Photo
- - - - -

Games For Windows Live Marketplace Closing 8-25! Gears of War $20 better than ebay/Amazon

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 jdawgg76

jdawgg76

RIP Stan the Man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

My long post failed and got lost so here's a short one on my mobile.

GFWL Marketplace closes sometime on 8-25! Not really a deal for the most part, but a last chance to get some games digitally or dlc.

I got Gears of War for $20. Disc versions end up at $40+ on ebay/Amazon.
Blacklight Tango Down is $1.
Minerva's Den is $5.
Some games are only gfwl from the marketplace if you want achievements (some are also glitches), osmos, world of goo, dark void are three.

There's also free games in Tinker, Age of Empires Online and Microsoft Flight (which has additional paid DLC to expand the game).

GFWL is rumored to shut down July 1, 2014.

Posted Image
Waiting for: WRC 2010 and WRC 2 and WRC 3:cry:
Now playing:
:360: Forza Horizon, Halo Series
:wii: Collecting Dust
:ps3: Collecting Dust
:pc: Diablo 3, Walking Dead
When I'm not watching Grimm and Firefly on Hulu.

#2 T1NY

T1NY

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

Why would you pay $20 for any GOW game?  They should all be very cheap at this point.  Judgement doesn't count as a GOW game.

#3 Funkenstein91

Funkenstein91

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:09 PM

So is Microsoft not planning to put their big-budget games on the Windows 8 marketplace? Seems like a wasted opportunity. 

#4 techguru928

techguru928

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:09 PM

Perhaps if they had more games and at better prices they would be competitive.. Why is the Batman game $49.99? 

#5 Ferrari Racer

Ferrari Racer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

$40 for GOW?! LMAO

ITS%20DAT%20DAM%20KID.png

#6 Gosha

Gosha

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

Man, just get a $5 360 copy if you are going to pay that much.

#7 Punisher138

Punisher138

Cthulhu Fhtagn!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

I guess if you really need GOW for PC than this is the way to go but $20 for a game I can get at Gamestop used for $2.99 for 360 version seems wrong...

Posted Image

#8 jdawgg76

jdawgg76

RIP Stan the Man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

Why would you pay $20 for any GOW game?  They should all be very cheap at this point.  Judgement doesn't count as a GOW game.

What should be and what is are two different things. The PC version is pretty impossible to find in stores leaving ebayers to set prices on a hardto find item.

So is Microsoft not planning to put their big-budget games on the Windows 8 marketplace? Seems like a wasted opportunity.

This is just GFWL which has nothing to do with Windows 8 or its marketplace.
Posted Image
Now playing:

#9 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

They should just re-release their lineup on steam.

I'd pick up GOW PC for $5 just for the deleted content that was only on PC.

#10 plus1zero

plus1zero

Turd Ferguson

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

As a longtime gears fan, and someone who does realize that PC gaming has its perks for those in the loop, gears plays better on console. I can't quite put my finger on why I didn't like it on PC, as I was quite excited about it.

#11 :Mephistox:

:Mephistox:

Be Adequate!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

Lucky for me. I managed to acquire a mint and complete copy of GOW PC for about $25 about 4-5 years ago. Having played it, finding it terribly boring, and currently sitting on my shelf collecting dust, I may put my copy up for sale for collectors to fight over it.

Cha-Ching! $_$

#12 pochi26

pochi26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:47 PM

They should just re-release their lineup on steam.

Hope Microsoft does that. Would like to get Viva PiƱata,  Zoo Tycoon 2 and Flight Simulator X

#13 Paladinion

Paladinion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

Getting Gears of War to run right on the pc is an achievement.

#14 T1NY

T1NY

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

Wish I knew you were willing to buy it for $20.  I sold it on CL a couple years back for $5 and it took me weeks to get rid of it.

What should be and what is are two different things. The PC version is pretty impossible to find in stores leaving ebayers to set prices on a hardto find item. This is just GFWL which has nothing to do with Windows 8 or its marketplace.

#15 jdawgg76

jdawgg76

RIP Stan the Man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:54 PM

Haha, wish I knew you were selling it.

Posted Image
Now playing:

#16 Johnnybeachboy

Johnnybeachboy

Need a CHEAP PS VITA

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:12 AM

DAMN forgot to buy PC games....

TRADE LIST LINK BELOW: SELLING BRAND NEW PS4 and (DAY ONE EDITION) XBOX ONE

I am also selling off a portion of my trade list, please send me offers if interested. ENJOY. Help me clear some space!

#17 theclaw

theclaw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:19 AM

GFWL had a handful of exclusives. Blazblue was never US physical release.

I'm not paying $35 in any case, already have 360 Continuum Shift Extend.

#18 Johnnybeachboy

Johnnybeachboy

Need a CHEAP PS VITA

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:21 AM

MP points wont work with PC????

I am also selling off a portion of my trade list, please send me offers if interested. ENJOY. Help me clear some space!

#19 The Ebbtide

The Ebbtide

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:40 AM

Don't forget that Windows Flight is still free to download.

You can download it here, or from the Xbox.com marketplace if you have an account.  Make sure to download the free Red Tails P-51 Mustang to use in the game before it's taken off.

Also, this means Add-ons go away to buy as well.  To see what games have DLC to buy before they go away, check the listing here.

#20 Johnnybeachboy

Johnnybeachboy

Need a CHEAP PS VITA

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:44 AM

is there any games that are windows love pc only>????

#21 The Ebbtide

The Ebbtide

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:46 AM

MP points wont work with PC????

It's not the points that is the issue.  Apparently it's the currency issue coming with the new update.

#22 Johnnybeachboy

Johnnybeachboy

Need a CHEAP PS VITA

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:48 AM

Any suggestions? Have 6000 Points

#23 The Ebbtide

The Ebbtide

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:08 AM

Any suggestions? Have 6000 Points

I'd suggest looking at the games list here.  If you see any that interest you, see if you can get them elsewhere, like Amazon, Best Buy or NewEgg.  Physical copies will still work after today, but the digital downloads won't be available to buy.  The key thing is to look at games that are download only, cheaper as digital versions, or games that have DLC that seem interesting, as they'll go away today.  If you can get the physical copy for a decent price, save your points and buy the physical (now or later...if it's available) version.

That's why jdawgg is mentioning Gears of War.  It's cheaper to download than it is to get physical copies.  But sometimes a seller drops their price.  Unfortunately, after today, supply and demand will allow the physical copies to go up in price.  But places like NewEgg or Amazon may keep their standard price, so it's better to use your points on other stuff, especially digital things that are going away.

Some DLC for Microsoft Flight is free and some is paid for.  The paid for adds more to the game.  Gears of War PC adds an extra few chapters to Act 5.  Their not as fluid as the rest of the game, as they were designed by People Can Fly, using some planning from Epic that was dropped due to time constraints to get the game out back in 2006.  The PC version has the cooperative play and online multiplayer.

Most of the games I own for Windows Live I also have for the 360, and they tend to play the same (especially because I use a wired 360 controller to play).  It seems like most of the games that have DLC are full retail games, except for Microsoft Flight and Game Room.  I'd look at that list first, see if you have yet to play any or have interest in them, and then look at the DLC.  Especially if it's free, get it and then look at the prices of the digital and physical game and decide which is the better use of your points.

As an example:

Batman: Arkham Asylum is $50 for the digital download.  I was able to get the Arkham Asylum Game of the Year version from Amazon for less than $5.  It was on sale, and was a digital copy through Amazon, but it was much, much cheaper than the Xbox.com price.  Plus, the Game of the Year version came with the extra DLC.

Unfortunately, Arkham City's DLC never went on sale for Windows Live.  It'd be cheaper to buy the Game of the Year version of that, digitally from Steam or another place, than to buy the game and all of the DLC for it.

#24 The Ebbtide

The Ebbtide

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:19 AM

Getting Gears of War to run right on the pc is an achievement.

The only issues I had was the sound level using Windows 7, and that I also lost my save data.  I have to restart the entire campaign now.  But that also happened to me with the 360 version...so it was not too surprising.

#25 Johnnybeachboy

Johnnybeachboy

Need a CHEAP PS VITA

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:26 AM

The only issues I had was the sound level using Windows 7, and that I also lost my save data.  I have to restart the entire campaign now.  But that also happened to me with the 360 version...so it was not too surprising.

Thanks, any Xbox 360 games that I could use my points on? Any exclusives that went down in price? Been buying Indie games. I don't even own an Xbox. Buying incase I get one

#26 The Ebbtide

The Ebbtide

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:41 AM

Thanks, any Xbox 360 games that I could use my points on? Any exclusives that went down in price? Been buying Indie games. I don't even own an Xbox. Buying incase I get one

If you plan on buying an Xbox 360, definitely hold onto your points.  They'll still work after the update that's coming.  The major issue is that the Games for Windows Live is literally going away.  While it isn't being phased out until next year, all of it's digital content is being removed tonight.

The Xbox 360 content and points will still work, it's just that the GFWL portion of Microsoft's Xbox division is going away.  It's like how Microsoft eventually got rid of the Xbox support...except for that they actually supported the original for a while after they stopped making Xbox games, and even alerted people to it going away well in advance of dropping the Live portion for the original Xbox.

If you want to buy PC games that are exclusive to the PC (not on the 360), the only one I can really think of is Microsoft Flight (and that's mostly free).  There might be others, but I'm not aware of them.

I hope I'm not confusing you.  Essentially, Games for Windows Live is for PC.  Microsoft is dropping Games for Windows Live (they acquired some guy who helped Steam become a success, so they're working on a new digital setup).  The point system is being phased out for a currency system, but your points will just be migrated into your local currency.  They're not going away.  In fact it's just better to keep them because they'll work on the Xbox One as well as the 360, so you'll be able to use your 6000 points for future purchases, and they'll be free from being taxed for purchases (all points, migrated to currency or not, will expire around July next year, so you have to use them before that; but when they're transferred over and become currency you will be charged tax for your digital purchases depending on state rules...but any migrated points from before the update will not be taxed as they will still technically follow the old setup Microsoft had).  

So don't feel forced to spend your points.  Unless you want to buy some digital PC games or their DLC, don't worry about using them right away.

#27 Johnnybeachboy

Johnnybeachboy

Need a CHEAP PS VITA

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:51 AM

My state is 7% tax.

So all my points, upon being transferred will not be affected by tax. Ofcourse as you've said old cards afterwards will be affected.

Figured I'd spend my points now since its easier

Gears is still selling for $20 on ebay. All the stuff on the WLMP cam be bought for cheap. I appreciate the advice.

#28 jdawgg76

jdawgg76

RIP Stan the Man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

Gears 1 worked fine on my stock HP with W7/64 bit.  Didn't mess with any settings yet.  

20+ on ebay for used copies, but I was under the impression that there is an activation code for the DLC and didn't want to risk buying the  game and not getting the DLC (the extra levels which are the main reason I wanted the PC version).  Besides $20 for the digital version and no potential ebay hassle vs 20ish for a used copy is an easy choice.

Also, found that you can get Dirt 3 Complete to get the DLC so you don't overpay of GFWL's last day.

Posted Image
Now playing:

#29 BillyDavid

BillyDavid

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

now it says they are closing the store on August 25th.

Also Microsoft flight and Ages of empire online got removed from steam.

http://www.tremorgames.com/?ref=56386

#30 EarthBoundX5

EarthBoundX5

Chef Jesus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

My long post failed and got lost so here's a short one on my mobile.

GFWL Marketplace closes sometime today. Not really a deal for the most part, but a last chance to get some games digitally or dlc.

Wow, thanks for posting, I had literally no knowledge this was happening! Fantastic...so a few questions for anyone who has an answer...

• Will the store closure affect accessing your downloaded DLC?  I mean, you can still download via the GFWL interface I'd assume.
  • Is this going to affect redeeming keys and such?  Like any keys for Age of Empires Online DLC or acticvating physical copies of Gears of War, BioShock 2, etc?
  • Does GFWL have a backup routine like Steam?  Official or Unofficial.

now it says they are closing the store on August 25th.[/size]

Where do you see this? I can't seem to find any announcement page or anything like that?

Also Microsoft flight and Ages of empire online got removed from steam.[/size]

Well great...

I don't like having a sig, but for CAG, I figured I'd sheep along.

163177.pngfs_pc.png
http://gamercard.xbo...een/ChefJesusX5 eebeta-badge-small.png
GAP - Since 2003
CAG - Lurked well before current join date