Photo
- - - - -

Going to "open up" the Cheap Ass Video Game Deals" forum to guests on a trial basis

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:30 PM

In honor of CAG's 2nd anniversary, I've decided to "open up" the Cheap Ass Video Game Deals" forum to guests. Previously, you had to register to read that forum.
Posting will require registration as usual.

This is on a trial basis only, so if it doesn't work out, we can easily put it back like it was before.

Thanks.

#2 Purkeynator

Purkeynator

Cheap before it was cool

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:32 PM

I think that will be cool Cheapy. A lot of times I am at a friend's computer and go to the site and can't remember my password because I am always logged on at my computer and don't need it. This will save me some time and frustration.
trade list (mostly guides with a few boxes and manuals)
http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=44132

#3 Santurio

Santurio

The Ladies' BodyGuard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:34 PM

I think that will be cool Cheapy. A lot of times I am at a friend's computer and go to the site and can't remember my password because I am always logged on at my computer and don't need it. This will save me some time and frustration.

true true...........but it may come back to bite us in the cheap ass if the great deals get out to fast. But it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Darkside Hazuki

Darkside Hazuki

Inextinguishable.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:35 PM

I second that. Good idea. Thanks!

#5 MeGaWC27

MeGaWC27

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:36 PM

true true...........but it may come back to bite us in the cheap ass if the great deals get out to fast. But it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

ditto

Posted Image

#6 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:38 PM

Yeah, I thought of that, but I figure at this point, most people who were remotely interested would have registered by now.

I feel all I am doing now is hiding the best forum on the site and people may not know what they are missing. In fact, it could lead to more registrations as people might want to get involved in the discussions.

Who knows? Let's give it a shot and find out.

#7 uzumaki_star

uzumaki_star

..:Know Your Roots:..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:40 PM

Cheapy is trying to spread the wealth even to those that aren't worthy to post on the site. This ought to be real interesting. We are barely able to keep deals within the community.
:ps3: Nada thing to play for me
:ps2: FFXII -still working on getting my attention back
:psp: FFVII:CC , Bleach 4(jap vs)
:ds: My Japanesse Coach and FFXII:RW
:wii: GHIII , Arosmith, SMG & Wii Fit
:360: Fable 2

#8 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:41 PM

Also it makes it easier for people to click on links in those topics, and therefore you can make more money. And everytime time cheapy makes a dollar an angel gets its wings

#9 b3b0p

b3b0p

Where's r0ckst34dy?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:43 PM

I don't like this idea. Now all the greedy fat wallet people will just refresh the forum all day long, buy up all inventory on a good deal, then sell it on ebay for profit.

#10 maxflight

maxflight

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:53 PM

I think having people register to view the deals forum is better, if they can't be bothered to take a minute to register, then I mean, that's just too bad.

#11 WhipSmartBanky

WhipSmartBanky

Bring on the free hooch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:14 PM

Eh, I don't really like this idea either, but hey, it's a trial basis...

Now that, my friend, is a shared moment.

about.me/wsb

#12 Gothic Walrus

Gothic Walrus

Goo Goo G'Joob.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:18 PM

Eh, I don't really like this idea either, but hey, it's a trial basis...

Same here, but it seems like the only ones who are objecting (so far) are the ones who have been here for a while.

Maybe I'm just used to the old way?

ah, a voice of logic in the form of a walrus

#13 Reality's Fringe

Reality's Fringe

Goes sex for pussy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:46 PM

I would keep it the way it is, at the very least to pad your user numbers.
http://artthoubored.ytmnd.com/

http://snapintotehslimjim.ytmnd.com/

I had one last summer. I was asleep for it so I have no recollection of anything being up my ass.

#14 hiccupleftovers

hiccupleftovers

Worst Poster on CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:54 PM

Don't like this idea at all Cheapy to tell you the truth. It just opens the forums to Fatwalleters, etc. and really don't give them any incentive to post or contribute to the site in any way. Deals already go fast as it is, and this will just make the gone quicker. I think there's enough lurkers as it is, and it was a good idea to have people register, because then if they wanted to read the deals than at least they would have to register making them put some effort into it. This just opens up a can of worms. The flood gates have been open. At least it's only on a trial basis.

Edit: Aww shit, scary thought just occurred to me. This opens up the PSP/PS2 coupon to all those that haven't even signed up. If it wasn't gone before then it might start not being now.

#15 Doylerulez

Doylerulez

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:20 PM

As things are now, if a deal disappears right away, there will be someone bragging how they scored x copies to trade in or sell and they get bashed. There will be greedy people one way or another. It's a trial, so we'll see what happens.

Maybe Xzibit can see what he's missing out on now ;)
AC:WW Drew - Skypiea 2749-5069-0420
Jump Ultimate Stars: 2792 7016 9554
Posted Image

#16 Roufuss

Roufuss

is now a coupon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:55 PM

Don't like this idea at all Cheapy to tell you the truth. It just opens the forums to Fatwalleters, etc. and really don't give them any incentive to post or contribute to the site in any way. Deals already go fast as it is, and this will just make the gone quicker. I think there's enough lurkers as it is, and it was a good idea to have people register, because then if they wanted to read the deals than at least they would have to register making them put some effort into it. This just opens up a can of worms. At least it's only on a trial basis.

Edit: Aww shit, scary thought just occurred to me. This opens up the PSP/PS2 coupon to all those that haven't even signed up. If it wasn't gone before then it might start not being now.

Agreed.

Basacially they'll just leech off the site and the deals, and never really give back to the community. I'm leary of posting deals in my area as it is, because I know there are lurkers who jump at the chance to get a cheap game to resell it, this will just make it worse.

#17 Scrubking

Scrubking

Feels the Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:28 PM

Don't like this idea at all Cheapy to tell you the truth. It just opens the forums to Fatwalleters, etc. and really don't give them any incentive to post or contribute to the site in any way. Deals already go fast as it is, and this will just make the gone quicker. I think there's enough lurkers as it is, and it was a good idea to have people register, because then if they wanted to read the deals than at least they would have to register making them put some effort into it. This just opens up a can of worms. The flood gates have been open. At least it's only on a trial basis.

+1

This is a very bad idea. Deals that used to be gone in a couple hours will now be gone in a couple minutes, etc.

Even with registration the lurking was huge, I can't begin to wonder what it will be like now.

Don't open up the best the site has to offer to anyone without a small sign of commitment on their part via registration.

Gameplay is what makes a game worth playing - not story or graphics

MY SITE

#18 doraemonkerpal

doraemonkerpal

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:36 PM

ooohh, the games from the ebgames morning update thread will disappear even quicker now :-x ah well, it's cheapdyd's decision. welcome to CAG lurkers! :D

Well, to be honest, it's hard for people to be outraged about something once they know the facts. And it takes more effort to dig up facts than be outraged. ;)

Posted Image "Meatloaf, smeatloaf, double-beatloaf. I hate meatloaf."
:whee: http://www.mixmakers.net/forums/

#19 ryanbph

ryanbph

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:58 PM

We should give it a try and see how it works out. Worse case scenario, is that it is removed.