Photo
- - - - -

Far Cry Instincts: Predator, GRAW, Tomb Raider, and other 360 games, $40 at Play-Asia

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:47 AM

It's the Asian edition, but has English and will work on a US 360 (according to Play-Asia). Shipping is $3.10.

Thanks to mackaikai for the heads up!

Far Cry Instincts Predator

Other $40 Asian editions witih English that work on US 360's:
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
Call of Duty 2
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Gun
Quake 4
Tomb Raider: Legend
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

:360:Play Asia's Xbox 360 Compatibility Guide

Notes from this thread:

Save $5 off $40+ when you pay with paypal

Ordered on 4/2, it shipped 4/3, and I got the game today on 4/8. So that was a really nice turnaround for something that was shipping from overseas.

#2 graf1k

graf1k

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:52 AM

Yeah, its the same deal for Blazing Angels too. And GRAW too. Seems like 360 Ubisoft games in general are not region coded.

Does anyone know if this would effect the XBox Live play any? I'm guessing not but I'd rather not be rudely awakened after the fact.

#3 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:05 AM

Why as a company would you CHOOSE to do this?! I don't get it.
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#4 generalpatton71

generalpatton71

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:08 AM

Yeah, its the same deal for Blazing Angels too. And GRAW too. Seems like 360 Ubisoft games in general are not region coded.

Does anyone know if this would effect the XBox Live play any? I'm guessing not but I'd rather not be rudely awakened after the fact.

Good question I'd like to know the awnser also.
Posted Image

#5 explorer1990

explorer1990

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2006 - 12:55 PM

Never ordered from Play-Asia.com, but I'm curious. $43 for a 360 game is a great deal especially on a new game. Anyway, are the Asian versions of games still sealed with the Microsoft Security Seal and the same tight shrinkwrap? Just curious.

Thanks.
The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men

CAG Trade List: http://cheapassgamer...ead.php?t=81267

#6 graf1k

graf1k

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:24 PM

I'm sure, but I wouldn't count on buying a whole bunch and returning them at other stores. I would imagine the bar code is different.

BTW, Tomb Raider Legends is another title to add to the list of $40 Asian version games that apparently work in a US 360.

#7 Ruined

Ruined

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:39 PM

I wonder if you'd be able to log onto US Live servers with these titles?

#8 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:50 PM

Someone has to be the guinea pig and find out.
Posted Image

#9 seebelow

seebelow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:02 PM

Someone has to be the guinea pig and find out.

I ordered FarCry last weekend, mostly out of curiosity. As soon as I get it, I can report whether or not it works with Live and any other differences I can discern without actually having the actual US version on-hand to compare.

#10 atheist_uberboy

atheist_uberboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:07 PM

I ordered FarCry last weekend, mostly out of curiosity. As soon as I get it, I can report whether or not it works with Live and any other differences I can discern without actually having the actual US version on-hand to compare.

Thanks for being willing to do that. Your report will have a great deal of impact on my decision to pull the trigger.

#11 flybrione

flybrione

Guitar Solo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:20 PM

I ordered Blazing Angels a while ago and it is been confirmed to be on its was to my house last week. I mentioned this in the 360 thread numerous times but most people shrugged it off. So I decided to give it a shot and order a copy.

As mentioned they also have GRAW, Far Cry, Blazing Angels and just added this week Tomb Raider Legend all on $39.90 with a $3.10 shipping charge.

If I am successful at getting the game working both on and offline I will be buying Tomb Raider next.

I contacted Play-Asia directly about Blazing Angels and they guaranteed the game would work but not sure if it would work online in the US.

I will be posting a full report on Cover Artwork and Instructions Languages, if the game is indeed in full english including game menus and if it works on and offline.

I guess I would be the official guinea pig.

#12 phantomfriar2002

phantomfriar2002

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:20 PM

I'm going to try and search out the post I read, but I believe you can sign into Live and play with no problem on these games. If I remember correctly the game's region encoding (or lack of it) doesn't affect what servers you sign into (EDIT: just found another comment on those lines from a CAG'er in this thread: http://cheapassgamer...hlight=playasia)

Also, I can't see why it would be an issue -- it's not as if you've hacked your Xbox or done any modifications at all to play these games. They play straight out of the box, which isn't the fault of the consumer.

#13 CoffeeEdge

CoffeeEdge

Resident Communaut

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:22 PM

Play-Asia is legit, people. They're one of the best importers, bar none.
Hi...

DID SOMEBODY SAY "TOOT"?!?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image I WILL MOTHERF--KING BAN THE F--KING SHIT OUT OF YOU Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 ZForce

ZForce

Humbling Pumpkin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:31 PM

I think it's funny that GRAW, Far Cry and Tomb Raider are all $40, but Kameo is $65

#15 Jimbo Slice

Jimbo Slice

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:36 AM

Tag'D

Wanna see how Live play works before biting

#16 DomLando

DomLando

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:57 AM

Play-Asia is legit, people. They're one of the best importers, bar none.

Agreed

#17 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:22 PM

Marking this topic to await the results...

#18 explorer1990

explorer1990

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2006 - 01:54 PM

Did you guys notice that No Software is eligible for returns if defective. Go to their help screen.

"Please note that software purchases are excluded from warranty and exchange"

That doesn't seem very fair.

Still, $40.

I think this week Best Buy will have Tomb Raider for 360 at $49.99 so if you use one of those coupons ($5 off) in the best buy coupon book you could get it for $45. Not a bad deal either.
The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men

CAG Trade List: http://cheapassgamer...ead.php?t=81267

#19 ajh2298

ajh2298

2009 Stanley Cup Champs

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:05 PM

BIG UPDATE

Just got my Far-Cry in the mail and they just sent me just the normal NTSC version, no extra instructions in asian just the normal version I could go and buy down my street for $60.00 but I got it for $43.00.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

#20 mackaikai

mackaikai

Even my gf calls me CHEAP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:16 PM

REPOST in a way! lol, haha

http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=87535
Posted Image

my tradelist: here

Posted Image Posted Image

#21 Jimbo Slice

Jimbo Slice

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:34 PM

BIG UPDATE

Just got my Far-Cry in the mail and they just sent me just the normal NTSC version, no extra instructions in asian just the normal version I could go and buy down my street for $60.00 but I got it for $43.00.

Damn that's pretty bomb... wonder if we all get the same results?

#22 SteveMcQ

SteveMcQ

I love Panda!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:04 PM

...no extra instructions in asian just the normal version...

Hehe.

Nice deal.

#23 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:33 PM

BIG UPDATE

About how long did the whole order take to ship? I'm considering ordering 3 games from them.

#24 ajh2298

ajh2298

2009 Stanley Cup Champs

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2006 - 11:02 PM

About how long did the whole order take to ship? I'm considering ordering 3 games from them.

Ordered on 4/2, it shipped 4/3, and I got the game today on 4/8. So that was a really nice turnaround for something that was shipping from overseas.

#25 ispeshaled

ispeshaled

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:38 AM

Is the UPC the same as the retail version? Is it the same game?

#26 Gycot

Gycot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:14 AM

the question EVERONE wants to ask - do the achievements work? :) we are all holding our breath watching your xbox gamertag!

#27 joeposh

joeposh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:20 AM

Is the UPC the same as the retail version? Is it the same game?

That's Ubisofts dirty little secret... it's the same as the US game. Same packaging, instructions, disc, etc just with a sticker tossed on the outside wrapper. Not sure if all third parties do this, but it's definately the case with them.

#28 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:30 AM

thanks mackaikai...I gave you credit (and linkage) in the OP, but I'm going to close your thread since this one is now bigger.

I've also added links to all $40 Asian edition games that work on US 360's.

#29 graf1k

graf1k

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:06 AM

BIG UPDATE

Does the online work good (i.e. connecting to US servers and opponents)? If so, I'm ordering Tomb Raider Legends & Quake 4 stat. And maybe Gun too.

#30 ajh2298

ajh2298

2009 Stanley Cup Champs

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:28 AM

Does the online work good (i.e. connecting to US servers and opponents)? If so, I'm ordering Tomb Raider Legends & Quake 4 stat. And maybe Gun too.

Its the same game UPC is the same, packaging is the same, all they did was ship me the U.S version of the game. There are not even any stickers on the packaging or anything to even mention anything about this being the asian release version. I have not tried it out yet but there is no difference in the version they sent me or the version I could go to Best Buy and buy right now,