PS3 "Boomerang" Controller Criticism Addressed

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Ecofreak

Ecofreak

That's Ah Bingo!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:17 PM

Not sure if it's official, but the arguments presented make sense and have taken away some of my uncertainty.

http://www.forz.pwp....angdebunked.gif

This is intended for people who are concerned about the comfortability of the controller, not the "OMG! The thing looks like a stupid fucking boomerang! Sony's lost it!" argument.

Besides, how many of us actually look at a controller while we're playing? It's confort that matters in the end, ultimately.
[thread=49233]Trade List[/thread]

#2 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:19 PM

*shakes head* not gonna do it for me. I still think it's an awful design.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Maynard

Maynard

Steam 48 hours a week.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:20 PM

hmmmmmm good find, i like that idea....

Posted Image

#4 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:23 PM

That doesn't make sense. I just picked up my PS2 controller and sure enough I already naturally hold it with my wrists angled. The claim in that animation is that with the PS2 controller your holding your wrists straight...

Not to turn this into a fanboy argument thread but I really don't see why they (and Nintendo) are trying to reinvent the wheel with their contollers? Why not just take what already works and make some slight tweaks on it?

#5 corrosivefrost

corrosivefrost

We're done here.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:24 PM

nice to know there's logic behind it, other than "designers thought it looked cool...".

however, i don't think i'm going to like it.

#6 LonelyController

LonelyController

lonelycontroller.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:24 PM

So if a controller was shaped like a wang, but it was REALLY comfortable to hold, that would be ok?

#7 defiance_17

defiance_17

You're bastard people.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:26 PM

So if a controller was shaped like a wang, but it was REALLY comfortable to hold, that would be ok?

Would you stop playing games if it was?

Who the hell holds a Dual Shock 2 like that? It reminds me of one of those late-night infomercials where everyone is making a huge mess and cutting their fingers off trying to boil eggs or something.
I must say, however, seeing the "boomerang" in someone's hands really makes it seem like everyone is overreacting. It looks like it will be just fine (although I'd prefer something closer to the current PS2 controllers, which are, in my opinion, the best created for any console).
Posted Image

#8 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:26 PM

Is it just me or does everyone else already hold their wrists at an angle when using the current dual shock? The grips on the dual shock are already angled. I'm not quite sure what this is showing. This is exactly how I pictured holding the boomerang controller when I saw it. I still don't like the design because I don't like the analog sticks to be right beside each other on the same plane. It's great for Katamari, but for everything else, it just feels more natural to have them like the Xbox or Gamecube have them.

I really don't think this answers anybody's concerns about the boomerang. Maybe I'm missing something?
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#9 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:27 PM

I'll wait until I hold it to make any judgements. I think the Wavebird looks pretty awful but it turned out to be the most comfortable controller I have ever held. It also probably differs from person to person on what they find comfortable.

#10 Supercake

Supercake

Mighty Pirate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:31 PM

I don't recall widespread complaints about the Dualshock? The controller looks like a Sidewinder, but much more uncomfortable. Hell, I don't think an Xbox controller is that much more different then a Dualshock in terms of holding. My wrists hurt more playing GBA then consoles.

#11 chickenhawk

chickenhawk

Like sand in the scumbag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:49 PM

I never thought the boomerang design was a problem. Like jkam, I will hold off judgement until I hold it. The whole "it looks like a boomerang" argument is annoying IMHO...just like I have read that people are complaining about the "spiderman" font. Give me a break!
"The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done." - John Ruskin :roll:
Posted Image

#12 CapAmerica

CapAmerica

Dead or Alive Fanboy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:01 PM

I still don't like the placement of the Left Analog stick and the D-Pad, Thats been my whole gripe with the Dualshock, So untill Sony getts off their ass and updates the controller's layout. I will never be happy with the Playstation controller. They should just use the Xbox360 design.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:05 PM

The whole "it looks like a boomerang" argument is annoying IMHO...just like I have read that people are complaining about the "spiderman" font. Give me a break!

Exactly. Maybe it DOES look like a boomerang. Who cares?

#14 doraemonkerpal

doraemonkerpal

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:05 PM

I never thought the boomerang design was a problem. Like jkam, I will hold off judgement until I hold it. The whole "it looks like a boomerang" argument is annoying IMHO...just like I have read that people are complaining about the "spiderman" font. Give me a break!

i agree.

"never judge a book by it's cover."

;)

Well, to be honest, it's hard for people to be outraged about something once they know the facts. And it takes more effort to dig up facts than be outraged. ;)

Posted Image "Meatloaf, smeatloaf, double-beatloaf. I hate meatloaf."
:whee: http://www.mixmakers.net/forums/

#15 mietha

mietha

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:18 PM

Sorry, I actually owned the PS1 controller that thing is based off of. Other than the negcon, it was pretty much the worst controller ever, at least since the 4bit era. Uncomfortable as hell, and you constantly hit the wrong buttons/directions. I'm (hopefully) probably passing on a PS3 anyway, but if that is the only controller, my decision will be REALLY easy.
Posted Image

#16 PsyKyX

PsyKyX

All Confused

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:42 PM

That was made by a user on the Gamespot forums.
http://www.gamespot....pic_id=24015386

I must say, the PS3 controller looked much bigger when I saw it. Eh, who knows.

#17 Blind the Thief

Blind the Thief

I want my Mother.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:43 PM

All I'm going to say is...for all the complaining I've ever done about any controller (Gamecube and original Xbox come to mind...) I've never thought twice about whether I wanted a system because of the controller...that is, until now.

Sure, I'm willing to give it a chance, but if it's as uncomfortable to hold as it looks, I'll wait for the PS3's Controller S.

#18 TimPV3

TimPV3

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:45 PM

I figured it would be comfortable as hell. Like I've said, Sony's had the best controller design for a while, I doubt they'd get rid of it for something bad.

#19 Kayden

Kayden

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:49 PM

I hate when they angle the handles like that. It throws my thumbs off and when I want to move right with the digital pad, I wind up going down and right because the axis of my hand is off center. "Up" stays the same relative to my hand instead of the controller.

Posted Image Posted Image

Kayden you would be awesome in Congress.

#20 PsyKyX

PsyKyX

All Confused

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:49 PM

I figured it would be comfortable as hell. Like I've said, Sony's had the best controller design for a while, I doubt they'd get rid of it for something bad.

Like a lawsuit? ;)

#21 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2005 - 05:54 AM

The original joystick.:lol:

Now playing (& watching):
:ps3:-Binary Domain
:br:-Game of Thrones season 1
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#22 Skelah

Skelah

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2005 - 06:08 AM

I think its great people dont like that it looks like a boomerang who gives a shit look at controllers in the past some of the best looking didnt work well.

playstation making a good move by sticking with this design.

#23 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2005 - 06:11 AM

Looks comfortable, and if it ends up being comfortable then I'm happy. Dualshock 2 is my favorite controller ever, and if this is going to be an improvement on it then awesome.

The controller is basically the same (layout of the buttons and analog sticks) except its a different shape, and if it ends up being as comfortable as the gif in the OP suggests then awesome.

And I personally prefer the analog sticks next to eachother.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#24 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:17 AM

I never got all the bitching about the controller. It's pretty much the same as the DS2, just with a silver coat of paint and a curved design. It's relatively the same size, same button placement (with a little adjustment), same great feel (assuming), and it'll play just as well, maybe even better than the DS2. Enough about the controller, give us more info on the console!

#25 Photomotoz

Photomotoz

Magic Missile!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2005 - 03:07 AM

Looks comfortable, and if it ends up being comfortable then I'm happy. Dualshock 2 is my favorite controller ever, and if this is going to be an improvement on it then awesome.

The controller is basically the same (layout of the buttons and analog sticks) except its a different shape, and if it ends up being as comfortable as the gif in the OP suggests then awesome.

And I personally prefer the analog sticks next to eachother.

Same with me, the Dualshock is the best controller I have ever held in my life. I never saw a problem with it to begin with. It may look a bit diffrent but then again all the consoles have a diffrent looking controller. I think that it will be a fine controller and those who do not like it could simply get third party controllers.

#26 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2005 - 04:01 AM

The original joystick.:lol:

Who else loves this guy----> :joystick:

#27 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2005 - 06:25 AM

Who else loves this guy----> :joystick:

How could I have forgotten to post that?#-o

Now playing (& watching):
:ps3:-Binary Domain
:br:-Game of Thrones season 1
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#28 dpatel

dpatel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:42 AM

Interesting pic. I didn't like the design of the controller either. Not because of its shape, but mainly because I love the Dual Shock2. IMO, it didn't need that much of a change. Anyway, I will try it out before I say anything.

#29 Kayden

Kayden

Posted 02 December 2005 - 02:53 PM

The PS2 controller has to be the single most emulated controller ever. Look at all the PC gamepads that look 99% like the Dual Shock.

Posted Image Posted Image

Kayden you would be awesome in Congress.

#30 Puffa469

Puffa469

is too Pro Shops

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2005 - 03:18 PM

it could be worse... it could be this!

Posted Image

the worst controller ever imo...

Originally Posted by wubb Posted Image
Puffa is pretty much always dead on.