Any ATL luck with DS Lites?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 simple

simple

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:34 PM

Anyone in Atlanta have any luck with the street-date-broken-DS-Lite sales? I'm getting jealous seeing all the good luck the rest of the country is having!!

#2 Tybee

Tybee

Rowsdower!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:15 PM

Everything I'm reading indicates it's a hopeless cause at this point. Corporate has got the memo out to WalMart, Target, and Sears NOT to sell any more.

#3 El Gray

El Gray

Obscurity Sponge

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:49 PM

No, don't think I've read of anyone getting one here.

As I mentioned elsewhere, they had them out at the Duluth SuperWM yesterday afternoon, but after about 3 employees tried, they eventually could not/would not sell one to my friend. There was an eventual discovery of the 11th as a release date, and that killed it with certainty.

#4 dberuvides

dberuvides

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:01 PM

I saw some at the Target at Northlake. This kid started shaking when he saw the DS Light.........*sigh* They had about 30 in the case.

#5 El Gray

El Gray

Obscurity Sponge

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:31 PM

I saw some at the Target at Northlake. This kid started shaking when he saw the DS Light.........*sigh* They had about 30 in the case.

So, what happened? Denied sale?

#6 dberuvides

dberuvides

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:45 PM

So, what happened? Denied sale?

No, he told his mom he was just happy to have one before all his friends and the clerk rang it up.
Future Eric Cartman in the making :roll:

#7 Tybee

Tybee

Rowsdower!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:48 PM

No, he told his mom he was just happy to have one before all his friends and the clerk rang it up.

When was this? And why didn't you get us any? ;)

#8 El Gray

El Gray

Obscurity Sponge

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2006 - 03:27 AM

You didn't buy one? Or do you already have one?

#9 dberuvides

dberuvides

Posted 02 June 2006 - 05:41 AM

You didn't buy one? Or do you already have one?

I already bought one. They seemed to have more boxes behind the 30 so they are still there probably.
It is small, the Xbox 360 harddrive is twice as big as the DS Lite

#10 El Gray

El Gray

Obscurity Sponge

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2006 - 05:16 PM

Well, I'll hit this on the way home tonight, unless someone tells me they're already out. Didn't have time last night.

#11 Tybee

Tybee

Rowsdower!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:51 PM

Well, I'll hit this on the way home tonight, unless someone tells me they're already out. Didn't have time last night.

Same deal as before? If you score, hook me up with one too. This sounds suspect to me, though. It's possible that they may have been selling them at one point, but I find it hard to believe that they'd still be selling 'em now, two days after the fact. Target was one of the first to bring the hammer down.

Still, judging by the main thread on the subject, some people are managing to get some places to part with them, even now.

#12 rupan_sansei

rupan_sansei

Master Thief

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:42 PM

I can confirm that as of about an hour ago they had no DS Lites at the Northlake Target (4241 Lavista Rd). The employee there said they didn't have them and thought they were coming out this month, but didn't know when.

I stopped by a K-Mart on the way home and they actually had them in the case. The guy was very happy to ring me up saying he had just put them out, but the computer system wouldn't allow it. After pulling out the Sunday ads for the next two weeks he found out he can't sell it till the 11th. So...close....

#13 Tybee

Tybee

Rowsdower!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:59 PM

I can confirm that as of about an hour ago they had no DS Lites at the Northlake Target (4241 Lavista Rd). The employee there said they didn't have them and thought they were coming out this month, but didn't know when.

I stopped by a K-Mart on the way home and they actually had them in the case. The guy was very happy to ring me up saying he had just put them out, but the computer system wouldn't allow it. After pulling out the Sunday ads for the next two weeks he found out he can't sell it till the 11th. So...close....

Man, that burns. Sorry, Ace. :( Thanks for the report and hopefully saving El Gray a drive.

#14 El Gray

El Gray

Obscurity Sponge

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2006 - 08:08 PM

D'oh. Yes, thanks very much for the info. Too bad about the KMart. I was considering a mission to one of those, myself.

#15 simple

simple

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2006 - 07:53 PM

Yeah, bummer... guess we'll have to wait a WHOLE WEEK to get ours!

#16 El Gray

El Gray

Obscurity Sponge

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:56 PM

Heh. Yeah. I even tried the "please look up this stock #" trick today, but had no luck. Ah, I can wait. Plenty of stuff to play in the meantime.

#17 organicow

organicow

Old-School Cheapass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2006 - 04:00 PM

I can confirm that the Edgewood Target has the DS Lite in the stockroom...marked for no sale. I tried the stock number trick on two different employees, and they were both wise to the situation. BOOO!!!
www.afighttothedeath.com
www.mediahostage.com

#18 simple

simple

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:04 PM

Well, at least I know where I'll be Sunday morning for sure - I live about two blocks from that Target! hehe

#19 El Gray

El Gray

Obscurity Sponge

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:04 PM

I made that same confirmation at Edgewood on Sunday, BUT it should be noted that the guy mentioned that he thought he had seven left in the back. Sounds like a few definitely got sold one way or another from there, don't you think? Wonder if they'll get in more than those seven before Sunday?

Anyway, I'll be hitting the Edgewood EB, as they have my $25.

Sounds like we're neighbors, simple. I'm near Moreland/Ponce.

#20 organicow

organicow

Old-School Cheapass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:38 PM

Ah, you guys make me jealous! I used to live down there at North & N. Highland (and used to work at Savage Pizza) and a few years ago I moved out to a house in Decatur. I miss it down there so much! So much in fact that the wife and I are seriously considering selling our house and moving back in town...I need easy access to my bars and coffeshops, dammit! And now that the Edgewood center has a Target, EB, BB, and Kroger all right there....I need not go anywhere else.

As for the DS - they were all definitely wise to the situation at that Target. Must've been a neon pink memo going around on that one!

I'll be grabbing mine at the Northlake EB on sunday...the manager out there is always super super nice to me. One time I went there looking for a used copy of a game, which they didn't have. He knew I was a regular customer, so he cracked open a brand new copy of the game and sold it to me as used. I couldn't believe it! I love it when employees realize and appreciate their regular customers; it was the exact opposite of the way I get treated at the North Dekalb Mall EB....those guys will never again get my money!

Hmmm.... I wonder if I could get mey little EB buddy to go ahead and make with the DS lite today......not likely...;)
www.afighttothedeath.com
www.mediahostage.com

#21 El Gray

El Gray

Obscurity Sponge

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:58 PM

Glad to have the lowdown on the DEC EBs. I almost drove over to the ND Mall store yesterday because the website and a phone call said that they had Phoenix Wright in stock. At least they called back before I left home to let me know that they did not.

Maybe I'll try the Northlake store sometime, though it's kind of a hike.

#22 Gator

Gator

A WINNER IS YOU

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:08 PM

Holy hell! I may have run into one of you guys at the Edgewood EB yesterday. I was there around 3ish trading in some games and picking up some new ones.

One guy (one of you, maybe) spent some time in front of the DS section and then moved up to the counter to ask about the Lite. I'm pretty sure that I overheard the employee confirming that they did have them in stock, but they weren't going to sell them before Sunday because they "didn't want to lose their contract with Nintendo."

#23 El Gray

El Gray

Obscurity Sponge

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:11 PM

Holy hell! I may have run into one of you guys at the Edgewood EB yesterday. I was there around 3ish trading in some games and picking up some new ones.

One guy (one of you, maybe) spent some time in front of the DS section and then moved up to the counter to ask about the Lite. I'm pretty sure that I overheard the employee confirming that they did have them in stock, but they weren't going to sell them before Sunday because they "didn't want to lose their contract with Nintendo."

Huh... was that an Asian dude? I may have overheard that conversation. If so, I was exiting the store at that time.

#24 GunsGermsSteel

GunsGermsSteel

Got a Life!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:56 PM

Maybe I'll try the Northlake store sometime, though it's kind of a hike.

Don't bother, Gray. I hit it up already and they got nothing.

#25 Tybee

Tybee

Rowsdower!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:00 PM

I made that same confirmation at Edgewood on Sunday, BUT it should be noted that the guy mentioned that he thought he had seven left in the back. Sounds like a few definitely got sold one way or another from there, don't you think? Wonder if they'll get in more than those seven before Sunday?

Anyway, I'll be hitting the Edgewood EB, as they have my $25.

Sounds like we're neighbors, simple. I'm near Moreland/Ponce.

I'll probably be at the Edgewood Target on Sunday too. If they don't have it, can always run over to the Best Buy.

Sounds like we're all pretty close. We have a house near the square in Decatur, near the intersection of W. Ponce and Commerce. Can't beat being a mile from Your Dekalb Farmer's Market. ;)

Organicow: What part of Decatur are you in? We love it, especially after suffering in Smyrna, Marietta, Kennesaw etc. Compared to those far flung locales, Decatur IS in town. ;)

#26 El Gray

El Gray

Obscurity Sponge

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:08 PM

We could have a big nerd-out meeting Sunday at Edgewood and trade Sunshine Codes, or whatever the hell it is that lets you play games against your friends on the DS.

That, or just get some burritos or something.

Do these things have a charge when you take 'em out of the box?

What time do all these stores open on Sunday? I'm guessing EB isn't before 10am.

#27 Tybee

Tybee

Rowsdower!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:24 PM

We could have a big nerd-out meeting Sunday at Edgewood and trade Sunshine Codes, or whatever the hell it is that lets you play games against your friends on the DS.

That, or just get some burritos or something.

Do these things have a charge when you take 'em out of the box?

What time do all these stores open on Sunday? I'm guessing EB isn't before 10am.

Or maybe we'll just converge and disperse anonymously, like geeky ships passing in the night. ;)

Isn't it considered a high crime to play with a DS (or an iPod, or any rechargable electronic toy) without charging it first?

#28 El Gray

El Gray

Obscurity Sponge

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:33 PM

Isn't it considered a high crime to play with a DS (or an iPod, or any rechargable electronic toy) without charging it first?

Yeah, I think they should be charged to their fullest ASAP, in theory. Just asking if they have any power at all out of the box.

#29 organicow

organicow

Old-School Cheapass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:48 PM

OK fellas, just in the FYI department:
In my suburban travels today, I hit the Northlake mall Sears just for kicks. The guy there said they had them but...blah blah blah June 11th.
Side note: they had 3 XB Live 12 month kits (with crimson skies) on clearance for $39. Not that great a deal, but its better than regular price, and these kits do work for the 360.
I also hit the ghetto-ass Tucker Wal-Mart. I actually ran into a guy there that was doing the same thing as me...he might be one of you guys for all I know! I followed the rule of "do not speak of CAG," so I'm not sure if he's one of us. Anyway, the clueless clerk went to the stock room and came back with 2 DS boxes. We both jumped a little...but then saw that the turd just had 2 regular DSs in her hands. Talk about premature ejaculation!! So, ghetto-thug Wallly World is a no-go.
So, my plan now is to head to the Northlake BB on Sunday (so I can use my RZ card), and if they don't have them I can always head over to EB where I have it preordered.
I can't believe we're all so desperate to get the goddamn things. :)
www.afighttothedeath.com
www.mediahostage.com

#30 Tybee

Tybee

Rowsdower!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:07 PM

I'm still waiting for Sears to cancel the $142 hold on my CC for the in-store pick up one I ordered (and promptly had cancelled) last week. Such a hassle for a silly little thing.

I can only imagine myself when the Wii comes along... :roll:

Anyway, if you guys want to meet up briefly on Sunday morning, I'm down.