Photo
- - - - -

Wii to launch early? No, seriously, Best Buy says so!

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:39 AM

Nothing like trolling gaming blogs to bolster the post count.

http://www.kotaku.co...arly-206059.php

Best Buy's (Yup, the same people who told us the 360 will play 90% of original Xbox games) internal computers say that the Wii will be coming at the end of October. There's already been speculation around that we might see a street date broken like for the DS Lite. Getting units to stores in the last days of October makes sesnse (didn't the DS Lite street date break happen ~2-3 weeks before release day?) so that there's stock in all the stores for the 19th.

If so, how many CAGs can con a Wii out of local retailers 3+ weeks early? ;)

Posted Image

#2 dallow

dallow

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:45 AM

I haven't saved my money yet! :(
"i drive a rolls royce / cause it's good for my voice"
3DS Friend Code: 3609-1044-7487

#3 Bazz

Bazz

SamuelElbaz.Blogspot.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:46 AM

That would be awesome if they had an early Launch. I don't see why they would want to launch after PS3 might as well Launch the system if you got them in the stores. Why do companies make a big deal about this stuff I will never know.

I need 1 more sign up if anyone could help please. http://www.yourfree360games.com/index.php?ref=244985
SamuelElbaz.Blogspot.com-Do me a favor and check it out. Would love to hear your feedback;)

#4 PenguinoMF

PenguinoMF

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:46 AM

I going to go with a mistake on the shipment date. I dont think any systems will break the street date.

EDIT: On a side note PS3 package weighs 15 pounds.

#5 Ikohn4ever

Ikohn4ever

No Women, No Children

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:48 AM

i was plannin on gettin my shit from EB but I would use my real money to get it at BB if they break the date
"Men have become the tools of their tools." - Thoreau
Smash Code
1805-1831-0940 Ikohn
Posted ImagePosted Image DVDs My Games

#6 Liquid 2

Liquid 2

Dutch Dreams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:23 AM

My friend works at GameStop. Hopefully a few bucks in his direction will convince him to let a console go early for me.

#7 equest943

equest943

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:55 AM

I remember when the Super Nintendo released early under everyone's nose. A friend of mine got it about two weeks early and then my mom bought mine for me two days later. Who knows.

#8 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:57 AM

Whee... Wii UPC. Just what I needed to do some digging at work. :)
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#9 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:08 AM

I think we're all missing out on the real story here: we have confirmed dimensions for the final retail box.

#10 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:15 AM

I don't have money for it yet, haha. So I'll still be getting mine on November 19th. At least I can get some impressions from some "real people" before I buy mine.

#11 Oops! I did it again.

Oops! I did it again.

The Circus era is HERE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:56 AM

Hopefully stores don't break the street date on games or consoles.

I have my entire Wii Budget tied up in a loan 'til then, that's why! :)

I'd hate if they released games early and then on the 19th I couldn't get all I want. Weak. Same for consoles, especially...that'd kill my launch day, even if I was able to find one later.

#12 trunks982

trunks982

Wii are the Champions!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:59 AM

I going to go with a mistake on the shipment date. I dont think any systems will break the street date.

EDIT: On a side note PS3 package weighs 15 pounds.

If PS3 weights 15 LBS, how much does 360 and xbox weigh respectively.

#13 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:00 AM

Nothing like trolling gaming blogs to bolster the post count.

http://www.kotaku.co...arly-206059.php

Best Buy's (Yup, the same people who told us the 360 will play 90% of original Xbox games) internal computers say that the Wii will be coming at the end of October. There's already been speculation around that we might see a street date broken like for the DS Lite. Getting units to stores in the last days of October makes sesnse (didn't the DS Lite street date break happen ~2-3 weeks before release day?) so that there's stock in all the stores for the 19th.

If so, how many CAGs can con a Wii out of local retailers 3+ weeks early? ;)

I can probably con a Wal-Mart employee if they mistakenly bring the stock out one night before the morning management can catch the error. Unlike certain movies and CDs, Nintendo has never mandated a lock until the street date on the UPCs at point of sale stations. It would almost seem that Nintendo is looking the other way with regards to street date breaks, perhaps because they can generate extra media attention.

#14 evilmax17

evilmax17

Yardsaling CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:13 AM

Here's hoping that Target didn't learn anything from the DS Lite bungle. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Michaellvortega

Michaellvortega

Halo 3 is coming........

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:22 AM

I think it's best that Nintendo release it as soon as they can, this way maybe they can for a while distract people from the PS3 or attempting to purchase a PS3. Hope it's true.
DISCLAIMER:These postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Posted Image

#16 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:27 AM

That would be awesome if they had an early Launch. I don't see why they would want to launch after PS3 might as well Launch the system if you got them in the stores. Why do companies make a big deal about this stuff I will never know.

Well you kinda need games to go with the system. The Wiis are ready but no mention has been made about the games being packaged or shipping numbers.

#17 hfdpro

hfdpro

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:25 AM

Brilliant move by the big N to release days after the PS3. The early adopters of the PS3 will most likely be the hardcore fanboys, and some ebayers, supply dictates that. Now picture the people who are on the fence, who at launch cannot find a PS3 and refuse to pay the ebay prices. These are the frustrated masses that will purchase the readily available Wii along with the gamer who has already made up their mind that they must have one. My prediction, the Wii will break all console sales records, early launch or not.

#18 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:38 AM

Well you kinda need games to go with the system. The Wiis are ready but no mention has been made about the games being packaged or shipping numbers.

It'll at least have Wii Sports in. That's 1/2 of the games I'm going to be getting before the new year, so I'd be ok with only having Wii Sport for 3 weeks... as long as they put out extra controllers early too ;)

Posted Image

#19 help1

help1

What a dumb username

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:09 PM

Brilliant move by the big N to release days after the PS3. The early adopters of the PS3 will most likely be the hardcore fanboys, and some ebayers, supply dictates that. Now picture the people who are on the fence, who at launch cannot find a PS3 and refuse to pay the ebay prices. These are the frustrated masses that will purchase the readily available Wii along with the gamer who has already made up their mind that they must have one. My prediction, the Wii will break all console sales records, early launch or not.

Really? It really ISNT brilliant. Had they launched before the PS3, hype would have been generated BEFORE PS3, thus cutting a little chip out of PS3's hype cube, but with the shortage of PS3's there will be tons of hype and in schools (you know, the primary market) everyone will be talking about the PS3, NOT the Wii. The Wii wont even make a mark. It will start making chips again when Sony fails to provide consoles to the anixious after weeks of waiting.

#20 furyk

furyk

Captain of the Handheld

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:39 PM

Really? It really ISNT brilliant. Had they launched before the PS3, hype would have been generated BEFORE PS3, thus cutting a little chip out of PS3's hype cube, but with the shortage of PS3's there will be tons of hype and in schools (you know, the primary market) everyone will be talking about the PS3, NOT the Wii. The Wii wont even make a mark. It will start making chips again when Sony fails to provide consoles to the anixious after weeks of waiting.

It's a hugely brilliant move. The PS3 shortages will leave more then one parent saying "fuck this, I'm getting Mario". Furthermore, if the Wii launched before the PS3, everyone would be talking about Sony's machine two to three days later. Now though, people who want the Wii will overwhelm the voices of people who have a PS3 and aren't ebaying. There are quite a few people out there who will get fed up with the low avalibility and high price of the PS3, so much so that they may say Fuck Sony in a mighty bout of nerd rage. You seriously underestimate the buying power of a jittled nerd.

#21 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:56 PM

The Wii will not launch early. Sega's mistakes with the Saturn are good lessons to learn. The Nintendo reps and stores need until the 19th to fully setup the new retail racks and demo units.

However, as I said earlier it seems Nintendo turns a blind eye to stores breaking the release dates "on accident" There were no reports of punishment for Target or Wal-Mart selling the DS lite early. I picked up a GBA SP a week before its launch.

Stores breaking the "street date" could lead to news stories (free PR) before the PS3 launch. The PS3 will launch on Friday and capture the domestic news on Nov. 17th, sellouts are almost a certainty with such a small shipment.

However, the Wii will launch on Sunday and probably have a decent launch even with street date breaks and Nintendo will have PR reps ready to push the Wii on the news channels starting Monday morning and instead of crowing about their sellouts they will be able to tout sales and tell parents that they have many more on the way. No Elmo TMX or PS3 shortages with the Wii and as such no bidding wars on eBay driving prices through the roof. Nintendo will also have half a week for stores to move units from distrubution centers to stores in order to replinish stock for Black Friday.

Nintendo may have just setup the best possible senario for their launch. The PS3 launch might be news for only one day and even if the news channels do show the Wii and PS3 side by side I wager parents wont be able to tell a big differnece in graphics because news channels tend to show video of games being played rather than a direct feed from the console.

#22 ksuwild25

ksuwild25

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:04 PM

It's a hugely brilliant move. The PS3 shortages will leave more then one parent saying "fuck this, I'm getting Mario". Furthermore, if the Wii launched before the PS3, everyone would be talking about Sony's machine two to three days later. Now though, people who want the Wii will overwhelm the voices of people who have a PS3 and aren't ebaying. There are quite a few people out there who will get fed up with the low avalibility and high price of the PS3, so much so that they may say Fuck Sony in a mighty bout of nerd rage. You seriously underestimate the buying power of a jittled nerd.

Those people could get a 360 instead of a Wii. If the Wii was out for a week or two, at least there would be consumer reviews, etc. that could in addition help sway consumers that miss out on PS3. Instead Nintendo is relying on just hype for the people that can't get a PS3 and want a next-gen console.

#23 botticus

botticus

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:17 PM

Those people could get a 360 instead of a Wii. If the Wii was out for a week or two, at least there would be consumer reviews, etc. that could in addition help sway consumers that miss out on PS3. Instead Nintendo is relying on just hype for the people that can't get a PS3 and want a next-gen console.

They could, but they could have gotten a 360 for the last year as well. There will probably be plenty of people who choose a 360 when the PS3 is gone, but the Wii has the "new" factor. And it's a hugely cheaper purchase than a PS3.

#24 Plinko

Plinko

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:23 PM

XBox 360 isn't "new," and we all know how fickle kids can be.

#25 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:26 PM

They could, but they could have gotten a 360 for the last year as well. There will probably be plenty of people who choose a 360 when the PS3 is gone, but the Wii has the "new" factor. And it's a hugely cheaper purchase than a PS3.

Exactly, the 360 doesn't play into any talk of PS3 vs. Wii launch dates at all. It may be an option for parents who can't find a PS3 for Christmas, but that wouldn't have anything to do with the topic of launch-hype.

Posted Image

#26 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:47 PM

However, as I said earlier it seems Nintendo turns a blind eye to stores breaking the release dates "on accident" There were no reports of punishment for Target or Wal-Mart selling the DS lite early. I picked up a GBA SP a week before its launch.

Who's going to punish Target or Wal-Mart? Seriously?

NoA Rep: So, our records show that you sold three Wiis on the 18th, although they were clearly marked for a November 19th release date.
Wal*Mart Rep: And?
NoA Rep: Well, per our contract, I'm going to have to fine you $2,000 per unit that was sold early for a total of $6,000.
WM Rep: Okay. We'll pay that right away. Also, I'll need a Return Authroization Number.
NoA Rep: What? Why do you need an RA Number?
WM Rep: Well, we'd rather not risk getting fined for selling any more of your product, so we're just going to send it back.
NoA Rep: "Send it back"?!? Send what back?!?
WM Rep: All of it. All of our Nintendo Stock.

Seriously, no one is going to punish any major chains unless the breaking of the street date was intentional, chain-wide and done with large scale numbers... or...

NoA Rep: Well, I'm sorry, I can't authorize that. I'll have to get Reggie on the phone.
WM Rep: Reggie? Oh.. ummm... You know what? Nevermind that. I think we'll just go ahead and authroize that payment now. In fact, we'll throw in a couple thousand extra, just so y'all know how sorry we are.
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#27 elwood731

elwood731

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

Seriously, no one is going to punish any major chains unless the breaking of the street date was intentional, chain-wide and done with large scale numbers... or...

This is true. Wal-Mart breaks street date all the time of a wide variety of products, including books, CDs, movies, etc. It's one of the ways they "compete" with local mom and pop shops, since they actually will be penalized for breaking street date. No one messes with Wal-Mart these days, and for that matter any of the big chains. It just isn't worth the hassle or potential lost sales.

#28 help1

help1

What a dumb username

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:12 PM

XBox 360 isn't "new," and we all know how fickle kids can be.

And we also know how kids like expensive things.

#29 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:20 PM

ps 3 weighs 15 pounds but WII 23 doubtful

also i can tell you this right now BEST BUY WILL NOT BREAK STREET DATE.

Best buy had the 199.99 PSP packs 2 weeks before they went on sale yet refuse to sell them ahead of time.
WOOOO I STINK

#30 danny-o

danny-o

Mayor of NASTYVILLE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:30 PM

Yup, the same people who told us the 360 will play 90% of original Xbox games

Uhhh.it DOES play 90% of the old xbox games...as long as you have circuit city install backwards compatiblity for only $30!