Attack

Emperor Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

I think I regret not getting an extra controller during the Kickstarter. Didn't know they would be so much more expensive at retail.

#28 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

I think I regret not getting an extra controller during the Kickstarter. Didn't know they would be so much more expensive at retail.

Root it and use a PS3 controller. If you don't already have one, they're $10 less on Amazon right now and it's probably a better controller.

#29 Shadow Enz

Shadow Enz

Shadow of a ghost

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

Got a Neo Geo X Gold. Only allowed one ambitious purchase per year. Now I've got to wait and see how this thing performs and if they ever release rechargable controllers (similar to dual shock).

Thanks to the user who posted the retroarch app link, never heard of it before.

Now I gotta go learn how to sync my dualshock to my galaxy tab.
The path to hell lies between my fists, and your soul... Shun Goku Satsu!

You must exceed your limitations if you wish to survive.

Posted Image

#30 Brash_Attack

Brash_Attack

Emperor Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Root it and use a PS3 controller. If you don't already have one, they're $10 less on Amazon right now and it's probably a better controller.

Yeah, I have a few and that's a solid plan I didn't think of. However, that controller would lose out on all the games that make use of the touchpad.