Best Buy exchanging competitor GC into RZ points

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 smackinisaiah

smackinisaiah

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

I don't know if anyone else posted this, but I saw this today and got super stoked.

Taken from Plastic Jungle's website:

"Plastic Jungle, a trusted Best Buy® Reward Zone® partner, allows you to turn other retailer's gift cards into Best Buy Reward Zone points. The offer for your gift card is determined by the market rate which is influenced by the card's brand, seasonality, and other factors. The exchange is done securely and instantly when you click on the "Accept this Offer" button. You will receive an email confirming order completion and will have the Reward Zone points deposited to your Reward Zone account within one business day."

Things to know and consider when attempting a gift card trade:
  • You must have a minimum of $25 on retailer gift card
  • It should take within 1 business day to receive exchange

I calculated approximate exchanges on the following retailers and this is what I got:
  • $25 Walmart gift card = ~$23 (92%)
  • $25 Target gift card = ~$22 (89.5%)
  • $25 GameStop gift card = ~$20 (81%)
  • $25 Kmart gift card = ~$21 (84%)
  • $25 Toys R Us gift card = ~$20 (80%)

This is definitely an excellent program to take advantage of when you're hoping to get a game from Best Buy and have a gift card to less desired retailer.

#2 oregon

oregon

CAG Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

Lol wtf

#3 Mr_hockey66

Mr_hockey66

Lets go pens!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

60% of the time they win 100% of the time.
check out my tradelist :
http://www.cheapassg...mar-and-wwe-13/

#4 smackinisaiah

smackinisaiah

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

Haha right. I'm so fed up with BBY's BS, but honestly, this, to me, is a pretty solid service. I'm a sucker for gift cards and promos that give away GCs, so this helps with my preorder purchases for sure.

#5 Mr_hockey66

Mr_hockey66

Lets go pens!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

I don't understand this though. The only time I would think this would be of any use would be Christmas. If I have 25 dollar gift card to Walmart is just go to Walmart to spend my money.

I shop at best buy. I go there to buy and or trade in games. I stopped shopping with GameStop about five years ago.

Ill probably end up using this though lol. I come across random giftcards all the time in my line of work. I guess I'll trade them in for best buy ones.
check out my tradelist :
http://www.cheapassg...mar-and-wwe-13/

#6 clawber

clawber

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

Might be a good way to get rid of Sony giftcards from the laptop trade in promo

#7 dyeknom

dyeknom

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

Wonder how they plan to stop people from redeeming these online after exchanging.

#8 CRAZY93NiS

CRAZY93NiS

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

that doesnt sound like a good offer, so they are gonna turn your giftcard into rward zone points?

and you have to spend 250 points to get a $5 certificate

#9 smackinisaiah

smackinisaiah

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

I don't understand this though. The only time I would think this would be of any use would be Christmas. If I have 25 dollar gift card to Walmart is just go to Walmart to spend my money.

I shop at best buy. I go there to buy and or trade in games. I stopped shopping with GameStop about five years ago.

Ill probably end up using this though lol. I come across random giftcards all the time in my line of work. I guess I'll trade them in for best buy ones.

I hate to sound like I'm some sort of advocate for Best Buy, because I absolutely am not, but I love the $20 in RZ for buying a preorder with GCU. Using a $25 Walmart GC turned $23 BBY GC, and that cuts into cost for a brand new game, and a $20 GC to expect later. Whatever makes brand new games closest to free is cool with me.

#10 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:06 PM

Wonder how they plan to stop people from redeeming these online after exchanging.

Why would they stop people?

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#11 kouleefoh

kouleefoh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:06 PM

people then turn RZ certs into Amazon Gift cards, lol

#12 smackinisaiah

smackinisaiah

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

that doesnt sound like a good offer, so they are gonna turn your giftcard into rward zone points?

and you have to spend 250 points to get a $5 certificate

You get a percentage of the GC's value back in certificates, not points. So a $25 Walmart GC would give you $23 in RZ certificate value, not 23 points.

#13 CAGMoose

CAGMoose

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

Why would they stop people?

I think he means submitting Walmart GC information, then redeeming the same Walmart GC online. I imagine PlasticJungle has some way of draining the original GC.

#14 smackinisaiah

smackinisaiah

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

Hmm actually everything all says points. I'm gonna investigate further into this. Now you got me thinking, boyboy.

#15 coolrust

coolrust

Kupalizm Mode

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

if u think of it, tax free.

#16 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

I think he means submitting Walmart GC information, then redeeming the same Walmart GC online. I imagine PlasticJungle has some way of draining the original GC.

Yes, they do. They're not stupid.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#17 StryderOmega

StryderOmega

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:10 AM

I hate to sound like I'm some sort of advocate for Best Buy, because I absolutely am not, but I love the $20 in RZ for buying a preorder with GCU. Using a $25 Walmart GC turned $23 BBY GC, and that cuts into cost for a brand new game, and a $20 GC to expect later. Whatever makes brand new games closest to free is cool with me.

Since this is BB your talking about, you need to make sure you distinguish better between RZCs and GCs.

RZCs don't cover tax and become ineligible if sale price is less than the value of the RZC.

GCs have no such limitation.

Just saying.

xivpads.png

#18 mitemouse

mitemouse

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:29 AM

trading gamestops gift cards for points is a 20% loss.. it would be better to use the plastic jungle for the paypal or check which is around 18% loss and its cash

#19 plus1zero

plus1zero

Turd Ferguson

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:30 AM

Only thing I hate about RZ is the 30 day wait time.

#20 mossfan563

mossfan563

CAG 'til I die!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:43 AM

I may consider getting rid of my Walmart Gift Card because they have no deals and don't PM internet prices. Been trying to get a good deal for Tomb Raider or Madden 13.
Posted Image

#21 panda911

panda911

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:53 AM

This is actually kinda interesting.

#22 TheWooz

TheWooz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:00 AM

Looks like something Gamestop would do. Makes no sense for anyone to do this. Why take a loss?

#23 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:14 AM

Looks like something Gamestop would do. Makes no sense for anyone to do this. Why take a loss?

Because some people have zero use for some gift card? I don't think I will ever use a Dick's Sporting Good gift card so getting anything from another store is a plus for me.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#24 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:40 AM

Some people win gift cards in contests, sometimes for stores they do not have in their location and these stores do not have online stores. Example I won a california pizza gift card, I am in NY, so I would have no use for the card. It would have gone to waste if I didn't trade it in on one of the gift card sites. You don't always get to choose your prize when you enter a contest.

Might be good if you have something like a drug store gift card, where they charge higher prices than other stores for everything, although I would just get amazon credit.

#25 joeyshadows

joeyshadows

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:59 AM

Wonder if you can cash in the free gyft gift cards.

#26 io

io

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:14 AM

Some people win gift cards in contests, sometimes for stores they do not have in their location and these stores do not have online stores. Example I won a california pizza gift card, I am in NY, so I would have no use for the card. It would have gone to waste if I didn't trade it in on one of the gift card sites. You don't always get to choose your prize when you enter a contest.

California Pizza Kitchen you mean? They aren't just in California you know.

In fact:

Park Avenue South
440 Park Avenue South
New York, NY 10016

The Shops at Atlas Park
71-03 80th Street
Glendale, NY 11385

Scarsdale
365 Central Park Ave.
Scarsdale, NY 10583

Costco Plaza
1256 Old Country Road
Westbury, NY 11590

Hofstra University
200 Hofstra University
Hempstead , NY 11549

Walt Whitman Mall
160 Route 110
Huntington Station, NY 11746

Smith Haven Mall
618 Smith Haven Mall
Lake Grove, NY 11755

Maybe none of those are near you, but just sayin'... ;)

But yeah, I might look into this for Gamestop credit...

#27 AvidWriter

AvidWriter

The Fictioner

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:14 AM

Plastic Jungle that is, you always lose if you do it that way.

#28 lllGurulll

lllGurulll

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:18 AM

Why would you want to make your money worth less?
PSWii60 FTW!!!

#29 wilflare

wilflare

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:32 AM

finally some use for an OfficeMax giftcard...
because A may not sell anything that you want.. or even have sales...
so converting them to B... at a slight loss is better than none at all

Green Man Gaming: Get both of us $2 Credit by signing an account through my referral link HERE and spend $2! :D
Amazon Prime for Students: Sign up HERE

#30 BudzMcGee

BudzMcGee

Clearance Bin Review

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:07 AM

This might get me back into doing those e-reward surveys for Gamestop giftcards...

My video game site ClearanceBinReview.com - The right game for the right price.
300x156xBacklog-Quest-II-300x156.jpg.pag
Want to write reviews of iPhone and XBLIG's and get FREE games for doing so? We are looking for writers! Go HERE.

Sign up for Shopkick and get free Best Buy and Target gift cards for free! Sign up through here (referral) for 50 bonus kicks!