... ironic promo codes for the win?

It's pretty hilarious

Ct3uJVs.gif

#4 KornKid91

KornKid91

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

Honest question is there a good reason to buy an Ouya? Seems all the games that are worth playing are on other platforms, and not sure if it's still true but I remember at launch there being some pretty bad controller problems with buttons sticking and such. Is there anything I'm missing that would make it worth owning?

#5 miyamotorola

miyamotorola

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:18 AM

Can't wait to play angry birds on a big screen tv

#6 jrr6415sun

jrr6415sun

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:27 AM

you also get a $5 ouya credit to buy games with purchase.

the ouya isn't the best but it's not horrible. If you compare it to an xbox or a ps3 yea it's going to look like crap, but on it's own for $60 it's not bad. I've had fun with it. 

#7 thenutman69321

thenutman69321

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:33 AM

I'm surprised they're even still making the Ouya.

#8 Corgstradamus

Corgstradamus

Here's Corgi!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

Call me when the Ouya is F2O .... Free to own. Thanks for the post OP! This is more of an insult towards the Ouya, rather than a slight at you.

Have Backlog issues? Need support? Come check out  The CAG Backlog Support Group

#9 wasabi5858

wasabi5858

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:36 AM

Not really interested in Ouya, but I was just searching and see that they announced a white (with 16 gb but + $30 price tag) that look pretty nice...

#10 Justin42

Justin42

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

It has a fairly decent XBMC implementation, at this price it wouldn't be a bad pickup if you're looking to use it for a little media center..

#11 Mendoza357

Mendoza357

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:52 AM

Does it run XBMC good?

#12 captpluto9465

captpluto9465

CAGalicious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

It can run 1080p movies fine through USB (I haven't tried streaming) and you can use the "SPMC" app to have DTS/DD 5.1 passthrough.  They are supposedly working on official passthrough for the main XBMC app.  You can also autoboot to XBMC.  I use it with a Flirc receiver and I'm pretty happy with it.  I don't use it for games much as I have too many console and portable games to deal with already.

#13 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:14 AM

If you have a Wii, you don't need an Ouya. And besides 1080p? Don't you have a PS3/360/PS4/Xbone for that?

Batsugunner.png

#14 isbilly

isbilly

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

I picked one up for this price.  I played one last night and the emulation really impressed me.  Going to love having upscaled NES, SNES, Genesis on my big tv.  Not to mention the XBMC looked nice from what I saw.

Thanks for posting

#15 KirbyLovesTacos

KirbyLovesTacos

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

It's worth it. It's the only console that has The Amazing Frog, the best game of the decade so far.

#16 The Dead Texan

The Dead Texan

Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

I saw these at Best Buy. They were holding up the Xbox One display. 

#17 Twitter

Twitter

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:20 PM

They're already making Ouya 2, so.. buy knowing that the next console will be out soon.

#18 Gators300

Gators300

The Right Thing... What Is It?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

I have one. I have tried to like it, but apart from emulation purposes it isn't worth it.  But to each their own.  There are some decent games available for it, although their store is horrible.  I have probably had the system for around 6 months now and have turned it on only a handful of times.  

I will say that there is some potential with it, but I don't think even the most hardcore Ouya supporter could say that things have turned out as they had hoped for the Ouya.  Delusions of grandeur, I suppose.  It had promise, and there could be some truly amazing games for it, but the way their store is set up, you will most likely never find them. 

As I said though, it is good for emulation.  Looking at it this way, $60 for Ouya or $100 for Retron? Ouya wins there.  If you don't care about emulation, I would pass.

"You know, my heart is beating incredibly fast, I must be experiencing absolute terror!"

#19 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

They're already making Ouya 2, so.. buy knowing that the next console will be out soon.

I was thinking about getting one for emulation purposes and has a media box until I read this. Sucks for all the people who paid $100 or more just to beta test this one. 

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Uncharted: Golden Abyss - :)

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#20 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

Cubs Fan Too :(

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:30 PM

I have one. I have tried to like it, but apart from emulation purposes it isn't worth it.  But to each their own.  There are some decent games available for it, although their store is horrible.  I have probably had the system for around 6 months now and have turned it on only a handful of times.  

I will say that there is some potential with it, but I don't think even the most hardcore Ouya supporter could say that things have turned out as they had hoped for the Ouya.  Delusions of grandeur, I suppose.  It had promise, and there could be some truly amazing games for it, but the way their store is set up, you will most likely never find them. 

As I said though, it is good for emulation.  Looking at it this way, $60 for Ouya or $100 for Retron? Ouya wins there.  If you don't care about emulation, I would pass.

This is exactly why I want one. It would be great to have a media hub that can also emulate the vast majority of my childhood gaming at the same time.

GS Feedback Sheet/Thread

https://docs.google....NWc&usp=sharing

MattNY.png

#21 GrendelPrime999

GrendelPrime999

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:35 PM

OK maybe I'm having some kind of stroke but I just searched for ~15 minutes and couldn't find ANY info on game pricing on Ouya. Do they have sales? I mean this is cheapassgamer, these are important things to know.

Somewhat relevant: I did find instructions for rooting it, allowing all previously-purchased Google Play store games/apps to be installed, as well as anything else you might want to do with a rooted Android device... (not including link because I don't know if that violates the ownership agreement in any way)

#22 bcgameguide

bcgameguide

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

Honest question is there a good reason to buy an Ouya? Seems all the games that are worth playing are on other platforms, and not sure if it's still true but I remember at launch there being some pretty bad controller problems with buttons sticking and such. Is there anything I'm missing that would make it worth owning?

Three reasons:

1. Hidden in Plain Sight

2. No Brakes Valet

3. Emulation

www.battlecreekenquirer.com/gameguide

#23 fantomgamer

fantomgamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:23 PM

Thanks OP... was considering the OUYA for awhile now but at $60 for an emulator... Sold!

Check me out on Twitch: 

http://www.twitch.tv/fantomgamer

#24 Cage017

Cage017

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

Yeah count me in for being confused about Ouya too. I like how every game has a trial but I don't know what kinds of games are on this.  Does it include PC gaming?   The only gaming I do on a PC is Solitaire and Plants vs. Zombies and I keep everything else on consoles.  If there are PC games on this that have never been ported on consoles (what consoles does Ouya cover?), then I'm definitely interested in this.

One other thing: Do you have to have an internet connection the whole time to play games or can you download and play offline as well?

gallery_474050_8161_3173.jpg

"Designed By Lilchiji"

#25 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:56 PM

I was considering backing the OUYA when it was on Kickstarter but had second thoughts. They proved to be right.

Crunchewy.png

#26 AngryNerdJosh

AngryNerdJosh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:37 PM

The OUYA for $60 should be considered a must buy.
The Amazing Frog
Flip Riders
emulation
Plex (something that only works good on ouya and ps3)
Xbmc for those that care.
No brakes valet
TOWERFALL which gets critical acclaim. You could buy a $400 ps3 to play it.

The only game above that cost anything is towerfall

There are games like plants vs zombies. My son plays one very similar.

#27 Green Card200

Green Card200

The Time Mage

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

This hint at a new model coming out or am I reading too much into this?

Currently Playing - :3ds:  Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan

Recently Completed -   :pc: F.E.A.R. 2: Reborn 7/12   :pc: Divinity II: Ego Draconis 7/23  :pc: Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut 8/12

#28 ColFantastic

ColFantastic

Ranking Officer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

Yeah, the emulation use has me wanting one but I will be waiting for Ouya 2.0 for them to work out some of the kinks.

ColFantastic's Sell/Trade List

http://www.cheapassg...s-vita-games-w/

#29 pmwolf

pmwolf

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

You guys are nuts...the Ouya is AWESOME.

So much unwarranted bad press by folks that are only looking to tear things apart. 

The system isn't perfect by any stretch, but it is a TON of fun. Not only is it a fantastic media-streamer, the emulation-stuff is fantastic fun! It also has a lot of VERY fun party-games, like Hidden in Plain Sight, and No Brakes Valet. Amazing Frog is just super-bizarre-fun, and I've loved playing Knightmare Tower, Deep Dungeons of Doom, and even Organ Trail. 

My niece and Nephew (15 and 11) were over for Thanksgiving, and we spent the day playing with the XBox One. Eventually, we broke out the Ouya, and spent the rest of the night paying No Brakes Valet and Hidden in Plain Sight. Then we started playing some emulators and Knightmare Tower.

They left wanting an Ouya, and put it on their Christmas list. Had no desire to play the Xbox One the next day, and just wanted to play Ouya stuff. 

Ouya is friggin' awesome, and is just flat-out fun. 

I can't believe the amount of hate this super-cheap, super-fun system gets.

#30 Mr_hat

Mr_hat

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

Do you own a smart phone made in the past year? Own a laptop or desktop made in the last 6 years? Own a tablet made in the past 1 year? If you answered yes to at least 2 of those then you can play 99% of the games on ouya plus a couple thousand more. And its possible to use a controller on all of those devices. If you own a xbox or playstation then you get access to a lot of indie games on it as well.

I bought a ouya when it launched and it was a horrendous waste of my money I regretted. Luckily I sold mine on ebay and made my money back. But the more I played with it the more I thought "These are cheap little indie and android based games, I can play all of this stuff already on better systems, with better controllers on my pc, on the go or on my tv. Why the hell do I want this crap?"

Its a good idea but its way too late. With how powerful even cell phones are now they eliminate 90% of the reason to own a ouya. With steambox coming out that will be the nail in ouyas coffin.

Only thing it had any use for was emulation but hell you can emulate on a bunch of other devices. True ouya can do emulation out of the box, but why bother when you can just do a little work and emulate on a dozen other devices you probably already own.

All in all its just a very un-needed system that doesn't have one thing only it can do or any feature that makes it worth owning.