Best Buy making online PM policy permanent starting Mar. 3rd

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#1 BigK_201

BigK_201

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Looks like BB is taking after Target and extending their online price matching policy. This is great! I've already PM a lot of Amazon's prices at Target and stacked some great deals (PM Amazon.com prices with Wii U games the week they had the B2G1 free on Wii U games). I can't post a link because I'm a newbie, but I've copied and pasted the Press Release here:

Best Buy ends 'showrooming' with Low Price Guarantee

MINNEAPOLIS – February 15, 2013 – Best Buy's Low Price Guarantee hits online and in stores on March 3, signaling the end of "showrooming." Best Buy will price match all local retail competitors and 19 major online competitors in all product categories and on nearly all in-stock products, whenever asked by a customer.

Best Buy is the only retailer to offer a Low Price Guarantee in addition to having a full range of the latest and greatest devices and services, a sales force dedicated to providing impartial and knowledgeable advice and full support for the life of the product.

With a Low Price Guarantee, our customers will have the best of both worlds when they shop BestBuy.com or come to a Best Buy store. They will get unbiased service from our Blue Shirts and support for the life of their product while also knowing they have a Low Price Guarantee on nearly every item. This guarantee is available on BestBuy.com, at more than 1,000 Best Buy big box stores, more than 400 Best Buy Mobile stand-alone stores in the United States, as well as on the telephone.

The full Low Price Guarantee policy – including exclusions and the list of online retailers we will match prices from – can be found on BestBuy.com.

#2 Saix_XIII

Saix_XIII

Video Game Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

This was talking about at length in another thread. While this is true it is not the whole truth.

You only have 15 days to return any time and you can only price match any other retailer the day of purchase. You can price match Best Buy itself within 15 days.

532919.pngsig.gif

Repetition in a game is NOT a bad thing, almost all games are repetitive. What matters is if YOU enjoy the game, then the repetition becomes enjoyable and doesn't feel monotonous or boring.
My Trade List

#3 Lucian

Lucian

Officer Friendly

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Ill get this if Amazon matches.
Posted Image

#4 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Yeah, to go with this though the return window is now only 15 days for non silver and can no longer price match other stores after the initial purchase.

Double edge sword. But at least can price match good deals that frys, amazon and newegg has without hassle.

Also, they aren't the only retailer as Target does this as well, lol.

#5 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Ill get this if Amazon matches.

:applause:

#6 BigK_201

BigK_201

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

This was talking about at length in another thread. While this is true it is not the whole truth.

You only have 15 days to return any time and you can only price match any other retailer the day of purchase. You can price match Best Buy itself within 15 days.

Shoot I didn't see the other thread for this.

But hey, price matching with online retailers in general is great, but that is super lame they are cutting it down from 30 to 15 days for returns.

#7 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

To be fair, its buried in the 20 dollar certificate thread so its probably a good thing this has a thread of its own so everyone is aware of the changes.

#8 BigK_201

BigK_201

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Yeah, to go with this though the return window is now only 15 days for non silver and can no longer price match other stores after the initial purchase.

Double edge sword. But at least can price match good deals that frys, amazon and newegg has without hassle.

Also, they aren't the only retailer as Target does this as well, lol.

Yeah I've been doing it at Target since they launched theirs. I'm not sure if they will PM online retailers withing the 2 week window but they don't gimp the amount of days you have to return your item.

Exactly right though, I'm glad we are getting more options as buyers, especially when we are too impatient to wait for our 2 day shipping from Amazon ;)

#9 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

To be fair, its buried in the 20 dollar certificate thread so its probably a good thing this has a thread of its own so everyone is aware of the changes.

so they can complain more? LOL

#10 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

so they can complain more? LOL

People will complain, but id rather it be known so people can make educated purchases.

#11 Multibeaster79

Multibeaster79

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

Kinda sucks IMO. Never had any issue at any of my BBs price matching Amazon, new egg, and most legitimate non marketplace type prices. Losing the post purchase pm'ing blows and doesn't make sense.

If I have 15 days to return and rebut the same item why can't I just price match that item within that return Window. Idk seems desperate. I also just foresee this causing more customer service issues, 15 days is a VERY short return window especially in comparison with Target, Walmart and amazon.

#12 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

The problem on most big ticket items is that those items will often time have a different item number.

#13 usagi

usagi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

Well at least I can PM Frys.com now, living on the east coast.

#14 Dund3r

Dund3r

You can't handle my undivided attention.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

The full story so far:

http://consumerist.c...rice-guarantee/

PMing other competitors at the time of purchase only really hurts.

#15 Multibeaster79

Multibeaster79

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

The full story so far:

http://consumerist.c...rice-guarantee/

PMing other competitors at the time of purchase only really hurts.

That was my point. Here's an example:

I bought dead space 3 two weeks ago and now it's on sale for $20 less at a competitor. What prevent me to return the game and repurchase now requesting a pm to that competitor. It's just going to make doing so more of a PITA.

#16 zzamaro

zzamaro

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

Not a deal.
[This signature was deleted at the request of the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo.]

#17 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

That really won't change anything for determined people since (unless the item is OOS) you can just purchase an item again for a full competitor PM, then return it with the old receipt. Probably get heavy abusers banned, but casual shoppers like me won't be affected.

Still, great news for people like me who have been moving away from Amazon.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#18 Saix_XIII

Saix_XIII

Video Game Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

That really won't change anything for determined people since (unless the item is OOS) you can just purchase an item again for a full competitor PM, then return it with the old receipt. Probably get heavy abusers banned, but casual shoppers like me won't be affected.

Correct it won't affect casual shoppers, but this isn't Casual Ass Gamer. This affects CAGs and other smart shoppers which is where we are current discussing at this moment.

532919.pngsig.gif

Repetition in a game is NOT a bad thing, almost all games are repetitive. What matters is if YOU enjoy the game, then the repetition becomes enjoyable and doesn't feel monotonous or boring.
My Trade List

#19 IceTeaCrisis

IceTeaCrisis

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

I went to BestBuy a few days ago to see if they would price match a site not in the list and the guy said no only if it was on Amazon sold by Amazon so this may already be semi in effect now depending on the store since the 3rd is still a few weeks away.

#20 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

It has been in effect for a while now, but before they were just trialing the new policy. Now they've decided to fully instate it.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#21 cubeenigma

cubeenigma

Cheap Ass Chinese Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

worst part is obviously the post price match policy use in conjunction with the $20 pre order guarantee. I'll miss you best deal ever but that's just a bad turn of events

#22 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

worst part is obviously the post price match policy use in conjunction with the $20 pre order guarantee. I'll miss you best deal ever but that's just a bad turn of events

I'm sure this, and many other instances, are exactly why they've changed it. The double-dipping was just too good to last.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#23 Kitoro

Kitoro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

I read the Consumerist article, but I don't get what this means for Premier Silver members.

So 60 day return/exchange policy will remain in effect until April 18th, but then what?

#24 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

Yeah, I don't get why they would get rid of the post-purchase PMing... Do they really think that people are stupid enough that they won't just return and re-buy instead? It's just going to create a lot more hassle for their employees, not stop anything from happening.

On the other hand, given some of the stupid shit people try to pull... I'm not really all that surprised about the shortened return period. The other week during the Upgrade and Save offer, I went to the customer service desk to trade in some DVDs. I ended up behind a guy who was apparently trying to exchange a laptop for a router. He was past his return period, and had apparently done three exchanges since the original transaction already, all for different items. Apparently for a month he had been using Best Buy as an electronics rental service or something. Fortunately, another CS person came along after a few minutes and took care of my trade-in -- the guy was still arguing with the CS person helping him when I left. From what I've been told by a friend who used to work at Best Buy, this sort of thing isn't nearly as uncommon as you'd think. It's assholes like that who ruin these things.

#25 DieGo2SHAE

DieGo2SHAE

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Hopefully Microsoft has another insane Black Friday deal later this year.

#26 NINJA V

NINJA V

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

according to best buy's 3rd party return tracking if you buy/find a price cheaper/ return for adjustment you are abusing the return policy hence will get an "excessive return" flag and not be able to return anything for a period of time or permanently.

double edged sword indeed.

#27 oregon

oregon

CAG Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Meh way to ruin a good thing BB. Guess ill be doin my PMs all at Frys now.

#28 preston181

preston181

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

I found out a out this last weekend, when the Best Buy guy said he'd match Amazon for Bond 50 Bluray set. I was surprised the guy knew about it, let alone matched it.

#29 cubeenigma

cubeenigma

Cheap Ass Chinese Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

I'm sure this, and many other instances, are exactly why they've changed it. The double-dipping was just too good to last.

Oh well. I'll try after that date a couple of times before I "remember" muahaha

#30 BudzMcGee

BudzMcGee

Clearance Bin Review

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

The 15 day return window is just pathetic though. I mean, it is one thing to say they are going to stop doing price adjustments for other stores, but 15 days? That's half of what Toys R Us offers for electronics, seriously, they are being beaten by one of the worst starting on March 3rd. Target and Walmart allow, I'm fairly certain, 45 days for unopened items at least, and actually looking at a receipt, Target gives 90 days for unopened merchandise typically (video games included). Just crack down on the abusers like the one arcane93 mentioned on an individual level and don't screw everyone else over.

My video game site ClearanceBinReview.com - The right game for the right price.
300x156xBacklog-Quest-II-300x156.jpg.pag
Want to write reviews of iPhone and XBLIG's and get FREE games for doing so? We are looking for writers! Go HERE.

Sign up for Shopkick and get free Best Buy and Target gift cards for free! Sign up through here (referral) for 50 bonus kicks!