• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:46 AM

Better late than never!

Imagine my suprise when Mrs. Cheapy suggested we hit up The Xbox 360 Lounge this weekend. It was part of a trip to Harajuku, which is one of Tokyo's trendy shopping districts, as well as home to their goth/cosplay scene. The 360 lounge is closing on February 12th, so we just made it before Microsoft closes its doors.

Click images for larger size

Harajuku - More pictures from Google Images
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Exterior of Xbox 360 Lounge

The couches appear on your left when you first enter the Lounge. DOA4 (with 2 Hori sticks) and Ninety-Nine Nights were playable. A table in the back left corner is setup with free internet access. The standing kiosks had playable versions of Wrestle Kingdom, NBA Live 2006, Kameo, Ninety-Nine Nights, Project Gotham Racing 3, and 2 with [eM] -eNCHANT arM-. Check out the giant 360 Guide button protruding from the ceiling.

You can see the the bar area here which is where we ordered up a 360 Cake (420¥) & 360 Yogurt Drink (360¥), which was Kiwi flavored. Like almost every food I've had in Japan, they were quite good.
I took home two of those 360 coasters ;)
Posted Image Posted Image

Of course there were a few Xbox 360 related items available for sale. They had coffee cups, pins, t-shirts and mousepads, none of which were very interesting.

There were many custom faceplates on display. I didn't photograph all of them, but here are the highlights. After I took the group faceplate photo, the hostess told Mrs. Cheapy that photographs were not allowed. Luckily, I was already finished with my pictures, so I just smiled and said sumimasen (excuse me) as I hit the save button on my phone camera and walked out the door.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

As you can see, the 360 Lounge is a pretty cool place. I guess if I have two complaints it would be:
1) Not enough kiosks
2) No merchandise worth buying

#2 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:34 AM

O_o looks sexy
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Posted Image

Avatar record spinning: Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis EP

#3 maxg

maxg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:16 AM

What'd you think of Harajuku? I couldn't believe the ammount of crepes stores that were in that area. I guess it's the trendy food down in that section of Tokyo. Didn't try any crepes. Should of but went with Coco Curry House instead.

#4 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:34 PM

They're closing that place down huh? I thought it was part of Microsoft's strategy to get more Japanese people interested in the 360? I guess since the system took a big old belly flop they figured they'd close up shop. I wonder what will happen to all that stuff. I can just imagine J. Allerd putting that guide button in his house.
My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#5 evanft

evanft

Wombat needs Nutrisystem.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2006 - 03:34 PM

I'm starting to think Mrs. Cheapy doesn't actually exist.

#6 ryanbph

ryanbph

Posted 06 February 2006 - 03:43 PM

thanks for the images....why are they closing?

Posted Image

#7 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2006 - 03:49 PM

Not enough consoles in the lounge? In Japan? Who are they trying to kid?

I kinda want that faceplate with the silver studs and heart on it.. my girlfriend's getting a 360 soon (all because of hexic) and she wants something like that.

I definately want that 360 mousepad.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 06 February 2006 - 03:52 PM

They're closing that place down huh? I thought it was part of Microsoft's strategy to get more Japanese people interested in the 360? I guess since the system took a big old belly flop they figured they'd close up shop. I wonder what will happen to all that stuff. I can just imagine J. Allerd putting that guide button in his house.

It was only temporary in the first place... They actually kept it open longer than they planned originally.

#9 the3rdkey

the3rdkey

Foot Cheap Ass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:15 PM

It is a shame that the longue probably did not nothing for the 360's sales.
Posted Image

#10 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:42 PM

After I took the group faceplate photo, the hostess told Mrs. Cheapy that photographs were not allowed. Luckily, I was already finished with my pictures, so I just smiled and said sumimasen (excuse me) as I hit the save button on my phone camera and walked out the door.

Obviously, Microsoft wants no photo evidence that this Japan debacle ever existed. :)
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#11 ananag112

ananag112

CAGS FOR COCO!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:10 PM

Wow...that cake looks pretty good. How big is the "lounge" compared to the Nintendo store in NYC CheayD? Which one did you like better?
Posted Image

#12 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:14 AM

What'd you think of Harajuku? I couldn't believe the ammount of crepes stores that were in that area. I guess it's the trendy food down in that section of Tokyo. Didn't try any crepes. Should of but went with Coco Curry House instead.

Harajuku is pretty cool, but I am not really into trendy clothing stores. Plus, it was pretty cold that day. No, we didn't have any crepes, but I have been to CoCo Ichiban many times!

I definately want that 360 mousepad.

The mousepad kind of sucked. It had some kind of clear gel inside with "floating" 360 logos, so it wasn't completely flat. I don't think it would make for a quality mousepad.

Wow...that cake looks pretty good. How big is the "lounge" compared to the Nintendo store in NYC CheayD? Which one did you like better?

Yes, the cake was pretty good!
I prefer the Nintendo Store. Not only is the store physically bigger (with more playable kiosks), when the weather is nice Nintendo has events outside in Rockefeller Center. Also, there is a much wider selection of merchandise available in the Nintendo Store (many of which is reasonably priced). I guess the only thing the Nintendo Store is lacking is food and drink service (although they do have Nintendo bottled watter).

#13 Photomotoz

Photomotoz

Magic Missile!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:23 AM

Haha, I like the faceplate that says "Console"! Also the 360 cake thing looks so yummy!

#14 Ikohn4ever

Ikohn4ever

No Women, No Children

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:31 AM

I prefer the Nintendo Store. Not only is the store physically bigger (with more playable kiosks), when the weather is nice Nintendo has events outside in Rockefeller Center. Also, there is a much wider selection of merchandise available in the Nintendo Store (many of which is reasonably priced). I guess the only thing the Nintendo Store is lacking is food and drink service (although they do have Nintendo bottled watter).

speaking of outdoor events at the nintendo store, here is a couple pics of my friend getting excited while meeting mario and luigi

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
"Men have become the tools of their tools." - Thoreau
Smash Code
1805-1831-0940 Ikohn
Posted ImagePosted Image DVDs My Games

#15 ananag112

ananag112

CAGS FOR COCO!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:14 AM

Yes, the cake was pretty good!

I bought the Nintendo water bottle the last time I was there.

I thought the Nintendo store was pretty small. From pictures I saw, I thought this place was bigger. Maybe its just because I always skip the Pokemon place and go directly up to play the GameCube games?
Posted Image

#16 Tyga24

Tyga24

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:56 AM

Some pretty cool stuff there Cheapy, too bad there shutting it down. I guess you can't say that Microsoft didn't put any effort into the Japanese 360 launch.

#17 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:09 AM

I bought the Nintendo water bottle the last time I was there.

I thought the Nintendo store was pretty small. From pictures I saw, I thought this place was bigger. Maybe its just because I always skip the Pokemon place and go directly up to play the GameCube games?

The downstairs at the Nintendo Store is not just Pokemon, they have a GBA and DS area too.

#18 Sejad

Sejad

Brotherhood of Steel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:53 AM

Yo Cheapy what are you gonna do with the Coasters , sell them on ebay????

#19 radjago

radjago

Long-time CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:11 AM

I like how the sit-down stations have Pioneer plasma TVs whereas the stand-up kiosks have Samsung LCD TVs with the bezel covered up.

The Hori sticks for DOA4 are a nice touch as well.

#20 rajchakrabarti

rajchakrabarti

Your Soul is Mine.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:20 AM

speaking of outdoor events at the nintendo store, here is a couple pics of my friend getting excited while meeting mario and luigi

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was waiting for you to post those eventually !!!!
"That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten."

Posted Image

my collection : http://users.ign.com.../rajchakrabarti

#21 gofishn

gofishn

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:34 AM

Am I the only one who finds the name of the street in the first picture humorous?

#22 Graystone

Graystone

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:47 AM

Why in every pic cheapy takes there people looking like what is this giant American doing. :lol: Look at the pic of the 360 lounge door. You can see women looking at him like wtf.

#23 Graystone

Graystone

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:48 AM

Am I the only one who finds the name of the street in the first picture humorous?

:rofl: Thats a good one.

#24 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:54 AM

hahhahahaah

Is that takeshit or takeshita? can't tell if that A is real or not, it looks weird

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#25 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:57 AM

Why in every pic cheapy takes there people looking like what is this giant American doing. :lol: Look at the pic of the 360 lounge door. You can see women looking at him like wtf.

Lol. Maybe CheapyD should get shirts made that say "I mean you no harm" in Japanese.
My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#26 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:28 PM

Welcome to my world.

#27 Graystone

Graystone

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:05 PM

Welcome to my world.

:rofl:

#28 Leggo

Leggo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:32 AM

Not enough consoles in the lounge? In Japan? Who are they trying to kid?

I kinda want that faceplate with the silver studs and heart on it.. my girlfriend's getting a 360 soon (all because of hexic) and she wants something like that.

Cross your fingers and hope she doesnt realize that she's paying 400 dollars for something she can play for free on MSN games.

http://zone.msn.com/en/hexic/game.htm