Photo
- - - - -

Anyone think Nintendo will drop a bomb come release..

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Thunderscope

Thunderscope

too cheap for a title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:13 PM

10 years ago when N64 was released everyone thought it was going to be $250 just until right before release when they said it was only going to be $199. Well givin the fact Nintendo has a crapload of Wii's to deliver and the demand what better way to increase that demand even more. Plus satisfy its fans and encourage people on the fence to hop over by surprising everyone with a cheaper launch price. Its not like Nintendo couldnt do this considering its estimated to cost them under $200 to build anyways.

#2 munch

munch

la tĂȘte de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:16 PM

I hope so. I wouldn't mind seeing an extra pack-in of some sort for buyers at launch (like the remote with the 360).

#3 botticus

botticus

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:20 PM

This sounds smackingly like "Do you think Nintendo will change the name of the console back to Revolution from Wii?"

Sure, they could, but I doubt it. Wait 6 months, you'll see your $200.

#4 SpottedNigel

SpottedNigel

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:25 PM

Nope. $250 sounds about right for what we're getting.

#5 Thunderscope

Thunderscope

too cheap for a title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:25 PM

Either way Im buying it but Nintendo could get in some more game sales by doing so and also sell more wiis, I cant see how they would lose. Either way its just $50 which doesnt make a difference to me.

#6 pdat2003

pdat2003

You Cannot Kill Jim Brass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:33 PM

As I have posted in similar threads, you're basically asking Nintendo to give up about $50 million worth of sales. I don't know any business that would do that. Plus their first party games sell well anyway, so the adoption rate of their games is close to 1:1. Its not like potentially selling less consoles at a higher price point is going to affect their software sales (where most of the companies make their money). They are essentially striking while the iron is hot and taking their profits up front.

#7 Thunderscope

Thunderscope

too cheap for a title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:36 PM

true, however if they can sell more wiis they'll make way more on software and accessory sales overtime. Its all about how big of an impact they wanna make at launch.

#8 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:41 PM

No. I'd certainly like to see some sort of 'buy the machine and 2 games, get a free wiimote' type deal though. You know. Put that game registration nonsense to good use for once.

#9 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:48 PM

No. The N64 price dropped because the Playstation droped to $200.

It doesn't look like MS is goign to drop the 360 price, so there's not much chance of Nintendo dropping price either. And honestly, even if they did I doubt Nintendo would follow suit anyway. They want to make a profit on each Wii sold right from the start.

#10 Sgt. Baker

Sgt. Baker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:26 PM

true, however if they can sell more wiis they'll make way more on software and accessory sales overtime. Its all about how big of an impact they wanna make at launch.

No, just no.

Launch? Impact? ha! Like the DS right? Yeah, people were just running each other over at launch. Neither have alot of consoles. I seem to remember alot of problems with the PS2 launch, and that system is doing great!

No. It's not about that at all. Noone really gave a flying Fuck about the DS at launch, and now, it is THE handheld. No questions asked. They didn't have to sell it at any less. Why should they? Nintendo is confident in their products. They usually are. Except for the N64, which, as has been pointed out, they dropped the price right before.

I think the problem with dropping the price before launch is you get alot of people already crying that the company has no faith in the product(hence the commotion around the 'tard pack for the PS3 price drop in Japan).

Personally, I think the price is more than adequate for what we are getting. You do realize we are getting a game pack in right? That hasn't happened since the SNES.

The price is FINE. Let it go. EVERYONE.

#11 Snake2715

Snake2715

Gotta Have Your Toys...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:44 PM

No, just no.

Launch? Impact? ha! Like the DS right? Yeah, people were just running each other over at launch. Neither have alot of consoles. I seem to remember alot of problems with the PS2 launch, and that system is doing great!

No. It's not about that at all. Noone really gave a flying Fuck about the DS at launch, and now, it is THE handheld. No questions asked. They didn't have to sell it at any less. Why should they? Nintendo is confident in their products. They usually are. Except for the N64, which, as has been pointed out, they dropped the price right before.

I think the problem with dropping the price before launch is you get alot of people already crying that the company has no faith in the product(hence the commotion around the 'tard pack for the PS3 price drop in Japan).

Personally, I think the price is more than adequate for what we are getting. You do realize we are getting a game pack in right? That hasn't happened since the SNES.

Not to go off topic BUT the day of DS release it was a bit hard to get a Ds and within a week it was sold out over here. Supply didnt let that last for long but I remember watching them sell for around $200 on ebay for a few weeks. So they did give a crap. And some people cashed in. Dont let anyone fool you into thinking that there wont be a markup on ebay for hte wii it will happen even if its short lived.

Its going to sell out somewhere.
-Josh

Posted Image
-courtesy of onetrackmind-

TRADE LIST

#12 Plinko

Plinko

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:51 PM

With all of the public hype for the system (polls, articles, etc), I can't see it happening.

#13 Kendal

Kendal

My sleep number is 69

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:08 PM

No, just no.

Um yeah, that is why I had 12 or more calls an hour from people looking for a DS from the launch day till around the second week of December when we could actually keep at least one DS in stock. I don't know how it was in your area, but in mine we had a great deal of high want, low systems.

But now I'm ready for D/P, excited and terrified. It's going to eat so many hours of my life.

I am a pussy :-(

Brawl FC: 3480 - 2198 - 7321 Name: KEN

#14 Sgt. Baker

Sgt. Baker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:19 PM

Sorry, in my area there was little to no demand for the system until the games started coming out.

#15 Z-Saber

Z-Saber

No longer a CAG regular

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:42 PM

I can see them dropping some sort of bombshell press release about a game, new uber-feature, or something on that lines, but not a price drop.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/z_saber
Origin: Z_Saber_64

#16 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:46 PM

Reggie's already got a new Learjet on order. That MSRP is going nowhere.

#17 elwood731

elwood731

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:46 PM

I can see them dropping some sort of bombshell press release about a game, new uber-feature, or something on that lines, but not a price drop.

Agreed. I think what we might see is an announcement relating to the VC, such as a free game download.

#18 oleander

oleander

TYRANNOSAURS IN F14s!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:02 AM

And you do realize that the SNES came with SUPER MARIO WORLD and not a mere tech demo, right?
:censored:

#19 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2006 - 01:28 PM

And you do realize that the SNES came with SUPER MARIO WORLD and not a mere tech demo, right?

You do realize that you've not played the final version of Wii Sports right so cannot judge its quality, right?

Posted Image

#20 Z-Saber

Z-Saber

No longer a CAG regular

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2006 - 01:55 PM

You do realize that you've not played the final version of Wii Sports right so cannot judge its quality, right?

And you (still talking to oleander) do realize people have played Wii Sports and said that it is enjoyable? Electroplankton is touted as a tech demo, but it's still very fun. Tech demo |= killjoy.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/z_saber
Origin: Z_Saber_64

#21 alongx

alongx

Soy loco por el Cornball

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:59 PM

No. The N64 price dropped because the Playstation droped to $200.

Also, if I remember correctly, they announced at E3 that it'd be $250, and then a few months before launch they changed it to $200. I think we're past the mark for news with the console itself. If we get anything surprising now, it'll be game announcements.
My gaming tally:

Posted Image

#22 David85

David85

Posted 07 October 2006 - 03:48 PM

If it were $50 cheaper more people would buy the system thus equaling more console sales and more game sales.
"It (Wii) would be a complete failure if we didn't sell more units than the Nintendo GameCube". - Satoru Iwata 2005

"If you asked me if Sony's strength in hardware was in decline, right now I guess I would have to say that might be true." - Ken Kutaragi 9-9-06

Finally they speak the truth.

#23 Guest_Apossum_*

Guest_Apossum_*

Posted 07 October 2006 - 04:10 PM

If it were $50 cheaper more people would buy the system thus equaling more console sales and more game sales.

my cat's breath smells like cat food.

#24 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2006 - 04:33 PM

You're suggesting there won't be enough people wanting to buy it at $250?
Currently Playing: Borderlands 2 (360), Black Ops (360)

Posted Image

#25 oleander

oleander

TYRANNOSAURS IN F14s!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:30 PM

As much fun as this sequence was...
I disagree...I can and do judge games without playing them quite frequently. Out of the games I own, probably at least 90% have been purchased without ever having played the game. But I'm being too literal and you probably meant I can't judge a game well or simply that I shouldn't (brings back fond memories of the "Can I go to the bathroom?" thing of elementary school, doesn't it?) judge games without having played them. All I can say to counter that is that I like the games I have, so I think it has worked out pretty well for me.

Even so, I am not saying that Wii Sports will be bad. When writing my original post, I had originally used "glorified tech demo" but changed it to "mere tech demo" because I deemed it to be a bit too strong (though admittedly, mere seems too strong the other way). Pac N Roll is what I would consider to be a glorified tech demo and quite fun; Wii Sports doesn't seem to have the same level of refinement or depth, though.

*********MAIN POINT*********
Wii Sports is not comparable to SMW. IMO, it is much closer to Hexic (which is also fun - I would like to make it perfectly clear that I am not saying it won't be fun), and I have never heard anyone mention Hexic as justification for the 360's price. I am not saying Wii Sports won't be fun. I expect it will be, in fact. But it is not anywhere near SMW, and no, I don't have to play it to figure that out.
*******END MAIN POINT*******

As an aside: how would you have felt if Nintendo had said the Wii was going to be $200 and then come launch day, every retailer forced you to buy Wii Sports for its MSRP of $50 to get a Wii? A little annoyed, maybe? Perhaps there might have been another game you would have rather spent the $50 on?

But to each his own (damn, a fragment...). It all comes down to your own conception of something's worth. Mine seems to be contrary to the dominant opinion, but that's how things go I guess...

Tech demo |= killjoy.

I am assuming you meant |= as a not equals operator, but perhaps you should use a different symbol. See entailment.
And I'm pretty sure I never said that being a tech demo means it is not fun, but whatever...

#26 Dr Mario Kart

Dr Mario Kart

SD/2D Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:41 PM

Wii Sports is great, in particular, Tennis. If I had someone to play it with I could go really competitive with it. You'd think there'd be a lack of depth because the characters move on their own, but you'd be wrong. Timing your swing to your own actions is easier than timing it to the computer movements. There is a lot of precision involved in your swing.

#27 alongx

alongx

Soy loco por el Cornball

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:00 PM

As an aside: how would you have felt if Nintendo had said the Wii was going to be $200 and then come launch day, every retailer forced you to buy Wii Sports for its MSRP of $50 to get a Wii? A little annoyed, maybe? Perhaps there might have been another game you would have rather spent the $50 on?

Nintendo isn't charging $50 extra for Wii Sports, though. Consider that in Japan, the only region where it isn't a pack in, Wii Sports' price is comparable to an expensive DS game, which is 1,000-2,000Y cheaper than your typical console release.

Wii Sports was packed in to give the perception of added value, whether its a great game or not. It costs them next-to-nothing to pack in and lets them charge what they wanted to charge.
My gaming tally:

Posted Image

#28 oleander

oleander

TYRANNOSAURS IN F14s!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:37 PM

Nintendo isn't charging $50 extra for Wii Sports, though. Consider that in Japan, the only region where it isn't a pack in, Wii Sports' price is comparable to an expensive DS game, which is 1,000-2,000Y cheaper than your typical console release.

Wii Sports was packed in to give the perception of added value, whether its a great game or not. It costs them next-to-nothing to pack in and lets them charge what they wanted to charge.

Yeah, I know...but I was one of those who felt that Nintendo implied a $200 price, so it feels like $50. Even at $30-$40, though, I'd rather have the money to spend on another game.

#29 DesertEagleXIX

DesertEagleXIX

Semper Economus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:45 PM

People will buy the Wii at launch at $250. If two million people buy the console in the first month at $250, they would have lost 100 million dollars in revenue selling the system at $199.

The price will drop, but after Nintendo sees how will the Wii is/isn't doing.
Posted Image
www.tech-gaming.com

#30 epobirs

epobirs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:47 PM

No, the tech demo they sold as a full priced game. It's called Pilot Wings. It was derived from the code first used to demo Mode 7 effects for the press in Japan about a year before the Super Famicom launch.
If I thought I needed to get out in the sunshine I'd play Boktai.