• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

UPDATE:

Earthbound is now out on the Wii U VC for $10.

Nintendo has released a Wii U optimized version of the Original Strategy Guide: http://earthbound.ni...m/playersguide/

Download the PDF: http://cdn02.nintend...ersGuide_EN.pdf

Credit: neogaf

Skip to 19:00 min in.

Edit: Strell Approves: http://www.cheapassg...&postcount=3051

Edited by foltzie, 18 July 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#2 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

Does this mean the price of earthbound copies will level off?

#3 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

Might see some correction, but given the nature of that fan base they may well still like to hold a physical copy and keep the numbers high.

Especially for the complete package.

#4 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

System seller !!

#5 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

Damnit just when I decided not to buy a Wii U!

#6 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Viva Hate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

And it's not coming to regular Wii Virtual Console, why? :(

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#7 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

Because they want you to buy a $300 system.

Good marketing.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#8 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Viva Hate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

Because they want you to buy a $300 system.

Yeah... no. This is only a system seller for an extremely tiny group of vocal internet diehards. Would have happily paid $9 for a Wii VC version though!

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#9 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

I doubt it... If anything it may get a slight temporary increase as a result of the excitement.
Posted Image

#10 argyle

argyle

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

I missed this game back in the day, so I'll have to grab this & see what all the fuss is about. :)
Posted Image

#11 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

Yeah... no. This is only a system seller for an extremely tiny group of vocal internet diehards. Would have happily paid $9 for a Wii VC version though!

It's a seller for me. I'm still waiting for a price drop though. Now I need my thread reopened...

#12 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

Strell! Strell! Where's strell?!

found him :)

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 sleepydumbdude

sleepydumbdude

MASHED POTATOES!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

lol exactly what I was wondering. I will get a wiiU eventually and this game on it but I've waited this long for the game to be rereleased so I can wait for more wiiu price drops.

#14 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

I think some people will buy a Wii U just for this...

Maybe I"ll bite

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#15 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

It's not like a digital copy of the game is that hard to come by.

#16 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

Sweet mother of god...

I doubt it... If anything it may get a slight temporary increase as a result of the excitement.

Yeah... this part is gonna suck since I still want a complete in box original copy. SNES games have been climbing like crazy lately and these re-releases usually result in increases rather than declines in value.

Currently playing:
:psp: Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - :) :bomb:

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#17 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

However I have to credit the internet diehards' miiverse campaign (and nintendo for listening) and hope they get Nintendo to put out more stuff

#18 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

However I have to credit the internet diehards' miiverse campaign (and nintendo for listening) and hope they get Nintendo to put out more stuff

Miiverse get cracking on Mother and Mother 3!

#19 TrumpetDan

TrumpetDan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

Great news! I still have my SNES copy that I pop in every now and then, but I'm happy to have a version to play on the gamepad, and to recommend to more gamers.

Miiverse get cracking on Mother and Mother 3!

Yes, please!

#20 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

Thank you God!

#21 paddlefoot

paddlefoot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

Still need to find my complete in box copy. Might be time to increase the bounty.

#22 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

Great news, but to claim that a port of an 18 year old game which will likely be edited substantially for copyright reasons, is enough to compell you to purchase a $300 console you would otherwise have no interest in, is downright silly.

#23 Rollobobo

Rollobobo

EAT SHIITAKE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

Did they come out and say that it is NOT going to be on the Wii Virtual console?!? Or is this just speculation?

#24 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

Great news, but to claim that a port of an 18 year old game which will likely be edited substantially for copyright reasons, is enough to compell you to purchase a $300 console you would otherwise have no interest in, is downright silly.

I wonder how much, if anything, will be edited. Years back, a CAG explained to me why Earthbound would never be re-released in its original form due to copy right issues. As it stands, parts of Earthbound were changed when it was localized, due to copyrights.

TBH, I don't care though... I'm just happy the game will get another shot in the west.

Currently playing:
:psp: Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - :) :bomb:

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#25 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:34 AM

Did they come out and say that it is NOT going to be on the Wii Virtual console?!? Or is this just speculation?

They neither C or D'ed it for Wii VC, though I'm guessing if they do decided to do dual release, they would still put the focus on the Wii U VC version.

And I think there is still a fair bit of coding / emulation difference, especially for Off TV play, that they will probably use that as a justification to not have it on the Wii.

Personally I think it would be fitting to have it be the last great Wii VC game to come out, but I don't think that'll be the case. Still saving 800-1000 Wii shop points for it just in case...

#26 Rollobobo

Rollobobo

EAT SHIITAKE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:50 AM

They neither C or D'ed it for Wii VC, though I'm guessing if they do decided to do dual release, they would still put the focus on the Wii U VC version.

And I think there is still a fair bit of coding / emulation difference, especially for Off TV play, that they will probably use that as a justification to not have it on the Wii.

Personally I think it would be fitting to have it be the last great Wii VC game to come out, but I don't think that'll be the case. Still saving 800-1000 Wii shop points for it just in case...

I agree. I really hope Nintendo still supports the Wii Virtual Console for a bit more...and Earthbound would certainly be an excellent final game for it. DO IT NINTENDO!!!!!

#27 roger watersmelon

roger watersmelon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

Great news, I'll definitely get it once I eventually pick up a WiiU. It's not enough to make me buy the system at its current price point though.

I don't expect much of a drop in physical prices. That would only happen if there was a sudden flood of copies available, or an extremem drop off in interest. I don't think a VC release is going to add significant numbers to either of those categories.

#28 rocky435

rocky435

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

Hopefully nintendo offers a PDF of the players guide since it was bundled with the game when it came out. Correct if I'm wrong but isn't the guide needed to better play earthbound?

#29 Action!

Action!

Animatah.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

Hopefully nintendo offers a PDF of the players guide since it was bundled with the game when it came out. Correct if I'm wrong but isn't the guide needed to better play earthbound?

As with most games, it's helpful, but certainly not necessary.

#30 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

Not really. If you never explore dungeons and just rush to the boss you'll miss a lot of items but you can always backtrack... that's all the guide really has, maps.

3DS Friend code - 1418-6866-3699