Photo
- - - - -

Anyone else think that this is the best season of the Shield?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:44 AM

man that was just fucking awesome. I know it was a little predictable and all, but they almost had me believing that there was some real shit going down.

please don't post spoilers without markers for west coast posters

Posted Image

#2 wubb

wubb

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:45 PM

Dude, I was just about to make a thread about that episode!

I'd suggest we just go ahead and mark this thread as containing spoilers up through the latest episode (aired Tuesday 2/7) to be safe and leave it at that. West Coast isn't an issue any longer obviously, although people that Tivo/tape may be FUBARed. All I ask is that no one post spoilers for epis that have yet to be aired.

Anyway my post will contain spoilers below this point

***SPOILERS***
***SPOILERS***
***SPOILERS***
***SPOILERS***
***SPOILERS***

The scene the episode before last where Vic confronted his turned informant was freaking amazing. Some of The Shield's best scenes are where Vic gets really visceral especially when he's one on one.

After the first 2 or so epis this season I was thinking they were going to keep Vic and Kavanaugh apart until late in the season when they'd have some sort of explosive confontration as their first shared scene. But obviously that is not how they played it out.

And yes this latest episode was great. I sat there with my jaw dropped while FFing (Tivo) through the commercial break after Vic shot the dude. I was thinking WTF? Where's the show going from here? But Vic is always one step ahead.

Anyway The Shield is definitely my favorite show currently on TV. Glenn Close last season and Forest Whitaker this season? Unreal. Too bad Close didn't want to stay on for this season, but the new captain is playing well IMO.

I also loved Over There (another FX series) that unfortunately got canned after 1 season. Rescue Me doesn't do it for me though. Watched a snip of one episode and the dialog was so bad I flipped it off. I think it was the premiere of S2, I figured the show had so much critical acclaim I needed to give it a shot, but meh. Hoping Thief (starts in March) will be another winner for them.

As for if this is the best season or not... I don't know. I just watched S3 on DVD and it was outstanding. (Major S3 spoilers follow...) The scene with Shane and his girlfriend nearly killing Tevon was one of the best of the entire series. And then the scene in the final episode where Vic and Shane confront each other one on one is just a classic example of what makes this show the best thing on television IMO.

#3 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:16 PM

I think I might have to agree with Wubb, season 3 was pretty damn spectacular. Mainly because you start out watching it think, what now, they've got all the money train money so why worry about anything. When, in reality, it was just the beginning.

#4 ryanbph

ryanbph

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:19 PM

season 3 was pretty fucking good....so far season 5 has been great.

*****POSSIBLE SPOILER*****

They had originally planned for this to be the last season. The exec producer shawn ryan recently said he would determine mid season if this was going to be it or not. I hope this isn't the end for it

I wonder where they are going to go from here, as forrest did sort of bust his nut on his investigation last night.

Posted Image

#5 sblymnlcrymnl

sblymnlcrymnl

married ... with children

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:24 PM

I haven't started watching this season, as I never finished last season. And I've still not seen season 1 past the first episode. :oops:

#6 wubb

wubb

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:30 PM

ryan - The current season is actually #5. (Unless I missed your meaning there.) It's funny because I was confused on that too for some reason. I thought the season with Close was #3 and that after watching S1 and S2 on DVD I was all caught up. But sometime after S4 ended I realized that I had actually missed an entire other season I needed to pick up on DVD :lol:

#7 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:33 PM

season 3 was pretty fucking good....so far season 4 has been great.

*****POSSIBLE SPOILER*****

They had originally planned for this to be the last season. The exec producer shawn ryan recently said he would determine mid season if this was going to be it or not. I hope this isn't the end for it

I wonder where they are going to go from here, as forrest did sort of bust his nut on his investigation last night.

We're on season 5 right now.

Season 1- Can't really remember any over-arcing storyline, could be wrong though.
Season 2- Money Train
Season 3- Armenian Mob/Money Train coverup
Season 4- Glenn Close, Antwon Mitchell/Shane stuff

#8 ryanbph

ryanbph

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:35 PM

whoops, fixed it...I watch to much damm tv

Posted Image

#9 craven_fiend

craven_fiend

It Gives You Wings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:41 PM

I've seen up to the beginning of season 5 of this show, and can say I hope they can make atleast 2 or 3 more seasons. Or atleast extend the seasons, as I don't understand why the are so short. An 18-21 episode season would be great.
Posted Image

#10 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:56 PM

Didn't the ordeal with Ben take place in Season 1, or did that go into season 2 as well?

also I agree about season 3 being great. It is definately my favorite of the past seasons.

Posted Image

#11 karsh

karsh

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:11 PM

Last night's episode was definitely one of my favorite episodes of The Shield. Between Vic being Vic (albeit very slyly) and Kavanaugh's absolute freak out at the end, it was just amazing. I had a feeling it was all a setup to catch IAD, but damn if it wasn't still awesome. Next week looks just as awesome. But yeah. I can't decide between this season or season 3 as the best season. They're definitely both up there so far.

Posted Image

#12 WAJedi

WAJedi

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:59 PM

I've seen up to the beginning of season 5 of this show, and can say I hope they can make atleast 2 or 3 more seasons. Or atleast extend the seasons, as I don't understand why the are so short. An 18-21 episode season would be great.

This season is 23 episodes i believe. That's why alot of people feel that this could be the last season.
Posted Image

#13 craven_fiend

craven_fiend

It Gives You Wings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:59 AM

lockbuster.com

This season is 23 episodes i believe. That's why alot of people feel that this could be the last season.

Hopefully thats more of a sign of things to come, instead of it truly being the last season. I know Sean Ryan has another show, a 24esque show on CBS, but it'd be cool if he juggled both.
Posted Image

#14 Ikohn4ever

Ikohn4ever

No Women, No Children

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:13 AM

one of the best shows on tv right now, Vic was nuts this past episode. But K lays it on pretty hard to his wife next ep, should be interesting
"Men have become the tools of their tools." - Thoreau
Smash Code
1805-1831-0940 Ikohn
Posted ImagePosted Image DVDs My Games

#15 ryanbph

ryanbph

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:07 PM

this show just keeps on getting better and better...excellent episode last night...

Posted Image

#16 ryanbph

ryanbph

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:09 PM

new episode on tonight. A little bit of spoilers

Spoiler

Posted Image

#17 Ikohn4ever

Ikohn4ever

No Women, No Children

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:06 PM

Spoiler

Smash Code
1805-1831-0940 Ikohn

#18 ryanbph

ryanbph

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:31 AM

Spoiler

well lets hope it isn't to many of them, and shawn ryan, during the summer break will decide to continue on with the shield.

Posted Image

#19 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:59 AM

another solid episode tonight. these next two episodes are going to be great

Posted Image

#20 Ikohn4ever

Ikohn4ever

No Women, No Children

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:31 AM

it feels like the season is tooo short, I cant believe there are only 2 left.
Smash Code
1805-1831-0940 Ikohn

#21 modium

modium

No! Not the Crackslam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:21 AM

Another great episode. Every new episode I see, I'm left speechless by how fucking good this show is. I watched the preview of next week's episode and noticed..
Spoiler

#22 ryanbph

ryanbph

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:30 PM

Another great episode. Every new episode I see, I'm left speechless by how fucking good this show is. I watched the preview of next week's episode and noticed..

Spoiler

that would be awsome, espically when he finds out

Posted Image

#23 Quillion

Quillion

Not Proprietary

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:45 PM

Fucking awesome. After the scene where Cavanaugh and Vic are confronting each other in the lunchroom, I realised I had been holding my breath the whole time. That's amazing.

I'm not worried about Aceveda too much, since the only thing you can trust Aceveda to do is what's best for Aceveda. Vic understands that, Cavanaugh thinks Aceveda will have a consceince.

#24 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:02 PM

I thought it was a decent episode but kind of lacking compared to last week. Its understandable though because every show that's as high intensity as this, 24, etc. neet a show or two of stuff to just set up everything that's coming up. It wasn't really a bad episode of The Shield, just not incredibly exciting.

#25 klwillis45

klwillis45

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:36 PM

I pretty much agree with 3 & 5 being the best. Though a "bad" season doesn't exist, yet. Only 2 episodes left, no way this can be the end but I'm curious to see who won't make it. I'd guess Claudette & Kavanaugh.

Also, did anyone watch "The Unit" yet? Mine's awating me on my dvr. It's from Shawn Ryan AND David Mamet. With those 2 , I don't see how it can't be good.
Posted Image

#26 ryanbph

ryanbph

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:49 PM

I thought it was a decent episode but kind of lacking compared to last week. Its understandable though because every show that's as high intensity as this, 24, etc. neet a show or two of stuff to just set up everything that's coming up. It wasn't really a bad episode of The Shield, just not incredibly exciting.

yeah last nights show was ok for a shield show...but that still is pretty damm good. They have another 11 or so episodes coming out next fall/winter.

I watched the unit, great show...didn't see shawn ryan's name anywhere on the show credits. I did see his name on the cbs website

Posted Image

#27 ryanbph

ryanbph

Posted 14 March 2006 - 06:17 PM

new show on tonight, tv guide speculates this is the best episode for the shield ever. They did say the same about the first 4 episodes of this seasons soprano's, and the first was excellent.

Posted Image

#28 Ikohn4ever

Ikohn4ever

No Women, No Children

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:00 AM

Only 1 ep left, 90 Min spectacular

Spoiler

Smash Code
1805-1831-0940 Ikohn

#29 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:07 AM

new show on tonight, tv guide speculates this is the best episode for the shield ever. They did say the same about the first 4 episodes of this seasons soprano's, and the first was excellent.

It lived up to the hype. That was an amazing episode. BTW, Vic has gotta be one of the biggest pimps in history.

On a serious note, why hasn't Michael Chiklis at least been given a golden globe nomination for his role in the Shield? That scene at the end with the 4 of them talking about Lem's future, very powerful acting by him.

They chose an excellent song at the end of the episode. They've always done a good job of picking music for this show but that was definetly some of the best placement I can ever remember.

Only 1 ep left, 90 Min spectacular

Spoiler

Well it was reported on E! that someone would be dying. They also said that 1, maybe 2, would be dying soon on 24 and that ended up being correct...

#30 ryanbph

ryanbph

Posted 15 March 2006 - 03:58 PM

great episode....

Spoiler

Posted Image