CAGcast #321: Private Podcast Experience

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:37 AM

The CAGcast crew engage in a lot of nerdy comic book talk, followed by nerdy video game talk. Also, naked men.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

Download (1 hour 15 minutes) - iTunes
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Price is Right remix by gagnonbaby10 / Superman II

Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Edited by CheapyD, 19 April 2013 - 06:51 AM.

#2 Thevoiceinyourhead

Thevoiceinyourhead

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:56 AM

My CAGcast sense was tingling!

#3 Feddan

Feddan

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

You're right about naked guys Cheapy. In my experience it's mainly old dudes. My guess is that they are either too old to care or do it just to mess with people.

#4 paintball745

paintball745

PHD in deals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

At least Thorbon has friends... :(

#5 kupomogli

kupomogli

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

Wombat. Since "Deal With It" seems a lot more popular of a phrase on the internet now, jokingly make a comment to your wife about saving the money and she'll have to drive the van the way it is, and then, "Deal With It."

No one got hurt so she should see the humor in it.

#6 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

Can't wait to listen!

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#7 pofigster

pofigster

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

Long time lurker/listener, first time poster. I love the show, thanks guys!
Cheapy - about your iPad. My son dropped our iPad 2 and the backlight went out. If I shone a bright light on the screen, I could tell the LCD pixels were working so the iPad was functional but unuseable. I listed it on ebay to sell it as broken and when it sold, I plugged it into my computer and used iTunes to install the system image to do a factory reset. When it rebooted post installation, the backlight worked. Still had to ship it to the buyer because they wouldn't let me cancel the sale (which sucked, but whatever), but it was functional. Thought I'd pass it along to see if helps you.

#8 Kerig

Kerig

Brown Thursday = $149 Zelda 3DSXL!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

^ That's interesting, not sure if:

Dropped so hard you broke the software
or
Apple does such good programming, the software can fix the hardware.

Also: you should have kept your iPad, no need to send out a working one when you were only listing it because it didn't work. It seems worth a negative feedback at worst. (then leave a comment under feedback saying "item began magically working again!)

:3ds: 1607-3007-9618

cag%20kerig.png

#9 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

Wombat, I think localization at Nintendo depends on the type of game it is. For huge games with lots of text like Pokemon and Animal Crossing, of course it'll take a while. Mario and Zelda, on the other hand can easily be localized since there's so much less text.

The wait sucks, but with the next Pokemon, they did say they're trying to localize the games at the same time. Maybe Nintendo can learn from this experience to see how they can make their text-heavier games more readily available in English, or hire more Western Developers.

Batsugunner.png

#10 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

Superman Returns is pretty awful, mainly because Kevin Spacey played Luthor so campy and his end game plan for the movie was INCREDIBLY stupid.

If you listen to some of the behind the scenes extras on the Justice League DVDs, they mention that toning down the Green Lantern stuff is a conscious choice. Why would you expend the energy forming a giant, slow boxing glove to punch an enemy when it is so much more efficient to just zap them with a light speed laser? Near the end of the series they become a little more free with the constructs.

Guardian_owl.png

#11 steverl22

steverl22

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

I just watched the jaffe video.....the guy is right on so many levels! Check it out and let us know what you think cheapy and crew.

548012.png

#12 Icedus

Icedus

Starpointer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

I'm curious about that downloads-only Xbox 360. I've got no regrets about going the PS3 route, but I can't pretend I don't look on with teary eyes whenever a sweet-looking downloadable game stays exclusive to the other side of the fence.

This episode brought some joy to my miserable truck driver day, and I eagerly look forward to hearing about Wombat's hands-on with
Spoiler

#13 BetaDemo

BetaDemo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

@Wombat

I understand you disagree with Orson Scott Card's political position. That said, Ender's Game is a great book and--in the right hands--should make a really, really, good movie. From what I remember (it has been a few years since I read it) the novel doesn't contain any material promoting Orson's political views. So saying you refuse to watch the film because of the author's politics exposes your own intolerance. I doubt--very much--that the people in Hollywood who are working on the film share the politics of the author of the source material. This is America and in my honest opinion if more Americans are tolerant of the fact that not everyone else feels, thinks and believes the same things as everyone else; we--as a nation--will be that much stronger for it.

#14 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

@Wombat

I understand you disagree with Orson Scott Card's political position. That said, Ender's Game is a great book and--in the right hands--should make a really, really, good movie. From what I remember (it has been a few years since I read it) the novel doesn't contain any material promoting Orson's political views. So saying you refuse to watch the film because of the author's politics exposes your own intolerance. I doubt--very much--that the people in Hollywood who are working on the film share the politics of the author of the source material. This is America and in my honest opinion if more Americans are tolerant of the fact that not everyone else feels, thinks and believes the same things as everyone else; we--as a nation--will be that much stronger for it.

He is bigot that I would prefer not to support. I do not need to tolerate hate, no one should.

This has nothing to do with politics, there are lots of people who I disagree with politically and respect.

#15 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

Show Notes:

01:00 David Jaffe
02:00 Mrs Wombat's car accident
03:00 Cheapy's problems at the gym
08:30 Show feedback
08:30 - Recommending the show
10:00 - Electronic device repairs
13:00 Watch This
13:00 - Total Recall
15:15 - Superman trailer
18:00 New Releases
18:00 - Injustice / Preorder bonuses
24:45 - Dishonored DLC
25:00 - Pandora's Tower
25:15 - Sacred citadel
30:00 - Dragon Fantasy Book 1
31:00 CAG Voting begins
32:00 CAG 3.0 - 4/29
38:00 Capcom troubles
40:15 NPD's
40:45 Bioshock Infinite
45:15 3DS stuff, impressions new Zelda, etc
48:00 Nintendo, localizing games
58:00 Cagbag
58:00 - Do pc's cause less excitement for next gen
59:00 - Ghosts
1:03:30 NHL14
1:01:00 Making money with Cagcast
1:13:00 Wombat's birthday dinner

#16 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

He is bigot that I would prefer not to support. I do not need to tolerate hate, no one should.

This has nothing to do with politics, there are lots of people who I disagree with politically and respect.

Did you play Shadow Complex? Also, pretty funny on the friends comment. All my friends who play video games already know about the cagcast and they say it's not for them so I only had casual friends to refer the podcast to, which I don't want to do. Sorry for the mix up.
My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#17 BetaDemo

BetaDemo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

You make a fair point so I'm curious: do you feel the same way about Mel Gibson and his films?

PS: I admit to knowing little about O.S.C.'s background so I went to the wikipedia for his bio (after your response) and it appears that the filmmakers of Ender's Game are distancing themselves somewhat from the author insomuch that they aren't going to allow him to take part in the promotion of movie adaptation of Ender's Game. I try to judge a work of art based on its own merits but O.S.C. definately has all the markings of a hater.

Edited by BetaDemo, 19 April 2013 - 10:21 PM.

Posted Image

#18 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

Did you play Shadow Complex? Also, pretty funny on the friends comment. All my friends who play video games already know about the cagcast and they say it's not for them so I only had casual friends to refer the podcast to, which I don't want to do. Sorry for the mix up.

I did, but admittedly it was before I really knew who Orson Scoot Card was. Also it was a review code.

If i knew then what I know now, I would have skipped it.

And to Beta Demo: I wish I could still like Mel Gibson, because I love some of his old movies. But it is hard to look past what he has said. On the flip side, Gibson has apologized. Honestly I don't really know, but I have not seen any of his films in maybe a decade.

#19 Horsewarrior of Janjaweed

Horsewarrior of Janjaweed

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

I had to laugh when Cheapy said that because Apple's got an incredulous pricing scheme for storage on closed devices there's no way anything could be reasonably priced. The xbox already supports external storage, why would that disappear with a smaller box?

#20 Doomed

Doomed

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

A rare moment of Wombat clarity in this week's CAGcast. His point on Nintendo's slow translations made perfect sense. American companies are usually pretty quick to put out Japanese translations of their games. Having these Japanese companies give their games the same reach around the globe is only fair.

Animal Crossing is meant to be played online. It won't have the same buzz if all of the Japanese players are already tired of it in June.

sig.gif

#21 aaronz77

aaronz77

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:23 AM

I am in favor of putting up a paypal donation link for the cagcast. I don't think Cheapy, Ship or Wombat should ever have to pay for a game with as much entertainment as I've received from this podcast.. Come on!? Where else can I hear about poop, pee, naked old men and GrandMa's Caddy all under one proverbial roof!!?

#22 davucini

davucini

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

I am in favor of putting up a paypal donation link for the cagcast. I don't think Cheapy, Ship or Wombat should ever have to pay for a game with as much entertainment as I've received from this podcast.. Come on!? Where else can I hear about poop, pee, naked old men and GrandMa's Caddy all under one proverbial roof!!?

A proctology podcast hosted by octogenarians.
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life

#23 buttle

buttle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:53 AM

You guys are insane if you think a price drop with the Wii U is the right move. Until some games come out and until the next playstation and xbox launch, any move would be premature. And you guys keep complaining about how Nintendo does their business but financially they've always done better than the other two. Maybe that'll be different this round. But it is definitely too early to say.
mario kart wii 5069-4324-7830 (jeffrie)
animal crossing: city folk 4983-8436-5006 (buttle), (tomato) town

#24 warmonked

warmonked

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:34 AM

wasn't the Superman / Capt. Marvel fight in that JLU episode part of the setup to the over-arcing season plot? It was part of the discrediting of the JL, I thought.

Anyway. Yeah Orson Scott Card is a douche. And I thought Ender's Game was horrible even before I knew he was a douche.

#25 meager

meager

mooseknuckle?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:52 AM

In the comics, is Captain Marvel now called Shazam like he is in Injustice? Wouldn't he revert back to Billy everytime he introduced himself (Or just casually sidestep the lightning bolt... sigh)?

And since you guys have apparently seen everything in the DC animated universe, can you tell me if they've adapted Identity Crisis, or at least the Batman's memory story into anything animated?

And...
http://cdnroot.cheap...pictureid=30015

#26 metallicoholic

metallicoholic

Metal 'Til I'm 60

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:10 AM

It's good to see that Wombat bought Injustice (according to his Twitter), and what's that, a Batman figure in the very costume that he despises so much? I know it was free but it made me laugh a bit.

Not sure if you'll answer this on the next show but do you think calling the game "Injustice: Gods Among Us" will hurt sales at all? I know a lot of people rag on the title because it has nothing to do with the content of the game (DC heroes) but I like the title, maybe because I already knew what it was before it came out. I imagine a lot of parents and potential buyers will go to the store looking for something that says "DC Fighting" or "Batman something" and totally miss this game. What do you all think?
Posted Image

#27 thrifty1

thrifty1

Delicious Deal Stacker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

Non existant ipads are the best kind of ipods. I approve.

"oooya i don't give a shit." my thoughts exactly.

Wish i had preordered injustice after checking it out a bit more so i'll be looking for whoever price cuts it first or i'll just wait for them to bundle in the dlc.

If you guys liked golden axe, how psyched are you for dragon's crown? I'm torn though because it won't support cross play so i'll have to decide whether to buy it for ps3 or vita. It looks really good to me.

Playing 3DS games on the Wii U is a dream. It would be great and probably not too hard for them to do, but it won't happen until late in the systems life cycle at least because they want you to buy all of their hardware. I'm not buying a WiiU until I can get a good bundle for $250. I have way too many PS3/Vita games to play for now to care. The best way for us to get a price cut on it is to stop talking about it. Actually if they announced we could play 3ds games on the Wii U, I would buy one tomorrow for $300.

Edited by thrifty1, 20 April 2013 - 08:32 AM.

#28 thrifty1

thrifty1

Delicious Deal Stacker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

Ive got a question for you guys. Do you think the PS4 will require a subscription fee like the 360 later this year? I get the feeling that it definitely will.

So lets say that we suddenly need to pay a monthly fee to use our PS4s. Is that going to be covered by a PS+ subscription? If this was the case I wouldn't mind at all. That would be pretty awesome.

If I was Sony, I would do everything I could to get the console to come in cheaper (around $500 with a game) and make my real profits on a subscription model. Pretty much copy the success of WoW by making it accessible and hooking lots of people monthly. Maybe that's why Activision Blizzard signed on with them. Maybe they get a chunk of that subscription money with games like Diablo and Destiny which are more like services. That was Koticks big complaint with the 360. He was saying Activision didn't get enough of that money with all of the users they generated for Microsofts monthly live fee. I don't trust anything Activision Blizzard is signing on with. I'm sure they're getting paid very well for whatever deal they signed.

I'm getting a free $50 PSn card for signing up for a Playstation credit card sometime this month. I'll have to wait for them to announce their future plans to decide whether or not i'll be using it to sign up for plus or pick up a couple psn games that go on sale. I'm leaning towards plus since I have the vita, but it's going to come down to how worthwhile the program is with the PS4 and if i'll be getting a PS4. Gotta watch out for those hidden costs.

This is pretty much the strategy that the telecom companies sucker people with. Buy a phone for cheap and pay a ton of money over time with the service. It's pretty much the reverse of PC gaming which is drop a TON of money on your machine and get cheaper games.

And really to take advantage of a lot of the PS4 features you're gonna need a good internet connection. I think I should be set with a 24mbps download and 3mbps upload, but even that is freaking expensive here in the US. I'm thinking the PS4 will have really good sales, but they won't hook nearly as many people for their premium services which will require an expensive internet connection. I think the combination of needing an expensive internet connection and additional fees for premium would turn a lot of people off. Hopefully the basic online continues to be free or premium services continue to be covered by plus. If there are additional monthly charges I will have to reconsider next gen. I don't like having monthly bills for anything. No cable here either.

Actually I can almost guarantee you I won't be buying a Ps4 on launch since i'd rather just play lots of GTA V, but i'm curious what you guys think about it.

Edited by thrifty1, 20 April 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#29 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

In the comics, is Captain Marvel now called Shazam like he is in Injustice

Yes. Since the New52 launch. And Marvel's Ms.Marvel is now Captain Marvel.

#30 4est

4est

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

CheapyD just doesn't realize that the heroes have to fight each other in comics / cartoons. Because if they ever actually defeated the villains then the writers would have to come up with new villains. Even in The Avengers spend more time fighting each other than they do the Chitauri.

And that Captain Marvel vs Superman fight won't prepare CheapyD for when / if they make an animated Kingdom Come.