http://www.foxnews.c...,188463,00.html

*Breaking news sort of*

All I can say is that I knew it.

#2 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:21 PM

I think the reaction to this South Park episode would have been a chance for Scientology to really shake that "cult" image by just ignoring it or even laughing at themselves about it. Instead they've solidified this image by having one of their prominent members (probably) being bullied into quitting the show. If people had seen that Scientology doesn't take themselves too seriously to a fault then they might have a slightly higher opinion of it as a whole and the parodies and such would probably taper off. As it is now, they will only get worse.

#3 Fire

Fire

Burn! Burn!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:22 PM

I think the reaction to this South Park episode would have been a chance for Scientology to really shake that "cult" image by just ignoring it or even laughing at themselves about it. Instead they've solidified this image by having one of their prominent members (probably) being bullied into quitting the show. If people had seen that Scientology doesn't take themselves too seriously to a fault then they might have a slightly higher opinion of it as a whole and the parodies and such would probably taper off. As it is now, they will only get worse.

Really, all you have to look to is their poster boy Tom Cruise and his nutso antics. They're amusing yet at the same time quite revealing of this so called "church". If they shut him up a bit (like they should) then perhaps their image would have improved. This just makes everything worse for them.

#4 daschrier

daschrier

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:35 PM

Does anyone aside from hollywood take it seriously anyway?
Posted Image

#5 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:46 PM

They were saying on Howard Stern's show today that Tom Cruise has single handedly gotten that scientology episode pulled from Comedy Central's rotation and they're no longer allowed to air it. I'm not sure what the full story is but apparently he wont let Viacom use his image in Mission Impossible 3 unless Comedy Central agreed to pull that episode.

Posted Image

#6 ZeroSupporT

ZeroSupporT

By Your Powers Combined..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:55 PM

I read a pretty long and compelling article written for Rolling Stone about the religion and was pretty ataken back by the whole thing, interesting enough though is that they are based out of Clearwater Florida, and I was down there for months last year and never saw a one of them, kinda wierd but once I read the indepthness of the group and what they have to do regularly it wierded me out even more.

Very Long but detailed what I didn't know: http://www.rickross..../history92.html

Once again though I totally believe that Scientology is a cult and do not support it.

#7 Purple Flames

Purple Flames

MC Sucka DJ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:17 PM

Well I'm glad to see that he didn't make such a stupid and hypocritial decision himself, but...he's still a scientologist =\

#8 Graystone

Graystone

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:09 AM

I don't belive this article. Trey Parker and Matt Stone both commented on him quitting. I checked his website the last time he updated it was November 1, 2005. It makes no mention of south park at all on his website.

I have a question why do people belive in scientology?
L. Ron Hubbard admitted to making that "religion" only to make money.

#9 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:17 AM

I believe in freedom of religion but I don't believe in trying to push it on others. Tom Cruise and other scientologist should just mind their own business. So someone was making fun of you and your religion? Be a man you god damn pussy.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#10 Graystone

Graystone

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:24 AM

I believe in freedom of religion but I don't believe in trying to push it on others. Tom Cruise and other scientologist should just mind their own business. So someone was making fun of you and your religion? Be a man you god damn pussy.

I agree, if someone makes fun of something you believe in. You have two options;
1. ignore them for they are ignorant, or looking for a fight. but on the otherside of the coin if you can't laugh at yourself. You have problems. The people who think that they are right in everything they do are the most dangerous to us as a people.
2. beat their monkey ass.

#11 Zenithian Legend

Zenithian Legend

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:58 AM

I wonder what Trey Parker and Matt Stone's comments will be in regards to this
Posted Image

#12 corrosivefrost

corrosivefrost

We're done here.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:03 AM

Perhaps their response will come in the response of a new episode... Scientology: The Sequel.

[New season starts this Wednesday @ 10pm EST]

#13 2Fast

2Fast

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:04 AM

I just heard that Tom Cruise successfully pressured Comedy Central into pulling the "Scientology episode" from re-airing. He said he would not do any publicity for Mission Impossible 3 (which is from Paramount, who owns Comedy Central) if his demands weren't met.

#14 darkmere

darkmere

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:33 AM

is it really a bad thing if tom cruise doesn't do any publicity for his movies?

better yet, is it really a bad thing if tom cruise stops making movies?

i've only seen this guy act in 2 films: born on the 4th of july and magnolia. everything else is crap.

#15 I AM WILLIAM H. MACY

I AM WILLIAM H. MACY

William "Hog" Macy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:45 AM

Oh yes, because Fox News is known for it's accuracy.

#16 Guest_Apossum_*

Guest_Apossum_*

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:00 AM

there's the episode...it's kinda funny, but SP ain't what it used to be.

#17 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:07 AM

Oh yes, because Fox News is known for it's accuracy.

I bet it's true, though, because the episode aired quite a while ago (more than a few months). If Isaac Hayes himself was that pissed about it, he would have quit a while back.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#18 Skylander7

Skylander7

Accidental Engineer/Beer Snob

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:16 AM

I'm watching the episode now.. holy fucking shit this episode is incredible

#19 evilmax17

evilmax17

Yardsaling CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:23 AM

http://www.southpark...pic.php?t=18652
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 gregthomas77

gregthomas77

Custom User Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:25 AM

L. Ron Hubbard admitted to making that "religion" only to make money.

Can you point us to that quote?

#21 psiufoxx2

psiufoxx2

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:42 AM

I doubt he could find a reference with any "authenticity". The quote was allegedly from L. Ron Hubbard in an internal memo to high ups within Scientology, and was posted on the net from an Ex-Scientologist.

I find it hella funny that his OWN son essentially disowned his father for taking advantage of people and raping their money out of them.

#22 Mr.Answer

Mr.Answer

want a spatula?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:49 AM

Writing a penny a word is ridiculous, if a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion.

(from http://www.sweenytod...dhesaythis.html)
This is a very famous quote. I believe that something is only as strong as the foundations on which it is built. The foundations of Scientology are L Ron Hubbard, and this is why I'm including this quote.

A good discussion on this is found here. More information can be found on the Urban Legends web site

The Church's media guide tells reporters that the rumor is confused, and that it was George Orwell who said it. In 1938, Orwell did write "But I have always thought there might be a lot of cash in starting a new religion...". However, Robert Vaughn Young, who was Scientology's spokesman for 20 years, says that Hubbard learned about the Orwell quote from him. Young further states that he met three people who could remember Hubbard saying more-or-less the famous quote. Nor did Hubbard write a rebuttal of the rumor -- Young claims to have ghost-written the rebuttal in the Rocky Mountain News interview.

I found the following in books about Hubbard and Scientology: "Whenever he was talking about being hard up he often used to say that he thought the easiest way to make money would be to start a religion." -- reporter Neison Himmel: quoted in Bare Faced Messiah p.117 from 1986 interview. Himmel shared a room with LRH, briefly, Pasadena, fall 1945.

"I always knew he was exceedingly anxious to hit big money - he used to say he thought the best way to do it would be to start a cult." -- Sam Merwin, then the editor of the Thrilling SF magazines: quoted in Bare Faced Messiah p.133 from 1986 interview. Winter of 1946/47.

"Around this time he was invited to address a science fiction group in Newark hosted by the writer, Sam Moskowitz. `Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous,' he told the meeting. `If a man really wanted to make a million dollars, the best way to do it would be start his own religion.' -- Bare Faced Messiah p.148. Reference given to LA Times, 27 Aug 78. Supposed to have happened in spring 1949.

On the side of the negative, a court document delcares Jay Kay Klien as saying:

On November 7, 1948, I attended a meeting of the Eastern Science Fiction Associaton at Slovak Sokol Hall in Newark, New Jersey.

L. Ron Hubbard was introduced by Sam Moskowitz as a "Renaissance Man", citing his attainments and accomplishments for this designation.

Nowhere in L. Ron Hubbard's lecture that followed do I recall there having been mention of religion as a means of acquiring money, nor do I recall anything of this nature in the following question and answer period.

Indeed, such material would have been out of place in a talk about the future course of events as they would affect human beings on this planet.

[signed Jay Kay Klien]

Scientology's web pages have a statement on this subject, and it can be found here. They say:
This is an unfounded rumor. One individual once claimed L. Ron Hubbard made such a comment during a lecture in 1948. The only two people who could be found who attended that very lecture in 1948 denied that Mr. Hubbard ever made this statement. And Mr. Hubbard himself certainly denied it [See quoted declaration above - BW].

Another famous writer from the same era who did make such a statement was George Orwell, who wrote to a friend in 1938 that "there might be a lot of cash in starting a new religion." His letter was later published as part of a collection of letters which was circulated widely. It seems that Orwell's comment has been misattributed to Mr. Hubbard. This was recognized by courts in Germany who enjoined those who had attributed such a statement to Mr. Hubbard from repeating it.
Sometimes the beauty of the world is so overwhelming, I just want to throw back my head and gargle. Just gargle and gargle, and I don't care who hears me, because I am beautiful.

#23 Skylander7

Skylander7

Accidental Engineer/Beer Snob

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:52 AM

I doubt he could find a reference with any "authenticity". The quote was allegedly from L. Ron Hubbard in an internal memo to high ups within Scientology, and was posted on the net from an Ex-Scientologist.

I find it hella funny that his OWN son essentially disowned his father for taking advantage of people and raping their money out of them.

Out of curiousity, I did some looking into it a while back. I forget who it was, but L. Ron Hubbard lived with some movie star or director or something for a while. He was quoted as wanting to "come up with [his] own religion, that's where the money is."

Just like Mormonism, Scientology is scrutinized for being a cult. The difference, however, is that the church was founded and quickly began recruiting celebrities for profit and power (whereas Mormonism isolated itself and preached procreation to increase its numbers). That's how they get influence, through leeching off of its members. It's too bad that millions of brainwashed people follow the preachings of a guy who likely mixed acid with his own get rich quick scheme, and somehow succeeded. I sometimes wonder how many people joined the church out of America's favorite past time: idolizing and worship of the celebrity.

#24 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:02 AM

I'm just wondering if we should start to fear a religion that manages to gather America's rich, powerful, and "cultural elite" (celebrities) in one group. If Tom Cruise can single handedly manipulate a company as large as Viacom just think what the Church of Scientology as a whole may be able to do. And before you immediately think, "get out the foil hats!" .. think of this: How many politicans/lawmakers could easily be guided by the will of celebrities and their friends?

Posted Image

#25 sblymnlcrymnl

sblymnlcrymnl

married ... with children

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:16 AM

there's the episode...it's kinda funny, but SP ain't what it used to be.

Watched it, pretty funny. They certainly got alot of mileage out of one joke. :lol:

#26 2poor

2poor

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:12 AM

Tom Cruise is a bigity bitch.

#27 Guest_Apossum_*

Guest_Apossum_*

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:28 AM

Watched it, pretty funny. They certainly got alot of mileage out of one joke. :lol:

the closet thing was kinda funny still after the first few. the R.kelly one was just stupid. the vatican episode was so much better. Great message though.

"Scientologists really believe this"

:lol: so much for subtlety

#28 fart_bubble

fart_bubble

A fart that says "Ni"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:39 AM

They did get the IRS to back down in 92 or 93 I believe.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

#29 j.elles

j.elles

Gaming Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:46 AM

Hope he recovers and hope he returns to the show. The man is great. Plus he doesn't get royalties from his songs anymore. Thats fucked up right there.
"The future changes as we stand here, else we are the game pieces of the gods, not their heirs, as we have been promised."
"Tanis comes to me for advice, not because I am a seer. He comes because I am able to think, which is something most of these other fools seem incapable of doing."-Raistlin

#30 humidore

humidore

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:53 AM

I wonder if they're gonna just use old sound clips for him in the season opener, since "he's back"....That'd be hilarious. The original (not influenced by current events) episodes of late have been great.

Gimme more Jimmy I say.