Photo
- - - - -

Rumor: PS3 to block used games

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:22 PM

Also mentioned is that PS3 may not have regional locks.

Its only a rumor, and its only popped up on Spong and on message boards, so take it with a grain of salt (in fact, it probably means that its more than likely not true). But, if they actually did it, it would be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

I will absolutely not buy a PS3, or any other Sony product, if this is true. I otherwise would have bought a PS3.

Actual Patent: (in English)
http://patft.uspto.g...agi AND AN/Sony

#2 Warner1281

Warner1281

Pissing off customers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:28 PM

It would definately be an interesting move, although one met with a LOT of opposition. The ability to rent games, buy/trade used games, or even play a game at a friends house would be completely out of the question. I think the move would actually make places like Gamestop and EB decide they will not try and push the games and consoles, as they will not be able to get any resale value from the games once they go out the door. While it may be a thought in Sony's minds, I don't think it would ever materialize into anything more.

The region-free console thing is a definite possibility though.
Posted Image

#3 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:28 PM

All that, for only $900! What a deal!

I don't believe it, but I wouldn't be too surprised. Whichever company does this first is just asking to be the next company to exit the console market. Watch retailers like EB and GS drop that console like an ugly baby as soon as this technology is even tried.
Posted Image

#4 Kain Vincent

Kain Vincent

Monarch of Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:30 PM

If such a process did happen, the used market for PS3 games would be non existant (unless they sell the system with the game) and it would be a cripping blow to Gamestop's market.
Hookbill is the best character in Tetris Attack 8-)
Game Collection|| Wishlist || Tradelist

#5 CouRageouS

CouRageouS

Rootbeer=Superwater

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:31 PM

Way too restricting. Shit if your PS3 broke you'd have to replace the games too. Next we're gonna need eye surgery to appreciate the PS3's billion frames per second. What is next for this miracle machine?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:34 PM

that wouldnt even make sense

Posted Image

#7 secretvampire

secretvampire

Call me Baron von Marlon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:34 PM

Hahahahah...I don't believe it. They would die so fast, Sony isn't stupid.

#8 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:35 PM

It's actually not too far of a stretch considering how Sony has been trying to protect their music CDs lately. If they think they can be succesful with this strategy, they will run with it.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#9 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:39 PM

It's actually not too far of a stretch considering how Sony has been trying to protect their music CDs lately. If they think they can be succesful with this strategy, they will run with it.

cmon you dont really think they would do this, they want to be the only system around. if they implemented this technology on the ps3 they would most certainly be demolished in the next generation. further, they would have to raise the price of the ps3 tremendously because the article says that the machine, in this case the ps3, would delete the code of the disc, the game. that would imply rewriting ability, are you telling me that the ps3 is going to suppord brdvdrw? give me a break, stupid rumor before the xbox360 launch, nothing more.

Posted Image

#10 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:41 PM

cmon you dont really think they would do this, they want to be the only system around. if they implemented this technology on the ps3 they would most certainly be demolished in the next generation. further, they would have to raise the price of the ps3 tremendously because the article says that the machine, in this case the ps3, would delete the code of the disc, the game. that would imply rewriting ability, are you telling me that the ps3 is going to suppord brdvdrw? give me a break, stupid rumor before the xbox360 launch, nothing more.

No, I really don't think they would do this. I definitely think it's been tossed around a few board rooms at Sony though.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#11 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:42 PM

This rumor gets legs because:

1. Sony has said before that they'd love to do this, and they also tried to make used games illegal in Japan.

2. They filed a patent with Kutaragi's name on it for exactly this.

3. The recent rootkit on one of their CD's.

But its easy to dismiss, for now, because:

1. Theres nothing linking the patent to the PS3. (I can't read Japanese, so I couldn't tell you if the patent really says any of this. I just have to take Spong and the other outlet's word for it)

2. PS3 would get killed if they tried this.

I really wouldn't be surprised if they did, and they certainly would like to, but I don't think they'll do it. They would get killed by 360 and Rev.

If any of you can read Japanese, the details are supposedly on this site:
http://www.ipdl.ncip....jp/homepg.ipdl

#12 dpatel

dpatel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:19 PM

If this happened, I would seriously reconsider getting a PS3. This would mean I can't trade games with friends, buy cheapass used games, or rent anything. Would be a stupid move by Sony. I highly doubt it is true. Just seems to be more bad rumors that are being released as the 360 launch nears.

#13 Photomotoz

Photomotoz

Magic Missile!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:19 PM

They had this "Read once" disc technology a couple years back. And to this day I have not seen it used. It was supposed to be used for sensitive materials and the such and I havent heard anything about it until now.

Think about it, what is Sony's reasoning behind this? Sure they make slightly more money but overall with the people boycotting and such they ultimatly lose soo much. They should know themselves of the thriving used/rent game market we have here in the US. I am sure that goes for Japan as well but maybe on a smaller scale from what I have read. If they do do this they could easily make special rent version discs that are playable over and over again.

#14 evanft

evanft

Wombat needs Nutrisystem.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:25 PM

It's Spong.

#15 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:25 PM

acutally it was illegal to rent games and sell second hand titles in Japan. (not sure if they changed that)

Edit: That is only changed recently
http://www.gamespot....ws_6128900.html

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#16 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:26 PM

Meatwad> Do it, Sony. Piss him off.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#17 LonelyController

LonelyController

lonelycontroller.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:35 PM

I would not buy a PS3 under that circumstance.

The Revolution looks better and better to me, I think I'll start upgrading my PC for highend graphics and tell Microsoft and Sony to go Fuck themselves.

#18 bostonfrontier

bostonfrontier

Pierce - Garnett - Allen

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:39 PM

Sony can do this, but Im sure a bunch of hackers would overcome the barrier, so I think this isn't really a problem

#19 dpatel

dpatel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:46 PM

Sony can do this, but Im sure a bunch of hackers would overcome the barrier, so I think this isn't really a problem

true, but they fact that we even have to hack our system to play used games is stupid.

#20 GuilewasNK

GuilewasNK

No gimmicks necessary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:47 PM

Way too restricting. Shit if your PS3 broke you'd have to replace the games too. Next we're gonna need eye surgery to appreciate the PS3's billion frames per second. What is next for this miracle machine?

Nice Superman gif BTW.

Good point about the PS3 breaking. That is reason enough to discredit the whole idea.

Posted Image

It is illegal to assault the internet. - Xi Yanchun

click for my list ---> Posted Image RPGS added!

#21 ryanbph

ryanbph

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:50 PM

From one of the major publishing/development companies a head of the food chain guy was asked about the cost of development for next gen consoles, the price of games etc etc...in the interview (i either saw it on g4, or saw a video clip from gamespot) he was pointing out the fact that he thinks games could come out brand new for $20, but they would either need to eliminate the used game market, or get a large chunk of the revenues from that market. The ps3 is the only console that I was going to wait for some price drops, or see a couple of must have exclusive games. Now, going with the notion that the rumor from spong is true, would it be that big of a hit if used games were blocked, but to buy a new one it is $20 or $30 dollars.

Posted Image

#22 David85

David85

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:53 PM

I don't even believe that Sony is that dumb. Wouldn't that cause more gamers to mod their systems to make copies of their game or something.

This is just too dumb to be true.
"It (Wii) would be a complete failure if we didn't sell more units than the Nintendo GameCube". - Satoru Iwata 2005

"If you asked me if Sony's strength in hardware was in decline, right now I guess I would have to say that might be true." - Ken Kutaragi 9-9-06

Finally they speak the truth.

#23 ScottsUSERID

ScottsUSERID

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:53 PM

The thought of the ps3 breaking and having to replace all the games scares me. I cant possibly see this helping sony. Think of all the copy of games they wont sell because blockbuster, hollywood video, and whatever rental company out there wont purchase them. I dont think it would overweight the barely few games theyd get in exchange for forcing people to pay 59.99 a game.

#24 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2005 - 12:06 AM

From one of the major publishing/development companies a head of the food chain guy was asked about the cost of development for next gen consoles, the price of games etc etc...in the interview (i either saw it on g4, or saw a video clip from gamespot) he was pointing out the fact that he thinks games could come out brand new for $20, but they would either need to eliminate the used game market, or get a large chunk of the revenues from that market. The ps3 is the only console that I was going to wait for some price drops, or see a couple of must have exclusive games. Now, going with the notion that the rumor from spong is true, would it be that big of a hit if used games were blocked, but to buy a new one it is $20 or $30 dollars.

This doesn't seem totally out of the question but even if they do try to move in this direction I think game retailers would fight it every step of the way.

Now playing (& watching):
:br:-House, M.D. season 7
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#25 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2005 - 12:09 AM

i say go for it BUT then make all the new games come out for 5 bucks
WOOOO I STINK

#26 ryanbph

ryanbph

Posted 09 November 2005 - 12:12 AM

This doesn't seem totally out of the question but even if they do try to move in this direction I think game retailers would fight it every step of the way.

true, the now 1 major national game store would fight it, but how could they win. If the ps3 or a future game console had this, and the games were in the same price range as dvd's, and had solid sales numbers for Sony, what could gamespot do. Other stores like Walmart, best buy, circuit city, target etc wouldn't care, as most of them don't carry used games (I know best buy was trying that out in select area's of the country) Aren't PC gaming companies trying to ax out the middle men, but offering there game for direct download. While it most likely won't be possible in this next gen of game consoles, 5 - 6 years from now when we are facing the launch of the ps3, the xbox 3 will they come with huge HD, and allow for you to download the games directly from and online service. It is only time before broadband becomes the standard across the country.

Posted Image

#27 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2005 - 12:13 AM

Why would retailers like Walmart, Taget, circuit city, or any store that doesnt sell used games be aganist this?

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#28 corrosivefrost

corrosivefrost

We're done here.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2005 - 12:14 AM

This is ... odd.
There's a lot of interesting questions this raises... I'm still grappling about how it would handle used PS2 games.

#29 Pancake Rabbit

Pancake Rabbit

Have A Cigar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2005 - 12:18 AM

Basically every company in the gaming industry hates stores like gamestop and EB. This is because they don't see a single penny of profit from used game sales. If sony got away with this I garuntee Nintendo and Microsoft would also jump on the bandwagon. You guys know that EA is just begging for this to become a reality. A garunteed 50 dollars on every madden they put out, knowing that not a single one will be resold they would sell twice as many copies. I bet if this was true (which it defintly isn't sony isn't that stupid) we might even see cheaper games because companies would be making a lot more money on their games, because everyone would be forced to buy new copies.

Posted Image

#30 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2005 - 12:19 AM

*insert generic phrases about the rumor being stupid and false as it's not even worth taking time to think of lengthy responses to something so preposterous*

edit: Half-life 2 for PC got away with it and that's part of the reason I don't own HL2, because I don't want to support shit like that. Once they got the capability do you really think they would lower starting prices to sub-$30? No, because they would already have us over a barrel.

Guardian_owl.png