• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2005 - 09:27 PM

whatup all my SoCalian Stallions??

California has one of the BEST arcade scenes in the country, for competitve gaming (fightings / Initial D), bemani games, and jus some other real fun shit!

so u guys better get off ure asses and go to the arcade!! many say things like "oh arcades are dying" but theyre REAL fun and u gotta keep it alive!

here's a rundown and a description of stuff:

Arcade Infinity
1380 S.Fullerton Road, Suite 206
Rowland Heights, CA 91748

this place is the SPOT!! the mecca of american bemani scene back in 2000, lots of the greatest groups and players came out of here, as well as the best tournaments! Aside from all the bemanis, they have all the latest games from japan as well! (I believe it's the only place in the USA to have VF4 final mix or something, and it has Rumble Fish 2 also!) The fighting cabinets are japan style, sit down. They even got lots of Initial D players! It's in a cool, fobbish area, which means people stay there hella late and u can mack on all the taiwanese chicks!

Cyberzone
3377 Wilshire Blvd #104
Los Angeles, CA

this one is in Korea Town. Therefore, all the korean games like Pump It Up is there. Not really that great of an arcade, but definately unique. Fun to go every now and then. Since a lot of koreans play pump, it's fun to go and see korean moms playing it (and theyre real good too!). This was the spot of the last great DDR tournament, Cyber Beat Nation (happened in like 2003 I think, DDR died after that).

Family Fun Arcade
10363 Balboa Blvd
Granada Hills, CA 91344

Family is 3rd Strike central! All of cali's greatest 3S players play there. There's like, 6 or 7 3S machines set up there, They have all the other fighting games there too, as well as DDR, beatmania, etc. This is like my "home" arcade since I useta go here when I was little. It's still one of the best.

Camelot Golfland
3200 Carpenter Ave.
Anaheim, CA 92806

This place is the successor to the ill-fated Souther Hills Golfland (SHGL or shiggle). As SHGL was the mecca for fighting games, all the players moved to here. It was the only place to get soul calibur competition, but of course MVC2, 3S, and GGXX are played here as well. Although I do not kno what's been up with the fighting scene lately, I am not sure how lively this place is on thrusday / friday nites (I havent been in a long time). I'ma definately check it out again soon.

dat's all I can think of now, there's other places like Regency Fun Center in Lakewood and All Amusement in Van Nuys but I donno how good those places are.

maybe I will go to Arcade Infinity tonite! ^_^v

#2 apokalipze2

apokalipze2

piledriving that azz

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2005 - 09:33 PM

Did they fix the sticks at ffa? They feel shitty everytime I go

#3 Diiz

Diiz

calm like a bomb

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2005 - 09:40 PM

Awesome, thanks for the list. I tried to get a list of good arcades in the area like 2 years ago but came up dry.
Posted Image
MIDGARDSORMR
[75]WAR◆

I am a leaf on the wind,
Watch how I soar.

#4 Zon27

Zon27

It's on like Donkey Kong!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2005 - 09:43 PM

There is a Family Fun Arcade right across the street from LA Community College...it's pretty cool. The import F-Zero game makes it worth it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Zoglog

Zoglog

Blogging = AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:12 AM

It seems Arcades are just about dead nowadays. UCLA arcade has Drummania which isn't too bad and it's a walk from my workplace but yeah...

Ah the good ol days of AI D:

#6 sonicbooom

sonicbooom

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2005 - 12:49 AM

Yeah, arcades seem kind of dead around here. Probably because I don't go to them that much, but whenever I have, there's no one to play against in fighting games.

The 90's were so great for arcade fighters. My family and I used to go to Vegas two or three times a year, and I'd work a bunch of people in SF and MK. Machines were crowded, and everyone set their quarters because they had next. People used to get pissed because they'd lose to a little kid like me. :)

#7 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2005 - 07:47 AM

gotta keep this alive yo.

went to FFA today for a bit,

they got Neo Geo Battle Colloseum

(which prolly means AI has it too).

I been working, and yet been broke too lately

so I havent gone arcade in soooooo long,

I still havent hit up a thrusday nite at camelot thing.

but... new years resolution would change dat!

#8 Logain8955

Logain8955

Groovy Cactuar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:15 AM

Man, I wish we had decent arcades up here in Ventura County. All we have is Ventura Golf n Stuff, which has almost nothing interesting. =T Camelot Golfland sounds interesting (I loves me my GGXX.), but driving through LA....ehhhh....

#9 ChWMeiNThG

ChWMeiNThG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2005 - 11:29 AM

FFA and Interface in Simi Valley, the only arcades that matter.
Kakkate Kina!

#10 MarkMan

MarkMan

CAG TEKKEN MASTER

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2005 - 12:26 PM

In San Diego... the best one(and it's still a shitty arcade) is probably Mission Valley Centre Tilt or Plaza Bonita Tilt...

My crew and I wreck shop in Tekken there... :)

Reigning Super CAG Fighting Quiz Game Winner plus Alpha@ hyper-turbo.eXtreme!!!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

SDTEKKEN - TekkenZaibatsu - Mad Catz - EVO2010

#11 Diiz

Diiz

calm like a bomb

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2005 - 05:31 PM

There's a Tilt at the Temecula Promenade and man, that place blows. I honestly don't know how they stay in business.

The Nickel City in Carmel Mountain Ranch used to be great back when it was still Metropolis. Once NC bought them out it seemed to go downhill from there, but I haven't been back in years so idk if it ever got any better (Carmel Mountain Real Estate isn't cheap, so they must be doing something right to keep afloat all these years).
Posted Image
MIDGARDSORMR
[75]WAR◆

I am a leaf on the wind,
Watch how I soar.

#12 vietgurl

vietgurl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2005 - 11:26 PM

I miss SHGL :-(

There's a Tilt at the Temecula Promenade and man, that place blows. I honestly don't know how they stay in business.

The Nickel City in Carmel Mountain Ranch used to be great back when it was still Metropolis. Once NC bought them out it seemed to go downhill from there, but I haven't been back in years so idk if it ever got any better (Carmel Mountain Real Estate isn't cheap, so they must be doing something right to keep afloat all these years).

I used to work at Nickel City. During the summer, there are a ton of summer camps that go to Nickel City. I always felt like crying when there were 50 little kids at the ticket counter screaming, "I WANT THIS!" I think that these summer camps + the ticket games keep NC afloat. The games that give out tickets seem to be very popular among the little kids that go there
Posted Image

#13 Logain8955

Logain8955

Groovy Cactuar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2005 - 11:54 PM

FFA and Interface in Simi Valley, the only arcades that matter.

? There's actually a decent arcade in Simi? Do you know if they have a website? I tried googling them and didn't get anything.

#14 MarkMan

MarkMan

CAG TEKKEN MASTER

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2005 - 12:28 AM

SHGL was the best... the mecca of arcade gaming in the early and late 90s... :(

#15 Diiz

Diiz

calm like a bomb

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2005 - 01:02 AM

I remember always going to an awesome arcade called the Yellow Brick Road I think... it was at the UTC mall and that place always used to be packed. Those were in the glory days of SFII and MK.
Posted Image
MIDGARDSORMR
[75]WAR◆

I am a leaf on the wind,
Watch how I soar.

#16 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:14 AM

There is Electric Ave. in Ventura....right off of Johson St, by the big Theater.

#17 Logain8955

Logain8955

Groovy Cactuar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:28 AM

There is Electric Ave. in Ventura....right off of Johson St, by the big Theater.

Yeah, but they're mostly a LAN place with a few decent machines. (The good ol' days of playing Initial D ver 2 for hours on end. :D Fun times.) Not much else beyond that if I recall correctly.

#18 unforeseen

unforeseen

Crime Scene Investigator

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2005 - 07:03 AM

SHGL was the best... the mecca of arcade gaming in the early and late 90s... :(

I remember the good days where I would ride my bike there and catch a movie at the nearby Edwards, too bad both are now gone. The Edwards became a Super Auto parts shop and SHGL became a community of condos. :(

#19 DisturbedZen

DisturbedZen

I'm illegal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2005 - 07:26 AM

Speedzone isn't up there... X_X Perhaps its not a great arcade...
One of the original CAGs.

Goozex referral, http://www.goozex.co...?idr=4449014487

Los Angeles Lakers

Fisher - Bryant - Odom - Gasol - Bynum

"Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you may proceed"

http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=76788

#20 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2005 - 07:21 PM

isnt interface where they play like gunbound and stuff?!?!

I once won $30 in arcade tokens at SHGL for getting 1st place in their DDR tournament on Halloween, prolly like 2002 I think.

I even had mine name in Tips n Tricks magazine!

#21 MarkMan

MarkMan

CAG TEKKEN MASTER

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2005 - 08:52 PM

JEKKI what was your DDR name? I used to help out a lot with the DDR community, so your name might be familiar to me :)

#22 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2005 - 07:32 PM

yo, I was sambao of the mighty ddr group Team Action Go Go Go.

I was quite frankly one of the worst freestylers ever.

these days I'm sambao of the mighty rap group Team Action Go Go Go

(of which I am the only member).

I am quite frankly one of the worst freestylers ever.

#23 Psykodelik

Psykodelik

Piw Piw Masta!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:51 AM

There was "Western Arcade" by Mt. Sac. I forgot the new name now but it was pretty good back then. There was another one by Cal Poly but that closed down years ago.

Hehe, anyone remember PAC-Man in Pasadena? That was THE PLACE to go.

#24 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2005 - 05:05 AM

My buddy is always going to an arcade in LA...Im just too lazy to go with him. There are a few pool/bars that have a bunch of arcade games inside...one right by the Topanga mall. Been there a few times to shoot some pool and would sometimes play a little bit of the arcade games.

Other then that, its always Golf N Stuff. Havn't been in a long time, but the last time they had a F-Zero GX machine....drool

#25 ChWMeiNThG

ChWMeiNThG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:53 AM

? There's actually a decent arcade in Simi? Do you know if they have a website? I tried googling them and didn't get anything.

It's a whatever arcade. Its run by the owner of FFA so there are good cabinets...on 3S at least. Theres other bemani games, but the main reason anyone goes is 3S. Its half cyber cafe half arcade/console games.
Kakkate Kina!

#26 vietgurl

vietgurl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:59 AM

GTA was known as the best arcade in San Diego before it closed...I think it was more for it's DDR machine than anything else.

I was told that Ray's used to be a very good arcade for DDRers a long long time ago.

NC is probably the only decent arcade in San Diego right now if I'm not mistaken
Posted Image

#27 MarkMan

MarkMan

CAG TEKKEN MASTER

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:38 AM

Mission Valley Tilt is decent.

They are the only confirmed places getting Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection so far.

#28 assassinX

assassinX

The ass......assinX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:29 AM

whats the closet place to san gabriel?
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#29 nickelpin

nickelpin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:57 AM

Arcade Infinity is indeed awesome, as well as that entire Life Plaza area. It's like stepping into a geographical warp and ending up in some slice of Hong Kong / Tokyo. That was the first and only time I'd ever seen those insanely advanced automated sticker photo booths outside of Tokyo!

Too bad going to AI is too farking far for me do it regularly #-o
I get lazy and instead head to Camelot off the 91...

#30 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:44 PM

AI is the closest to San Gabruel I think. there useta be some arcade underground but I dont think it's there anymore...

Pac Man arcade?!?! yeah dat's the place to go if u wanna feel like taking a shower. seriously dat place was dirty.

anyway this thrusday nite is Camelot nite. I gotta check out if the place is still poppin like a popper, I wanna play some cvs2 (and get mine ass kicked in it)