Photo
- - - - -

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night $9.99 @ Blockbuster (Brand New)

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 savestheday888

savestheday888

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:50 PM

I was browsing the games at a local Blockbuster, one without a Game Rush. I found a brand new copy of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night marked $14.99. I've been looking at this game on Ebay, and noticed that it sells used for around $15, without shipping, and around $20 brand new. I figured, what the heck? I can't pass up a sealed copy. To make a long story short, when the clerk rang the game up, it came up at $9.99 + tax. In case someone was looking for an awesome ps1 game, brand new ,and for a cheap price, check out your local Blockbuster (or Game Rush).

#2 BIG5

BIG5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:04 AM

I've actually been tempted to grab the copy at my BB even though I already have the game. Is that weird?

#3 GTmaster39

GTmaster39

Wes Wes Ya'll

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:09 AM

I was browsing the games at a local Blockbuster, one without a Game Rush. I found a brand new copy of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night marked $14.99. I've been looking at this game on Ebay, and noticed that it sells used for around $15, without shipping, and around $20 brand new. I figured, what the heck? I can't pass up a sealed copy. To make a long story short, when the clerk rang the game up, it came up at $9.99 + tax. In case someone was looking for an awesome ps1 game, brand new ,and for a cheap price, check out your local Blockbuster (or Game Rush).

Your not mentioning the fact that you picked up a Greatest Hits version, those things are a dime a dozen. If it was a black labeled one, then I might have said something more meaningful.
Posted Image
Support NGAME.TV / Made a permanent switch to Ubuntu...Feels Good Man.

#4 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:09 AM

I've actually been tempted to grab the copy at my BB even though I already have the game. Is that weird?

yes

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#5 AdamInPlaidum

AdamInPlaidum

Wii will rock you.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:20 AM

This one has been covered rather extensively. Still a great deal, though. It almost makes me want to buy two copies!
Currently playing: Viewtiful Joe (DS), Trace Memory (DS), Pokemon Emerald (GBA), Astro Boy (GBA)

#6 loserboy

loserboy

The Cubs STILL suck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:24 AM

Well, you get about $12.00 trade in with the 40% bonus at Gamestop. So if you see four, pick them up and make a whopping 8 dollar profit.

#7 illennium

illennium

Systems Analyst

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:04 AM

Your not mentioning the fact that you picked up a Greatest Hits version, those things are a dime a dozen. If it was a black labeled one, then I might have said something more meaningful.

Is there a difference to anyone who's not a total nerd, i.e., is the game content any different?

#8 TheRaven

TheRaven

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:09 AM

Where can you get a sealed GH hits version for a cheaper price?
Playing: Rainbow Six: Vegas, FFXII & Phoenix Wright

#9 Mythik

Mythik

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:20 AM

Is there a difference to anyone who's not a total nerd, i.e., is the game content any different?

Some people collect Video games, and verision means a lot.

#10 Scarface7

Scarface7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:30 AM

Anyone willing to pick me up a copy? Let me know and we'll work something out.
Posted Image
Sig courtesy of OTM.

#11 Aleryn

Aleryn

CheapassSinceGradeSchool

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:41 AM

Oh hell no. I saw two copies at Costco one day and snagged 'em both ($14 a piece). Even though I've had a copy of the game since 1997. Best non-rpg on the entirety of the PS1 IMO. Only downside is it could use a HARD mode.

#12 OldTime

OldTime

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:44 AM

Yes, because we all know you are joe cool.:roll:
Posted Image

#13 tdphillips

tdphillips

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:10 AM

Anyone willing to pick me up a copy? Let me know and we'll work something out.

I may be able to. I'll PM you if I can find one.
Safety Not Guaranteed.

#14 savestheday888

savestheday888

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:14 AM

Yeah, I wish it wasn't the greatest hits version. That green bar on the side of the case is really killing me. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight.

#15 tdphillips

tdphillips

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:27 AM

Yeah, I wish it wasn't the greatest hits version. That green bar on the side of the case is really killing me. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight.

*hugs and caresses non GH version, along with rare BradyGames strategy guide*
Safety Not Guaranteed.

#16 savestheday888

savestheday888

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 04:32 AM

*hugs and caresses non GH version, along with rare BradyGames strategy guide*

Thinking about that strategy guide is making me crazy. I don't think I'll be able to live without that rare compilation of shiny pictures, and information that I can find on the internet for free....if need be.

#17 ratedpeej

ratedpeej

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:08 AM

The Sarcasm is strong with these ones

hahaha i love it though, funny stuff

But yeah, I never saw much use for collecting videogames. On the same token, I stare in awe at some people's MASSIVE collections. But still, I bought the GH version of this game ages ago and it didn't sully it for me one bit. I say if you haven't played this game yet, $15 is an ABSOLUTE STEAL!!! I played it a couple of months ago... It still holds up as one of the greater games of all time, in my book. And yes greater, not greatest. I figured "greater" was more flame retardant.

#18 Sulmona

Sulmona

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 06:01 AM

if you can get a bunch of them u can sell them on ebay for $25 apiece, i got like 6 of them at two blockbusters awhile ago so i netted like $90 for virtually no work.

#19 Scarface7

Scarface7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:15 AM

I may be able to. I'll PM you if I can find one.

That'd be awesome. :-)
Posted Image
Sig courtesy of OTM.

#20 radjago

radjago

Long-time CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:23 AM

I've seen these locally at Blockbuster as well. Most were GH, IIRC. If anyone wants me to pick one up, PM me and we'll work it out.

#21 MaxBiaggi2

MaxBiaggi2

Assistant Produce Manager

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:33 PM

No, the only difference is packaging. If you can handle the green stripe on the Greatest Hits version, you might as well get the game new for less. Some people would rather pay more for a copy without the green stripe.

#22 urzishra14

urzishra14

Who are you? I'm Batman.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:47 PM

the GH packaging never bothered me that much.. i personally like the xbox version the platinum packaging better.. at least it doesn't look totally retarded.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:58 PM

I have plenty of first-edition games, but seriously, people are crazy about not buying games with the GH logo... it's ridiculous.

#24 MaxBiaggi2

MaxBiaggi2

Assistant Produce Manager

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:35 PM

I should mention that the Greatest Hits packaging for Castlevania: Symphony of the Night does more than add a green stripe to the case inserts. Where the original disc has color artwork of Alucard on one side, the Greatest Hits version disc is simply silver in color with black lettering. It's a striking visual and aesthetic difference when you compare the two discs side to side, but the game itself remains exactly the same in both versions.

#25 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:41 PM

I have plenty of first-edition games, but seriously, people are crazy about not buying games with the GH logo... it's ridiculous.

I agree.

#26 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 04:18 PM

IF you ask me both the GH and black strip cover look like crap compare to the Japanese cover

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#27 Zoglog

Zoglog

Blogging = AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:08 PM

Dunno, I just think he was trying to be an elitist prick =p.

#28 zman73

zman73

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:11 PM

Picked this one up a while back, loved it... if your BB has this... get it... to heck with the damn packaging... as long as it HAS it I am cool... since I buy these games for myself
"...and I was so anxious to get out of bed I stepped on her face"
from Beyond the Valley of the Dolls

Coming to you from the home of Mardi Gras... Mobile Alabama
http://mardigras.new...m/history.shtml

http://gulfcoastrunn...ace=mcm&yr=2008
November 29 2008... my first marathon... 26.2 miles of hell

#29 nakanenui

nakanenui

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:25 PM

has anyone seen these in store anywhere in los angeles. i tried the bb website, but it isnt allowing the search stores near me option.
NowPlaying: BF3, RFG, Disgaea3
Latest Plat: Lego HP 1-4

#30 radjago

radjago

Long-time CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:34 PM

I think the appeal is having a collection that looks uniform. GH versions usually have lower production runs than the original, making that version more rare.