Scripting on MTV shows a tad too obvious now

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Fatesealer

Fatesealer

Game spoiling expert :-(

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:56 PM

Save for The Real World, its become kind of boring to watch a 'reality' show on the channel and come to find out it's all been set up in advance. Room Raiders, The Hills, Next, hell even Pimp My Ride are all scripted. Where did all the realness go? :-(.

Edit: Speaking of Pimp My Ride, save for a few episodes, who the HELL would drive a car as shitty as some of them have? That truck that had no paneling at all (pretty much a frame with an engine) was bananas crazy and dangerous too. Who would drive a damn car with no door?
Posted Image

#2 bobo2k4

bobo2k4

OooSplendiforous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:07 PM

I didnt know people still watch MTV.
Posted Image
Props to Ozzkev for the sig.

#3 Fatesealer

Fatesealer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:15 PM

I didnt know people still watch MTV.

At least it's not ESPN like it was for the last month: SORIANO SORIANO SORIANO BONDS 'Harold Reynolds gone ya'll LOL' BONDS SORIANO SORIANO
Posted Image

#4 maddfrog

maddfrog

FANTASTIC!!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:16 PM

I thought the whole thing being scripted was a given. It's obivious that they are reading cue cards or reading from a script.

And sorry to burst your bubble on reality shows, but they are all fake. It's been proven in shows like Real World and the other "live together in a house," scenario that they instigate emotions for dramatic effect.

Good rule of thumb is that when you look in the credits and you see writers, then its not reality. Unless I missed something when they handed out writers for everyday interactions.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 niceguyshawne

niceguyshawne

Hardcore since '74

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:28 PM

Good rule of thumb is that when you look in the credits and you see writers, then its not reality. Unless I missed something when they handed out writers for everyday interactions.

Whose this guy following me then? He told me he was my writer.

#6 maddfrog

maddfrog

FANTASTIC!!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:31 PM

Whose this guy following me then? He told me he was my writer.

Damnit! I knew something was going on! My parents have lied to me all these years!:lol:

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 DT778

DT778

number 1 on the westside

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:37 PM

for pimp my ride I think xzibit just drives it a bit then they just tow it.

#8 niceguyshawne

niceguyshawne

Hardcore since '74

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:40 PM

for pimp my ride I think xzibit just drives it a bit then they just tow it.

You mean he doesn't take that shit out on the freeway?

#9 Gothic Walrus

Gothic Walrus

Goo Goo G'Joob.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:47 PM

At least it's not ESPN like it was for the last month: SORIANO SORIANO SORIANO BONDS 'Harold Reynolds gone ya'll LOL' BONDS SORIANO SORIANO

Well, what else is there to talk about when the NHL is in its offseason? ;)

ah, a voice of logic in the form of a walrus

#10 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:50 PM

I remember back in high school when this girl was trying to decide which of my three friends to date. Sure she blacklighted their beds, but the rest of Room Raiders isn't a thing like real life.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#11 Roufuss

Roufuss

is now a coupon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:52 PM

I remember back in high school when this girl was trying to decide which of my three friends to date. Sure she blacklighted their beds, but the rest of Room Raiders isn't a thing like real life.

My favorite episodes of Room Raiders is when they find the Xbox with 3 games (which are Madden, Halo, and a racing game) and the girl always dosen't choose him, because she "Dosen't want a guy obsessed with video games, those are for kids".

This is a true episode, I almost spit out soda laughing so hard. The dude had THREE games!!

I called my lady friend last night and said my buddy had to beat off on my chest, she is kinda pissed at me, but it was the best idea I had all night, and I stand by it.

Posted Image

#12 niceguyshawne

niceguyshawne

Hardcore since '74

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:57 PM

Madden is for teh hardcore, yo.

#13 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:58 PM

My favorite episodes of Room Raiders is when they find the Xbox with 3 games (which are Madden, Halo, and a racing game) and the girl always dosen't choose him, because she "Dosen't want a guy obsessed with video games, those are for kids".

This is a true episode, I almost spit out soda laughing so hard. The dude had THREE games!!

I don't usually watch any MTV, but for some reason one of my friends is constantly watching these shows so I end up catching one of these every now and then. My personal favorite Room Raiders that I have seen is this one where the guy who "wins" has a rock collection and some little metal figures, and a coin collection that he said chicks dig. I guess he was right. :lol:

Oh yeah, it was the Republican vs. Democrat vs. fat friend one. Highly recommended to anyone who hasn't scene it. A perfect train wreck.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#14 Michaellvortega

Michaellvortega

Halo 3 is coming........

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:15 PM

I like how people think they are so "CSI" because they can get a black light from walmart to look for things, whatever =; . Pimp my ride? I hate that show. Everyone has a sob story about how they have a bad car and this and that, but when they look in the cars the people always have old burgers, garbage and more garbage that they should have cleaned up in the first place. Most of the people on pimp my ride are not deserving of the pimping of their ride and or post their car on ebay the next day.
DISCLAIMER:These postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Posted Image

#15 DT778

DT778

number 1 on the westside

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:30 PM

^"thanks xzibit for pimping my ride. This is totally going to change my life forever."

edit: shit I would ebay it the night the show aired. What the Fuck would I do with a table tennis table on the back of my truck, shit I need that for work.

#16 lionheart4life

lionheart4life

The Human Suplex Machine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:41 PM

Well, what else is there to talk about when the NHL is in its offseason? ;)

Does ESPN even cover the NHL DURING their season? I thought all they talked about now was Yankees/Red Sox, Barry Bonds, Brett Favre and/or Roger Clemens possible retirements, and plugging the poker tournaments and other crap they show all the time instead of real sports.

ESPN barely shows highlights of any games that don't include the Yankees or Red Sox, and you almost wouldn't even know the National League existed any more if it weren't for Bonds. Baseball Tonight is a complete clusterfuck without Peter Gammons now too, it's just a bunch of guys speculating and throwing random picks out for who will turn the season around and make the playoffs with few facts or stats.

The MTV shows have always been obviously fake especially Room Raiders, Next, and Date my Mom. How many people make sex and penis jokes for an entire date on national TV, and how many moms talk about their daughters being sluts and how they are too outside of Jerry Springer? Only MTV can manage to make shows where absolutely nothing happens (Laguna Beach) and completely sucker girls into buying into it all.
Posted Image

#17 Fatesealer

Fatesealer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:59 PM

^"thanks xzibit for pimping my ride. This is totally going to change my life forever."

edit: shit I would ebay it the night the show aired. What the Fuck would I do with a table tennis table on the back of my truck, shit I need that for work.

The first season was at least decent. Now it's a race to see how many monitors they can put in the car and how much space they can take out of the car. Trunk space? Who's gonna need that when you have 13 monitors in your trunk, dawg.
Posted Image

#18 integralsmatic

integralsmatic

Everyday should be Harvey Day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:00 PM

Does ESPN even cover the NHL DURING their season? I thought all they talked about now was Yankees/Red Sox, Barry Bonds, Brett Favre and/or Roger Clemens possible retirements, and plugging the poker tournaments and other crap they show all the time instead of real sports.

ESPN barely shows highlights of any games that don't include the Yankees or Red Sox, and you almost wouldn't even know the National League existed any more if it weren't for Bonds. Baseball Tonight is a complete clusterfuck without Peter Gammons now too, it's just a bunch of guys speculating and throwing random picks out for who will turn the season around and make the playoffs with few facts or stats.

The MTV shows have always been obviously fake especially Room Raiders, Next, and Date my Mom. How many people make sex and penis jokes for an entire date on national TV, and how many moms talk about their daughters being sluts and how they are too outside of Jerry Springer? Only MTV can manage to make shows where absolutely nothing happens (Laguna Beach) and completely sucker girls into buying into it all.

Well the stories ESPN covers are what all local and national news papers covers...they will always cover the biggest stories as in what you said...bonds(which is an after thought), Sox/Yanks, Floyd Landis..etc...i dont mind hearing about sox/yanks news because its two teams that have the hugest rivarly in any sport...i say thats the most enjoyable news...you would know the NL existed because of Albert Pujols and not because of bonds...bonds is known for roids and not for the league. even clemens is in the NL so his name could be the poster for the NL......as for the NHL, ESPN didnt agree to the terms of the contract which was revenue for the NHL so the OLN bought out all the TV rights to broadcast national games...NBC has them on the weekend.its a pity you cant watch hockey on ESPN because wednesday night hockey was something i always put time for because they would always broadcast Red Wing Games...i can agree with most of the shows are crap on ESPN..im a poker player and i think the WSOP coverage is bland because all the hands are suck outs and none are played by skill. The contender though is a very good show IMO. Vinroy Wright is the man.
baseball tonight took a hit with firing reynolds and losing Gammons to a problem...Tim Kurkjin and Jason Stark should be the only guys doing any predicting and reporting on that show...STve Phillips is an idiot beyond belief...i mean seriously how many highlights can show in a game...the ones that matter are lead changing runs or a great robbery....run by run analysis can be seen on the teams local sports network anywayso its not like thats really important...thanks to SNY i can do that...i really dont care how the Devil Rays tacked on 19 runs against the yankees and how they did it. anyway its just a analysts show anyway...its the same as those guys who do stocks and stuff..its just for the hardcore baseball fan.

as for MTV...all the shows suck except for viva la bam...i dunno i just think the kid is funny.
Posted Image
Signature by Banshee350
Avatar(or Bust shot) done by Jeffery "CHAMBA" Cruz
R.I.P Nujabes aka Jun Seba (1974-2010) Another great musical mind ripped from our hands.
R.I.P Pat Carlucci- Rest easy my friend. You're with all of us in our hearts.

#19 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:45 PM

I remember a time when MTV used to be about the music, man.:cry:

HAPPY fucking BIRTHDAY, MTV!!! 2 or 3 good years of quality videos and music with the rest of your life devoted to pure garbage!

#20 Fatesealer

Fatesealer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:51 PM

I remember a time when MTV used to be about the music, man.:cry:

HAPPY fucking BIRTHDAY, MTV!!! 2 or 3 good years of quality videos and music with the rest of your life devoted to pure garbage!

Remember when VH1 was about videos? Remember when Cartoon Network showed ONLY cartoons?
Posted Image

#21 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:07 PM

Remember when VH1 was about videos? Remember when Cartoon Network showed ONLY cartoons?

Touche. Like Bob Dylan said, "The times they are a-changin'.":)

#22 Revenantae

Revenantae

Let there be code.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:13 PM

MTV isn't the only thing going downhill. In my youth I would never, in my wildest dreams, have imagined ESPN would devote so much time to poker.

#23 DT778

DT778

number 1 on the westside

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:21 PM

^ they also have spelling bees and darts tournaments on espn2

#24 Scahom1

Scahom1

Back from the dead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:41 PM

MTV isn't the only thing going downhill. In my youth I would never, in my wildest dreams, have imagined ESPN would devote so much time to poker.

The poker fad is still huge. Give it a few years, and the kiddies will find something else to go crazy about.

But yea, I've watched some of the SHIT MTV has put on the air lately. Yo' Momma, Next, Room Raiders, and that heavily scripted show when the parents pick a new girl/guy for their son/daughter to have sex with. It makes me sad...

Then of course there is TRL, where the same 10 stupid videos get played daily until the biscuitheads get bored and the artists "suck" so they find new ones to whore out. Yea you could scream out "OMG I love Sean Paul aahhhhhh!!!!", but if he wasn't making radio songs you wouldn't give 2 shits about him ;)

Sorry, rant over.
“Nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer." - Jack Thompson

Posted Image

#25 SMMM

SMMM

...roly poly fish $$$$s..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:27 PM

and when Sci-Fi wasn't showing Wrestling, TLC (formally "The Learning Channel") wasn't nothing but decorating shows, ect...

and let's not forget the whole TechTV/G4 fiasco...G4 doesn't even know what it wants to be anymore.

At least Comedy Central is still showing comedy....or at the very least, stuff that tries to be comedy.

#26 Rei no Otaku

Rei no Otaku

Rei's love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:44 PM

^ they also have spelling bees and darts tournaments on espn2

One time I saw a Magic: The Gathering tournament on ESPN2, no joke.

Rei_no_Otaku.png

#27 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:47 PM

You should watch MTV Hits. It's nothing but videos. Mind you, they're mostly pop, generic rap, and lite rock Top 40 garbage but the best part is that there aren't any commercials or shows. If you want some good music, you gotta get Fuse.

#28 6669

Inactive User

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:50 PM

Yeah, they are all horribly scripted. Unless MTV hires actors to pull this crap off, then they are not fooling anyone.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Free Magazines! | thanx CAGs! | MySpace

You that have that devil infactuation should really find a hobby or somethin?!?

#29 Michaellvortega

Michaellvortega

Halo 3 is coming........

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:05 PM

One time I saw a Magic: The Gathering tournament on ESPN2, no joke.

WTF?
DISCLAIMER:These postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Posted Image

#30 thespillcanvas

thespillcanvas

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:17 PM

I don't mind Pimp My Ride so much. It always cracks me up how they'll take a car, put 8 monitors in it, XBOX/PS2s in it, etc, and then expect them to park it in the street in a ghetto neighborhood.
If they had a spinoff show that showed how long each car lasted before being broken into, or stolen, that'd be a good show.