Had to put my dog to sleep

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AngryDragon888

AngryDragon888

9 Toes 3 Balls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

We had to put my dog to sleep this morning and it was one of the worst things I have ever experienced.  My family has always had dogs and I have seen several come and go, but this was MY first dog since I've been out on my own.  His name was Murphy and he was a black lab and a great dog.  He has been with my wife, my children, and me for a little over ten years.  A few years ago we found out he had cancer and he had to have surgery to remove a kidney and had to have radiation treatments.  We saved his life and gave him a few extra years.  However, the past few weeks he stopped eating and lost a lot of weight.  When we took him to the vet our worst fears were realized...his other kidney had failed.  I have never been so close to death.  I have had uncles, aunts, grandparents die and it was hard...call me crazy but this was harder.  People without dogs won't understand, but this was a house dog that was part of my family for a long time.  I sat there and held his head as the vet injected him and I watched his eyes close and his body fall limp....I will never forget it. I have never seen something that I love die right in front of me.  When we got home I dug a grave in the woods behind my house and carried his lifeless body to his final resting place.  It was such a strange feeling holding him...I kept expecting him to move because it's how I'm use to him being...but of course he just laid limp.  I have two other dogs and I am dreading having to repeat this.

RIP Murphy. You were a great dog and we love you. 

431048.png?51606429

#2 Pookymeister

Pookymeister

I like almonds

• Super Moderators

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

Sorry for your loss. I have 2 dogs (6-7 years old) and hoping I can postpone the inevitable as long as possible.

#3 Ravensfan93

Ravensfan93

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

I'm really sorry to hear that man. My dog died last week. The way he went was pretty horrible, but at least it saved us having to make a choice. He was pretty sick too. Its really rough, and it's totally okay to feel like crap for a while. And remember that you're lucky you still have two other dogs to be with you :)

#4 Alamo

Alamo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

So sorry for your loss, just try to keep your head up for now.

I can understand what you are going through as I myself am a dog owner. I have two german shepherd mixed dogs and I know that in the future, their time will come as well. Hopefully I can be fully prepared for it, but I doubt. It will crush me. For now, they've been really healthy dogs for about 4-5 years. This was my first time owning dogs too, but it may be my last time as well. I love these dogs so much that I don't think anyone will replace them, and I would hate to repeat the death experience. Try to enjoy the time with your two other dogs as much as you can.

#5 FrankySox

FrankySox

4 more than Lebron

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

We had to put my dog to sleep this morning and it was one of the worst things I have ever experienced.  My family has always had dogs and I have seen several come and go, but this was MY first dog since I've been out on my own.  His name was Murphy and he was a black lab and a great dog.  He has been with my wife, my children, and me for a little over ten years.  A few years ago we found out he had cancer and he had to have surgery to remove a kidney and had to have radiation treatments.  We saved his life and gave him a few extra years.  However, the past few weeks he stopped eating and lost a lot of weight.  When we took him to the vet our worst fears were realized...his other kidney had failed.  I have never been so close to death.  I have had uncles, aunts, grandparents die and it was hard...call me crazy but this was harder.  People without dogs won't understand, but this was a house dog that was part of my family for a long time.  I sat there and held his head as the vet injected him and I watched his eyes close and his body fall limp....I will never forget it. I have never seen something that I love die right in front of me.  When we got home I dug a grave in the woods behind my house and carried his lifeless body to his final resting place.  It was such a strange feeling holding him...I kept expecting him to move because it's how I'm use to him being...but of course he just laid limp.  I have two other dogs and I am dreading having to repeat this.

RIP Murphy. You were a great dog and we love you. 

So sorry for your loss.  Everything in your story pretty much sums up what I went through about four years ago.  Losing a pet that you truly love is a terrible feeling. I felt miserable for quite some time.  Also having family members pass, and feeling worse when I lost my dog made me feel a little guilty.  I still miss him but I hear horror stories of people losing their dogs, or having their dogs hit by a car or something horrible and that helped me to be thankful that my dog lived a good life and went out peacefully and it could have been a lot worse.  Losing a dog is definitely a terrible experience.  After I lost my first I adopted two more a year later...  

CAREER STATS: 521 HR, .301 BA, .419 OBP, 2 MVPs, 0 STEROIDS
Posted Image Posted Image

#6 AngryDragon888

AngryDragon888

9 Toes 3 Balls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

I appreciate the kind words from everyone.  We are definitely trying to focus on the positives.  He had a good life and I'm sure he was in pain so it was for the best I'm sure. I am for sure going to love my current dogs even more if it's possible and try to give them as much attention as possible.  

431048.png?51606429