Photo
- - - - -

If the new Xbox is online only, will you buy it?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 SecretPact

SecretPact

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:01 PM

I personally hope they don't make it online only. Thoughts/opinions?

Edit: For those of you who would buy an online-only xbox, what if they blocked used games?

Edited by SecretPact, 03 May 2013 - 07:19 PM.

Check out my blog!
Toys For Grown Ups

#2 Superstar

Superstar

CAG Superstar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

I hope they don't make it online only, but I will still buy it regardless.

#3 MushaOne

MushaOne

etc. and so forth...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

Not likely. It would take an incredible must have couple of titles for me to go back on that one. Online only is pretty much MS saying "Fuck you" to its fanbase. So why would I want to continue being part of that group?

#4 XzMrHitDatHoezX

XzMrHitDatHoezX

Walking Nuke

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

Fuck No!!!!!
Posted Image

#5 burritoman

burritoman

Bounty Hunter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:35 PM

I probably wouldn't buy it anyways, always online or not. I'm just not too thrilled to see Halo 16 and Call of Duty: Turd Combat 8.

3DS Friend Code: 2492-4618-0670 Always looking for new Pokemon!

#6 paddlefoot

paddlefoot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:58 PM

Not at $400

#7 Vap

Vap

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:19 AM

At first no, but the more I think about it, I'll probably get it once it goes on sale or drops in price a few times, or they'll have to have some really awesome looking exclusive that's a new ip, and no that new shooter from the ex IW guys doesn't count for me.

From everything I've seen and heard for next gen, I'm only excited for The Witcher 3 and Theif, which I could easily get on a PS4 or my PC.

#8 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:31 AM

What's up with all these separate threads lately asking one question about the next Xbox? Is Microsoft conducting focus groups on CAG or something?

#9 TimboSliceGB

TimboSliceGB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:17 AM

it will not be online all the time they would lose tons of money

#10 dirtyvu

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:31 AM

most of the latest rumors say it won't be online-required so it's a moot point.

but if in the worst case it is, it doesn't matter. my xbox is always connected. I can't imagine gaming without my friends around. even when I do single player, I'm still in party usually. if it's a game that I want to completely be immersed in the cutscenes and game, then I'll mute everyone but once done, I hop back to the group.

#11 batman1939

batman1939

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:31 AM

No because blah blah blah. (Do you really care?)

#12 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:36 AM

Nope.

Now playing (& watching):
:ps3:-Binary Domain

:dvd:-009-1
:br:-Star Wars: Clone Wars season 3
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#13 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:40 AM

What's up with all these separate threads lately asking one question about the next Xbox? Is Microsoft conducting focus groups on CAG or something?

Please confine your question to a new thread. ;)

No, I won't buy it if it's online only.

#14 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Go Kings!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:45 AM

I won't buy any console that requires an internet connection.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#15 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:47 AM

Nope Nope Nope. And I won't support games that are always online, either, unless they are specifically multiplayer-based like MMO's.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#16 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:18 AM

Yes.
Deal with it.
/meme

#17 Tronny

Tronny

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:39 AM

No.

#18 Noriyuke127

Noriyuke127

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:12 AM

It really takes a serious effort on my part to even want to play online on the xbox because of the fact that you have to pay for that privilege. But i still pay to play online on the xbox 360.

80% of my Gameplay Time is Dedicated Offline (Single Player, Achievement Hunting)

20% of my Gameplay Time is Dedicated Online (Multiplayer, Achievement Hunting)

My Thoughts? No Online only console, would Fuck shit up.
Posted Image

#19 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:12 AM

I'd prefer it not be required to be online, but that alone wouldn't be a deciding factor as I'll always have broadband and it's rare that my internet is out anywhere I've lived--long outages just aren't very common in big cities as high population density areas are at the top of the list for repairs when things go down due to the large number of customers.

If it's online only because used games are blocked etc., then that's a different story and I'd be a lot less likely to buy.

That said, I think all this worry will be much ado about nothing. There's too much of the country that still lacks decent broad band access (i.e. not counting shitty satellite internet) for them to require always on connections right now.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#20 Vap

Vap

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:24 AM

I'd prefer it not be required to be online, but that alone wouldn't be a deciding factor as I'll always have broadband and it's rare that my internet is out anywhere I've lived--long outages just aren't very common in big cities as high population density areas are at the top of the list for repairs when things go down due to the large number of customers.

If it's online only because used games are blocked etc., then that's a different story and I'd be a lot less likely to buy.

That said, I think all this worry will be much ado about nothing. There's too much of the country that still lacks decent broad band access (i.e. not counting shitty satellite internet) for them to require always on connections right now.

Oh I forgot about the blocked used games rumor. If that's one of the reasons it'll be online only then I'll never buy the system, regardless of how cheap itll ever be.

#21 006 Gates

006 Gates

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:27 AM

No, I only play single player games off-line. Yet, I do buy a lot of dlc and indie games, which is the only time I go on-line. Although I'm a sucker for new tech, I just can't justify condoning Microsoft's "control" issues if it proves to be true.

#22 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:55 AM

Here we go again.

Xbox is a global target, they wouldn't alienate countries like that. Some services will require Live but yeah not to game man.

N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.

Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D  Watch Dogs, Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Witcher 3
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2908-9378

#23 Sycowulf

Sycowulf

Somewhat Damaged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:59 AM

I wouldn't either, just for the simple reason that if I get insanely popular game X on launch day, I don't want to be blocked out of playing it when MS's servers decide to take a shit... I put up with that enough with some PC games anymore.

#24 Kevlar281

Kevlar281

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:42 AM

I have auto-sign-in set so the thought of always being online doesn't really bother me but I like to play Dig Dug when my internet gets knocked out. It would be pretty lame if I couldn't play a game offline because I didn't have an internet connection.

#25 DurbanBrown

DurbanBrown

to the MOON

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

i will

Zombies-Sig.jpg

last.fm: shroomer1999                                                                  Designed By Lilchiji

#26 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Viva Hate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

I hope they don't make it online only, but I will still buy it regardless.

This. Being always online won't affect me personally-- my Xbox is always online anyway-- but I think it's a big mistake that will reduce the popularity and success of the console, and that will affect me.

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#27 sdoxas

sdoxas

CAG Elite General

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

Probably not. Definitely not the first year. $500? Boy, you crazy.

A piece of hardware that will 100% not function without an internet connection is beyond stupid. I can't be a part of that.

Oh, and if this will not play used games, I will DEFINITELY not buy it. Ever... New games would have to cost $20, for that to happen.

#28 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

It's not going to be always online. It will require an internet connection at setup and each account will have to be an Xbox Live (Silver or Gold) account (i.e. no "offline"-only accounts), however it will not require you to be online to play it. You heard it here first. :)

Having said that, at Xmas their servers will crash and everyone will be pissed off when they can't set up their console. LOL!

And yes, I'm just speculating, but I do highly doubt it will be "always online".
Posted Image

#29 menikmati

menikmati

Isolation, self-damnation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

If the games interest me, then yes. My consoles are always online and I have a stable connection.

#30 SecretPact

SecretPact

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

Someone here brought up a good point: what if they use online-only to block used games? About 70% of my games are used, so that would definitely be a no-go for me.
Check out my blog!
Toys For Grown Ups