Photo
- - - - -

CheapyD tours Akihabara with fellow CAG thakingrocka + Gaijin vs Nihonjin DOA4 Action

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:59 AM

I was able to meet up with fellow Japan-based CAG thakingrocka this weekend for a little game shopping tour. He showed me where the import stores (American games) were located, as well as some other cool spots.

During our journeys, we came across this one store (I believe it is named Super Potato) that seem to have eveything a gaming fan could hope for, and more. It was very crowded (and hot), so I will have to back during the week and get some more pictures.

Got Famicom? If not, this place had a bunch available...cheap. They were priced based on condition. I think all were under $20 with most under $10.

click for larger image
Posted Image

Click for larger image

Posted Image

You don't see a working one of these everyday:
click for larger image
Posted Image

During our expedition, we came across a store with a playable DOA 4 kiosk out on the street. It was a winner stays affair, with some guys from Tecmo there calling the play by play.

Posted Image

A big fan of fighting games, thakingrocka was not scared. He stepped up and chose Hitmomi.

Posted Image

Representing CAG well, thakingrocka took down his Japanese opponent.
I have this crappy video (open with Quicktime) taken on my cellphone. I pretty sure the loser commited seppuku afterwards.

Not doing as well against his second opponent, our fellow CAG was defeated, but put up a good fight. Note the smile not only on thekingrocka's face, but also his opponent. It seems the announcer is happy as well that everyone is saved from further embarassment (and ritual disembowelment).

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:22 PM

Why didn't you step up to DOA4 and show 'em who's boss?

Oh, and you have to get one of those Tecmo jackets. You'd be a pimp walking around Tokyo in that thing.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#3 doodle777_98

doodle777_98

Trade me your nes games.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:30 PM

The man seemed all pissed off after he lost. sore loser.

Read my Short Stories on deviant Art.
Ebay stuff: I always have stuff on ebay. $2 off shipping for CAGs
swagbucks-468x60.jpg

#4 Photomotoz

Photomotoz

Magic Missile!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:52 PM

Why the hell don't we gots stores like thems here! I wants me some Famicoms!

#5 the3rdkey

the3rdkey

Foot Cheap Ass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:58 PM

My friend in America video games are for nerds and little kids. American the land of the stereo types that live long and free!
Posted Image

#6 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:29 PM

That clear store case has some cool box art for Duck Hunt and Punch-Out! in it that's worth looking at. So did you buy anything Mr. Cheapy?
My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#7 weevles

weevles

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:06 PM

Damn, I miss Japan!

#8 Dr Mario Kart

Dr Mario Kart

SD/2D Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:15 PM

Why didn't you step up to DOA4 and show 'em who's boss?

Maybe he already had his RDA recommended dose of embarrassment?

#9 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:24 PM

Maybe he already had his RDA recommended dose of embarrassment?

Oh, c'mon, I'm sure there wasn't anybody from Joystiq there to see it. :)
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#10 cdeener

cdeener

Love Those Price Drops!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:04 PM

I always wanted to get a Famicom and Virtual Boy but I stop collecting systems a while ago but nice to see that they are still up for sale for cheap in the land of the rising sun.
Never settle for full price unless you have no other choice. ;)

#11 praystation

praystation

He@d Cheap Arse

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:13 PM

Nice topic title.
Posted Image

#12 Graystone

Graystone

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:21 PM

Very nice. In the 5th pick for some reason I thought that thakingrocka was the Japanese fellow. That makes sense :roll: That it couldn't be the American looking fellow but the Japanese man.

#13 Zero_Kirby

Zero_Kirby

Posted 22 December 2005 - 10:44 PM

Very Nice

#14 controlcommerce

controlcommerce

My Sega CD broke

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2005 - 01:09 AM

Mr. Cheapy,
What are the average prices of American NES and Famicom games over there?

Posted Image

#15 ryanbph

ryanbph

Posted 23 December 2005 - 01:18 AM

good working kicking some ass thakingrocka

Posted Image

#16 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:14 PM

Did you go to the Japanese vintage store there too? It's called Arcade or something like that and the #2 store is what carries shit like PC-FX and so on which I missed when I was there. sighes. One thing I noticed about Super Potato was that ALL the vintage stuff was overpriced. If anyone here wants vintage Japan only consoles or games I suggest you do auctions. Speaking of which Cheapy do you know how much it would cost me to get a PO Box there to have Japan only stuff shipped to?
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#17 asianxcore

asianxcore

...to the moon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:50 PM

damn thats a rad store. would've been fun to see people play DOA 4 on the street like that.

I want to go to Japan :(

#18 clockworkvictim

clockworkvictim

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:31 AM

Akihabara is the shit.
I wish I had found that store in the hour I spent there....
Oh well, I got a wonderswan and FFIV for like $10 bucks which was worth the trip/

#19 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:16 PM

You fucking kidding me clock? Granted that was a good sale I have to say after I saw Yongsan, well I was more impressed with that. Aki also disappointed me for the large amount of current stuff compared to old and the sheer lack of stores in said area compared to Yongsan.
Posted Image

#20 Danro

Danro

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:13 PM

I think it might be cheaper to import an NES from over there than here in the US, hell people want an arm and a leg for em.

Nice pic quality CD, get some more please and thank you.
Posted Image

#21 22samurai

22samurai

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:19 PM

for those of you who are interesed, the DOA4 poster says "sekai de ichiban ustukushii", which means (mostly) literally, "Number-one gorgeous in the world" - which is kind of a play on words, since utsukushii is a word for beauty usally associated with breathtaking women - are they talking about the game or the girls in the game? :)

#22 HeadRusch

HeadRusch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:35 PM

My friend in America video games are for nerds and little kids. American the land of the stereo types that live long and free!

Videogames have never been for nerds, Computers were for nerds. Videogames were only for little kids. Period.

And a curious followup: You guys collecting vintage games/systems, I guess since I keep all my systems I have a bit of a collection myself, but nothing you couldn't get here in the states at any time. Colecto Telstar (first edition) is my oldest with the Intellivision/ATari bringing up the rear. I might get a Ballys Astrocade someday, but only if I see it for free cuz....those kinda sucked hard.

My point: When you guys buy vintage, are you buying because of cool games, cool features, or just on rarity of the item?

Example: Would you rather buy Yars Revenge for the Atari cuz its fun to play, or would you buy Waterworld because its pretty rare...

#23 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2006 - 01:06 AM

Head it's kind of a combination of both though I'm not gonna bag a shit game just because it's rare. I want D2 for the M2 because it was more a continuation of the first to my knowledge and I want to see what Eno had in store for the second plus it's the fucking M2. PC-FX because it has this HIGHLY slanted Japanese Pop culture game I wanna try, see a bitch to translate but unfortunately the FAQ on it for GameFAQ's on it went down so I don't remember the name but I think it's rare on the PC-FX. Marty because it had one of the best versions of Ultima and I wanna try it. Duo has plenty of good games like Dracula X which is suppose to be the BEST traditional Castlevania plus I need to pick up "Loom" for it because it's in English and beats potentially needing to get an old computer that's bigger to play it, see problem like KQ potentially.
What else? I need a GP32 for Astonishia Story R and Cutey Fatty, which is a weight loss shooter. Still need to pick up all the editions of Softmax games with the big books and the PC LE DVD-ROM's of the Y's remake. You wouldn't believe how many people overlook the import PC market even though it's just more RPG's for ya sometimes though a LOT of the stuff is shit Military Sims. like Koei puts out.
Posted Image

#24 HeadRusch

HeadRusch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2006 - 01:43 AM

Thats crazy, but I can understand it......I have some old VIDEOGAME magazines from the 80's, and then some from the early 90's when the SNES and Turbografx were hot. I think back then everyone was talking about the PC-FX (if memory servers)....

Personally I dont have any real jones to get my hands on aging Japanese tech, there's too much stateside I'd probably buy if I had unlimited funds, but even I admit that alot of the stuff I'd be weould be...........well...it would be crap. I mean, games so basic that I'd never really even play the things.

I have an intellivision that I used to play all the freakin time.....back when it was new....but I'm not going to bust it out to play a few rounds of Microsurgeon, as rose-colored as my glasses might be :)

#25 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:11 AM

Thats crazy, but I can understand it......I have some old VIDEOGAME magazines from the 80's, and then some from the early 90's when the SNES and Turbografx were hot. I think back then everyone was talking about the PC-FX (if memory servers)....

Personally I dont have any real jones to get my hands on aging Japanese tech, there's too much stateside I'd probably buy if I had unlimited funds, but even I admit that alot of the stuff I'd be weould be...........well...it would be crap. I mean, games so basic that I'd never really even play the things.

I have an intellivision that I used to play all the freakin time.....back when it was new....but I'm not going to bust it out to play a few rounds of Microsurgeon, as rose-colored as my glasses might be :)

Yeah but screenshots from Team Innocent, well it still looks pretty good while RE looks like complete shit now for the most part. Team Innocent was like RE with pre-rendered backgrounds BUT the characters were Anime styled not Polygonal. D2 for M2 is more a story and concept issue for me. As for US audience I HATE most peoples taste in the U.S. market, i.e. most American game makers can't do a plot for shit and most have their head too far up the FPS's ass though people can try to argue and compare to RPG's Grandia as compared to Final Fantasy and Tales Of Symphonia the battle system is different though Grandia's and Tales are a bit different. Look for shit like that in FPS's, you can't make them that much different much as FPS fans would argue otherwise. However I wouldn't mind $ into Adventure games if there was truly something worthwhile and rare but for the most part there isn't however I've heard good things about Star Control 2 so perhaps I should try that.
Oh yeah and look for ONE game exactly like "Battle Heat", NO one has replicated that exactly. Yeah, yeah Viewful Joe, JSR, but none of those are FPV fighter styled in a cel-shaded setup.
Posted Image

#26 BIGmog

BIGmog

Posted 16 January 2006 - 03:53 PM

No you don't. The Famicom is just as big of POS if not bigger than the NES.

The Famicom also suffers from dirty contacts and white screens when you try to play a game. Except blowing on carts isn't as effective. (was it ever effective?)

Plus the controller cords are like 1 meter long and they can't be disconnected from the system. So if the controllers are worn out, it's a real pain to replace them. Oh and the second player control doesn't have start and select buttons so that player can't pause the game.

The only reason to buy a famicom is for the nostalgia. But if you didn't grow up with one, it's probably not all that nostalgic.

#27 BIGmog

BIGmog

Posted 16 January 2006 - 03:57 PM

One thing I noticed about Super Potato was that ALL the vintage stuff was overpriced.

You're exactly right. And the staff at Super Potato screws foreigners by asking for even more. It's a great place to look. Just don't buy anything there. At least not at the Akihabara one. The Super Potato in Den Den Town (Osaka) is much bigger and they're fair.

#28 HeadRusch

HeadRusch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:00 PM

So is there still that huge reported social ostracisim between foreigners and natives in Japan?? Are Gaijin embraced, or merely tolerated :)

#29 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2006 - 11:57 AM

You're exactly right. And the staff at Super Potato screws foreigners by asking for even more. It's a great place to look. Just don't buy anything there. At least not at the Akihabara one. The Super Potato in Den Den Town (Osaka) is much bigger and they're fair.

I also noticed a place in Nakano that somewhat overpriced shit but it wasn't TERRIBLY bad. It was in a mall right off the El train's stop
Thanks for the info about Super Potato and the overpriced thing. I honestly think they're being assholes about that. I resent if a Japanese owner thinks I should pay MORE for a person just because I'm a Gaijin. Shit Japanese music and DVD's are already overpriced enough as-is. You know anything about the "Trader" store BIGmog?
Posted Image

#30 oceanfr

oceanfr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:01 PM

cool pictures