Photo
- - - - -

How do you keep track of your game collection?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Ace2001

Ace2001

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:40 AM

I have been slowly building up my game collectiion over the last 3 years. I now have about 150 games for different systems; PS1, GBA, PS2, XBOX, GC, DS & PSP. I was thinking of just creating a spreadsheet in excel to keep track of my games. Just for kicks I decided to do a search in google for "video game collection database". I found this link to www.collectorz.com. I downloaded the free trial and it is actually pretty slick. Has anyone used this program before? Are there any other cheaper or better solutions?

#2 The VGM

The VGM

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:41 AM

I use IGN
Posted Image

FS/FT/Want list. Very low prices! Complete Platinum GBA SP only $50! New DVD's only $8! Now taking offers on my collection! HUGE NOV. 9TH UPDATE!
http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=70223

#3 Odenat

Odenat

I throw a good ball

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:43 AM

IGN is good but the "price estimate" is kinda iffy. I think game crazy and gamestop have a collection option also

#4 Badwill

Badwill

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:43 AM

I keep lists on IGN and videogametracker.com (since it's all freeform entries; I can enter games that IGN doesn't have in it's database) as well as keeping a Word document of every game I have.
I'm a snake. Never trust a snake.

#5 Staind204

Staind204

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:44 AM

www.gametz.com is nice. You can have a "availiable for trading" and "collection" sections for Games,Movies, Music, and Books.

#6 sblymnlcrymnl

sblymnlcrymnl

married ... with children

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:47 AM

Just IGN for me.

#7 Ace2001

Ace2001

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:47 AM

I have heard that if you use IGN for game tracking you get emails all the time about your wanted list. New updates, sales offers. Is that true?

#8 radjago

radjago

Long-time CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:17 AM

I have an Excel sheet and use IGN on the web.

#9 DT778

DT778

number 1 on the westside

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:21 AM

ign

#10 nneace

nneace

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:24 AM

I have it, it used to be great, because you could import pictures and game information from All Game Guides, but that service was cut. Now it is not so easy, but it is cool because you can actually add the pictures of your games in. Still this is CAG, so IGN or Excel sheet is probably your best bet.

#11 zionoverfire

zionoverfire

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:32 AM

I don't, I've found most of my games are crap that I don't really care about. So I keep the 50-60 good ones on a couple of shelfs and the rest are in boxes gathering dust.

#12 FaintDeftone

FaintDeftone

Zelda Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:46 AM

I also use IGN.

#13 Wander2045

Wander2045

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:54 AM

I just use a spreadsheet

#14 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:58 AM

I use Gamespot and IGN. I like IGN for the ability to add demos, older games, and keep your own info on your games like prices, dates, and such. I use Gamespot for the overall streamlined experience and that it's easier to add games than IGN.

#15 PenguinMaster

PenguinMaster

Sacrilicious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:16 AM

I also use IGN. Plenty of CAGs have links to their collections in their sigs (including me) so you can see how they are cataloged.

Digital distribution is the death of the preservation of the arts.

Game Collection: http://backloggery.c...r=penguinmaster
Blu-ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...action=overview

#16 Zenithian Legend

Zenithian Legend

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:18 AM

IGN naturally
Posted Image

#17 opportunity777

opportunity777

Disco Fever

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:31 AM

I used to use excel spreadsheets, but I haven't updated them in months, so I don't even know what games I own right now :-(

IGN was really difficult for me to use because I have so many games. Have they changed the format to make it easier to add games quickly?

#18 mietha

mietha

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:33 AM

I use Gamespot. Works well enough for me.
Posted Image

#19 Wet Ninja

Wet Ninja

Cheaping from the shadows

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:37 AM

I have heard that if you use IGN for game tracking you get emails all the time about your wanted list. New updates, sales offers. Is that true?

When you add a game to your wishlist, there's a box you can check if you want to "watch" a game. If you check that box, IGN will send you an email whenever they post a new article for that game. If you don't want the emails, you can leave the box unchecked.

#20 strebor

strebor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:57 PM

I use IGN as well.
|| Now Playing ||: Tales of the Abyss, Yoshi's Island DS

|| Wish List/Collection ||

#21 moiety

moiety

Yardsaling CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:10 PM

I have an Excel sheet and use IGN on the web.

Same here. I much prefer my excel workbook to IGN, though. I have a sheet (tab) for each system, with the appropriate games listed in each. I have a running tally of duplicates, plus the conditions each item is in. There is also a systems sheet that tallies what I have for systems. Finally, the first sheet in the book is a summary of all the games, which is linked to all the other sheets (so it updates automatically): the total number of actual games and the total number of titles (total games - duplicates). I update it weekly, usually after evilmax and I go yardsaling. I'm really proud of it and it's a great way to keep track of everything! :)

#22 heavy liquid

heavy liquid

tastes like burning

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:18 PM

IGN for me, too.

#23 Tricky

Tricky

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:34 PM

Ign

#24 kaw

kaw

Want some rye?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:50 PM

IGN, but I think there's definitely room for improvement. They really haven't added anything to the functionality of the site in some time. I'd like to see more options like: purchase date, amount paid, condition, and if I beat the game or not. I've emailed IGN about this several times a few years back, and I always get a canned response that says they will be updating the site soon. Yeah right. Just like they'll be adding a DVD database soon too. :roll:

#25 Professor Oreo

Professor Oreo

I paint pretty pictures

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:25 PM

Same here. I much prefer my excel workbook to IGN, though. I have a sheet (tab) for each system, with the appropriate games listed in each. I have a running tally of duplicates, plus the conditions each item is in. There is also a systems sheet that tallies what I have for systems. Finally, the first sheet in the book is a summary of all the games, which is linked to all the other sheets (so it updates automatically): the total number of actual games and the total number of titles (total games - duplicates). I update it weekly, usually after evilmax and I go yardsaling. I'm really proud of it and it's a great way to keep track of everything! :)

Great minds must think alike. I've made an eerily similar Excel spreadsheet of which I'm also quite proud. All I have to do is type in a new game and it automatically updates my system totals my grand totals. I even use it to keep track of how many of my games I've actually completed. Sadly it tells me that I'm only at 27.2% of my near 700 total games. I have only this site to blame for that. ;)

#26 Aleryn

Aleryn

CheapassSinceGradeSchool

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:28 PM

Good 'ol Excel Spreadsheet.

#27 chickenhawk

chickenhawk

Like sand in the scumbag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:30 PM

When you add a game to your wishlist, there's a box you can check if you want to "watch" a game. If you check that box, IGN will send you an email whenever they post a new article for that game. If you don't want the emails, you can leave the box unchecked.

Sometimes though, especially for newer games, they automatically check the box and you have to uncheck it to make sure you dont get emails.

I use IGN. I used to have an Excel spreadsheet with how much I paid for each game, but that is since way outdated.
"The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done." - John Ruskin :roll:
Posted Image

#28 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:33 PM

IGN for me...it's in the sig.

#29 coolcps

coolcps

! now change my title10/6

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:56 PM

IGN, but i havent updated it in months and its gonna hurt my head trying to think of all the games ive got since i updated it. I think a spreadsheet would be cool though, and have the price that you pay and a total, could be interesting.

#30 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:59 PM

Doesn't anyone just put their games on a shelf and look at them? I have over 100 games and well over 400 cds and I have never rebought anything. Why a spreadsheet?

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.