In the Groove (PS2) $20/$40 with pad at Red Octane

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 02 September 2005 - 05:23 PM

Sale ends 9/30/05. Maximum 2 items per household.
78% Gamerankings score.
Cheap Ass Gamer Link

#2 Sway

Sway

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 05:26 PM

Nice find Cheapy. Too bad getting another pad is priced at $29.99.

#3 BarrettSan

BarrettSan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 05:40 PM

Pick this game up. I'm predicting it to be quite uncommon due to its underground nature and impending lawsuit. Could be the next Gitaroo or beyond.

It's not a well done game but it's still fun if you like rythmn games!

#4 Zingela

Zingela

Royal ... Santa Hat?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 05:48 PM

It's not a well done game but it's still fun if you like rythmn games!

How is it not well done? Not jumping on you or anything, I'm just curious why you say that. I love the arcade and home versions of this game, and some of the extra variations (hands, mines, etc) keep things interesting.

sonicdreamcast.jpg

#5 Battousai1002

Battousai1002

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:25 PM

How is it not well done? Not jumping on you or anything, I'm just curious why you say that. I love the arcade and home versions of this game, and some of the extra variations (hands, mines, etc) keep things interesting.

I second that. I actually play ITG more than DDR now because it manages to keep my interest better. The steps are designed much better, the game is more challenging, and it has a decent songlist.
[URL="http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=890946"][/URL]

#6 Jeoff

Jeoff

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:40 PM

For the "investors": I don't see if becoming rare rare. But if Konami wins the lawsuit and the game gets pulled everywhere...you could see this going for $50ish down the road. Even if it doesn't it's a DDR-like game (and a decent one) and those never seem to drop too far in price. If you're gonna buy it to sell it later you shouldn't have to worry about losing money.

I've only played the game in the arcade even though I got the console version when it came out...ah well at least I got a tshirt.

#7 smellhasreturned

smellhasreturned

Peyton Manning

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:57 PM

woah nice deal !
Posted Image

#8 sisco1986

sisco1986

The Sleeper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:23 PM

One of my friends composed some of the tracks in this game, I'll be picking one up to support him, from what he told me it's supposed to be great.
If life give you lemons; cut the tree.

#9 Battousai1002

Battousai1002

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:27 PM

One of my friends composed some of the tracks in this game, I'll be picking one up to support him, from what he told me it's supposed to be great.

What's his name?

#10 BarrettSan

BarrettSan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:37 PM

I felt that the loading times were excessive (probably due to the difficulty of PS2 programming with so little RAM) and that if they'd taken the time to optimize it it would have been much, much better. I also thought a lot of the tracks were kind of generic. It's still a blast though - I buy every DDR and ITG that comes out for consoles :D

#11 punqsux

punqsux

1K posts & all I got was this lousy rank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:57 PM

where is evilmax? i need to know if that pad is good or not!

#12 BigDirty

BigDirty

Moderator Emeritus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:58 PM

I took a bite on this. I'm glad I waited from getting it on launch. I figured there'd be somewhat of a drop, and this was good enough.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 NeoStrider

NeoStrider

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:03 PM

is this pad any good?

#14 mcgavin27

mcgavin27

twomanjobs.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:23 PM

this is a great deal, i bought the game at launch for $40 and it is worth every penny for me.

logo.png

#15 WarlordFDC

WarlordFDC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:25 PM

As long as you are not buying it to use the workout mode this is a great addition to any DDR players collection. The battle mode is a blast, even against the computer.

#16 Noodle Pirate!

Noodle Pirate!

My Cat > Your Cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:36 PM

So what kind of music does it have? Is it all jp pop crud? The description says"dance" but that could mean just about anything. House? Pop? top 40? etc...?

The arcade ddr had some tolerable music, so is the music in this one better or worse then the arcade DDR?
I'm on the fence whether to get it or not and dont want to blow 40 if I cant stand the music.
:whee:Check out my Tradelist for tons of games! Updated 11/21/08
Rares/Imports!! - GB/GBA/DS ~ PS1/PS2/PSP ~ Saturn/Dreamcast ~ Xbox/Xbox360 ~ PC Games ~Promo stuff
Comics/Manga/RPG Books/Posters/Trading cards/CCGs ~ DVDs/VCDs/LDs ~ Hong Kong Movies

Posted Image

#17 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:40 PM

Damn! Why do I have no money right now?!?!

#18 Battousai1002

Battousai1002

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:11 PM

Go here for a taste of the music: http://www.inthegroove.com/. I personally like Smiley and KaW the most. As for the pad, I think it would be good for 1-7 foot players and playable with 8 footers. Once you reach 9, any flimsy pad is difficult to play on from my experience.

#19 CYRiX

CYRiX

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:14 PM

thanks cheapE
I decided against buying some things I bidded on a lowball auction. Didn't know it'd be a big problem. Sue me.

#20 TimTucker

TimTucker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:27 PM

For fans of Penny Arcade, it actually has the PA Theme song. Not particularly great, but definitely amusing.

#21 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:38 PM

So what kind of music does it have? Is it all jp pop crud? The description says"dance" but that could mean just about anything. House? Pop? top 40? etc...?

The arcade ddr had some tolerable music, so is the music in this one better or worse then the arcade DDR?
I'm on the fence whether to get it or not and dont want to blow 40 if I cant stand the music.

DDR's is better IMO. Some of ITG's music I like but other tracks just sound like blatant ripoffs of KO's.
Also ITG is a tech handjob, that's my other problem. Frankly none of this music is danceable really. DDR actually had artists or mixers you could see yourself dancing to, X-Treme comes to mind. "Cafe" by DD Sound is an excellent track from DDR;
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#22 WarlordFDC

WarlordFDC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:06 PM

Go here for a taste of the music: http://www.inthegroove.com/. I personally like Smiley and KaW the most.

I personally like Tough Enough, Normal, Not worth the paper, and No1 Nation the most. But there are a lot of songs I like from the mix overall.

I dont know about their pad but as for the thin ones I personally couldn't go much above 5 or 6 without it bunching up or turning way to much.

#23 mkelehan

mkelehan

Xbox Live Arcade Fiend

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:15 PM

I'm a big dance game fan. I've played all of the DDR mixes, US and Japanese, extensively, and a hell of a lot of ITG as well. At this price, it's a steal. Is it better than DDR? No, unless you're the type of person who can only enjoy themselves on 10-foot songs or higher. If you don't know what that means, then you're definitely going to have a better time with DDR. The steps are (IMO) much more fun in DDR, even if they don't go well beyond humanly possible in terms of difficulty. And let's not even get into the load times.

That being said, I've had a blast with ITG. Over 70 songs, some of them a lot of fun (Utopia, Land of the Rising Sun...), and a fun new twist on Nonstop mode. Don't expect it to be better than what else is out there, but you'll get your $20 worth, no problem.

#24 Cmosfm

Cmosfm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:22 PM

I want this game, 20.00 is a good price, but 25.00 after shipping kills the deal for me. Pass!

#25 CouRageouS

CouRageouS

Rootbeer=Superwater

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:17 AM

Whoa now I'm glad I didn't pick this up the other day. Might as well get the pad with it, thanks Cheapy!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 The Successful Dropout

The Successful Dropout

eye we tall did

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:23 AM

do you have to use a special pad for the game or can i use the pads i have now? (im an idiot, thanks)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#27 YoshiFan1

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:26 AM

Regular pads will work fine.

I'm definetly picking it up, I wanted the game but didn't want to spend anywhere near full price for it

#28 CouRageouS

CouRageouS

Rootbeer=Superwater

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:29 AM

How is the pad by the way? Right now I'm debating on whether or not to order with or without it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 YoshiFan1

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:33 AM

If it's like the regular (non Ignition) Red Octane pad, it's a good but not great pad for beginners or people playing easier songs. If you already have a pad especially a good pad, I wouldn't bother getting the pad

#30 mkelehan

mkelehan

Xbox Live Arcade Fiend

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2005 - 01:22 AM

How is the pad by the way? Right now I'm debating on whether or not to order with or without it.

It's the best thin pad you'll find, but it's still a thin pad. Better than nothing, and fine for easy and most medium-level songs, but if you know for a fact you'll really get into DDR, you'll want an Ignition.