Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

http://www.newegg.co...VirtualParent=1

I'll wait for target since I have a raincheck

#2 MaximusDM

MaximusDM

What is a man!?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

Says OOS on my screen. Gone is 4 minutes?

#3 SgtWiggles

SgtWiggles

Artist formally known as dgwillia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

Pretty sure both Targets and GS employees confirmed its discontinued. Newegg is probably your last chance outside of lucking out at a retailer

#4 Ferrari Racer

Ferrari Racer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

I saw 4 at my local Meijer the other day

#5 bangsta

bangsta

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

I saw 4 at my local Meijer the other day

which one was that? one by my place in A2 was gone in the afternoon..

#6 wasabi5858

wasabi5858

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

I suspect most all of the inventory you will see lately will be a few unit that gets return as people get some of their other orders filled/price matched etc and returning their "safety" unit here and there.

#7 ps2emotions

ps2emotions

8 bit heaven

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

Out of stock. This thing is going to be extremely rare and I think was limited to probably no more than 20,000 units judging by each of the 3 chains carrying them just got 3-4 units. The serial numbers I've seen are really close as well which only confirms this to me.

#8 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

Out of stock. This thing is going to be extremely rare and I think was limited to probably no more than 20,000 units judging by each of the 3 chains carrying them just got 3-4 units. The serial numbers I've seen are really close as well which only confirms this to me.

I would say more then 20,000

I mean there are several thousand Walmart stores alone. Combine that with Target, Toys R Us and Gamestop locations (subtract several hundred for locations that MAY have gotten zero) and then add a few more thousand for online sales and smaller retailers like PC Richards, Newegg and HHGreg and I think you are looking at closer to 50,000.

We'd still be seeing these at retailers if they didn't release at $159.99 at Target and $179.99 with $20GC at Toys R Us essentially making them the same price at Walmart and other retailers that Price Match.

Edit: I mean imagine if Microsoft released a limited Edition "OMG FANBOI" 4GB console and released it at 20% less then MSRP ($159.99) for the first week at two of the four major retailers. That would be gone immediately too.

#9 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

I would say more then 20,000

I mean there are several thousand Walmart stores alone. Combine that with Target, Toys R Us and Gamestop locations (subtract several hundred for locations that MAY have gotten zero) and then add a few more thousand for online sales and smaller retailers like PC Richards, Newegg and HHGreg and I think you are looking at closer to 50,000.

We'd still be seeing these at retailers if they didn't release at $159.99 at Target and $179.99 with $20GC at Toys R Us essentially making them the same price at Walmart and other retailers that Price Match.

Edit: I mean imagine if Microsoft released a limited Edition "OMG FANBOI" 4GB console and released it at 20% less then MSRP ($159.99) for the first week at two of the four major retailers. That would be gone immediately too.

Possible, but I think you're overlooking a BUNCH of factors...

1) The Pikachu 3DS XL sold out in other regions very quickly, so people saw it as an easy way to make a quick buck / it was going to be rare.
2) This is the first unique XL (to my knowledge) in the US and we rarely get them, so beggers can't be choosers.
3) Club Nintendo promo with a free game.
4) Monster Hunter / Luigi's Mansion both recently released on the 3DS, with Project X Zone, Pokemon and more in the future. These titles generated more hype than you would have saw prior.
5) The Xbox is on the way out, so it's a FAR harder sell.
6) The always on 720 rumors have people iffy about staying with M$.
7) Even if they were to do a limited edition xbox, it would get less hype for being 4GB, even if it was $159. This is why all of the special editions (to my knowledge) have been fancier / higher end models.

No doubt the price point had a huge impact on the choice to buy the system, but I wouldn't say you would see the same thing happen if another company did the same thing.

so admiralvic is one of 7 people who has platted lost planet 2. and one of 4 people with 100% on spelunker hd. respect him even more

guys, you are talking to admiralvic about trophy acquisition, he is the exception.

#10 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

Possible, but I think you're overlooking a BUNCH of factors...

1) The Pikachu 3DS XL sold out in other regions very quickly, so people saw it as an easy way to make a quick buck / it was going to be rare.
2) This is the first unique XL (to my knowledge) in the US and we rarely get them, so beggers can't be choosers.
3) Club Nintendo promo with a free game.
4) Monster Hunter / Luigi's Mansion both recently released on the 3DS, with Project X Zone, Pokemon and more in the future. These titles generated more hype than you would have saw prior.
5) The Xbox is on the way out, so it's a FAR harder sell.
6) The always on 720 rumors have people iffy about staying with M$.
7) Even if they were to do a limited edition xbox, it would get less hype for being 4GB, even if it was $159. This is why all of the special editions (to my knowledge) have been fancier / higher end models.

No doubt the price point had a huge impact on the choice to buy the system, but I wouldn't say you would see the same thing happen if another company did the same thing.

Stop with analyzing my Xbox comaprison. I'd be far more interested for you to throw out a print number.

Would you say it was closer to 20,000 or 50,000?

keeping in mind their are 4,000 walmart and several thousand Targets, Gamestops, Toys R Us stores not to mention online inventory.

#11 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

Stop with analyzing my Xbox comaprison. I'd be far more interested for you to throw out a print number.

Would you say it was closer to 20,000 or 50,000?

keeping in mind their are 4,000 walmart and several thousand Targets, Gamestops, Toys R Us stores not to mention online inventory.

I was thinking around 65,000 (or round down to 50,000 if you want) myself. I have no clue where @ps2emotions came up with 20,000, but logically way more than that were sent out. Between Target, Newegg, Gamestop, TRU, Walmart, Meijers (some reports / I saw a tag for them), Nintendo store, PAX and a few smaller retailers, it is just way too low of a number to make any sort of sense.

so admiralvic is one of 7 people who has platted lost planet 2. and one of 4 people with 100% on spelunker hd. respect him even more

guys, you are talking to admiralvic about trophy acquisition, he is the exception.

#12 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

I was thinking around 65,000 (or round down to 50,000 if you want) myself. I have no clue where @ps2emotions came up with 20,000, but logically way more than that were sent out. Between Target, Newegg, Gamestop, TRU, Walmart, Meijers (some reports / I saw a tag for them), Nintendo store, PAX and a few smaller retailers, it is just way too low of a number to make any sort of sense.

I agree with you in regards to sales. Even at full force I don't think Sony or Microsoft could put out a LE console that could even compete with Nintendo in regards to sales.

Many factors would come into play but I just don't see it happening. The two latest, and perhaps most hyped MS LE consoles (Star Wars and Halo 4) sold well I'm sure but nothing compared to what Nintendo does.

And Sony would be a distant third.

But I was going to guess 50-60,000 which all things considered is still a small print run.

#13 ps2emotions

ps2emotions

8 bit heaven

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

I still think closer to 20,000 especially considering the serial numbers of all the units I've seen starts with 128 and the two I've seen was like 4,000 apart serial number wise. Not only this but as many of these that scalpers got hold of there are only 200-250 ebay auctions with them just being out less than 2 weeks. I even read somewhere where a target employee said 5,000 were made but I think there has to be more than that. Walmart most likely got more than other retailers since there are so many walmart stores. Tumblr has a page dedicated to those who was lucky enough to get one and lots on there had to drive to several stores before finding one. You guys may be right though but I'd be surprised if there were more than 100,000 of these released in the U.S. which is a very small number considering this would only be 2,000 per state. I'd like to find out how many sold in Japan with it's 160 million population this might give an idea of how many sold here in the states.

#14 247

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

Ive seen a few with serial number starting with 126. I think about 55,000 to 60,000.

#15 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

Its easier to buy a second handheld, especially one with a strong lineup of games in the very near future. Some households may have one handheld, and a 2 child household, for this type of family picking up a second handheld that is a limited edition at a reduced price makes sense. Also this may have been the nudge some people needed to upgrade their regular 3DS to an XL.

#16 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

I still think closer to 20,000 especially considering the serial numbers of all the units I've seen starts with 128 and the two I've seen was like 4,000 apart serial number wise. Not only this but as many of these that scalpers got hold of there are only 200-250 ebay auctions with them just being out less than 2 weeks. I even read somewhere where a target employee said 5,000 were made but I think there has to be more than that. Walmart most likely got more than other retailers since there are so many walmart stores. Tumblr has a page dedicated to those who was lucky enough to get one and lots on there had to drive to several stores before finding one. You guys may be right though but I'd be surprised if there were more than 100,000 of these released in the U.S. which is a very small number considering this would only be 2,000 per state. I'd like to find out how many sold in Japan with it's 160 million population this might give an idea of how many sold here in the states.

The issue is that it just doesn't logically make sense...

Just some quick google number of locations...

Target - 1,763
Gamestop - 6,627
Walmart - 4,017
Meijers "200+"
total = roughly 12,607 locations total.

Assuming every location got 2 systems (I don't recall many [perhaps late / stupid person] locations saying they never got them, so lets assume they all did. Also some people reported some locations getting 3 systems, but again lets keep it simple with just 2), then the total systems out there is no less than 25,214 total. Now this figure does NOT include whatever stock Pax had, Newegg had, aforementioned retailers sold online, Nintendo's store had or another niche store selling them like H.H.greg (another 208 locations or 416 systems assuming they got 2 also), so you can start to see where 20,000 just seems illogical. I am all for the system being rare (I mean I have one, so I rather there be less), but it just isn't mathematically feasible, ya know?

#17 mikkoxB

mikkoxB

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

^^you forgot toys r us

#18 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

^^you forgot toys r us

That I did ^^;;, which is another 800+ or 1,600 systems.

#19 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:34 AM

I agree! Rarer than the rares rare, super rare, triple rare, CareBear flare RARE! Nintendo told me there were 10-15,000 released in the US and to tell everyone to buy however many they can!

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#20 Alex121006

Alex121006

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:56 AM

if people are buying this because it's rare i understand, its somthing to put away and dont ever open up the box. but other then that, i cant see why a grown man would want to buy somthing that, i think only a 5 year old little girl would want. and its also butt ugly.
but thats just my opinion.

#21 b3b0p

b3b0p

Where's r0ckst34dy?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:08 AM

Speculating and stating numbers without sources make you all read like dumbasses. Who the Fuck cares? And relying on employees for such information, are you all that gullible? They know no more than you. Probably less.

#22 Serpentor

Serpentor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:27 AM

Allow me to pour some cold water on this... It doesn't matter how rare this 3DS XL is, it's just a cover, there are tons of customizable covers. It all comes down to your passion, if you like Pokemon, that's good enough. Don't argue with rarity or not, it shouldn't be your concern. If you purchase it because you THINK it's rare, well, good luck. To me, if there's more than a hundred, it's not rare, let along there's a thousand...

#23 ps2emotions

ps2emotions

8 bit heaven

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:05 AM

Allow me to pour some cold water on this... It doesn't matter how rare this 3DS XL is, it's just a cover, there are tons of customizable covers. It all comes down to your passion, if you like Pokemon, that's good enough. Don't argue with rarity or not, it shouldn't be your concern. If you purchase it because you THINK it's rare, well, good luck. To me, if there's more than a hundred, it's not rare, let along there's a thousand...

It's actually not just a cover but painted which puts it in a whole other league of quality just like the red painted letters on the front of the NES.

#24 Stellar Inertia

Stellar Inertia

Completionist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:03 AM

I agree with you. Who cares if its rare or not? If you do then you probably want to rip someone off in the future by flipping it. Personally I thought it was not very appealing so I grabbed a blue XL. Wish there was a solid black. In the end I hope people who intend to profit off this end up getting screwed because it ends up being not as rare as it seems.

512847.png

#25 .Virus

.Virus

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:46 AM

I agree with you. Who cares if its rare or not? If you do then you probably want to rip someone off in the future by flipping it. Personally I thought it was not very appealing so I grabbed a blue XL. Wish there was a solid black. In the end I hope people who intend to profit off this end up getting screwed because it ends up being not as rare as it seems.

the only ones getting screwed are the ones buying its for $250+ from flips... now they are IDIOTS. :booty: :booty: :booty:

#26 Stellar Inertia

Stellar Inertia

Completionist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:04 AM

the only ones getting screwed are the ones buying its for $250+ from flips... now they are IDIOTS. :booty: :booty: :booty:

Now this is true.

512847.png

#27 SgtWiggles

SgtWiggles

Artist formally known as dgwillia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:19 AM

Loving mine, got my free game, but the wifi at my cousins is too dodgy to risk a transfer.

Also noticed a tiny scuff on the screen, but it isn't noticeable.

#28 DukToonz

DukToonz

CAG Newbie

• CAG in Training

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

if people are buying this because it's rare i understand, its somthing to put away and dont ever open up the box. but other then that, i cant see why a grown man would want to buy somthing that, i think only a 5 year old little girl would want. and its also butt ugly.
but thats just my opinion.

:D I'm not a 5 year old little girl. I'm a grown (old) man. :oldman: ;)

My reason for buying this was mainly because I like Pokemon. I've been playing since the late 90s, and I even own the Pokemon Gameboy Color Edition. Just like this 3DS XL, I had no intentions of even buying the Gameboy Color until they came out with a special version. I was quite happy with my Gameboy Pocket at the time. And I'm still quite happy with my DS Lite. But I will say there wasn't a chance in hell I was gonna pay a scalper for this thing. Had I not found one at a Wal-Mart, I woulda just moved on with my life.

So, is buying this thing silly of me? Perhaps. But it makes me happy, and that's pretty much the point of gaming in the first place, isn't it. :D

#29 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

So, is buying this thing silly of me?

It's only silly if YOU think it is. Anything else is TRASH.

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#30 Abeja

Abeja

CAG with No Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

I mean I got 2 extra and Id sell to you guys on here but you gotta be realistic about it.